Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 18

The storm continued to batter them as branches fell under the combined assault of the high winds and heavy snow. Kacey forced Rhea and Veronica inside the circle nearer the tree as branches fell on them. A large branch snapped off and hit Kacey's back knocking her into the smaller women in front of her. Her vision swam at the impact and she knew some damage was done from the sharp edges of the branch. Kacey waited for the pain to level off before she tried to move.

As suddenly as the storm started, it stopped. They all breathed a sigh of relief as they stepped away from their refuge and looked around. The white out may have only lasted a few minutes but it dropped another foot of snow to blanket the ground.

"General, that tree hit you hard, are you all right?" Rhea asked. ordered

Kacey moved her head, shoulder and arms. "It was just a branch, Rhea. Don't exaggerate."

"Then it was a damn big branch."

Kacey shrugged. "Let's get the fuck out of this damn forest and under cover, before the weather gods decide to throw something else at us." Kacey ordered. "We are about a half kilometer from the access tunnel and we have three hours to get their. Move out." Rhea looked at Kacey and could see the lines of pain etched in her face. "Drop it Rhea." She ordered and walked away into the deep snow to break trail.

Twenty minutes later they climbed the rock face path to the tunnel. A short skirmish took out the guards who sat in the warmth of the guard station. They rested in the room to wait until the assigned time to enter the fortress. They had an almost two hours until they would start the next part of their mission. The group sat around the room to replenish their flagging strength. They ate trail bars and made use of the bathroom in the back of the room.

Kacey felt the throbbing in her shoulder and back each time she moved. She hoped that what ever damage was done would not hinder her in completing her mission.

"Let me look at it." Rhea commanded.

"What?"

"Your back. Let me look at it."

"It is fine Rhea. A bit sore, but fine."

"Oh yeah? Then why is there blood on your suit?" Kacey felt her shoulder and saw blood on her fingertips. She unzipped her suit and pulled it off her arm. Rhea took out the first aid kit. She cut away the torn cloth and looked at the damage. "You have several gashes that need to be cleaned and closed. This may sting." Kacey nodded for her to continue. Rhea poured antiseptic onto a pad and dabbed at the cuts. Kacey hissed at the sting. She worked for several minutes cleaning and closing all the gashes before covering the areas with bandages. "How does that feel?"

"Better, thank you."

"There may be other damage inside, but I cannot fix that. At least you will not leave a trail of blood. Here take these?"

"What are they?"

"Antibiotics in case I missed something in there. Kiddo do me a favor."

"If I can."

"I know what you did back there. You pushed Veronica and I against that tree and away from the falling branches."

"Yeah so what. Is that the favor?"

"Hell no. So do not try to be a smart ass, General. The favor is that you be a little less courageous and not get any more dents in that stubborn hide of yours." Kacey laughed silently. "This is not funny. I happen to like my ass and head right where they are."

"I will do my best Rhea. If my best turns out to be not good enough, I will protect you from my family."

"Ha,ha, ha." She handed Kacey a trail bar. "Eat this, you need to keep your strength up also."

"Thanks again."

--------------------------

Mike sat in the pilot's seat just a kilometer from the mountain bunker to wait for the appointed time. He received the coded message, There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, an hour ago that meant the ground team were in the access tunnel. He knew they would begin the most dangerous part of their mission shortly.

They would begin their trek into the bunker to rescue the women and children with in the next two hours. He received the second coded message. Goblins are among us this night. The Black Ops team were also inside and would conduct the search for the leader at the same time.

The snow continued to fall. Not as hard as before, but at a steady pace. He sipped the coffee that was handed him and continuously checked the readouts. The computer beeped a third time and he read the coded message. The green hills of Ireland are lush and beautiful. He nodded. "They have started." Mike said to his Co-pilot. "Be careful my friend." He whispered. He knew this was the most dangerous part of her mission. They had an hour to get from the access tunnel to the captive's quarters.

------------------------------ --

Kacey and her team left the meager safety of the guards room as they made their way through the tunnel. They left the sentries tied up and locked in the bathroom.

The first door they came upon was locked. A small explosive charge emitted a muffled thump with a few sparks and smoke and the door swung open. They walked into the second tunnel. A few minutes later they came to a landing and a second door. Kacey checked the readout on her hand computer and motioned for them to bypass the door to continue upwards. She checked their time and nodded.

