Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 5


Kate reported to her office when her vacation ended. Rhea was already at her desk and snapped to attention when she walked in. Kate waved her back to her seat. She held out her hand for the files Rhea held out to her.

"There is a carafe of coffee waiting for you on your desk Admiral." Rhea stated.

"Admiral, Rhea? Protocol be damned. We have known each other for too many years to stand on ceremony. My name is Kate, especially when we are alone."

"I know, Kate. I just figured it would be nice to greet you formally at least once."

"Okay. Now what are these files you just handed me?"

"That is the first batch of recommendations from C.O's of pilots to be sent to Ridgeway for advanced training."

"All these?"

"Not exactly, the blue folders are the people Bella requested for her domain. According to the brass these people need to be approved first. They have passed the security check and only need your signature to send them there. What exactly are they doing out there?"

"That is something we have to find out. How many pilots will be trained at a time?"

"Kacey said they have spots for eighty pilots in each class. So this is just the start. This first batch, which are the red folders have passed security checks."

"What sort of time frame are we looking at?"

"The first class is scheduled to start in six weeks."

"Then I had better get started." Kate said and walked into her office.

"I will bring in the files as we get them." Rhea informed her.

Kate placed her hat on the coat rack, poured herself a coffee, started her computer and pulled open the first file. She worked steadily, stopping only to refill her cup, without interruption for the morning hours. The few she had questions on she placed in a special bin on her desk.

The computer beeped signaling a video call. She opened the window to see Kacey.

"How is your first day going Kate?"

"It has been fairly quiet. I just approved several of the hot shot pilots for you to knock the ego off of." Kate replied. "How about you?""

"Busy, we have been training on a couple of the new flyers so that I don't appear to be a complete doofus when training starts."

"I highly doubt that would ever happen. You are too good a pilot."

"Thanks Kate."

"I thought you job would be more administrative."

"It will be once the pilots arrive, but I have six weeks to get up to speed on all the new flyers that have been developed while we were away." She responded. "The reason I am disturbing your day is to find out if you are Rhea will be available to come to the base on Friday?"

"As far as I know, Friday is clear. Things are just starting up, so this is a good time."

"Good, say ten hundred hours?"

"We will be there. Is there a reason for this meeting?"

"There is, but I can not go into it on a video call."

"Now my curiosity is piqued."

"It will all be explained when you get here."

"All right, just make sure the coffee is on."

"It is always on Kate, you know that."

The call ended. Kate pushed out from behind her desk. She picked up the files and brought them to Rhea.

"These are ready for further processing. There are a few that I have questions on that we can discuss after lunch."

"I heard they are serving roast beef today in the mess hall." Rhea informed her.

"Let's go then. I'm buying." Kate stated. She returned to her office, locked her computer, grabbed her hat and went back to the outer office. Rhea locked up the files and stood up as Kate reentered so they could leave immediately.

"Before I forget, Do not schedule anything for Friday. We will be off site for the day and going to Ridgefield for a meeting. I am not sure how long it will last so plan for the entire day."

"Got it, Kate." Rhea opened the door for Kate and locked it behind them.

--------------------------

Kacey turned from the computer when the call ended. She undid the zipper of her flight suit as she picked up the top folder on her desk. She read for several minutes before she pushed the button on her desk. Mike walked into the room.

"Mike keep our schedule cleared for Friday. I scheduled a meeting with Kate and Rhea."

"Certainly Kacey. Any special topic for this meeting?"

"A couple. General Millhouse wants me to bring them up to speed on the new flyer, and we need to discuss the first batch of hot shot pilots she will be sending us. These meeting about the pilots will take place before every new class is sent."

"How did you like that new ship we took out this morning?"

"They still do not take height into consideration so I thought it was a bit cramped. Other than that it handled nice. I have put in another suggestion that they factor in more leg room in the cockpits so that the pilots would not be limited to those under five nine."

"Too bad we don't have a translation for the design of the Vernan flyer. Any new ships could be designed along those lines."

"True. I wonder if there is a way to scan the schematics into our computers and let the translators work on them."

"Might be worth a go."

"After lunch I want to visit the hanger and talk to Bella."

"You have nothing on tap until fourteen hundred when we take the flyers up again."

"Good." Kacey locked her computer, stood, zipped her flight suit grabbed her hat and sunglasses. " What sort of poison are they serving in the Mess Hall?"

"I think it is mystery meat spaghetti." Mike answered and smiled at Kacey's grimace. "Yeah, I know we were spoiled by your mother's cooking for four years."

