Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 13

"Talia nothing you can possibly say will..."

"How about you just hold me for a minute?" Natalia said. Kacey put her arms around the smaller woman and held her. They stood in the silence. After several minutes, Natalia raised her head from it's resting place. "Are you calmed down enough to talk?"

Kacey sighed, released the smaller woman, and walked to the window. "I do not think there is anything you can say that will calm me down after what General Millhouse just said."

"What is so wrong about our moving onto the base?"

"It is running away and hiding. My whole life, I was not raised or trained to run."

"Then forget your damned training and think about what he is really asking. He said we were targets and that the whole family needs to be protected. Even the President knows when..."

"That is different." Kacey interrupted.

"How? Explain to me how the President seeking a safe place for her family so that she can continue to concentrate on avoiding another war is different from your moving to safety so that you can concentrate on doing your job, is different. General Millhouse and Admiral Tacher are not fools. They know who to put their faith in. They also know that the fastest way to get to you is to go after your family. I imagine those bastards know it also. The brass are removing that possible weakness by moving us all to a safe place." Natalia stopped and waited. When Kacey remained silent she continued. "Sweetheart, we all need you. Your parents, sisters, nieces, children and..." she paused as her voice cracked. I need you."

Kacey turned from the window to see her love with tear filled eyes. "Oh babe, I am so sorry that I am an insensitive bitch. I put my pride and ego before you and the children."

"Please come to the base with us." Natalia pleaded.

"I will move to the base with you and the children."

Natalia stood on tip toes and kissed Kacey. "Thank you." She felt Kacey laugh. "What is so funny?"

"Kate has probably told the brass not to worry. That I am a pushover for anything you ask me to do."

"Is that so bad?"

"Not at all. You are probably the only person in the world that can make me change my mind with out an argument or direct order. At some point she will tell General Millhous I told you so."

"Then shall we go out and see?"

"I would much rather stay right here with you and block out the rest of the world."

"We can not do that, Kacey. Our children are out there and the babies will be waking up shortly to nurse."

"All right." Kacey sighed and led the way to the door.

-------------------------

"There is a special area of the base that is away from the base proper so that you will not be bothered by all the equipment and activity. There are a total of twenty four condos in eight buildings and are all state of the art. We have people stocking the houses with food. They are all fully furnished so all you will have to bring our whatever personal items you want or need, like cribs. As soon as you are all ready, we will have people here to help you move. We want to make this transition as smooth as possible."

"If it were not for the mandatory two year waiting period between deep space missions, you would all be on your way out again." Admiral Tacher stated.

"But the problem would still be here, General." Kacey stated. "Possibly worse than it is now."

"That is very true Kacey. Have you reached a decision?"

"Yes, I have, but before I tell you, I would like your word that when we are ready, I will be leading my troops and not just sitting behind a desk."

"Kacey you..."

Kacey held up a hand to stop her. "This is something I need to do."

"I told you before that you would lead the mission. Now you have my word."

"Thank you General. We will all be moving to the base. How soon do you want us there?"

"Before this planned attack takes place, so by the end of the week."

"I said to have faith General." Kate said which caused Kacey to shrug.

"Close enough."

--------------------

The house quieted after everyone left. The older children were asleep in the nursery, with Patricia and Liam using the Master bedroom. Kacey waited for Natalia to finished cleaning up after nursing the babies who now slept peacefully in their bassinets. There was a tension between them. Natalia was angry. Kacey knew her timing stunk and now had to smooth the ruffled feathers of her irate spouse.

Kacey sat in the rocking chair between the bassinets. Natalia returned to their makeshift bedroom. She climbed into bed after removing her robe.

"Want to talk about it?" Kacey asked softly as her parents were in the bedroom above them.

"What is there to talk about. You have obviously made up your mind and there is no sense going over it again."

"It is not like that at all."

"Did you know when we were in here earlier that you were going to use that as a condition?"

"It was in the back of my mind, but I did not plan on making it a condition. General Millhouse told me weeks ago that I would be in charge."

"So you took advantage of the situation to make sure you would not be stuck behind a desk."

"Talia..."

"No Kacey, this is just more ego bullshit."

"It is my job, my responsibility."

"We are also your responsibility, Kacey." Natalia stated as she turned off the light and turned away from Kacey.

"You know I love you, Talia."

"I know and I love you too."

"But you are still angry with me."