So far they had met no resistance. That thought activated her goblin meter. Rhea noticed the change immediately and walked up beside her.

"Something bothering you kiddo?"

"Taking lessons on how to read my mannerisms from Kate?" She asked softly.

"She may have told me how to read the signs. What's up?"

"Do you find the lack of any resistance weird?"

"Yeah. You would think they would have all entrances from the outside guarded."

"Other than our two friends back there we have seen no one. They must have other ways to protect them."

Rhea pulled the scanner from her belt and scanned the tunnel. The soft hum and the green light remained steady. "There is nothing here. Our way is clear."

"Still, keep that scanner active."

"Will do General."

They continued for several more minutes until they came upon another doorway with the tunnel leading away from the direction they headed. She signaled them to bypass that door also.

"According to the map, we want the next door. We are about a half kilometer from out target. Anything can happen now. Be alert." She ordered softly.

They reached the door. Kacey pulled on the handle, surprised that it swung open easily. She looked out into the hall and found several doors. All but one had small security windows. The last was solid metal. She checked her map again and ducked back into the tunnel.

"We are here. The room directly across from us is the children's area. To the right are the women's dorms. The door to the main compound is to the left. We have fifteen minutes before the attack begins. Our man should be here shortly to open those doors. I want two people on the main door once he arrives." Two hands went up. Kacey nodded. "Those who will go into the children's area go in softly. We do not want to frighten them. Be gentle. Those with me, remember these women have been through Hell. Rhea, Veronica you are with me. Three women will take the second dorm. The rest will help take them out. Take them directly to the access tunnel. The transports should be moving into position now. This place will be in chaos when the attack starts."

They heard the door open and all reached for their weapons. "Hold your fire General." He said as he held his hands up. "General Millhouse said I was to tell you Leprechaun."

"Manny? How did you know we were here?"

"I am Manny General. I have been watching your progress and knew it was time."

"How did you know? We scanned the tunnel and found no security devices."

"Your scanners would not pick up these cameras. They are very special devices that you would need a highly specialized scanner to detect. I installed them in that tunnel and they transmitted to my computer only."

"Thankfully you are on our side. In a few minutes the attack will begin and we need to get the women prepared."

"You will have some help there General. I was able to talk to some of the newest women and they have spread the word to others. They are ready to help."

Kacey checked her watch. "They attack will start in seven minutes. We need to get them ready to move."

They left the relative safety of the tunnel and separated. The four groups went to their assigned areas. Manny went with Kacey's group. Several women looked up when the door opened and jumped from their beds. Kacey held a finger to her lips for silence.

"We are here to get you all out. please do not be frightened or call out."

"Manny explained it to a few of us. What of the children?"

"The boys are being rescued as we speak. Where are the girls held?"

"Through that door, General." Manny stated.

"Do you have any warm clothes? It is extremely cold outside and in the tunnel."

"We are not allowed outer clothing for fear we would escape."

"Then grab blankets and wake the others and get them ready."

"The Matrons will give you trouble." A woman said.

'Who are the Matrons?"

"They have been here the longest and work with the men to keep us in line. They have their own rooms near the girl's dorm. They should be left here."

"My orders are to rescue all the women and children."

"Do you have any idea what they did to us?" Another shouted. "They helped the men in abusing us."

"Then it will be up to the courts to decide their fate. If we leave them here then we are no better than the men who abused you."

"General O'Malley is right." Veronica said. "Trust her. If she says they will be punished with the men, then they will."

"Do you know what was done to us?"

"Yes I do. I have been in that position myself." Veronica said.

"So have I." Rhea added. "We both know and understand what you have been through."

The mountain rocked with the force of explosives.

"The attack has begun. Time to move out ladies." Kacey ordered. The women grabbed all the blankets they could and headed to the door. "Veronica, Rhea, take the women out."

"Come with me. Wrap up everyone." Veronica stated as she left the room.

Rhea remained behind. "I will stay with you General. There is no way I will face your family if I did not remain at your side." Kacey nodded.

"General,what about the rest of the children? They are in their room next to the Matrons."

