So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                        CHAPTER 16 A

"How long before we are out of Limari territory?" Kate asked

"At least another two days Captain." Lieutenant Minor stated

"How long until our friends arrive?"

"Fifteen minutes, twenty at the most." Anya stated.

"Charge weapons. All hands battle stations." Kate ordered. "Kacey that goes for you also"

"Roger Kate." Kacey stated. "All right ladies and gentlemen, you all heard the Captain. Battle stations. Go to defense pattern Delta. Charge weapons. Keep all com links to each other and Andromeda open at all times." Kacey ordered. "Ten Stingers to each shuttle. Those ships with cloaking devices divide up and get into position around Andromeda." The ships divided.

"Keep the distances and times coming." Kate ordered.

"One point seven million kilometers. Time to intercept twelve to fifteen minutes."

"Katie I have just received word all civilians are in Safe Haven. You mother has the girls and babies with her."

"That is good to hear." Kate said.

"Thanks for letting us know dad." Kacey stated.

"One point three million kilometers. Ten to twelve minutes."

"Stay on course. Let them chase us." Kate ordered. Maintain speed."

"All ships stay within one half kilometer of Andromeda. Stay alert. If they fire at us make sure your are not blocking the big guns or torpedo bays. Space yourselves between the guns." Kacey continued to fire orders at her pilots.

"Kacey are you ready?"

"We are Kate."

"Incoming ships have divided and it looks like they are going to try to surround us. Nine hundred thousand kilometers seven to ten minutes."

"Hold your fire. Let them make the first move." Kate ordered.

"Kate?" Kacey questioned.

"That is an order Colonel."

"Yes Captain."

"Six hundred thousand kilometers." Anya called out.

"They are charging weapons Captain." Rhea reported.

The ships appeared on the view screen as they split up. "We can see the marking on the ships. They are Limari."

"Can you tell what types of ships?" Kacey asked.

"Scanners are registering four war ships and three ore carriers. All ships have charged weapons."

"Time to intercept five minutes. Four hundred thousand kilometers."

The tension mounted on the Bridge as they waited for the Limari to make their move. The stars around them zoomed by as they sped through the galaxy.

Shots came from three different directions and bounced off the shields.

"Hold your fire." Kate ordered.

"What?" Kacey shouted.

"HOLD YOUR FIRE." Kate repeated loudly.

A second round of shots hit the shields.

"Shields are holding, Captain."

"Distance?"

"One hundred fifty thousand kilometers."

"When they fire the next round, lock in on their weapons and hold." Kate ordered. "Keep the distances coming Anya."

"One hundred twenty thousand kilometers."

Another round hit the shields. "Shields still holding." Rhea reported. "Weapons locked on targets."

"One hundred thousand kilometers."

"HOW GOD DAMN CLOSE DO YOU WANT THEM TO GET KATE?" Kacey demanded.

"Ninety thousand kilometers." More shots hit their shields.

"Shields still holding."

"Seventy five thousand kilometers."

"ALL WEAPOND FIRE." Kate ordered. Shots left all the guns on Andromeda and the smaller ships. Sparks flew from the shots as they hit the shields on the enemy ships. "DO NOT LET UP. CONTINUE TO FIRE."

Shot after shot left Andromeda's big guns. Sparks continued to fly as the shots hit their marks.

"Sensors show their shields are weakening." Rhea reported.

"Ready photonic torpedoes."

"Ready Captain."

"Full spread. FIRE."

The torpedoes left the bays and hit the Limari ships bringing down the already weakened shields and one of the ships exploded. The smaller guns of the ships continued to hammer away. With the shields down the shots continued to make headway.

Kacey looked over the situation and ordered. "ATTACK PATTERN ALPHA." She ordered. Half the stingers headed into battle as they flew around the much large Limari. "SHUTTLES THREE AND FOUR TARGET THE EXHAUST PORTS. DO NOT GET CAUGHT UNDERNEATH. STINGERS KEEP THEIR ATTENTION OFF THE SHUTTLES. STAY OUT OF ANDROMEDA'S LINE OF FIRE." She fired orders at her pilots. She watched the battle from her spot near Andromeda. She held back as she watched her people bedevil the Liamri.

