Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 10

The holidays were behind them. The babies were home in time to spend their first Christmas with the family. Their older children were fascinated by their new sisters, which pleased their mothers.

Kacey did not spend as many hours on the base now that the special workforce on the flyers was at full strength. The first test flight was scheduled on all the completed flyers and upgraded shuttles. Eight flyers were ready to take to the air for the first time along with fourteen upgraded shuttles.

The pilots chosen for the test flight stood in the hanger. They all snapped to attention when Kacey and Mike walked in.

"At ease." She stated, as they climbed the small stage. "You have been called here this morning for a special assignment. Today we will be taking the new flyers and shuttles for their first test flight. You are all familiar with the shuttles and the new flyers as shown in the Virtual Reality suites, will handle the same. Each shuttle will lift off with a crew of four. The flyers will have six crew persons on board. Your ship assignments are listed on the papers being handed out. The flight will start in two hours. Flight trajectory will be five kilometers up on vector eight, which will be over the ocean as a precaution. For five hundred kilometers in all directions a dampening field will be activated. The third fleet will be in that area to monitor the test with video feed going directly to the tower where I and the brass will be watching, so try not to do anything to embarrass yourselves." The pilots laughed. "During the six hour test flight there will be thirty six targets that you will need to seek out and destroy. Not all of the targets will be above the water as all the ships can be operated underwater. Put the ships through their paces. Push them. We need to know if there are any weaknesses. Also all the ships have been equipped with special sensor strips. The fleet will be firing lasers at you. You will need to avoid getting hit as too many hits will force you out of the test flight. Colonel Anderson will be flight leader. Any questions?"

One hand went up. Kacey pointed to him.

"You won't be coming with us General?"

"Unfortunately no. I get to monitor the test with General Millhouse, Admirals Tacher and Jensen. Be alert out there as there may be a surprise or two for you."

"That does not seem fair, General."

"I feel the same, but the heavy hardware," she pointed to her collar, "means I get to stay on the ground while you get to have all the fun. Any other questions?" No other hands were raised. "Get your ship assignments, gather your flight gear and your pre flight check done by zero nine thirty hours. Flights will start at ten hundred hours. if you have not eaten try to get some food. We don't want anyone passing out from hunger during the test. Dismissed." The pilots snapped to attention. Kacey left the building with Mike by her side.

"Do you have any additional orders?"

"Don't coddle them Mike. Put the flyers through their paces. They should take anything we can throw at them. We must be certain there are no weak areas. If something does happen, the ships out there will act as rescue ships and get the crew and flyer if possible, to safety. If at any time you do not think a flyer is performing correctly, do not hesitate to send it back. "

"I understand, Kacey. We will give you and the brass a show. What about cloaking?"

"No do not use the cloaking. We have to leave some surprises."

The walked in separate directions. Mike headed to collect his flight gear while Kacey went to the gate to wait for their visitors. She did not have to wait long as the flyer pulled up to the gate. Kacey and the M.P.'s snapped to attention and saluted.

"Good morning sirs, Admiral Jensen. The test will begin in about 90 minutes. We can watch from the tower where the video feed will broadcast. I have had coffee and breakfast sent up there."

"Excellent General O'Malley. Hop in and we will head directly to the tower."

Kacey climbed into the flyer and sat next to Kate.

"I imagine it is killing you to have to sit out the test flight." Kate stated.

"You have that right. There is one consolation, we were able to take the flyers on a modified test run yesterday inside the shield. They handled very well."

"Do the pilots know about the surprises waiting for them?" General Millhouse asked.

"They know about some of them. Colonel Anderson who is flight leader knows about them all."

"How many ships are taking part in this test flight?" Admiral Tacher asked.

"A total of twenty two. Eight new flyers and fourteen upgraded shuttles."

"Good, good. If these ships perform as well as expected, we will have an even better chance to put the factions out of business permanently."

