Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 15

Kate watched as Kacey ran laps around the inside of the two mile secured area they temporarily called home. She sipped her coffee and shook her head at the amount of energy the younger woman had. She could just make out the headphones Kacey wore when running.

"What lap is she on?" Anya asked as she came up behind Kate.

"This is her second, I think. It should be against the law for a person to have that much energy. Especially this early in the morning."

"That is the difference between the Marines and just about every other branch of the services, with the Army as an exception, maybe."

"Are you calling us lazy?" Kate joked.

"Not at all, Kate, but they are an on the ground force. Their survival depends on them being in peak physical form."

"That is true."

"Have you talked to her yet?"

"Not yet. Are you sure you are all right with my volunteering for this mission?"

"Of course I am not all right with you going into danger. But she needs people that she has absolute trust in. You and Rhea are at the top of that list. She trusts you both completely. Talk to her. Or I will."

"Anya you can not do that."

"Listen Kate, if you are there you could keep her from doing anything crazy. She will keep her head squarely on the mission of getting the women and children out, without taking unnecessary risks."

"I will make the time to talk to her after I get into my office today."

"Good. Whenever you are ready, breakfast is on the table."

Kate turned away from the window and walked into the dining room where their children were eating.
--------------------

Kacey had finished four laps and headed home for a shower before heading to her office. Her phone rang as she walked into the building.

"O'Malley."

"General, Commander Torino would like to see you as soon as possible."

"I am right outside the office now. Is there anything pressing on the boards this morning that need my immediate attention?"

"Not a thing. I will be right out."

Kacey climbed back into the Rover to wait for Mike. He came out several minutes later and joined her in the rover after locking the office.

"Sorry to make you wait General, but Admiral Jensen called and requested a meeting for today."

"I will call her once we see what Bella needs."

"Were you able to get settled?"

"For the most part. How about you?"

"Thanks to you and the Admiral, Maggie is allowed to move on base."

"When does she arrive?"

"She came last night. I can never thank you enough for going to bat for her moving here."

"It was my pleasure, Mike. The brass just needed to be reminded that she could also become a target." Kacey told him. "Have you two set a date yet?"

"Sort of. We are looking at a late summer or early fall wedding."

"This year right?" Kacey joked.

He laughed. "Yes this year smart ass."

"Have you received the first list of new people yet for Bella's expanded workers?"

"They came in this morning. I was going over them but, I have to admit there are a couple names that are questionable."

"Is there a problem?"

"I may just be paranoid because of the work we do, but I can not ignore the warning bells."

"Flag their names. If there are any problems, Kate and Rhea will ferret them out." as we speak.

He nodded. "Has construction started on the expansion yet?"

"They are moving the materials in as we speak."

"You are building quite a domain here, General." He joked. "What about homes for all the new workers?"

"They are building cottages and dorms for them."

"Have you heard from Sergeant Montoya yet?"

"No and to be honest, the silence is worrying me. I know it has only been a couple days, but..."

"Do you have a back up person?"

"No and it is not like I can send out inquiries for a military woman who has been sexually assaulted for a secret mission." Kacey said. "We still have time before we are ready to move, so I am hoping for her. If not then we will have to work around that."

They arrived at the first gate. The guards saluted as the rover stopped and checked the badges both the officers wore. He raised the shield. They continued on until they reached the Hanger. The guard saluted before opening the door. Inside all the military personnel snapped to attention. Kacey waved they back down.

"Commander Torino is in her office." One of the workers said.

"Thank you Lieutenant." Kacey stated as they walked to the office. Mike knocked on the door.

"Come in." Came the growl from the office.

They entered. Bella was seated behind her desk and did not look up as they entered. "Well what is it?"

"I believe you asked to see me, Bella." Kacey said with a smile.

Bella snapped to attention. "Sorry General. Good morning."

"Relax Bella." Bella handed them each a cup of coffee. "Are there any problems that I need to be aware of?"

"None, but that is not why I asked you to come here." Bella stated. "Have you managed to get your team picked out?"

"Not fully and before you volunteer, no you cannot go. I need you here more."

"That is still not what I was going to say. You need to take Rhea with you on that mission."

Kacey sighed. "I should have known. Bella I can not take Rhea either. I need her to be here watching Kate's back. She is still a target."

"We both expected you to say that. Look Kacey, we are no longer in space so you are not responsible for Kate's safety and well being. You need Rhea, Kate does not."

"Kacey she is right." Mike chimed in. "Rhea is the logical choice. She is trained in many combat areas. Lets face it, you have absolutely no idea what you will find in that cavern."

"You too Mike? Do you both have so little confidence..."