"We will get them all out. Please except for those who will help with them, go now." She pushed them towards the exit.

As the women were hurrying out the sounds of the battle could be heard. The room shook and debris fell as the lights flickered. The door across the room opened. Older women followed by the young girls entered. The women tried to push the girls back, yelling at them.

"You damned brats get back and shut up." One yelled.

Another held a wide belt that she swung at the girls. One child screamed as the leather hit her arm leaving a large welt. Kacey ran to the woman and grabbed her arm as she swung it again.

"How would you like me to use that on you?" Kacey asked, her voice like ice. Her grip a vice on the woman's arm and held her tightly.

"Who the fuck are you?" She demanded as she tried to pull her arm from painful grip.

"Your worst nightmare bitch." Kacey said. "Ladies would you get these children out of here?"

The women who stayed behind placed blankets around the girls and led them out of the dorm. The older women let them go first.

The matron pushed against Kacey to break her grip. Kacey pushed back and forced her against the wall.

"You have no right to come in here and take the women or children. We belong to the men."

"Lady you turn my stomach. Shut up or I will shut you up." She continued to hold the matron against the wall as the room emptied slowly.

They could hear the sounds of the battle. The cavern shook with the force of the blasts.

"Our masters will not be pleased."

"They are quite busy right now and will not even realize you are gone for some time. As soon as the decent women and children are gone then you pieces of garbage will be taken out."

"You have no authority here. We belong to the men to take care of their needs."

"Bitch you are really pissing me off. I would advise you to stand there and shut the fuck up." Kacey ordered.

"General, the back rooms are cleared."

"Good. How is the progress down the tunnel?"

"It is going slowly but steady. There is one lady who would like to talk to you."

"Now?"

"Yes ma'am. She says there are other women being held in another part of the bunker."

"What? Where?"

"I am not sure General. The women were chosen by the matrons to go to the leaders for special treatment."

"Where are they?" Kacey yelled. The women remained silent.

The cavern shook from the continued onslaught of the flyers. Dust and debris fell on them them. One powerful blast shook the whole cavern. Rhea called from the door.

"That felt really close General. Our ships are making headway into destroying this mountain. We need to evacuate also."

"Not until we rescue every woman." Kacey called back. "This piece of shit will tell me exactly what I need to know."

"There isn't time for a search and rescue." Rhea argued. "If there are others being held elsewhere,Black Ops will find them."

"Can you guarantee that Rhea?" Kacey shouted and looked away from the woman she held against the wall. The woman pushed away and brought her clasped hands up in a powerful swing. The hit connected with Kacey's damaged shoulder. A powerful kick against the side of Kacey's knee, dislocating the knee cap. Another double handed hit snapped the bone in the shoulder. The crack was heard above the noise. Kacey fell to the floor. The matron bolted for the door, pushing aside the women still evacuating.

Rhea went to Kacey's side and helped her to a bed. With her arm held tight against the injured side, Kacey tried to keep her breathing steady against the pain,willing it to fade. She somehow managed to keep a tenuous hold on consciousness as her vision swam. Rhea grabbed whatever she could for a splint and ripped a sheet into strips. She knelt on the floor and gently took hold Kacey's leg.

"Hey,how are you doing?"

"Fuck that hurts." Kacey managed to get out through gritted teeth.

"I am going to splint your knee then try to stabilize your arm before we can get you out."

"Do what you have to do, Rhea. We need to ..."

"No General. The only thing you need to do is finish this mission. Can you move your arm at all?"

"No. Where is that bitch?"

"She did not get far. The guards have her subdued." Rhea answered as she worked on Kacey's leg. She took two boards that she broke from a shelf and placed them on both sides of Kacey's knee. Wrapping the boards and leg tightly, she quickly finished. Taking other strips she wrapped them around Kacey's arm and body,holding the arm in place. She finished as the last women left the room. "Time to get you out of here, General."

"Have to find those other women."

"This place is about to come down around our ears. There is no time left. I certainly do not want to be the object of a search and rescue. Bella would never forgive me. Not to mention what your family would do to both of us kiddo." Rhea took Kacey's good arm and pulled it over her shoulders. "We will take this slow and easy, my friend." She said as she placed a arm around Kacey's waist. "One, two, three." They both stood up. Rhea grabbed a shelf for added leverage. Kacey's face was wet with perspiration by the time they were upright. The pain level increased in both her shoulder and knee that threatened to knock her back down. If not for Rhea's support she would have crashed back to the stone floor. Veronica ran back into the room as large cracks developed in to walls.