"We successfully added the new ground penetrating radar. If any factions are underground or in mountain bunkers, that radar will show up the locations and numbers." Kacey informed them. "We did however run into a snag."

"And that is?"

"The G.P.R. will only penetrate to a depth of fifteen hundred meters when the ships are one kilometer up. We have not had a chance to check the depth over water yet."

"That is not a snag General. In fact, the depth is better that we had hoped for."

"Sir, I do not understand."

"Kacey the original design offered us the chance to reach a depth of five hundred to one thousand meters. What ever you did to improve that number is not a snag. Continue to do what ever it was you did." General Millhouse informed her. "I thought you were going to work on learning to take credit for your accomplishments?" He joked.

Kacey felt Kate laugh beside her and elbow her in the ribs.

"Yes sir, I will work on that, but I cannot take credit for that. Bella Torino is the person who was able to tweak the G.P.R to get it to perform better."

They reached the tower and rode the elevator up to the observation level. The soldiers who manned the equipment snapped to attention as the elevator opened.

"As you were." General Millhouse ordered and made his way to the coffee pot.

"General O'Malley, Colonel Anderson reports that the pilots will be heading to the flyers in about twenty minutes."

"Excellent. Have you any word from Captain Denoff on the Battleship Clinton?"

"Yes ma'am. He reports that they are in position and the targets have been deployed. There are six under water and the rest are scattered inside the test area. The lasers have been turned on and are ready for the mock battle. We will be able to see the test on the video screens above us. The dampening field is up and running at maximum."

"Thank you Lieutenant." Kacey said and took the coffee Kate handed her. "Now we wait. Please help yourselves to coffee and breakfast."

"Thank you ma'am."

Kacey slowly paced the tower, checking every video feed for problems. She glanced at the digital clock on the wall several times. The list of possible problems ran through her head.

"General, Colonel Anderson reports the pilots have reported to their ships and will be ready for takeoff in three minutes."

"Thank you." Kacey put on the headphones and adjusted the microphone. "Tower to Colonel Anderson."

"Go ahead tower."

"Colonel Anderson, you are cleared for flight. Remember there are thirty six targets for you to seek out and destroy. This test will be under battle conditions with the ships firing at you. Avoid too many hits. You have six hours to accomplish this mission. Good luck."

"Roger General."

"The shield above you will open in sixty seconds. Good journey and happy hunting."

"Thank you General."

"Tower to Captain Denhoff."

"Go ahead tower."

"The test will begin in less than thirty seconds."

"Understood General. The fleet is positioned three hundred fifty kilometers from shore for a five hundred kilometer radius."

"The ships are lifting off now and should take them fifteen minutes to reach your location."

"Roger. Be advised that we are monitoring a weather system that has sprung up two hundred kilometers from the farthest point of the dampening field."

"A storm?"

"Yes ma'am. Latest report has the winds at one hundred ten K.P H. and moving towards us at thirty K.P H. The sea is choppy."

"How long before it reaches your location?"

"Four to six hours if it does not stall or gain momentum."

"Keep us advised, Captain." Kacey shut off the mike. "Damn."

"Will this affect the test?" Kate asked.

"It could. If the winds are too strong, the flyers would be tossed around too much."

"Are you thinking about aborting the mission?"

"No, we have a little leeway on time." She turned the mike back on. "Ridgefield tower to Colonel Anderson."

"Go ahead tower."

"Mike, keep a close eye on that storm system. If the winds reach eighty K.P.H. abort the test mission. Find and destroy as many targets as you can. Keep you comm link open and we will monitor you."

"Roger Colonel. All right ladies and gentlemen, we have our orders. Let's go target hunting. Last ship to find and destroy a target buys the drinks."

-----------------------------------------------

Four hours into the test those in the tower watched the test and listened to the ship to ship chatter between the pilots. Reports from the ships scrolled across the computer. Kacey read the latest report from Captain Denoff on the storm. She read the bulletin out loud.

