The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


                                               CHAPTER 12 A

        Kacey let herself into their quarters.  Patrick met her at the door with a big smile.  Caitlyn toddled in her direction.  She knelt down and opened her arms for them.  Kacey gathered both children close and stood up.  Natalia met her in the living room.  After placing Caitlyn in her chair, Natalia kissed Kacey before Patrick was placed in his chair.  Natalia handed Kacey a brandy.

  "Thank you, sweetheart."  Kacey said and kissed Natalia.  "How was your afternoon?"

  "Quiet which was very nice.  Kate was in her Ready Room working on reports like you were.  She did ask me again if you were all right."

  "What did you tell her?"

  "That you were perfectly healthy."

  "Just not healthy enough to become pregnant or carry a child full term."

  "Sweetheart do not tear yourself up over this.  None of that is your fault.  You have no control over something your were born with."

  "Or in this case, born without.  It is crazy, I always considered myself lucky that I did not get the monthlies as my friends called it.  Oh once in awhile I would get one.  One that would only last a few hours instead of days.  I never realized there was something actually wrong with me."

  "I wish there was something I could say or do for you."  Natalia said, as she laid her head on the strong chest."

  "Honey I am sorry to be in this mood.  The news really threw me.  I know you did not sign up to be tied to an old grump like me."

  "Hold it right there Colonel."  Natalia ordered.  "I signed on, as you put it, for forever.  Good or bad you are stuck with me.  So do not even start this."  Kacey laughed.  "I do not see what is so funny.  All right you cannot carry a child.  So what.  If we decide to have more children, then I will carry them.  Do you understand me Colonel?"

  "Yes ma'am.  Do you know how very much I love you?  I especially love it when you get feisty."

  "Don't you ever forget it either."  Natalia emphasized each word with a poke to Kacey's chest.  "We all have bad things happen to us from time to time.  It is the bad that allows us to appreciate the good."  Natalia hugged Kacey tightly.  They stood locked in each other's arms until Patrick banged on the tray of his chair.

  "I think we are being told that someone wants some attention."

  "You may be right.  Go change while I get their dinner heated up."

  Kacey kissed Natalia's nose and went into the bedroom to change.  Natalia headed into the kitchen where she took their dinners out of the refrigerator and put them in the warming unit.  She then took their dinner and placed it in the oven to cook.  Kacey returned shortly in her comfortable clothes.  Patrick continued to bang on his tray.

  "Hey there little man you are making a lot of noise.  Are you telling us that you want to eat?"  Kacey asked.  She sat down in front of him.

  "Mommy."  The boy called out.

  "That is me, my boy."  Natalia handed her the food and small spoon.  Kacey fed Patrick while Natalia took care of Caitlyn.  "Talia, do we have any plans for tonight?"

  "Other than the girl's lessons, no."

  "Good, I would like to spend time with just you and the children."

  "I like that idea also.  After they eat and have their baths we can keep them up a little later than normal."

  "That sounds like a plan.  I can not believe how the time has flown.  They will be two before we get home.  I feel like I have missed of much of them growing."

  "Would things have been any different if we were on earth when they were born?"

  "Probably not."

  "Then why are you tearing yourself up over this.  Seems like it is a counter productive use of your time."

  "You are right it is counter productive.  I think I am bothered by the fact that no doctor has ever found the problem before.  Mom was religious to the point of almost being fanatical about making sure we went to all the necessary doctors our whole lives until we were in college at least.  Not just our regular Doctor, but Eye Doctors, Dentists and Gynocologists."

  "No it does not make sense.  Which mean you should talk to your mother."

  Kacey laughed.  "That would be quite the conversation. Say mom did Doctor Stephans ever mention that there was something wrong or missing with my insides?"

  "What is wrong with that?"  Natalia asked.  "Didn't you ever have the infamous mother daughter talk?"

  "Of course we did when I was twelve or thirteen, when the girls appeared and suddenly there was hair growing in places that were bare before."  Patrick took the opportunity to blow a carroty raspberry at Kacey.  She wiped the carrots off her face.  "This boy has fantastic aim.  Guess that is his way of telling me he has had enough."  Kacey took the damp cloth to wipe his face and hands.

  "You are the only person he does that to."

  "Is that right little man?"  He blew another raspberry at her.  She sighed and removed the rest of his dinner replacing it with his cup.