"Colonel Anderson sent word that in ten minutes they will collapse the cavern. We need to leave now."

"Get back to the radio and tell him to delay that. Kacey has been injured and will need time to get out. Do not wait for us. Just stop that destruction." Rhea ordered.

"Yes ma'am." Veronica said and ran back out.

Rhea supported a good deal of Kacey's weight as they slowly made their way to the tunnel. Each step felt like knives being plunged into her arm and leg. Her breathing became ragged as sweat ran down her face. She struggled to keep from crying out in pain with each torturous inch they gained. The cavern walls continued to shake with the force of the blasts as they made their way down the tunnel.

"How are you doing kiddo?" Rhea asked. "Do you need to take a break?"

"No time." They continued walking but stopped when they heard running footsteps. Rhea reached for her weapon. The last blast they heard collapsed the walls behind them.

----------------------------------

"Do you have any news?" Natalia asked as she stormed into the General's office.

He jumped to his feet. "Mrs. O'Malley."

"Natalia you should not be here." Kate stated.

"She deserves to be here. Let her stay." Admiral Tacher said and he pulled a chair to the desk for her.

"Anya and your parents have all the children at our place." Natalia told Kate. "Please I need to know what is happening."

"The last message we had was that they reached their objective and the captive were being evacuated. That was an hour ago. Our ground forces have captured several hundred men that tried to escape when the attacks began." General Millhouse told her.

"The other bunkers are falling with little or no resistance." Admiral Tacher added.

"Is there anything you are not telling me?"

"Natalia that is what we know at this point."

"Truly Kate?"

"Truly. That is all we know right now."
---------------------------------------------

The room was spartan and clean. Clothes were neatly folded or hung from pegs in the wall. A small desk and chair sat on one wall. Neatly stacked files sat precisely on one corner of the desk. The blankets on the bed were taught and smooth without a single wrinkle. Every item in the room was lined up with military precision.

Willhelm sat at the desk and wrote in one of the many files. The bunker was quiet as the Gamma shift went through their duties. In the distance he could hear the deep rumbles. "Thunder." He thought. "This God forsaken area had the worst damn weather." He frowned as the thunder continued.

"That is not thunder." He said out loud. "We are under attack." He went quickly to the next room and opened the door without knocking. The stench knocked him backwards. The room was a mess. Clothes were thrown all over the floor. Empty liquor bottles fought for space with dirty dishes containing the remnants of several meals. He went to the man sleeping on the cot and shook him.
.
"Wake up boy."He yelled. A loud snore was the only answer. Willhelm shook him again. He grabbed the pitcher of water and threw it on the drunken man who jumped up sputtering.

"What the fuck." He yelled.

"Get up boy, we are under attack."

"So what are you worried about? We are in the middle if a God damn mountain. They can't touch us."

Willhelm hit his son across the face. "You drunken fool, they have weapons that can and will destroy us. Now get your ass moving."

"Relax old man." Peter said as he sat down to pull his boots on.

"I should leave your worthless ass here." Willhelm threatened the younger man. "Meet me in the corridor in five minutes. We have to activate the explosives." He stormed out of the room before his son could answer.

Peter stumbled out of his room half dressed and still drunk. Wilhelm shook his head at the sight, his lip curled in disgust. "Move boy we need to activate all the explosives."

"Yeah about that father. Not all are in position to be activated." Peter admitted.

"What? You have had weeks to set them. What the Hell have you and your friends been doing? Never mind I know what you have been up to. How many have been set up?" Willhelm grabbed his and shook Peter.

"Eight?" He answered sheepishly.

"Eight? Out of one hundred you managed to get only eight set up?" He slapped him again and again. Peter grabbed his arm. "No wonder that woman got the best of you. You disgust me." Willhelm pushed Peter backwards. "At least tell me they are close together."

"They are."

"Lead the way." He stepped aside so that Peter could show him the position of the charges.