"Yes and I do not want to talk about it anymore tonight."

"It will still be there in the morning." Kacey said and turned off the light. She turned to put her arm around Natalia, felt her stiffen and removed her arm. She lay on her back and starred at the ceiling. She knew from the stiffness that Natalia was still awake. She felt Natalia relax and her breathing even out. She knew that sleep would not be coming her way any time soon so she slowly got up. Grabbing her robe, she left the room pulling the door closed behind her.

Kacey grabbed the brandy, a glass and filled a bowl with ice. She carried the three out to the patio. She turned on one of the security lights and set her bundles on the table. She poured herself a drink and sat starring at the moonlight reflected off the smooth surface of the pool. She quickly lost track of time.

"Everything all right lass?" Kacey jumped. "I did not mean to startle ye. Your mother noticed the light and saw a shadow out here and... well you know her."

"I am sorry she woke you, dad."

I am not. So what is on your mind lass?"

"I screwed up tonight dad."

"How so?"

"I pushed my responsibility to my family to take second place to my damn job and my desire for justice. Talia is pissed to the point where she does not even want me to touch her. The worst part is I cannot blame her for being pissed. She is right."

"So what will ye do?"

"I need them to be the priority and to do that I need to be here. That leaves me only one option. I am going to submit my resignation to General Millhouse first thing in the morning."

"Ah I think that would be the wrong thing for ye to do."

"How can you say that dad. If I am no longer a Marine, I and my family will no longer be targets. They will be safe."

"No Kacey. Willhelm made this battle personal years ago. He will not let this go just because you resign."

"But Talia and the children will be safe. They need to be number one in my life."

"They are lass. As I understand this, Natalia is angry because she thinks you made your leading the fight a condition to moving to the base without talking to her first."

"That was not my intention, but that is how it played out."

"Then why not just tell General Millhouse that you changed your mind."

"Just, dad? If I do that I may as well admit that I am a coward."

"That is your pride talking now." Liam said sharply. "Any one who knows you, knows that you are no coward, but tis a decision only you can make."

"No matter what I decide it will be wrong for someone. If it is right for Talia and the children it is wrong for me. Right for me is wrong for them. I don't know what to do. If I make the wrong decision, it could cost me my marriage and family and that is a price that I am not willing to pay."

Natalia stood in the doorway behind them and listened to their conversation. She was ashamed that she was mad at Kacey when she should have been supportive.

-------------------

"WHO GAVE THE ORDER TO ATTACK THE PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND?" Willhelm screamed as he stormed into the leader's office.

"No one here Curt. The attack was not the work of our people. There is a rogue element out there. Take whatever men you need and find them. Our targets are now on the alert. The President is in a secured location. Chances are the others will follow."

"What about the planned attacks? Do we cancel them?"

"No. the attacks will proceed as planned. There is a leak here Willhelm. You find it and plug it."

"Yes sir. We will check every computer for any unauthorized transmissions."

"When you find them, I want whoever it is dealt with quickly and decisively."

"I understand sir."

"No quarter Willhelm."

"No quarter sir."

"Bring Manny in. He is a computer whiz."

"I will talk to him as soon as he returns tomorrow. He went to get supplies."

"Good and Willhelm keep an eye on Wilson."

"Wilson sir? Do you think he may be the leak?"

"What I know is he is not as committed to our cause as he pretends to be. You brought him in, he is your responsibility. It is up to you to find out if he is really with us."

------------------------

"General, I have more information on the targets." Manny stated and handed the paper to General Millhouse. "The attempted incursion into the Presidential compound was not planned by the leader. There is another faction out there."

"Do you have any idea who the leader is."

"He is very secretive and does not make many appearances. I have only seen him a few times. I was able to get a picture of him from that little toy you gave me." He handed the picture to the General.

"Oh my God." General Millhouse uttered as he fall back in the chair as if his legs could no longer support him.

"General?" Manny call out.

General Millhouse waved him away. "I am all right Manny. It was a shock seeing him."

"Who is he?"

"The devil incarnate." He answered and picked up his phone. Without preamble he spoke. "Charles we have a problem. He is no longer in his island prison."

"Are you sure?"

"I am looking at a picture taken a few days ago, far away from the island."

"I will have security check it out and be in your office in thirty minutes."