"Fuck that, Kacey. We both have complete confidence in you and your ability to pull off the impossible at times. But you also can not take chances to complete your mission. Rhea will be there to not only have your back, but to also guarantee that you do not do anything rash like getting hurt or worse killed."

"Do you honestly believe I would be that careless?"

"Not at all, but things can happen. Rhea would be able to get you out if you were wounded. There is another reason."

"Let's hear it."

"Mike would you excuse us for a minute?"

"Of course. I will wait outside." He placed his empty cup on the desk and left the office. Bella sat in the chair he had vacated.

"What I am about to tell you, very few people know. Kate might know seeing as she and Rhea are friends." Kacey waited for Bella to continue. "Rhea told me that the women you are going in to rescue are being abused."

"Yes."

"And that you need someone who understands what they are going through."

"Also correct."

"Then you have to take Rhea with you. She knows firsthand what those women are going through."

"Are you saying that she...?"

"I am. I will not go into any details, but she knows and can help."

"God I had no idea."

"You weren't supposed to ever know. Will you take her?"

"I will ask her to come along. Even if Veronica accepts, I could still use her."

"Thanks, Kiddo. Do me one favor though?"

"If I can. What is the favor?"

"Don't let her do anything foolish and crazy like getting hurt."

"Do my best. We will watch out for each other."

"Now shall we get down to business?"

"Definitely. Have there been any problems?"

"Not at all. There were three attempts to breech our defenses. All three were stopped."

"I read your reports. Good work."

Bella shrugged. "Security jumped on each and every attempt. They were able to back track the signals through several channels until they were lost. They get a better handle each time. I have sent recommendations for them." Kacey nodded. "We have six ships that will be ready to test in a day or two. They are in the final synch up now. Then eight more will move into the final stage right behind those."

"That is fantastic. Better than even the brass has expected. You are doing a great job, Bella. Shall we take a look at them before Mike thinks we have abandoned him?"

They finished their coffee and left the office.

---------------------------

"We need to talk." Kate said as Kacey and Mike pulled up to the office.

"I was going to call you. Mike has the new list of potential workers we will need. There are a few that are questionable and need a more intensive review." Kacey replied as Mike opened the office. He handed Kate several folders.

"The red ones are the people who gave off a bad vibe. The blue are those that I think will pass without any problems."

"If there is anything hidden, we will find it."

They went into Kacey's office. Before the door was fully closed, Kate said, "Have you picked up your team yet?"

"Not completely. I am still waiting to hear from one or two people."

"What if she can not get beyond what happened? Do you have a back up?"

"I didn't earlier, but I do now. I just have to ask her."

"You could ask Rhea. She has been there."

"Bella thought you knew."

"Growing up, Rhea and I were best friends. I was the first person she told. Together we went to the police to report the attack." Kate informed her. "Even if Veronica goes, having a spare would not hurt."

"I know that, but she is your head of security. Who would guard your back?"

"Are you kidding me? I will not need her guarding my back as I want to be part of your team also."

"No Kate." Kacey said angrily. "No fucking way. Do you have any idea what we will be heading into?"

"No and neither do you. You will need people you trust completely with you. Unless of course you do not trust me."

"You are the one person other than Natalia that I trust absolutely."

"Then it is settled. I am in."

"No Kate. What would Anya say if she knew you were here asking?"

"We have already discussed this and she suggested I put my name into consideration."

"I can not allow that."

"You can not run the risk of not taking me." Kacey sighed. "Look Kacey, I know this mission will not be ready to go for at least another two weeks. Think about it. All I am asking at this point is that you give it some consideration."

"Do you fully understand how physical this mission will be? First we will be hiking seven kilometers in the dark and also in the dead of Winter in Maine where if we are lucky the temperatures will be right at the freezing mark. But more than likely they will be well below freezing. There will be no comfy tent to shelter in if the weather turns nasty. Which is quite possible at this time of year. Not to mention you will be carrying a fifty pound pack, plus weapons. When was the last time you were weapons certified?"

"Last week. Kacey I am not afraid of the cold, dark, or a hike in the woods." Kate argued. "You are no longer responsible for my safety or well being."

"You are wrong on that point, Kate. As C.O. of this base everyone, every single person on this base from the janitors and now the President are my responsibility. I am sorry, but I can not take you."

"Is that your final answer on the subject?"

"Yes it is. I am sorry."

Kate stood up. "Very well." She turned and let the office leaving Kacey wondering.

"Did I win or lose that argument?" She asked the empty office.