They walked into the access room where several control boxes were set up. Wires connected only a few of the boxes. Peter went to one of boxes which he opened. He connected a wire to the timer. "How long do you want me to set this for?"

"It will take at least forty five minutes to get out so set it for an hour. We will be into the forest and away from the mountain when it comes down."

"The great Curt Willhelm running away?" Peter goaded his father.

"Not running but surviving to fight another day. Now move it before I leave you here."

Peter finished hooking up the wire and set the timer. His father grabbed his arm and pushed him out the door. They went to a hidden door where they grabbed heavy coats. Willhelm pushed on the stone and the wall opened. Together they walked quickly down the escape tunnel. They were almost to the exit when explosions rocked the mountain. They ran the final half kilometer to reach the outside before the mountain fell on them. They emerged in the darkness and ran for the forest before they were discovered. Within a short time they were at the hidden area where vehicles were kept. They drove away from the mountain.

Chapter 19

The tunnel walls shook violently causing rocks to fall around them. Dust was thick, and the lights flickered and went out. Rhea activated her wrist beacon and reached to turn on Kacey's.

Kacey looked up at the large cracks that snaked across the ceiling. Cracks that expanded as the ground shook. In an instant she knew Rhea would not get out while she carried most of her weight. She removed her arm from Rhea's shoulders and stopped.

"Do me a favor, Rhea. Tell Talia that I love her and the children and that I am sorry." Kacey shouted

"What? You tell her yourself. We are getting out together." Rhea shouted back.

Kacey gave her a look. "No I will not be able to. I am sorry Rhea." She replied and gave Rhea a powerful shove toward the exit as the ceiling started to fall, burying her.

Rhea pulled the radio from her belt and broke radio silence. "Cavern ceiling has collapsed. General trapped. All available personnel report to the cavern and bring any tools we have." She put the radio back onto her belt and focused her light on the pile of rocks. The dust was still thick, but settling slowly. Rhea started moving whatever rocks she could manage alone. After several minutes she heard the sounds of running footsteps as the lights from many wrist beacons lit up the cavern.

Help arrived carrying whatever tools were in the remaining transports. The troops went to work immediately. The caverns had stopped shaking. She heard the radio at her side crackle to life.

"Commander, we are almost finished here. I am sending a dozen able bodied troops to help out." Mike stated.

"Thank you Colonel." Rhea responded.

"Commander, medical transports have been dispatched. E.T.A. one hour."

"Roger. The access tunnel will be empty by that time." Rhea said. "Colonel Anderson, as soon as you are free, we could use your expertise in here."

"Understood Commander."

"Colonel, we have this under control." A voice stated. "You are needed there more."

"Roger. Continuing offering air support to the ground crews as they take care of any stragglers."

"Roger, Colonel. Our thoughts are with you and the general."

Mike pulled his flyer away and headed towards the access tunnel. Within minutes he landed outside the tunnel. Shutting down the flyer he left his crew securing the vessel as he ran inside. The last of the women and children were boarding the large transports. He stopped only to get directions to the cave in and took off running.

He followed the line of service people as they moved rocks and debris out of the way until he came to the cave in. The workers had made a small dent in the rock pile. Yet they had no way of knowing how far they had to dig to reach their leader. Giving up was not an option. This was one rescue that will not turn into a body recovery. Mike thought, not on my watch and most certainly not my friend.

The noise of the workers drowned out the sounds from the radios each person wore on their belts as they continued to move rocks. One worker finally noticed the blinking light and pulled their attention to their radios.

"Everyone stop. Be quiet." Mike ordered and turned up the volume on his radio. The universal distress code sounded. He keyed his radio. "Kacey can you hear me?" The beeps continued. "General if you can hear me, respond." The beeps were the only response.

"Her radio may not be able to receive." Rhea said.

"At least she was alive to turn the distress code on. Lets get her out before we have to relay the news to the brass or her family." Mike responded.

"That is one call I do not want to make ever." Rhea admitted as she went back to work. The troops continued to move the rocks. More troops arrived to relieve those who were exhausted. The radio continued to beep. Periodically the lights remained steady and would start flashing again. The periods of steady lights grew longer. They doubled their efforts to move the rocks. Mike's foot kicked a piece a metal. He stopped, picked it up and examined it closely. He sniffed it and heaved a large sigh.