"That will give me time to explain to our friend who he is." He hung up the phone and stood to pour them each a drink. He handed one to Manny. General Millhouse paced. "His name is Milo Corning. Twenty years ago there was an, you could almost call it an epidemic of missing women. During an eighteen month period over one hundred women disappeared from a three state area. In those same months, body parts started to show up. He tortured, raped murdered and dismembered the women he abducted. Less than half the women have been found. He was captured when he got careless and made a mistake. When he was convicted he was sentenced to solitary confinement on a small uninhabited island."

"Why was he not put to death?"

"Sad to say he made a deal. There are still a lot of his victims that we have not found. Each year on the anniversary of his conviction, we are given the locations of five body parts."

"So as long as there are locations, he remains alive."

"Those women who are still missing deserve justice also." General Millhouse stated, "Before you ask, there is a security dome around the island so that he could not leave. He wears an ankle monitor."

"He has no contact with the outside world?"

"None. Once a month, a small section at the top of the dome is opened and supplies are dropped in to him. He places the locations of body parts in a small box which is taken out the same way. He has had no human contact at all."

"Then how did he manage to get off the island?"

"And when. Unfortunately I have no answers for either question."

The door opened and Admiral Tacher walked in. "Tuck, according to security scans, there is someone on that island wearing that ankle monitor. I have sent a squad to search the island."

"I thought those monitors could not be removed without all sorts of alarms going off." Manny stated.

"Normally it does, but he either found a way or his tendrils reach deeper into the administration than we first thought."

"So we have no idea how long he has been free." General Millhouse said.

"I am willing to wager it has been at least four years." Admiral Tacher answered. "What do we do now?"

"My first thought is to pull Manny out."

"You and I are the only ones who know that many works for us. But I have to agree."

"Should I not have a say in this?" Manny questioned.

"You are correct, Manny. When do you need to go back?"

"Tomorrow night. I came for electronic supplies."

"If you wish to return to continue your mission, come here and we will outfit you with equipment for your protection." General Millhouse informed him.

"Or if you decide not to return, you have a place here with us. You are too valuable to lose."

"I do not plan of getting lost Admiral. The electronics that I will be installing on all their computers will allow you to see everything that goes on in the cavern. In addition to everything that is sent out. It will take me a few days to get everything set up. After that if I feel my security has been compromised I will signal for a pickup."

"We will be in touch, Manny."

The man stood and left the room. "Can this situation get any worse?" General Millhouse asked. "First we hear about planned attacks on several unprotected villages in the near future. Now we find out that they are led by a homicidal maniac."

"How has he managed to curb those killing urges the last few years?" Admiral Tacher asked.

"Who is to say he has and we just have not found the bodies yet."

"Tuck I am going to stick my neck out here and ask you to reconsider sending General O'Malley to lead the charge."

"I gave her my word Charles."

"May I remind you that her wife is the Queen of the Marcus Islands and that they have four young children."

"You do not need to remind me Charles. Or that she is the Queen's protector and defender. Or the fact that if anything were to happen to her, I would have Patricia after my ass again. Neither of us wants that."

Despite the seriousness of the situation they both laughed.

--------------------

After Liam left, Kacey finished her drink but remained seated as she starred at the moon's reflection on the pool water.

"Kacey?" Natalia called softly.

"Talia is everything all right?"

"Colleen woke up and wanted to be fed. I was getting a bottle ready for Shannon. You were not in bed and I was wondering where you were." She sat on Kacey's lap.

"I could not sleep so I came out here to think so that I would not disturb you."

"Feel like talking about it?"

"Yeah but how about at a more friendly hour."

"All right. Are you coming back to bed?"

"After Shannon wakes up I will. You go back to bed and I will take care of her."

"You need rest also. You are not indestructible."

Kacey gave her a shocked look. "I'm not?" She joked.

"No you are not. And I would rather you not burn yourself out either. I need you. You are my rock, Kacey. I love you. No matter what life throws at us, never forget that I love you. That will never change."

"Here I thought you were my rock, the one person who keeps me on an even keel and grounded. The one and only person that I will ever love." Kacey kissed her.

"Do me a favor?"

"If I can."

"Please do not make any decisions regarding your career until we talk it through?"

"You heard dad and I talking." Natalia nodded. "I will not make any decisions until we talk." They heard the baby cry through the open window. "That is my cue." She stated. They walked into the house together. The lights shut off behind them.


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page