"Winds at sixty K.P.H. Seas at twenty meters. If the seas are that rough, the flyers will not be able to go underwater." She brought the mic to her mouth. Before she could speak she heard,

"Colonel Anderson to Ridgefield tower."

"Go ahead Mike."

"We are getting battered by the winds. Seas swamp us when we get to close to the surface. Ordering all flyers back to base."

"I agree Mike. All flyers return to base immediately." Kacey ordered. "Ridgefield Tower to Captain Denoff."

"Go ahead General."

"We are aborting the mission. Do you have any preliminary results for us?"

"The pilots were able to evade most of the laser shots. Our gunners managed seven hits out of four hundred shots. All hits were in non vital areas. The pilots managed to destroy twenty seven of the targets including one underwater before the waves got too big."

"Thank you for your assistance Captain."

"You are very welcome General. Contact us when you want to try the test again."

"Will do. Next time we may make it a little harder for you."

"Colonel Anderson to tower. Our E.T.A is twenty minutes."

"Roger Mike. The shield is opening at vector 473 over landing area 12."

"Understand General."

Kacey removed the headphones, and her hat. She ran her hands through her short hair.

"Twenty seven out of thirty six targets destroyed under battle conditions in a storm, are very good results, Kacey." General Millhouse stated. "Your pilots were able to evade almost four hundred laser hits in a little over four hours. I don't know about you, but I am impressed."

"I am General, it is just... Damn, I just wish that storm would have waited two hours before it gained speed and intensity so that we could finish the test."

"In a perfect world where all the stars line up..." Kate stated.

"I know, I know. Don't mind me." She rubbed her hands across her eyes.

"Colonel Anderson to tower. Our E.T.A is twenty minutes."

"Roger Colonel." The operator stated and continued to watch the ships come closer on the computer screen.

"General we have a weather update."

"What does it say?"

"The storm is expected to hit land in three hours. Thirty meter waves are breaking over the strand. All traffic in and out of the base has been stopped and all flyers are grounded."

"Damn for how long?"

"Hard to say ma'am. Winds are gusting at ninety K.P H. and are expect to reach one ten K.P.H. Rains will be extremely heavy at times."

"Looks like we are here for the duration." Kate stated.

"We are and now we have to find and set up beds for over five hundred extra people." Kacey stated. "Hey what about the back way into the base. That should still be passible. It will take longer..."

"Sorry General, even that road is closed because it leads back to the strand." The operator stated.

"Damn it, I really need to find a way..."

"That is not going to happen. Not today." Kate said.

"Is there a problem?" General Millhouse asked.

"She is worried about the children." Kate answer.

"Ahh, now I understand. How are the newest members or your family?"

"They are good. Where Caitlyn and Patrick would wake up within minutes of each other, the same cannot be said for Colleen and Shannon. They like to let us go back to sleep before the second girl wakes up demanding attention. We have been working on getting their schedules closer together."

"I am sure Anya, and even mom and dad will stay with them." Kate told her.

"You will be able to talk to her, so it is not like you are completely out of contact." General Millhouse said.

"I know sir, it's just that," she stopped, shook her head and took a deep breath. "Send out an announcement to all personnel that no one will be allowed to leave the base, due to the storm. Also they will need to break out all cots and inflatable beds and set them up in all available areas."

"Yes ma'am. Colonel Anderson is about to land."

"Close all possible shields once they are down and have them secure the flyers before they break for lunch."

"You don't close all shields?"

"Not in a storm of this magnitude, Admiral. Between the winds and lightning, there is the possibility of a strike taking down all the shields so we leave sections open. Those sections are not above any sensitive areas. We are trying to find a way to correct that problem."

-----------------------------------------------

Kacey sat in front of the computer screen in her office as she waited for the unit to boot up. During the short wait she thought about what she would say.

"Hi sweetheart." Natalia said as the call went through. "Is anything wrong?"

