So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                    CHAPTER 25 A

    Kacey slept for almost sixteen hours straight, before her body reminded her of certain body functions that could not be overlooked.  After almost a week of little sleep, she felt groggy, but not enough to just turn over and go back to sleep.  She threw off the covers and rose unsteadily to her feet.  Once she gained her land legs she started for the bathroom.

    "Kate said twenty four hours."  Natalia's voice came from the doorway.

    "Except for bio breaks sweetheart."  Kacey called over her shoulder.  The door closed and within seconds heard the loud sigh of relief.  She laughed.  Several minutes had elapsed before she heard the sound of the recycler.  Then she heard the sound of running water as the shower turned on.

    "After sleeping that long, Kacey is bound to be hungry."  She said out loud then pressed the private call button.  "Kate?"

    "Yes Natalia.  Did Kacey wake up?"

    "Just a few minutes ago.  She is in the shower right now.  I will make sure she rests again after she eats breakfast."

    "Good, keep me posted."

    Ten minutes later, dressed in a clean set of comfortable clothes, her hair still wet rom the shower, and barefoot, she walked from the bedroom to the kitchen counter.  Natalia handed her a coffee.

    "Thank you sweetheart."  Kacey said as she sipped the steaming beverage.  "What ever you are cooking, smells great."  Her stomach rumbled in anticipation.

    "Your breakfast my dear.  I figured that after sleeping that long you would be hungry especially when I know for a fact the last meal you ate was breakfast yesterday."

    "You are not only beautiful but smart as well.  How did I ever get so lucky.  You are right I am hungry."

    "It will be ready shortly.  Sit down."

    Kacey pulled out the stool from under the counter.  "Natalia, thank you."

    "For what honey?"

    "For having the courage to rat me out to Kate."

    "I thought you would be angry with me."

    "Angry for caring enough to take measures to insure I do not damage myself?  Never going to happen babe."  Kacey pulled Natalia in for a hug and kissed the top of her head.

    "Let me see your eyes."  Natalia stated.  Kacey looked at her.  "Not as bad as yesterday, but still bloodshot."

    "They feel a lot better.  At least the lights do not hurt."

    "By my calculations you are still lacking around twenty one hours of sleep, that hopefully you can catch up on over the next week."

    "How do you figure that?"

    Natalia filled a plate and placed it in front of Kacey.  She refilled her coffee cup and made a tea for herself."  You eat and I will explain my math."  Kacey picked up the fork and began eating.  "You normally get around seven hours of sleep a night.  Over the course of a week that equal forty nine hours."

    "So far your math is correct."  Kacey said between bites.

    "Now over the course of this last week you have averaged two to three hours a night.  At the most that is twenty one hours.  That leaves a total of twenty eight hours.  We can now subtract the normal seven that you normally get and that leaves twenty one hours that you are still lacking."

    "According to the clock, I slept for sixteen hours, so that number needs to be subtracted."  Kacey protested.

    "For the sake of argument, we will take the nine hours over your normal seven that still leaves twelve.  However, we must also take into consideration that last night was the eighth night then we have to add seven to that so that brings you back up to nineteen hours.  Which mean you still need to catch up."

    "I hate to tell you this sweetheart, but lost sleep is lost forever.  You can never catch up on it."

    "Humor me Colonel."  Natalia stated.

    Kacey smiled.  "Hey where are the babies?"

    "They are with your parents.  I will pick them up later.  They wanted you to sleep without interruption.  So after you finish eating you will go back to bed?"

    "Tell you what, How about you join me and I  will try to 'catch up' on a few more hours of sleep."  Kacey winked at her.

    "I could be talked into that.  Before we do, I have your eye drops."

    Kacey finished eating and took the small bottle from her.  She took the top off and tilted her head back.  She squeezed two drops in each eye.  She hissed as the solutions stung.  She closed her eyes to relieve some of the stinging. Minutes later she opened them and blinked several times.

    "Some day they will make eye drops that do not feel like someone is sticking pins in my eyes."

    "How do they feel after the stinging stops?"

    "Better.  It is just the initial discomfort.  So now my dear come back to bed with me?"  Kacey asked rakishly.

    "Lead the was Colonel."

    With arms around each other they walked into their bedroom.

--------------------------------------------

    Kate strolled out on the surface holding hands with Anya.  Their girls ran around them laughing.  Since their return they spent time playing with their children.  Liam and Patricia walked ahead of them with the twins in their stroller.  Not far behind them a Marine security detail followed.  Kate looked over her shoulder at her guards.

    "Do not say anything Kate."  Anya ordered.

    Kate sighed and kept quiet.  She released the hand she held and threaded her arm through Anya's.

