So Far From Home

by Psyche_B

Year three in the Voyage of Andromeda.  The adventure that started in  Among the Stars, and Beyond the Farthest Planet continues in Far From Home.

Go To Part 1


                                        CHAPTER 33 A

    "What do you see, Healer Jy?"

    The Healer pointed to several dark spots on the monitor.  Do you see these spots here, here, and here on the muscle and nerves?"

    "I do. What are... wait are those stitches?"

    "That is what they look like, Doctor McCloud.  If those are not stitches, it is something that is blocking the impulses along the nerve and those along the muscle will stop movement."

    "In your opinion, if these obstructions are removed, the feelings and movement will return?"

    "Nerves are my specialty Doctor.  Yes I believe the feelings and movement will return after those stitches are removed."

    "What is going on?"  Kacey called from the examination table.

    The two doctors moved away from the machine.  Doctor McCloud motioned for Kate and Natalia to join them.

    "We have found several obstructions in the nerve and muscle."  Healer Jy stated.

    "What do you need to do Healer Jy?"  Natalia asked.

    "The obstructions need to be removed."

    "Will this restore the feelings and movements?"  Kate asked.

    "I believe it will, Captain."

    "Does that mean there are no guarantees?"

    "Colonel nothing in life is guaranteed, except that we all will die." The Healer answered.

    "Kacey, you can leave things as they are and hope that if these are in fact stitches that have dissolved, that they will eventually dissolve on their own.  However, if they have not dissolved after all this time, they probably will not."

    "What is the next step?"

    "If you approve, we will operate and remove the obstructions."

    "I approve.  Where and when?"  Kacey stated and looked at Natalia and Kate who both nodded.

    "Healer Jy, I would suggest you perform the surgery."

    "I will and I would like you to assist me Doctor McCloud."

    "Yes I will assist."

    "Colonel have you eaten anything this morning?"

    "Not a whole lot around seven hundred hours."

    "We will wait until this afternoon to make sure your stomach is empty.  You will be put under sedation.  The surgery should take about an hour.  Then I would like you to stay overnight for observation.  You will be able to return to your ship tomorrow."

    "Talia, I have to do this.  I hope you understand.".

    "Sweetheart, of course I understand.  I fully support your decision. Healer Jy will I be able to bring our children by later to see Kacey?"

    "We encourage families to visit. Being able to see loved ones helps the patient's recovery."

    "I will contact everyone.  Mom and Anya can bring the children."  Kate said and left the exam room.

---------------------------

    Another waiting room with comfortable chairs that no one really felt like sitting in.  Anya and Patricia held Caitlyn's and Patrick's hands as they toddled around the room.  Liam came in with drinks for everyone.  Coffee for Kate and himself, tea for Patricia, Anya and Natalia, juice for the children.

    "How long has it been?"  Natalia asked.

    "Not quite thirty minutes Natalia."

    "Why does this surgery scare me more than the last one?"

    "Maybe it is because we know that if it does not work, her days as a musician and quite possibly a pilot are at an end.  There is a lot riding on this surgery."  Anya told her.

    "This surgery will work lass."  Liam stated.  "I have a good feeling."

    "So do I Natalia."  Patricia added.

    Patrick started to cry.  Natalia bent down to pick him up.  "Hey little man, your mommy will be fine."  She whispered.  "What is wrong?"  She continued to walk with him.  Patrick laid his head on her shoulder and was soon asleep.

    "Looks like little Mac was tired.  Would ye be wanting me to lay him in his stroller?"

    Natalia kissed the dark head and handed the sleeping boy to his grandfather, who placed him gently in the stroller.  Patricia picked up Caitlyn and put her next to Patrick.  She rocked the stroller and soon the little girl was asleep.

    "Mama will Aunt Kacey's hand work now?"  Erica asked.

    "We all hope so Erica."  Anya answered.

    "Can we go back in and see Aunt Kacey?"

    "If you can be really good Erin.  This is not Sick Bay so you have to be quiet and super good."

    The door opened.  Doctor MC Cloud and Healer Jy entered the waiting room.

    "We removed all the stitches and repaired the areas involved that had not completely healed.  Colonel O'Malley will have to keep the arm immobilized for the next week to make sure everything heals completely.  After that she will be allowed slow and moderate use for the next two weeks.  Then to full use."  Healer Jy told them.  Captain how long will you be visiting us?"

  "We are not on any sort of schedule Healer.  We will stay as long as you need us to." 

  "Healer Jy, what are the chances of continued impairment?"  Natalia asked.

  "Mrs. O'Malley I do not foresee any impairment.  But if in fact there is, it will be negligible.  I can honestly say she will have full use of all her fingers."

  "Kacey will be out of recovery in about thirty minutes.  You can see her then."

  "Healer Jy can we still bring the children in?"