-------------------------------
The sun was nearing the horizon when Kacey left her office to head for home. She carried her briefcase and laptop that she placed in the back seat of the rover, before climbing into the passenger's seat. Mike came out shortly after and sat in the driver's seat. He started the rover as the phone in Kacey's pocket buzzed. She grabbed it.

"General O'Malley."

"I'm in General."

"Thank you Veronica. I will see about having your temporary transfer papers processed tonight."

"I would appreciate that General. Do you still have a cottage for us?"

"We do and it will be furnished and stocked by the time you arrive." She disconnected the call. "She is in.That is one down."

"I highly doubted she would ever say no to you."

"I still need at least two more women that I have complete trust in."

"You know who the obvious choice is."

"No, I cannot allow that to happen. I have already turned her down."

"Can I ask why? She is someone I know you trust completely. Plus I have no doubt that she can handle herself in a fight if needed."

"That is true. However, what I am about to say is strictly between us." He nodded. "If something were to happen to me inside that fortress she will be needed here. Natalia would be left with four little ones. I need her here to..."

"She could always go over your head to General Millhouse."

"I know, but I hope she would not do that." Kacey sighed. "As soon as Veronica arrives, we will get everyone into the V.R. Rooms and work on the route we will take."

"I will reserve a suite for you."

"Do you have you team picked out?"

"Yes I finished it today. The list is in those papers I handed you when we left."

"I will go over it tonight. Mike when this all goes down,"

"Stop Kacey, I plan on meeting you at the Officer's Club with every member of both teams for a drink. You are buying."

Kacey laughed. "You have a deal Mike."
----------------
Kacey sat at the desk staring at the computer screen. She squinted to read the report. The house was quiet with all their children asleep. Adjusting the font size helped her already burning eyes continue to function in order to get through the stack of reports that fell by the wayside due to the steady steam of volunteers that came into her office.

Natalia walked down the short flight of stairs and went to Kacey's side. She placed the small bottle on the desk.

"Here are your eye drops. Would you like me to put them in?"

"That would be great. Thanks sweetheart."

Natalia picked up the small bottle as Kacey tipped her head back. She hissed as the drops stung.

"That will teach you to leave your glasses in your office." Natalia joked.

"I know. I was in such a rush to leave before the next horde of volunteers descended on me that I grabbed my briefcase and computer and completely forgot those damned glasses."

"I will tell you what I will do tomorrow. I will contact the doctor and have another pair made up that you can keep here so this would not happen again."

"Good idea babe. What would I do with out you?"

"Sleep in your office and never come home probably." Natalia laughed. "Do you have a lot more work to do?"

"Not to much more. I just need to send updates to General Millhouse and contact Rhea, then I am all yours for the rest of the evening."

"Then I will let you get back to it." Natalia kissed the dark head and returned to her spot on the couch. She picked up the hand computer to read the reports from Prime Minister Carmelo. She made note on a pad in order to respond.


Chapter 16

The full moon lit up the clearing and reflected off the pristine snow and ice below. The soft whine of the transports broke the quiet in the frozen night. Once the transports landed the engine sounds stopped. Twelve figures dressed in white arctic gear stepped off and spread out. The last figures stepped off and the ramp closed. The pilots inside activated the shields.

The lead figure walked into the surrounding forest and activated the camouflage feature on their suits. The snow crunched under their feet. Inside the pine forest the snow cover was less and the noise level diminished. The group walked in silence for several hours until they reached their objective. From their spots inside the cover of the trees they watched the access tunnel they would breach to enter the cavern.

The leader brought the night vision binoculars up and scanned the area for the best access to the raised tunnel. She checked her watch and nodded. "End program." She called out. The cold dark forest disappeared and they were all back in the Virtual Reality Suite. She motioned the group to her. "Great job everyone." She said as she removed the heavy arctic gear. "Three hours. Our best time yet. Let's break for lunch and meet back here at thirteen thirty hours. Then we will run the scene without the moon. There could be a storm going through that night and we need to be ready for anything."

The group removed their gear and left the building. Rhea waited for Kacey. "Good job Kiddo."

"Thank Rhea. The group is shaping up better than I hoped."

"Do we have a date yet?"

"Not yet. The latest batch of flyers is being tested today. I will know more after that. I have a meeting with General Millhouse in the morning. We should have a date then."

"Come on, let's go see what sort of poison they are serving at the Mess Hall today." Kacey laughed. "I have to tell you I certainly miss Patricia's cooking. What are the chances you can talk to the brass about giving your mother a catering contract here? Or even opening a second restaurant here on the base?"

"Somewhere between slim and none. I need a cup of coffee. After that run through, I feel as if I am about a quart low on caffeine."