"I am afraid so. Have you been watching the weather?"

"I put it on right after Liam told us about the storm. He is making sure all the shutters are closed."

"Tell him thank you for me."

"I will. So what is wrong?"

"Flyers are all grounded and the roads from the base are closed due to flooding."

"That means you are stuck at the base until the storm passes."

"Exactly. There is no way I can get out of here. We are all stuck. I hate the thought of you being there alone with the children."

"But I will not be alone. As soon as we heard about the storm, Patricia closed the restaurant and they, plus Anya and the girls will be riding it out here. Do not worry about us. You concentrate on keeping Kate calm."

Kacey laughed, her bad mood lifting. "I think you have the easier job, babe."

Natalia smiled. "You may be right." She agreed.

"If you need extra cots, there are six inflatable beds in the pool storage shed."

"What about you. Where will you all sleep?"

"Crews are setting up beds and cots for everyone."

"What about you, Kate and the brass?"

"I could sack out here in my office, but there are several cottages near my office for such emergencies. Kate and I will share one, the brass one, Rhea and Bella will have one and Mike said he would bunk with the troops."

"I feel bad for the guards assigned to us. Do you think it would be all right to ask them in?"

"That is a great idea. Although they might turn you down."

"Even if they come up on the porch it would get them out of the storm. How much longer will we have the escorts?"

"No idea." Kacey answered. "Talia I uh..."

"Hold it right there. Do not even attempt to apologize for not being able to come home. The children and I will be fine. We have family here. We will miss you but try not to worry."

"That is my job to worry. I love you."

"We love you right back. How about you call back later. Hopefully the children will be awake for a visit."

"I will definitely call back. Did you talk with dad about installing covered walkways between the houses?"

"I did. He likes the idea and said he will get estimates on the project."

"The recording company called again today. They still want you Liam and Anya to record that song you did at the restaurant opening. They upped the amount they are willing to pay."

"We do not need the credits. I do not want to sing for money. I knew it was a mistake to invite the recording reps to the opening. I should not have let mom talk me into that."

"Like you could tell her no. Are you mad at her for being proud of you?"

"No, but the decision was ultimately mine."

"So what are you going to do for the rest of the day?"

"I was thinking about working with Bella after we get the sleeping arrangements done. I will drag Kate with me. The noise from all the tools should cover the noise of the storm.

--------------------------------------

"If you need to contact us, we will all be with Natalia." Anya told Kate.

"I am happy. Kacey was worried about her being alone with the children."

"Patricia and Liam are already there. The girls and I will go as soon as we finish. How about you? Will you be all right my Kate?"

"Without you here, I will have to be. Where are the girls?"

"I had to send them back upstairs to repack their overnight bags. They packed for several days with very little in the way of clothing."

Kate laughed. "Do they know something we don't?"

"In this case I believe it was only a case of wishful thinking. I am glad they enjoy spending time with their cousins."

"That may very well change in a few years when they become teenagers." Kate stated. "Tonight is going to be a real bitch without you at my side telling me that everything will be all right."

"Then close you eyes." Anya waited for Kate to comply. "Imagine my arms around you, holding you close, keeping you safe. Can you feel my arms, Kate?"

"I can, Anya."

"Then tonight, when the storm is at it's worst, remember the feel of my arms around you. Also remember that you are safe under the shield at the base. Nothing can touch you under the shield." Anya kept her voice steady. "Do one thing for me."

"If I can."

"Remember not to touch Kacey while she is sleeping. She will knock you across the room."

Kate laughed again. "That will be no problem. I should let you go before the rain starts. I love you, Anya. Give the girls a hug and kiss for me."

"I will and I love you too my Kate. Call me later at Natalia's if you want."

"I will definitely want to." Kate blew a kiss at the monitor before it went dark. She sat at the desk for several minutes before she went to Kacey's office door and knocked.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page