  "Yes Commander Jensen.  As I said earlier we encourage families no matter what age to visit.  We have found the patient recovery time is shortened by being able to see family members.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

    Kacey held Natalia's hand as they walked out of the hospital.  Anya had a hand under the affected arm to steady her as the walked toward the rover.  Kate walked near by in case she was needed.  Kate slid into the driver's seat with Kacey beside her.  Natalia fastened the safety belt around her then joined Anya in the back seat.

  "Hold on Kate.  Who cleared you to drive the rover?"

  "Do not side seat drive Kacey."  Anya warned.

  "Hey I just want to make sure she is qualified to drive this.  I would rather not be in an accident."  Kacey argued.

  "Relax Kacey.  Mike gave me instructions and let me drive it around Andromeda before I came to pick you up.  He gave me the basics while you were hiding in your quarters."

  "I was not hiding"  She protested.  "I just did not feel like seeing anyone."

    "Uh huh."

    "That will be enough from both of you."  Anya ordered.  "Did the Healer give you any medication?"

    "Natalia has them."

    "Do you have any instructions?"  Kate asked.

    Kacey sighed.  "Yes mom, Natalia has those also."  Kacey said with a smile.

    Kate shot her a dirty look before she started the rover.  "Are you looking for a smack down little sister?"

    Kacey laughed. "Sorry Kate, but do the words you ain't big enough mean anything to you?"

    Kate turned the rover around and headed back to the field where Andromeda had landed.  Anya and Natalia looked at each other and shook their heads.

    "You think so?"  Kate good naturedly argued.  "I may be smaller, but I am no wimp."

    "Except for long distance running."

    "You have me there little sister."

    "Younger, Kate."

    "You do plan on following the Healers instructions, Right?"  Kate looked at her.

    "Of course I will.  I want to regain the use of my hand.  Now how about you keep your eyes on the road so you do not run over a small child or put us up a tree."

    "At least I never backed a speeder into a tree."

    "Hey I was only fifteen at the time."

    Natalia leaned over and whispered.  "at least they are not screaming at each other."

    "That is very true."

    Kacey laid her head back against the seat and relaxed.

    "Did they give you pain meds before you were discharged?"

    "Yeah, they gave me some of that joy juice in case I was jostled around by an inexperienced driver.  It is kicking in."

    "Then why don't you shut your mouth, close your eyes and relax and leave the driving to me.  We will be back to Andromeda in about twenty minutes."

    Kacey felt the displacement that proved the pain medication was taking hold.  She relaxed and was silent for the rest of the journey.  Her head slumped against her shoulder.

    "Doctor McCloud will meet us will a hover chair when we arrive."  Kate stated.

    "That is good to hear because I do not think Kacey will be in any condition to walk."  Anya said.

    "The hard part will be getting her into the hover chair without getting knocked on our asses."  Kate joked.

    Kate stopped the rover next to the Hanger ramp.  Doctor McCloud pushed the chair to meet them.  Natalia jumped out of the rover before any of the Marines could reach them.  She held her hands up to stop them from reaching for Kacey.

    "Give me a minute to talk to her so that no one gets hurt."  The Marines waited.  They all knew what their Colonel could and would do even when sedated.  Natalia spoke softly to her.  "Sweetheart we are back to Andromeda.  I am going to release your safety belt.  Then some of your Marines will get you into a hover chair.  Please do not take a swing at anyone. I will be right here with you."  Natalia felt a reassuring squeeze on her hand.  She remained in physical contact with Kacey as the Marines reached in to lift her out of the rover .  They felt her jump, but the reassuring hand kept her from swinging.  She was gently placed in the chair.  Natalia fastened the belt to hold her in place.

  "Captain I think she should be in Sick Bay at least until she wakes up."

  "Does she really have to go to Sick Bay?  She would be more relaxed in our quarters, Doctor."

  "She can sleep just as well in her quarters.  Do you mind me tagging along at least until the medication wears off?"

  "Please join up Doctor."

 

                                      CHAPTER 33 B

    The group headed up the ramp to the lift.  Natalia continued to hold Kacey's hand.  She entered the code to open the door where Liam met them.  Patricia moved the children out of the way.  The babies in their walkers started to babble when the saw their mothers.

  Anya pushed the chair towards the bedroom.  Natalia stopped her and pointed to the couch instead.  Kate grabbed pillows and a blanket from the storage area.  Liam and Anya moved Kacey out of the chair and onto the couch.  Natalia released Kacey's hand and moved her head onto the pillow.  Kate removed her boots and covered her with the blanket.  Doctor McCloud moved beside her.

  "Natalia take her hand again.  I would like to check her vitals and keep my body parts."

  Natalia took the hand that lay on the blanket.  As before she felt the strong fingers curl around her own.  She nodded to the doctor who checked Kacey's vitals.

  "Her vitals are good."  She checked her watch.  "She should wake up in the next half hour or so.  She will probably be groggy until the medicine leave her system completely."

  "I will start a pot of coffee for her."  Patricia volunteered.