They left the building.

------------------
We interrupt your regularly scheduled program for this news bulletin. Fighting was reported at, at least twelve locations around the country early this morning. Reports are sketchy at this time. What we know is that armed assaults were carried out between the hours of midnight and six a.m. our time. We will have more on this breaking story as information comes to us.

----------
General Millhouse listened to the news report as he read the official updates on the attacks as they came in. The reports carried more information that what the news stations reported. His eyes did not leave the computer screen when the knock sounded.

"Enter" He called out.

Kacey entered and saluted. "Good morning Sir."

"Come in Kacey. Help yourself to coffee then we will begin."

She poured herself a drink from the carafe on the table before she sat down. "I caught the news bulletin this morning."

"There could have been many more casualties if we had not received that intel."

"Do you have any casualty reports yet sir?"

"They are just starting to come in. From what I know so far there are twenty seven dead all attackers. Sixty one wounded. Twelve of which are our people. Only one is serious."

"Any prisoners?" Kacey asked.

"Those numbers are all not in yet. First reports state there are fifty three prisoners. The best news are these." He handed her two photos. "Recognize anyone?"

"Where did you get these?"

"Those are stills from the video footage of the attacks. Warrants have been issued for their arrests."

"How could they be so stupid to actually be present?"

"You said the magic word, stupid. I am the first to admit neither was overly bright, but to actually be present during the attacks are beyond stupid."

"Maybe they just wanted all the so called glory if the attacks succeeded." Kacey supplied.

"That could be. How is the training going? I heard you are working your team really hard."

"We have to be perfect or as close to perfect as we can make it, sir. We have our time from transport to access tunnel down to three hours in good weather. Three and a half if the weather is bad. Today we will work on going from the tunnel into the woman's and children's quarters. Those schematics you gave us will really make the difference. The programmers have a scenario developed that we will train on."

"Lucky for us the bunker they chose to use is an old bunker that housed civilians during the last war and we have the blue prints on file for the whole mountain bunker." He told her. "How are you handling the cold?"

"The cold sir?"

"I seem to recall you had problems with the cold after your run in with that Ellipsis."

"That has sorted itself out sir."

"Good, good. Now I need to ask you a question. When you were choosing your team, why did you not choose Kate?"

"Ah did she come to you to override my decision?"

"She did and I turned her down. It is your team, your decision. However, I would like to know your reasons. I know it was not a trust issue."

"It is not sir, but I respectfully decline to answer that question or state my reasons."

"We will leave that there for now. Someday I hope you will tell me." He said and paused. "You have the information on the leader?"

"Yes sir, I do. Do you have any additional orders concerning him?"

"Not for you. When the attacks start, you team's main and only objective is getting the women and children out. Another specialized team will be going in to neutralize the threat so that this sort of problem does not happen again."

"Sir there is one area I am not clear on. Why did they put all the women and children in one location?"

"He wanted more women to play his sick games with and more children to indoctrinate. Most of the other bunkers were military in nature. There were several that were set up to house non-combatants. We do not have all those locations or know if they are even functional. Those we do know about will have ground crews going in to clear them out. We can only hope that those we are in the dark about remain hidden even from them." He said. "Our latest intel shows the number of women and children housed in the main bunker to be between five and six hundred. I have ordered more transports with additional medical personnel. They will arrive after you enter the bunker. You will also have ground troops to cover and protect the evacuation. Will your team be ready to leave Sunday?"

"You give me a "go" time and we will be ready sir."

"Excellent. We will start sending the flyers out on Friday for those locations that are further away. One more item and I will let you get back to your team. This is an order General. Do not, I repeat, Do Not do anything foolish in there. I expect you to return unharmed." He handed her an envelope. "Here are your orders."

"Still afraid of my mother sir?" Kacey laughed.

"Damn right I am."

"Then I will do my best to fulfill those orders sir." Kacey stood, saluted and left the office.

-----------------
The tunnel leading into the mountain bunker was large enough to fly a transport or delivery vehicle into. The walls, carved out of the mountain itself were cold stone. The frigid air from outside followed them in as they walked single file. Their suits blending in with the walls.

Periodically the tunnel would break off. Kacey looked at the map of the tunnel on her hand computer and followed the path highlighted. They made steady progress and after two hours reached their first objective. The offshoot tunnel leading up into the bunker was locked. A small thump and a wisp of smoke later and the door was opened. Kacey checked her map and pointed to the direction they needed to go. Soon another locked door fell to them and they reached their final objective.

The technician watched their progress on the large screen in the control room. He made notes on his hand computer to discuss with Kacey when the program ended.

