Among the Stars

by Psyche_B

Go to Prologue


This story has been tumbling around in my head for almost a year.  With not a whole lot to keep my mind occupied during the day except for day time television.  Some of which has been shown to decrease I.Q by five points every time you watch.  I do not own the characters although I certainly wish I did.  Set in the future the story revolves around the personal and professional lives of the officers of the Star Traveler Andromeda as it travels past the known planets. 

CHAPTER 20A

> Eternus was within sight. The engineers were busy making sure the materiel that they would upgrade the relay tower was in working order. They poured over the schematics and gathered all the tools they would need. The tower was near the area the ship would land. For the past two days, scientists and botanists have been analyzing water and plant samples that were collected remotely. The results were promising. The water was clear and the plant life was harmless. At least near where they would be landing.
>
> This would be the first time in four months that the residents of Andromeda would step off the ship. Everyone was looking forward to breathing something that had not been put through at least six filters before it reached their lungs. The crew was used to long period in space. The civilians were not.
>
> The last meeting with the department heads was winding down. All preparations were completed. They were more than ready. The ship would spend at least a week on Eternus while the upgrades were being made. All the shuttles and one half the stingers would launch before they landed. They would land once Andromeda was on the surface. Launching the smaller ships while Andromeda was on the surface was dangerous. So it was decided that the ships would be outside the hanger while Andromeda was on the surface. The stingers would be used to map out the entire planetoid. The shuttles would carry the scientists to the areas they would be able to gather what ever samples they wanted.
>
> Kate issued a series of directives to the entire ship. No one was to wander around alone. They must remain inside the safe perimeter. Everyone must return to the ship by twenty three hundred hours each night. No one would be allowed to sleep outside the ship without permission and only with an armed guard. No one knew what would come out after dark. Until plants or animals had been checked out and deemed safe, no one should touch any of the plants. Shock sticks would be placed at a distance of two thousand feet around the ship. While the sticks would not kill any one they would send out a shock. Those would be turned on at twenty one hundred hours each night. The area would be well lit.
>
> Kate dismissed the department heads once the meeting was concluded. Kacey held back after the rest had filed out. She poured herself another cup of coffee and brought one to Kate. She sat down in the chair across from Kate.
>
> "What is on your mind?" Kate asked.
>
> "Remember back to that first briefing we had before we launched?"
>
> "Sort of. You have to be more specific Kacey."
>
> "When we both wanted to know who was in charge?"
>
> "I was officially going to turn command over to you tomorrow."
>
> "Could you hold off?" Kacey asked.
>
> "Care to explain why?"
>
> "Since we left earth, you have done a fantastic job running the ship. My Marines and I would follow you into hell if you asked us to."
>
> "That is because you are their commander.".
>
> "No they respect you Kate. Can you say the same about your crew?"
>
> "Yes they would"
>
> "I do not think so, Kate. How can I lead them if I have not earned their respect. They would be comparing our command styles"
>
> "Haven't earned it? After Marcus Prime and the Castor problem, my crew would follow any command you gave them. Where is this bout of insecurity coming from? Did you and Natalia have a fight?"
>
> "Hell no. No fights in fact we are great. I would not even call it insecurity."
>
> "Then why?"
>
> "I need to look for something on Eternus. Anya said she would help me find what I am looking for. That would mean I would be away from the ship for a time. I can not be in command if I am away from the ship searching for this thing."
>
> "Who else is going on this little side trip?"
>
> "Just the two of us."
>
> "Then permission denied." Kacey started to protest. "Unless" Kate cut off her protest. "you take two armed guards and you both are armed."
>
> "Kate, I am not crazy, of course we will be armed and I will take a couple Marines with us. But please no video lock. This is important."
>
> "You are disappearing with my wife, the mother of our children and going off on this secretive mission . You ask me not to have you on video lock. No Kacey that is not going to happen. Why all the secrecy?"
>
> "Damn it Kate I need to find a special rock."
>
> "A ROCK? You want me to approve this mission for a rock. This whole planetoid is filled with rocks,"
>
> "This particular type can only be found on the Northern side, Kate."
>
> "Northern side? There are supposed to be... Does this special rock have anything to do with a former Queen? Will this rock me made into a piece of jewelry? A ring perhaps ?"

> "You know damn well it does, Kate."
>
> "I thought I heard the "L" mentioned during the party."
>
> "Do not go there Kate." Kacey warned.
>
> "Seems to me just a few days ago you said it was a very strong "Like". Now you have progressed to love. Be certain of your feeling Kacey Do not put yourselves through the emotional upheaval of thinking it is love if it is not. You will not only hurt yourself, but Natalia as well."
>
> "I want to be prepared for the time when I am completely sure."
>
> "That is good to hear." Kate stated.
>
> "So do I the Captain's approval for this mission?"
>
> "Yes mission approved."

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page