  "Go change your shirt.  You have half chewed carrots on it."

  Kacey went into the bedroom to change again.

-------------------------

  The girls had left after their lesson.  Kacey lay on the floor and let the children climb on her.  Natalia laughed at their antics.  They kept the children up past their usual bedtime just for this playtime.  Patrick sat on Kacey's stomach and bounced and giggled.

  "Hey buddy, you really like using me for a bouncing ball don't you?"  He blew another raspberry at her.  "You know Paddy me boy, you are only allowed to do that because you are so darn cute."  He laughed and blew another raspberry at her.  Caitlyn sat on her legs.  "You know Talia, I could use these two to help me do strengthening exercises."

  "Really how would you manage that?"

  "Come down here and support Caitlyn."
  Natalia knelt on the floor and put her arms around their daughter.  "I have her."

  Kacey lifted her legs off the floor several times with the child on top.  She giggled at the movement.  "See they can help me exercise."

  The door chimed.  Natalia looked at the monitor.  "It is Kate."

  "How about we pretend we are not here."  Kacey stated.

  "That would never work.  She would just have the computer locate us."  Natalia replied then called out.  "Come in Kate."

  Kate walked in and took in the sight of Kacey riding Caitlyn on her legs.  "New form of exercise?"

  "I am thinking about incorporating this into my regimen."

  "KayKay."  Patrick yelled and bounced on Kacey's stomach when he spied his aunt.

  "Hey little man, come see Auntie Kate."  She said kneeling on the floor and holding her arms out.  Patrick climbed off Kacey's stomach and ran to Kate's arms.  Natalia picked Caitlyn off of Kacey's legs and she followed Patrick to Kate.  Kacey stood up.

  "What's up Kate?"

  "Does something have to be up for me to visit with my favorite sister?"

  "Unless you know something I don't, I am your only sister."  Kacey replied and waited for Kate to answer.

  "All right, I would like to talk to you."

  Kacey sighed and went into the kitchen.  She poured two brandies, put ice in one glass and handed the other to Kate.

  "Thank you."

  "Would you two like to be alone?"  Natalia asked.

  "No Talia."  Kacey answered quickly as she sat on the love seat.  The children ran to her and climbed up beside her.  Kate sat across from her.

  "I think the rest of the crew would be shocked to know that you doubled for a jungle gym or monkey bars in your off hours."  Kate joked.  Kacey waited for her to get to the point.  "Tell me the truth without any sort of bull shit.  Are you having any health problems?

 

Kacey looked directly at Kate.  "I am not ill Kate."

    "Then tell me why you are taking extra time off?"

    "Kate in the last few weeks, I have put in an average of fourteen to eighteen hours a day, everyday.  So I am taking a few days off to regroup and rest.  Why are you making such a big deal out of it?"

  "The big deal little sister, is that you never take time off unless you are forced to.  For you to voluntarily take time off raised red flags all over the universe.  What is going on?"

  Kacey sighed again.  "In a few months, our children will be two.  I just wanted to spend some extra time with them and Talia.  What is so wrong with that?"

  "Nothing is wrong with that, but it is so out of character for you.  Why did you go see Doctor Amstell?"

  "Have you forgotten Doctor Patient confidentiality?"

  "That only means she cannot tell me anything without your permission."

  "Damn it.  I went for the same reason I have been going to doctors like her since I was thirteen years old."

  "It was just a physical?"  Kate asked.

  Kacey turned to pick up Caitlyn as she answered.  "Just a physical."

  "I do not believe you, Kacey."

  "I have absolutely no control over what you believe or do not believe."

  "Kate why do you think Kacey is not telling you the truth?"  Natalia asked.

  "It is very simple.  Kacey cannot look at someone if she is lying."

  "But she was looking at you."  She protested.

  "She turned away to pick up Caitlyn when she answered me."

  "Kate please drop it.  Be satisfied with the knowledge that I am not hurt or sick in any way.  That is all you really have to know."

  "Then there is something wrong?"

  "It will not affect my job performance.  That is all you need to be concerned about."

  "Damn it, that alone tells me something is wrong."

  "It is personal and none of your business.  Unless the laws have changed, I am allowed to keep personal matters to myself."

  "The laws have not changed and you are entitled to keep thing to yourself."  She looked from Kacey to Natalia and back.  Kacey ran her fingers through the blond curls on Caitlyn's heads.  The girls snuggled in her arms and closed her eyes as Kacey rubbed her head.  "It is amazing."