    The late afternoon sun was slowly heading towards the horizon.  The air cooled slightly.  The red from the setting sun radiated from the setting sun.

    "Red sky at night sailor's delight.  Tomorrow will be a nice day."  Kate stated.

    "What was that, Kate?"  Anya asked.

    "Something the ancient sailors used to use to predict the weather.  Red sky at dawning sailors take warning.  Red sky at night sailors delight.  The red sky from the setting sun means tomorrow will be a nice day."

    "When you think about them, they were the real explorers.  They face sometimes insurmountable tasks and hardships with only the stars to guide them.  No maps, no star charts, no sensors, scanners or shields to protect them, no faster that light speeds, just their wits and courage.  They were totally dependent on the whims of nature."

    "That is very true.  I for one am very glad we live in this age and not that one.  I do not think even Kacey would have that much courage and fortitude."

    "Speaking of her, how is she doing?"

    "Natalia called me when she first woke up after over fifteen straight hours of sleep."

    "Good.  She seems to be following orders and behaving herself."  Anya stated.

    "When we get back to Earth I will probably be arrested for assault when I kick the joint chiefs in their collective keisters for giving her those orders."

    "There is a fairly long line to do just that, Kate."

    "Good."

    "Would you really have talked to the doctors if she did not stay in bed?"

    "I am happy I did not have to make that decision, but do not tell her that."

    Anya chuckled.  "I know Liam asked her for help with the music for the party."

    "What sort o help."

    "His idea was to give the orchestra the night off to enjoy the party and just use music discs.  Between the two of them they probably have every Irish song covered."

    "Working on music is relaxing for her so I will cut her some slack."

    "Do you know when you parent are planning on bringing the babies back?"  Anya asked.

    "Should be shortly.  Natalia invited everyone over for dinner which if we start back now we will be just in time for."

    "Girls, time to head back."  Anya called out.  They ran back to their mothers followed closely by Liam and Patricia with the babies.

                                         CHAPTER 25 B


    Dinner was a memory.  The adults sat in the living room relaxing.  Kacey stood by the keyboard as the girls practiced.  She let them play the piece they were currently learning, all the way through before she spoke.

    "For a first try that was not bad at all."  She encouraged them.  "Remember to watch the symbols.  They are as important as the notes you play.  If the symbol says to play softly, do not bang the keys."  She went behind the girls and placed her hands on the keys to show them what they did.  They moved to give her room.  "This is what you did."  She brought her fingers forcefully down on the keys.  "This is what you need to do."  Her fingers caressed the keys.  "Do you hear the difference?"  They both nodded.  "Good.  This piece calls for the notes to be gently played.  So try that again."
The girls played as she directed.  She smiled.  "Much, much better.  When we get together tomorrow, remember what you have learned tonight.  Now go get a snack before your mother eats them all."  Kate turned outraged eyes her way.

    Kacey walked over to Patricia who held Caitlyn.  She kissed the blonde head and sniffed the clean fresh from the bath baby scent.  She looked up to see Kate watching her.

  "Is there a problem Kate?"  She asked.

  "Problem?  No.  I was just sitting here thinking and two things popped into my mind."

  "Would you care to share those thoughts?"  Anya asked.

  "Certainly."  Kate answered.  "My first thought is how much better you look today.  You still look like you went five rounds with the champ,  Now at least you look like you might have won."

  "Of course I won.  I am a Marine.  We are not taught to accept anything but success."  Kacey boasted.

  "What is your second thought, Kate?"  Natalia asked.

  "I am still amazed how those two little ones are better than a tranquilizer for your restless spirit."

  Kacey shrugged.  "Oh it is still there, alive and kicking, Kate.  It is just... umm"  She stopped as the word she wanted eluded her.

  "At peace?"  Natalia supplied.

  "Lass the wee ones complete ye."  Liam stated.

  "You have reached that stage in your life where you are a whole person and happy with the direction your life has taken."  Patricia added.

  "I can not argue with that mom."

  "When we return home, maybe now that fancy kitchen you built will actually get used and less night sleeping in your office on the base."  Kate joked.  "Did you tell Natalia about those nights?"

  "I did. I did not realize you kept tract."  Kacey stated.  "Now can we get back to talking about the party?

  "I did indeed.  I knew that if your speeder wasn't in the driveway when we went to bed, you would be spending the night on base."  Kate said.  "As for the party, the menu is set and the replicators have been programmed for a traditional Irish meal.  Danny has finally got the green color right for the beer and drinks programmed also."

  "I have the music set.  I took all the discs we have and pulled the songs I wanted and put together several different discs so there will be at least eight hours of continuous music."

  "When did you manage to get all that done?"  Kate asked.

  "Those nights I watched the outside of your hut.  Did you think all I did was stare at the computer screen?"