The door behind him opened to admit Kate. He jumped to his feet and Kate waved him back down. She watched the team's progress.

"Any problems so far?" She asked.

"No ma'am. I have to tell you Admiral, if I was not watching them, I would think there was no one there. Except for an occasional rustle, they have not made a sound."

"That is their specialized training, Lieutenant. Their lives can depend on that silence. Any stray noise can give away their position. If that happens, their mission goes straight to Hell." Kate stated. Where are they now?"

He checked the computer. "They are about to enter the corridor that leads to the women's and children's areas. This is where they could really get in to trouble."

Even though this was a simulation, Kate felt her anxiety level rise as she watched the team advance. "Are there any surprises waiting for them?"

"No ma'am. When that bunker was abandoned, every single piece of equipment was removed. Cameras, computers, all electronics were taken. From all the reports I have seen, the bunker was just a big hole. As far as we know, the only communications the different bunkers have is through computers."

"So there has to be some sort of power supply in there."

"Solar powered generators."

"That's it? No back up power source."

He checked the schematics. "Yes they have some old fashioned fossil fuel generators that have not been used in almost seventy years. Even if they could find a fuel source, I doubt they would even start." He stated. "If I may ask ma'am, why are you not part of the team? You and General O'Malley made one hell of a team when we were in space."

"Kacey has her reasons Lieutenant, but thank you."

"Look Admiral, they are leading some of the women out."

"End program." They heard Kacey order. the Tech shut down the simulation as the team headed for the changing rooms. "Rest up for the remainder of today. Report back here at zero eight hundred hours tomorrow when we will go from start to finish. Good job everyone."

Forty five minutes later dressed in fatigues, Kacey left the dressing area. Kate was waiting for her.

"Hey Kate to what do I owe this visit?"

"Since when do I need a reason to visit my little sister."

"You never need a reason when you visit my office, but down here in the trenches you usually have a reason."

"I do. I have the latest security reports on the people Mike flagged. He was right to pull them. Not one of the five passed the extended security check. They have close ties to Wilhelm." Kate told her.

"Thanks for rechecking."

"With the work you are overseeing you can not let even one of his cohorts in. Your team looked good in there."

"They are all good people, but it is still just practice. There are a hundred things that can go wrong when we do the actual rescue."

"I have full confidence that you will pull it off and get your team back safely."

"Kate, do you understand why I did not choose you? Really understand?"

"Yes I do."

"No you do not. If... if something goes wrong..."

"Do not finish that sentence. You will make it back safely. Do I make my self clear on that point?"

"Perfectly clear, Kate and I will give it my best shot to obey that order, but" Kate started to protest. "Hear me out." Kate nodded. Kacey took a deep breath. "So many things can go wrong. If I do not make it back, I need you to be there for Talia. To help her go on. She will need you, need the whole family."

"Of course we will take care of her. Now you promise me that you will be careful in there. Try not to be you. Do not take chances. Do not make me tell Natalia that you died. Please."

"I will do my best, that is what I can promise you." Kacey said looking directly at Kate.

"That is the reason you did not choose me."

"That is the only reason."

"General Millhouse said you had a reason and that you would tell me when the time came."

"He is a smart old bird. Speaking of him, I have to see him later about this afternoon's test run. I want to make a change or two for the evacuation."

"Before you see him that is the second reason for my visit."

"Let's go to my office and talk."
---------------------------
"So" Kacey said as she sat behind her desk. "What did you want to say?"

"How big is that access tunnel?"

"The actual dimensions I am not sure, but I believe we can get a double row of transports inside if we retract the wings."

"That was my next question."

"Then we are on the same page. I am going to talk to General Millhouse in an hour to propose that change. If any of the women or children are sick or injured, they will not be able to take a seven kilometer hike in the woods." Kacey admitted. "Not to mention the snow and cold they would have to endure. We will have our suits, but they will not."

"I read the weather reports for that area."

"So did I. Cold with blizzard conditions if the storm stays on track. They are even predicting the possibility of a white out."

"How low a temperature can your suits take?"

"That should not be a problem. The suits are make of the same material as our E.V.A. suits that we used in space. Although not quite as effective. They are good to minus fifty."

"Good then there is less chance of you suffering from hypothermia again. How are you handling the cold?"

"That has straightened itself out."

"Truthfully?"

"Yes it took some time but I am good."

"What do you have on the boards for the rest of the day?"

"After my meeting I plan on doing exactly what I told my team to do. Go home, rest us and relax. Why want to come over when the girls have their lesson?"

"Of course why should I drink my brandy when I can drink yours." Kate stood up and left the office.

 

 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page