The shots continued to fly back and forth between the ships. After several minutes, the move she was expecting happened. While the attention of the Bridge crew was on the existing battle another Limari was trying to blindside Andromeda.

"KATE PORT SIDE." Kacey yelled over the sounds of the battle. "SHUTTLE FIVE, STINGERS SEVEN TO TWELVE FOLLOW ME. SHUTTLE FIVE TAKE OUT THE BOTTOM GUNS, I WILL TARGET THE EXHAUST PORTS." She angled her shuttle to fire at the underside of the war ship. Shuttle five knocked out the guns, while the stingers buzzed around keeping the gunners attention off the attack.

"LOCK FORWARD TORPEDOES ONTO THE SHIP."

"LOCK AND LOADED CAPTAIN."

"KACEY GET YOUR PEOPLE OUT OF THE WAY NOW."

"ROGER KATE. ALL CRAFT PULL BACK."

The smaller ships returned to Andromeda. "FIRE TORPEDOES." Kate ordered.

The torpedoes left the forward tubes and found their mark. The ship exploded rocking Andromeda with the force of the blast. The shock waves tossed the smaller ships like toys. The pilots righted themselves and headed back into the battle.

"Good shot. That is three war ships down. The last one is coming up behind you."

"Roger Kacey." Kate said. "Aft torpedoes full spread FIRE." She ordered.

Once again Andromeda rocked with the force of the blast.

"The ore carriers are bugging out. Do you want us to pursue?"

"Negative Kacey. Have all your ships return. I do not think they will bother us again."

"From your mouth the God's ear." Kacey sighed. "Roger Kate. All ships return to Andromeda. Those on scheduled rotation remain outside. All other ships land." Kacey ordered.

"Slow to warp seven and lover shields over the Hanger." Kate ordered. "Kacey report to the Bridge as soon as you have secured your shuttle."

"Affirmative Kate

The Bridge crew released a collective sigh as the battle ended.

"Scanners show that the ships continue to retreat. No other vessels near us." Anya reported.

"That is good to hear." Kate stated.

"Tell me Katie, did Kacey keep her word?" Liam asked softly.

"She did. I am surprised, but she did. She told me she would not rush into battle until she fully assessed the situation. She directed her people rather than being in the thick of the battle. I imagine it drover her crazy to hang back."

Kacey closed the ramp on her shuttle. She made her way to her office to drop off her equipment before she headed to the Bridge. She stopped long enough to get on the Hanger P.A.

"Excellent job everyone." She stated. "Go though all the Stingers and shuttles, replace any damaged systems. Any injuries report to Sick Bay. Make sure all the ships are in peak condition. I do not think we have seen the last of the Limari and we need to be ready for them. When your shifts are over, the first drink is on me. Thank you everyone.

She continued her journey to the Bridge.

CHAPTER 16 B

Kacey continued her journey to the Bridge. She stepped off the lift and went to her chair.

"Well done lass." Liam stated with pride in his voice.

"Thanks dad."

"Damage report?" Kate demanded.

"A few banged areas caused by debris from the explosions. No injuries except for bruises from being slammed around. They have been ordered to report to Sick Bay."

"Good."

"I have them going through all the ships that were involved to check the systems and replace as needed. I also told them the first drink was on me after their duty shifts." Kacey stated.

"Sensors show the ore carriers have continued to retreat. No other ships on the boards." Anya stated.

"Come into my Ready Room." Kate said. "Commander you have the Bridge."

"Aye Katie. What do you want to do about the civilians in Safe Haven?"

"If we have no further problems after three hours, they can leave."

Kate left the Bridge with Kacey close behind her. She poured each a coffee and gestured for Kacey to sit. Kate sat in the chair next to her instead of behind her desk.

"Is there something you failed to tell me earlier?"

"I am not sure what you are asking."

"Is there... wait let me rephrase that. Did the Doctor say anything you have not shared with me?" Kacey took a sip of her coffee before she looked at Kate. "I take it from your silence there is something you failed to mention." Kacey remained silent. "Do I need to talk to Doctor McCloud?"

"You can try, but I took back that permission."

"What are you not telling me? Is there some residual damage?"

"No there is no residual damage."

"All right Kacey. We can do this the easy way and you tell me everything or the hard way where I have Natalia talk to the Doctor then talk to me."