  "What is, Kate?"

  "How well you have adapted to motherhood. Watching you rub Caitlyn's head and her responding just like you do.  Does this have anything to do with having more children?"

  "Kate stop."

  "Honey, you know she will not stop until you tell her what is going on."  Natalia stated.

  "I went to see Doctor Amstell not just for the yearly exam, but to have her run the test needed to prepare me to become impregnated."  She stopped and looked at Kate.  "What she found was that I only have one ovary and that my uterus is only about a third the size of a normal one.  It would be very hard for me to become pregnant.  And if by some wild ass chance I did get pregnant, I would not be able to carry it full term.  That is why when I did get my periods they only lasted for a few hours."

  "I used to hate you for that."  Kate stated.  "Does she know what caused this?"

  "I was born this way."

  "Why did you feel the need to hide it?  Wait is this more of that tough warrior bull shit?  Or is it because your body is not one hundred percent perfect?"

  "How would you feel if it were you?"

  "Probably the same as you right now."

  "You know, what is funny?  Well not funny but strange? I never really considered ever getting pregnant until I found out that I cannot.  Now I am angry."  Kacey stated.  "Kate I would rather not have anyone knowing about this.  I do not want to be looked at with pity."

  "Mom probably already knows."

  "How the Hell could she possibly know?"

  "Think back, Kacey. The first time mom took you to see Doctor Stephans.  Did she talk to mom separately after the exam?"

  "Yeah so?"

  "Then mom knows.

  "Why did she never say anything to me about it?"

  "That you will have to ask her.  Look Kacey, your lack of some reproductive organs has absolutely nothing to do with you as a person."

  "I tried to tell her that earlier."  Natalia commented.

  "That is two people who agree.  Maybe you should not be so down on yourself. In no way are you half a woman because of this."

  "How about we change the subject."  Kacey stated.  "Did the girls tell you we are planning a recital for them?"

  "No when was this decided?"

  "We are just talking about it right now.  I am thinking a week from Sunday.  We can have the family and a few friends over like Mike and his girlfriend, Rhea and Bella.  I think they are ready for it."

  "Barring no red alerts I can guarantee we will be there."  Kate finished her drink and stood up.  "Enjoy your time off."  She said and walked out.

  "So Colonel, are you willing to listen to Kate and me?"

  "For now.  I want to talk to mom and get some answers."

  "You do what you need to do.  Right now how about we put these two down and have some quality mommy time."

   That my love is the best idea I have heard in a few days."  Kacey leaned over and kissed Natalia.  They brought their sleeping children into the nursery.  Arm in arm they walked into their bedroom.

----------------------------------------

    Kate sat on the couch in their quarters in the cradle of Anya's arms as they watched their daughters play.  Her eyes closed as she tried to stop the tension headache that started during her talk with Kacey.

  "Are you falling asleep my Kate?"

  "No just trying to lose my headache."

  "Why not take a nice relaxing bath.  Maybe that will help.  I can feel the tension in your shoulders and neck."

  "Perhaps you are right.  It could not hurt."

  "Of course I am right.  I will prepare it for you."

  Anya released Kate and went into their bathroom.  Kate could hear the sound of running water.  She leaned forward resting her elbows on her knees, and covered her face with her hands.

  "Mummy are you all right?"  Erin asked.

  "I will be if you two come over here and give me a big hug."  The girls quickly left their game to throw their arms around Kate.  "That makes me feel better."

  "Kate your bath is almost ready."  Anya said from the bedroom door.  Kate released the girls.

  "Do you really feel better mummy?"  Erika asked.

  "I really do.  I think your hugs are magical."  Kate stated.  She kissed each blond head and stood up.  The girls went back to their game as Kate walked into the bathroom shedding her clothes as she walked.  Anya placed Kate's pajamas on the shelf next to the tub where Kate could reach them.  As soon as Kate sank blissfully into the bubbles, Anya turned on the whirlpool jets.  Kate let the water jets work the kinks out of her shoulders and neck as she relaxed.



  Anya picked up the discarded clothes, carefully removing the pips from the sweater collar, put the clothes in the recycler.  Minutes later she took the clean and folded uniform and hung it in the closet.  Anya looked in on Kate and smiled.  She knew it would not take much for Kate to fall asleep as the water jets continued to relax her.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page