------------------

  Through the thick fog surrounding her brain, Kacey fought her way back to wakefulness.  Her mind was slow in relaying the information her body was sending.  As the moments passed the fog lift until she became aware of the increasing discomfort in her arm and bladder.  She fought her way awake.  Her eyes snapped open and she tried to sit up.

  "Easy Colonel.  Get your land legs."

  "Have to get up."  Kacey mumbled.

  Natalia and the Doctor helped her to sit up.  She continued to struggle.  "Help me to stand."

  "Colonel you are not awake enough."

  Liam moved the coffee table out of the way.

  "Talia."  Kacey motioned her closer and whispered in her ear.  She smiled.

  "We will get you there." Natalia told Doctor McCloud what she had said.

  'All right Colonel.  Commander Jensen would you assist me."

  Liam stepped in.  "I will help doctor."

  "Commander Jensen is better suited for this Commander O'Malley, but if you will help her stand we will get her to the head."

  "Ah, Aye Doctor."  Liam blushed.  He reached down and put his arms around Kacey.  "Lass put your good arm around me neck and we will get ye upright."

  Kacey put her arm around Liam's neck and together they got her upright.  She swayed for a few seconds.  Liam's strong arms held her steady.  Anya moved into place on Kacey's right side while the doctor took the left.  Together they were able to get her into the bathroom.  Liam backed away when they reached the door.  Doctor McCloud and Anya helped her the rest of the way.

  Kacey hoped they both would give her some privacy, but only Anya left closing the door, after they helped lower her trousers.  While Kacey relieved her immediate needs, the Doctor wet a face cloth with cool water.  She passed the cloth over Kacey's face which helped chase more of the cobwebs away.

  "Thanks Doc."

  "Are you ready for me to call Commander Jensen back in?"

  "Yeah, I am ready."

  "Commander Jensen, would you come back in please?"  She called out.

  The door opened.  Anya handed Kacey a pair of shorts.  "These might be easier for you to get up and down."  She knelt down and removed the trousers and slipped the shorts on.  They helped her stand and pulled the shorts all the way up.  Kacey moved to the sink where she washed her hand.  Liam waited in the bedroom and was ready when the bathroom door opened.

  "Feeling better lass?"

  "A lot better dad."

  "Tis grand to hear.  Your mother has coffee ready for ye."

  "Fantastic."  Kacey replied as they walked her back into the living room.  Once again she was seated on the couch.  Patricia handed her a coffee.  "Thanks mom."  She took a sip of the steaming beverage. "That is good.  The stuff they gave me this morning tasted like old worn gym socks."  Everyone made a face.  "Where are the babies?"

  "Having their lunch.  Do you feel like eating?"

  "Give me a few minutes mom."

  "Of course dear."

  Kacey continued to sip her coffee.  "Hey wait a minute.  How did I get here?  Last thing I remember we were talking in the rover."

  "You said the pain meds they gave you were kicking in and you fell asleep.  Dad had to carry you through the ship."  Kate joked.

  Kacey blushed with embarrassment at the visual.

  "Kate that will be enough of that."  Anya ordered.  "Tell her the truth."

  "A few of your Marines got you into a hover chair.  Sorry I could not resist.  Between the Doctor, Anya and dad, they got you onto the couch."

  "How are you feeling now, Colonel?"

  "A lot better Doc.  More awake now anyway."

  "Do you have any pain?"

  "Some but nothing I cannot handle for now."

  "Take it easy for the next week as Healer Jy stated.  Do not put any stress on your arm which means no lifting.  Use the sling and we will see how everything goes next week.  If you can follow our instructions fully we may let you go back to partial desk duty by the end of next week.  Maybe even playing your violin."

  Kate watched the sparkle ignite in Kaceys eyes.  "Doctor you have now hit the heart of the matter.  That fact alone will keep her following orders to the letter."  Kacey shrugged and finished her coffee.

  "Doctor will you stay for lunch?"  Patricia asked.

  "I do not want to put you out Mrs. O'Malley."

  "Nonsense there is plenty."

  "Doctor at times like these we find it is better to just agree with her."  Kate stated.

  "Then thank you.  I accept your invitation."

  "Kate help the girls set the table and leave Kacey and the Doctor alone."  Anya ordered.

  Kate helped the girls while Patricia brought Kacey another coffee.

  "Doc I know you said no lifting, does that also include holding our children?"

  "As long as someone pick them up for you.  Holding them will not do any damage."

------------------

  That night for the first time in weeks, Kacey slept the whole night.  The bubble of hope continued to grow inside her.  Her appetite also returned which pleased Patricia when she ate two bowls of home made stew and several biscuits.

  What really put a smile on her face was Talia placing Caitlyn on her lap.  The little girl looked up at her and smiled.  Kacey felt her heart fill with love when Caitlyn jabbed her in the chest and said,'"mommy."

  "That is new."  She exclaimed.  "Yes my darling girl I am your mommy.  Has Patrick come up with any new words?"

  "He did indeed.  He called me poppy today."  Liam said as he puffed out his chest.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page