"What did you find?" Rhea asked.

"A part of the explosive device that caused the cave in."

"You sound relieved?"

"I am. When I heard about the cave in I thought it was caused by our attack. This proves that we were not to blame." He pocketed the piece and returned to work.

Another hour passed before they found where Kacey lay buried. Rhea felt the hand that lay still upon the ground. She moved to her wrist to check for a pulse and looked at Mike.

------------------------------ ---

Kate and Natalia took turns pacing the office floor as they waited for news. The hours passed slowly. The sun had begun it's journey as dawn greeted them and the sky lightened by the second. Admiral Tacher leaned against the wall behind the desk where General Millhouse sat as they waited for updates.

"Is it always this hard for those left behind?" Natalia asked. "It was hard in space, but she was always on camera. This is so much worse."

"It is harder for you because so much of this mission had to be kept secret." Kate answered. "But you are correct, this is much worse. I have to keeping telling myself that she will come through because she is strong and that she took the best possible people with her. People she trusts to watch her back."

"She could still get hurt." Natalia argued.

"Yes. With Kacey that could happen anywhere at anytime."

"She still tempts fate each and every time."

"That is just who she is Natalia."

The computer beeped. General Millhouse read the short missive. He looked up at Admiral Tacher who read over his shoulder. He moved his head in Natalia's direction. Admiral Tacher nodded.

"Mrs. O'Malley, it has been a long night. While we are waiting, lets go to the Mess Hall and scare the cook into cooking breakfast."

"No thank you. I would rather stay here."

"Natalia, go with Admiral Tacher and at least get some air. It has been a very long night."

"All right Kate. I do need to call to check on the children."

The Admiral held the door open for her. As soon as the door closed behind them Kate turned to the General.

"I heard the beep. What did the report say?"

"There was an explosion that caved in part of the tunnel that they women were using."

"AND?" Kate yelled.

"Kacey is trapped. They are digging her out. There is a medical transport on site."

"Is anyone else trapped?"

"The report does not say."

"Did the attack cause the cave in?"

He turned the monitor around for her to see. "Admiral, Kate you can see for yourself there is no other information there."

"I want to go to her."

"Absolutely not Admiral. That request is denied."

"That was not a request General." Kate yelled as she got right into his face.

He stood. His six foot frame dwarfed the smaller woman. "You forget who you are talking to Admiral." He yelled back. Kate looked up into his stormy eyes. "Kate think about this for a minute." He said softly. "Even if we did allow you to go to her, it would take at least an hour to get there, even in our fastest ship. This is not space and we are bound by speed laws for all non medical trips. What would that accomplish?"

"I would be there when they rescued her. Or she would have family with her if she... if she..." Her voice cracked. "She would have family present for the journey home."

"That cave in happened hours ago. For all we know, they could already be en route. You would make that trip for nothing."

"Contact them General. The need for radio silence has passed. Contact them and find out what is going on."

"All right, Kate." He sat back down and opened the video. "General Millhouse to rescue team one."

An image appear on the monitor. An image that was distorted by the cavern walls. "Rescue one here, General."

"Do you have any updates on the rescue effort?"

"The team is still removing debris, but they have located General O' Malley and are working to free her. Commander Torrino will contact you as soon as she is free."

"Is she alive?" Kate demanded.

The officer hesitated before answering. "Unknown at this time Ma'am. I am sorry I do not have more information for you."

"What about her tracker?"

"Tracker ma'am?"

"Yes she has a tracker in her arm that will tell you if she is still alive. She would have had it turned on before she left for this mission. It will only stop if she returns and has it turned off or if her life signs... if she dies."

"I will check ma'am and get back to you."

The connection was broken.

---------------------------

"Has that lift arrived yet?" Mike yelled over the echoing noise in the tunnel.

"It is being unloaded now sir."

"As soon as this rock is off her, we can move her to the medical transport."

"Yes sir. I will go see if I can hurry them along." The soldier ran down the tunnel.

Mike dropped to the ground next to Rhea, who monitored Kacey's pulse. "Any change?"

"She is still with us but her heart beat is really slow and getting weaker. At least she can breathe now that those blasted rocks are off her head and shoulders. Still unconscious."