Mike set the alarm on the office as they left.

------------------------------

Kacey sat in the cockpit and settled in the cramped space. The bubble lowered as she fastened the harness across her chest. Her helmet sit snug n her head with the microphone near her mouth. The flyer came to life with a whisper quiet engine. A very slight vibration was the only indication the flyer was on. She looked around at the three flyers that would be flying with her.

"General O'Malley in flyer X seven two three radio check."

"You are coming in loud and clear X seven two three. You are cleared for liftoff."

"Roger tower. X seven two three lifting off." Kacey stated as she pushed the thrusters to leave the ground. She held position until the three flyers left the ground. "X seven two three to tower. We will be cruising at thirty two thousand meters on vector one five one point nine."

"Roger X seven two three, the shield is opened and you are clear for flight."

"Thank you tower. All right gentlemen, let's see what these babies can do."

The flyer took off and within minutes they were over the ocean. The put the flyers through many maneuvers. Through twists, turns and dives, pulling up at the last second and skimming the surface of the water. They took the flyers straight up before coming back down. For several hours they pushed the flyers to find any weakness.

"Flyer X seven two three to tower, we are returning to base. Our E.T.A is seven minutes."

"Roger X seven two three approach landing area on vector one four seven point one and land on area three."

"Roger changing vector to one four seven point one." Kacey adjusted her approach and felt the flyer change position. The three flyers followed her. They slowed when they reached the base until they were able to bring the craft down with a slight bump. She raised the bubble and turned the flyer off before she removed her harness and pulled herself out of the cockpit. Standing on the wing, she closed the bubble and jumped to the ground where she removed her helmet. Kacey ran her fingers through her short hair that was flattened from the tight helmet. They walked into the hanger where they marked their flight hours into the log book.
"One down and eight to go. What is on tap for tomorrow?"

"L four four one." Dan replied. Do you want the same flight times?"

"Yes, we can get in six hours of flight time on each flyer, then return to any we feel the need for extra practice on. The first set of hot shots is set to arrive in six weeks. That gives us plenty of practice plus time to get our hands dirty on the special flyer."

"Will you be taking part in the training General?"

"Jere, when it is just us, lose the rank. We have been through too much together to stand on formalities. But to answer your question, no. I will more or less be stuck behind my desk and overseeing the building of the new flyers. According to the reports I received, there are four more flyers in the design stage that will be built here. At least the first models anyway. Once they are built and tested then the design go to be mass produced. All the pilots will have a hand in building the ships so they can learn them inside and out."

"Are they making it mandatory?" Mike asked. "We had the option."

"I am making it mandatory with the approval of General Millhouse. The pilots must be willing to get their hands dirty or they will be kicked out of the program."

"That seems harsh." Dan commented.

"It is, but it will weed out the glory hounds who only want to sit in the cockpit and get accolades on the backs of the support staff and those who helped them get here." Kacey stated. "We can set up a schedule tomorrow. Right now it is time to call it a day and go home."

They left the hanger. Kacey went to her office and officially logged off duty. She climbed into her shuttle and headed to the security gate where she stopped long enough to return the guards salute before she headed for home.

---------------------------------

"Your majesty, the next council meeting is scheduled for next week. Will you be able to open the session?" Prime Minister Carmelo asked.

Natalia looked at the schedule book. "Yes, Kacey will bring me over on Sunday. Unfortunately she will not be able to stay."

"Will you bring your beautiful children with you? The people have lined up to volunteer to babysit."

"I will bring them with me. In addition either my father in law or sister in law will be coming with us. Kacey made me promise not to go alone."

"Does she think you would not be safe with your people?"

"Not from our people, but there is something going on that she can not tell me about yet. It has to do with whatever she is working on at the base."

"I wondered why the Marines here have had a more active presence."

"I am sure it is just a precaution." Natalia assured her. "What is on the agenda for this session?"

"There are two wording changes and three other laws that need to be addressed or completely taken off the books. I just sent you everything pertaining to the changes."

Natalia checked her files. "I have them and will read them over."

"Then I will see you when you arrive. I will make sure the staff has everything ready for you."

The screen went dark. Natalia pushed away from the desk and walked to the front window to watch for Kacey. She did not wait long. Kacey landed the shuttle in the driveway. She waved to Natalia when she stepped onto the ramp. Their children ran to the door to greet her as she walked in.

"Mommy." They yelled together. Kacey leaned down and picked them both up. She kissed them.