  Kate shook her head.

-----------------------------------

    The area outside the Hanger was set up with tables.  The light outside gave off a small green glow.  Speakers were set up around the dance floor.  Kacey spent time making sure all the speakers were operating at the same level.  She pointed to a speaker and gave her assistant a signal to adjust the volume.  She went through all the speakers until she was satisfied they had the best possible sound.  She gave the tech a thumbs up signal as she walked into the Hanger.

  The party was scheduled to start at eighteen hundred hours.  She checked the time.

  "Lock up the console.  The sound is good.  I will be in my quarters getting ready."  She stated as she headed for the lift.

  "Roger, Colonel."  The tech stated as he covered the sound board and locked the cover.

  Kacey walked into her quarters.  "Hi honey.  I'm home."  She called out.

  Natalia walked out of the nursery with the sitter who would watch their children during the party.  "Hi sweetheart.  Do you remember Jordan?"

  "I do.  How are you Jordan?"

  "I am very well Colonel.  Your children are beautiful and getting so big."

  "Thank you.  Also thank you for watching them again."

  "They are good and no problem.  I have a few reports for school that I have to finish so I will stay busy after they fall asleep."

  "Hit the shower Kacey or we will be late."  Natalia ordered as she pushed Kacey towards their bedroom.  Kacey smiled and headed to the shower.  Natalia showed the sixteen year old baby sitter where the snacks and bottles for the children were.

---------------------------------

  The party was in full swing.  Dinner had finished and the dirty plates taken care of.  Kacey signaled for the sound tech to start the dancing music.  She led Natalia to the makeshift dance floor.  They moved gracefully around the couples who danced near by.



  Natalia rested her head on Kacey's chest.  She heard the slow steady heartbeat beneath her ear.  Near by Kate was in the same position in Anya's arms.  A smile of contentment on her face.  Natalia knew that if she looked around Liam and Patricia would be close by.

  One song ended and another started.  The tempo of the music changed with each song.  The variety of the ever changing music was enjoyable.  Many songs the crew sang along with.  Liam's tenor voice could be heard above all the other voices.

  They sat around the family table and relaxed, taking a break from the dancing.  Kacey took a sip of her green tinted brandy as she put her arm around Natalia's shoulders.  She smiled as she looked at her family.  She felt the slight buzz from the brandy she had consumed and wondered if the strength was increased.  In the back of her mind she felt the beginnings of the slightly disjointed feelings as she debated having another drink.  She took mental stock that her attention and abilities were not dimmed.

  "What are you thinking about?"  Natalia asked.

  "If I should have another drink?"  She replied.

  "How many have you had already?"

  "Three I think."  Kate filled Kacey's glass not allowing her to decide.  "I guess that ends that debate"  She picked up her glass and took a small sip, determined this would be her last and stretched it out.

  "Lass tis a fine job ye did on the music."  Liam stated.

  "Thanks, dad.  I was inspired."

  "Eh?  And would ye be feeling up to telling us who or what was inspiring ye?"  He teased and looked at Natalia who blushed.

  Kacey smiled and looked into her father's twinkling blue eyes as he waited to hear what they thought they already knew.  "You were my inspiration dad."  She said and watched as tears filled his eyes.

  He sniffed.  "Ah lass tis not nice to make you old da cry."

  Kacey leaned over and kissed his cheek.  She signaled for the special disc to be played.  "There are two song I put in especially for you."  Liam looked at her and smiled as "Galway Bay"  started.  He began to sing, everyone at their table sang along with him.  Soon many of the party goers joined in.  The song ended.  Kacey stood and signaled to stop the disc.  She spoke loudly so all could hear her.  "May I have everyone's attention please."  She waited until all eyes were on her.  "One of my earliest memories was being held in my father's arms and listening to him sing to me.  I have been blessed to hear him sing to our nieces and now to our children.  So in his honor I would like to play one special song for him and for all those mothers and fathers who sing to their children"  She nodded for the music to continue.

    Over in Killarney, many years ago.
    My mother sang a song to me in tones so soft and low.
    Just a simple little ditty in her good old Irish way
    And I'd give the world if I could hear that song of hers today.

    Too ra loo ra loo ral.  Too ra loo ra li.
    Too ra loo ra loo ral.  Hush now don't you cry.
    Too ra loo ra loo ral.  Too ra loo ra li.
    Too ra loo ra loo ral.  That's an Irish lullabye.

  Kacey sang and soon everyone joined in.  Liam put his arms around both his daughters and sang to them.  When the song ended he hugged them both.

  Kacey signaled again and the dancing music started again.  The table emptied to join the dancers.  Kate hesitated just long enough to fill Kacey's glass again.


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page