"Right now that is a good thing. She would not be able to take the pain if anything is broken. She won't feel the pain." He said. "So you were telling me why she needed help to walk."

"One of the Matrons kicked her knee out. We all heard the snap. I strapped and splinted her leg so that we could get out when the explosion happened. She pushed me out of the way just before the ceiling came down on her."

"How the Hell did that Matron get the drop on her?"

"One of the ladies came back and told us there were other women being held else where. The Matrons would choose women to take to the leader to torture. Kacey had the Matron pinned against the wall for hitting the girls with a belt. She turned and the Bitch punched her in her already injured shoulder and kicked out."

They heard the lift arrive. "Where do you want this Colonel?"

"We need to lift this rock off Kacey so put the arms on both sides of her. How far do those arms open?"

"Eight feet sir."

"We will not need that much. Bring it in here as far as you can go and get this rock off her."

"Understand sir." He activated the lift and opened the arms. He lined up the arms and slowly pushed the lift under the rock that pinned Kacey. Mike and Rhea grabbed Kacey's arms before he began to lift the rock.

"Get a good grip so that we can do this in one go."

"Wait." The doctor called out as she ran up the tunnel. Medics followed close behind with equipment. "Do not move her yet." She placed a cervical collar around Kacey's neck. "When the rock is lifted we need to place this plastic board under her. This will keep her spine straight."

"Gotcha Doc." Mike stated. He nodded to the soldier to begin. The machine was engaged and slowly lifted the rock. The low hum of the lift turned into a whine as it forced the great weight off their commander.

"That should be high enough." The doctor said as she grabbed the plastic board. With Mike's assistance, they pushed the sheet under Kacey so that she was supported from head to hopefully her knees. "Lets get her out of there." Several troops came forward and grabbed whatever piece they could. "Ready?" They all nodded. "Nice and smooth. Go." She commanded. They pulled the sheet until Kacey was completely free of the rock and over the lift to the stretcher.

Once Kacey was strapped on the stretcher, the air jets were activated. The stretcher raised off the ground. The medic pushed it down the tunnel with the doctor close by. Inside the medical transport she did a quick exam.

"How fast can we get back to the Academy Hospital?"

"Four hours unless we can get clearance to override the speed limits of no warp."

"You call whoever you have to, to get that permission. Her life depends on speed."

"Yes ma'am."

"Rescue one to General Millhouse."

"Go ahead rescue one." General Millhouse's face came on.

"We have General O' Malley. She is badly injured and need to get to Academy Hospital as fast as we can. Permission requested to ignore the no warp rule."

"Permission granted. I will advise Air Command, clear all air space and give you a direct path."

"Thank you sir. We are taking off now. E.T.A twenty minutes."

"I will also advise the hospital of your arrival." The screen went dark.

"Wait how badly is she injured?" Kate asked loudly. "General get him back."

"Kate calm down. Look at the facts. Yes she is injured, but she is still alive. Otherwise they would not ask to override the limits. Take comfort in that."

"Comfort General?"

"Yes, I know you are worried and scared right now. So am I, but at this point there is nothing we can do but wait. We will find out more when they arrive. Now I need to send that alert out then go find Natalia and get you to the hospital."

The door flew opened and banged against the wall with such force that the pictures rattled. "Is it true?" Natalia demanded.

"Sorry Tuck, the rumor mill is running full bore out there."

"Natalia please sit and we will fill you in on everything we know so far."

"Before you start on that bull shit spiel on what you think I should know, tell me one thing. Is Kacey dead?"

"Natalia," Kate said softly and took her hand. "What we know is that Kacey was caught in a cave in and is injured. They got her out and are on their way back here."

"How badly is she hurt?"

"Bad enough that they requested a speed clearance. She is being take to Academy Hospital and will be there shortly."

"A special security detail will escort you, Admiral Jensen and your family to the hospital."

"Natalia, we all know that Kacey is a very strong person." Admiral Tacher said.

"Strong Admiral? She is a human being. One that can bleed and die." Natalia shouted at the officers. "How many more times are you going to send her out to do your dirty work while you sit on you asses here, safe behind your desks. How many more times."

"Natalia, don't say something you will regret later." Kate said softly.