"Have you monsters been good for your mama today?" She asked as she walked into the living room. Natalia met her and took Caitlyn from her. She kissed Kacey.

"How was your first day?"

"Pretty good. We were able to take one of the flyers up twice. They still do not put enough leg room in those damn things, but they handled good. How was your day?"

"Quiet for the most part. The children had a little fighting match over one of the toys, but other than that nothing." Natalia told her. They were really good when I talked to Michaela about next week."

"I wish I could stay with you. It will be way too quiet with you all gone."

"Does that mean you will sleep in your office instead of coming home at night?"

"I will be home. I know your spies will rat me out if I don't."

"My spies?" Natalia asked innocently.

"Yes Miss Innocent." Kacey joked as she poured herself a drink. "Have they decided who will be going with you?"

"From the last I heard, Liam and Anya were going to flip a coin. The winner will come with me. You still cannot tell me why we need the extra protection? Have you or us been threatened? Kacey I want the absolute truth."

"There have been no threats against any of us. This really is just a precaution. As soon as I know anything and have the okay, I will tell you everything that is going on."

"So that means that there is a reason behind all the security."

"There is. Sweetheart believe me as soon as I can tell you, I will. Please trust me."

"I do trust you. I know Kate is in the same position because Anya is also in the dark."

"She is"

"Dinner will be ready in about forty five minutes. Go get cleaned and changed."

"Are we expecting company tonight?"

"No you can put on your comfortable clothes."

Kacey finished her drink and went upstairs to change.


--------------------------------

"We ran into a snag." The voice said without preamble.

"What sort of snag?"

"All the gates in that pipe have been locked."

"Then unlock the damn things. What do you think you are getting paid for?"

"Don't push it old man. If locked gates were the only obstacle, I would not be contacting you. We found motion detector cameras in the pipe. It looks like they are at every gate."

"Could they be decoys?"

"It is possible. I can bring in a computer whiz to find out for sure."

"Then do it. Do you need me to hold your hand and tell you every little detail? You get as many people on board as you need. We have to know why they are hiding that ship."

"We will. If we cannot get through the pipe, then your people should be able to get the news out.?"

"What is the latest on that front?"

"Some of the first group has passed security clearance and their files have been sent to the Admiral for their orders to be cut."

"Good, good. Our people must be in place when that program starts up in six weeks."

"They will be, but it will cost you."

"Make sure it happens no matter what the cost. Just don't get greedy because you can be replaced very easily."

"Somehow I doubt that. Or are you planning on putting that son of yours in charge. That would be quite the feat. Then we will see how much he can gets done."

"Stop right there. Your talents will only take you so far. I will expect an update with good news before the end of the week." The sound of the call ending filled his ears.

--------------------------------------
Kate walked into their home. The quiet hit her. At the very least Anya would have greeted her when she walked in. She went to the counter and found a note tapped to the bottle of brandy. She smiled as she read the note.

Kate, the girls and I are relaxing by the pool. Change your clothes and come join us. Love Anya.

Kate poured herself a drink and went upstairs to change. She walked back down with shorts over her bathing suit. She picked up her drink before she headed to the back door where she waved to them. Anya stood by the bar b que cooking dinner. Kate kissed her and waved again to their girls who swam in the pool.

"How was your day my Kate?" Anya asked.

"Pretty good. I spent most of the day going over the files for the first class of pilots to send to Ridgefield. I have to admit that there were a few that were questionable and may not make it. What was your day like?"

"Very good. I was able to get a lot done. With the restaurant closed on Mondays, I was able to get caught up on everything that fell to the way side."

"What about the manager that mom wants to hire?"

"There are three interviews scheduled for tomorrow. Hiring anyone of them means we can all have two days off each week. We will alternate weekends days at least until Natalia has to stop working. Then we will revisit that."

"I like that. Then we can have at least one day off together." Kate kissed her again. "Do we have any plans for after dinner?"

"Not a thing. Is there something special you have in mind?"

"Yes but not until the girls go to bed. With everything that has been going on the last two weeks, there has not been any private us time. I miss that."

"I know that my Kate and I am happy to say that your plans and mine are exactly the same." Anya smiled. "Girls time to get out of the pool and dry off. Dinner is almost ready." She called out. "Kate would you get the salads out of the cooling unit?"

"Of course darling." Kate placed her drink on the table and walked back to their house. Anya watched the sway of the slim hips and licked her lips in anticipation.


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page