"Do you know one of the reasons you and Anya are so well suited for each other?" You are both as tenacious as a dog with a bone. You just will not leave things alone."

"Why did you hold back from the battle earlier?"

"I told you I would not rush in. I gave you my word. By holding back I was able to tell you about those two ships that were trying to outflank you." Kacey stated. "Are you sorry I was able to warn you?"

"Of course not. Kate said. "I know you gave me your word. Is that the only reason you held back?"

"Isn't my word enough?" Kacey asked. Kate looked at her and waited. Kacey concentrated on her coffee. She snuck looks to see Kate watching her. She looked up after a tense silence. "You may be the Captain, the supreme commander on Andromeda, but I should still be able to keep something to myself."

"That is very true, but right this very minute, I am not the Captain. I am your sister." Kate said. "What did the Doctor say that scared you?"

Kacey played with her wedding band. "She did not pull any punches. She told me how very close I came to dying with this last injury. She even showed me in graphic detail. It made me reevaluate how I do or rather used to do things. Natalia does not know any of this yet. I hope you will let me tell her." Kate nodded. "I did a lot of thinking while I was out there before our visitors arrived."

"Did you come to any decisions?"

"I did. What I decided is that I want to spend many, many years with Natalia and our children, with mom and dad, with you and Anya and the rug rats. I can not do that if I am dead. So I am going to try and think about my family before I commit myself to dangerous situations."

"That is good to hear."

"Who would you argue with if I am not around." Kacey joked. "However, that does not pertain to any time we land. My orders still stand."

Kate sighed. "Seeing how you were the target on two of the planets we have landed on and a few confrontations, maybe I should guard your back."

"I do not think so Kate."

"You don't think I can watch your back?"

"I think you are more than capable of that."

"Is there a but in there?" Kacey shook her head no.

"No buts."

"Did the Doctor say anything else?"

"After she told me how close I came to having a couple of major organs destroyed, she suggested I wear a protective e vest."

"Suggested?"

"She blackmailed me into it. It will protect all my vital organs. As well as monitor their performance. Damn thing even has sensors that are body heat activated so they can tell if I have it on." Kate laughed. "I feel like a little kid again when we had to wear those stupid bracelets that told mom and dad where I was." Kate laughed harder.

"Every child had to wear those. It was for our safety and to protect us."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. One of my most favorite memories was the day I turned eighteen and could take it off for good."

"If I remember right, you destroyed it."

"I certainly did." Kacey laughed. "I hated that damn thing."

"Well now that you have children, you get to listen to them bitch about wearing them."

"Is there anything else Kate, I have reports that need to be done."

"Get out of here." Kate ordered.

Kacey left the Ready Room. She went to Natalia's side. "Can you get away for lunch in an hour?"

Natalia looked at Anya who nodded. "Sure."

Kacey continued to the lift and to her office. She turned on her computer and pulled up her reports folder. She opned a new report and started filling in the information on their latest battle.

---------------------------

"Long range scanners are showing Limai ships at seven million kilometers." Anya reported. "They are on a parallel course to us."

"Are you sure they are Limari?"

"Sensors are picking up trilithium propulsion signatures."

"They just will not give up." Kate stated. "How many ships?"

"Twelve. Five off our port and starboard sides and two behind us."

"How long before we are out of Limari territory."

"Seven hours."

"Red alert." Kate ordered. "Bridge to Colonel O'Malley."

"Go ahead Kate."

"Our friends are shadowing us."

"What is their distance?"

"Seven million kilometers. How many ships can you send out if needed?"

"Just about all of them. We have four that are being repaired but all others are ready to go."

"Put them on standby." Kate ordered.

"Will do Kate." Kacey got on the Hanger intercom. "Attention looks like the Limari want another go round. All pilots to your ships. Do your preflight now and wait for further orders. I will be on the Bridge after I do my preflight." Kacey ran out of her office and to her shuttle. She did her outside inspection before she went inside her shuttle. She made a list of items she needed to replace. Kacey went to the storage area and gathered the items she needed, and then to her office. She grabbed the vest and unzipped the top of her flight suit. She put the vest on and pulled up her suit. She finished collecting the items needed and completed her pre flight check before she headed to the Bridge.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page