"No Kate" General Millhouse interrupted. "She is right. We have asked too much from her. When she returns to duty, her only objective will be running the base. This was her last mission."

"If she lives to return to duty, General. Kate, I need to see the children and your parents need to hear the news from us and not from the military." She turned and walked out the door.

"Go with her Kate. Security will be waiting for you."

Kate left the office. The two officers looked at each other and were silent.

-------------------------
"Keep pushing those fluids." The doctor ordered as she ran her hands over Kacey's legs and back. "Those rocks did a lot of damage. How long before we land?"

"About seven minutes, Doctor. They have everything prepared for our arrival."

"Good. I need to speak to them before we land."

"Yes ma'am." He keyed the mike. "Rescue one to Academy Hospital."

"Go ahead rescue one."

He handed the mike to the doctor. "This is Doctor McCloud. I have a 32 year old female who has serious injuries to her spine and legs from a cave in. Patient is unconscious at this time. Blood pressure is 92 over 40, pulse is 60 and respirations are eight. We need a full body scan as soon as we arrive. General O'Malley will need specialized surgery on her injuries. Contact Doctor Felicia Durant and ask her for a consultation."

"Everything will set up when you arrive. Doctor Durant has been paged. She is already in the hospital. She will meet you in the scanning suite."

"Roger Academy Hospital." She handed the mike back to the communications officer.

"Doctor do you want to contact her family?"

"Yes they need to be informed so they can be near in case,..." She did not finish the sentence. "I am not sure where they would be at this time. Contact General Millhouse and fill him in. He will know how to contact them. Lets get her ready to move as soon as we land." She went about the task of making sure the I.V was secure and that the oxygen was functioning as well as the vital signs monitor that she placed near Kacey's head.

They felt the ship as it lightly touched down. Medical personnel were waiting at the foot of the ramp when hover bed was pushed out. Take her directly to the scanning suite. Is Doctor Durant here?"

"She is waiting for you in the tech room of the suite, Doctor McCloud. We will take General O'Malley in."

She followed the hover bed into the hospital. At the scanning room, she went directly to the tech room where another doctor waited. and watched as Kacey was put into the scanner. Doctor McCloud handed the small computer with her notes to woman and filled her in on what the notes did not say.

"On the preliminary exam, I noted what may be several breaks in her legs and shoulder. My main concern is in the lumbar/sacro region. That is where most of the weight was located. I also found several breaks in her pelvis and lower spine that has me worried. At this point she has no involuntary reflexes in her legs. Pulse is present in both legs so there is no interruption in the blood flow."

"Was she conscious at all?"

"Not since she was found." Doctor McCloud responded. "I was also informed that her shoulder and knee were injured before the cave in."

"Any head injuries?"

"Not that I am aware of. I felt no fractures or depressions. But with all those rocks falling anything is possible."

They watched the large monitors as the machine scanned Kacey's body and made notes on their hand computers.

"I see no head injuries. You were right about the shoulder, Olive. There is a break that will be easy to fix." She went back to watching the monitors. "The legs breaks will be easy to fix also. Rescan the pelvis and sacro/lumbar regions please." She told the tech controlling the machine. They studied the scan. "There is a lot of damage that needs to be repaired." Doctor Durant said.

"Will you do the surgery, Felicia?"

"Surgeries are a more accurate word Olive. That amount of damage can not be fixed in just one surgery. And a lot depends on how much she can take in one go. There could be organ damage from bone chips from the shattered discs or from the rocks that will have to be repaired also." She stated. "Will you assist me?"

"Of course Felicia. Now comes the had part. We have to tell her family."

"That is the part I have always hated. Have those scans sent to the computer in O.R. one and call in a surgical team. Have her prepped for surgery."

"Will do Doc." The tech replied.

They left the room.

---------------------------

Natalia and Kate paced the length of the waiting room. They had arrived while Kacey was in the scanner. An hour had passed with no news on her condition. Liam stood near the nurses station to stop them from harassing the staff. Every time the phone rang, they stopped. Until the receptionist stood and motioned for them to follow her.

She opened the Conference Room door. The lights came on automatically. "Please have a seat. The doctors will be here shortly to talk to you." She turned on the coffee machine. "Please help yourself to coffee or tea."

"She left quickly before they could question her.

 

 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page