The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


   "Kacey has asked me to stay."  Anya stated softly as she handed Patricia the wine glass.

    "I would like that also."  Patricia responded.

    Anya picked up her wine glass and sat on the love seat.  Patricia went to Kacey's side, placed a hand on Kacey's arm and asked, "will you sit with me so that we can talk?"  She met Kacey's eye's in the glass reflection.  Kacey took a drink of her brandy and nodded, not trusting her voice not to crack from her overloaded emotions.  Together they turned from the window.  Patricia left her hand on Kacey's arm and brought her to the couch, where they sat side by side.  Patricia was grateful that Kacey did not pull away.  Patricia took both their glasses and placed them on the coffee table.  She gently covered Kacey's hands with her own.  "Would you look at me please?"  Patricia asked softly.  She waited until Kacey's eyes met hers.  "As much as I do not want to admit it, I have realized, that while you will always be my baby, my little girl, you have grown into a remarkable woman.  I have to keep reminding myself of that, so I will not hurt you ever again like I have, or cause you the sort of pain you have felt.  I was so very wrong in not treating you as the capable adult you are.  I can only apologize again for not telling you before you found out from strangers."  Patricia stopped and looked into Kacey's blue eyes and watched her swallow as the eyes filled with tears.  "You keep so much of your pain bottled up inside.  You only allow anger or joy to come out.  Let the pain out also.  Tell me what you are feeling in here."  She placed her hand over Kacey's heart.

  Kacey took a shaky breath.  "I was angry with you for keeping this secret.  Very angry."  She spoke softly.  "Then I became angry with myself for wanting something I never thought I would ever want, until it was denied me."

  "Is anger all you feel?"

  "No,I am no longer angry. I mourned something I would never be."

  "I understand exactly what you feel.  Before you say I have no way to know that, let me explain.  Before Kate was born, I suffered a miscarriage.  Then Kate was born.  When she was four, I had another miscarriage.  Both were boys.  I mourned the loss of those two babies even though I never had the opportunity to hold them.  What you are feeling is no different from what I felt then. So I can honestly say I know exactly. Kate was never told of either loss.  The doctors ran all sorts of tests.  What they found was, medically I would never be able to deliver a son.  There was something in me, in my body that treated a son as a virus and after a few months expelled it.  That is one of the reasons there are so many years between you and Kate.  When I became pregnant with you, I worried constantly until we found out you were a girl.  We never told anyone."

  "Mom, I never realized."

  "I wanted to spare you the pain.  To be perfectly honest, I want to believe I would have told you if ..."

  "If I had married a man?"

  "Yes.  I was afraid you would blame me.  Heaven knows I certainly did.  Who knows, maybe the worrying I did those first few developmental months were the reason?  Now my one hope is that someday you will find it in your heart to forgive me."

  "You do not have to wait for someday mom.  I do forgive you.  Thank you for telling me about the babies you lost."  She took a breath.

  Anya did not say a word as she watched the two come together.  Patricia opened her arms.  Kacey readily laid her head on Patricia's shoulder.  She rubbed Kacey's back the same way Anya had earlier.

-----------------------------------

  Natalia could not relax.  She picked the children up from Day Care and went to her in-law's while Anya and Kacey talked.  The longer she was there, the more agitated she became.  The tension lessened slightly after Kacey's call to Patricia.

  "Lass ye need to relax.  The longer it takes, the better it will be for both of them."



  "I hope that Anya was able to get through to Kacey.  She can be very stubborn at times."

  Liam laughed.  "That tis an understatement.  If anyone can get Kacey to talk it would be Anya.  With anyone else, she will just argue or walk away and not say anything.  She never did that with Anya."

  "That is so true."  Natalia laughed in spite of her nerves.  "I have seen Kacey cry only once since I met her.  She will hold that inside.  With anger, she will exercise it away, but sorrow, nothing."

  "She was always like that.  Even as a child and she got hurt, she would rarely cry.  There were two times in her life when she did let go.  The first time was when Katie left for the Space Academy.  She was ten.  She cried for days before Katie left.  Almost made her decide not to leave.  The other time was when her dog, Bear died.  She insisted on burying his ashes herself.  Patsy and I watched from the house.  She dug the hole and then sat on the ground holding the container of ashes and cried.  If we would have been with her as we wanted to, she would have held it all in.  She would have carried the pain of his death inside."

  "How old was she then?"

  "It was after Katie left so she was maybe eleven.  That is the last time I can remember ever seeing her cry."

  Her communicator chirped.  "Natalia it is safe to come to your quarters.  Bring Liam with you."

  "That sounds like everything is good."  Natalia said.  "We will be there shortly."  Natalia picked up the toys their grandparents kept for when they visited.  The twins held the baby's hands as they walked the short distance home.  She put in the code to open their door.  Caitlyn ran in as soon as the door opened.
  "Gamma."  She yelled as soon as she spied Patricia.  "Cookie."

  "Not until you have your dinner young lady."  Patricia stated as she knelt down and held open her arms.

  "Where is Kacey?"  Natalia asked.

  "She is slapping some cold water on her face.  She will be out shortly."  Anya answered then continued softly.  "It was a very emotional afternoon and she will probably need a little extra TLC tonight."

  "I understand.  Anya you have done it again.  I do not know how I will ever thank you or repay you for what you did."

  "Do not worry little sister.  That is what families are for.  Kate just called.  She is changing her clothes and will be over.  Patricia has something to tell her and you.  She has decided that there will be no more secrets."

  "She has another one?"

  "Nothing that has to do with any of us, but she told Kacey to make her understand that she really does know what she is feeling.  It worked.  Kacey allowed Patricia to offer comfort."

  "Wow."  Kacey walked out of the bedroom and put her arms around Natalia.  "How are you feeling?"

  "Better.  Much better.  Talia, thank you for sending Anya over.  You did the right thing."  She said softly and kissed the top of Natalia's head.

 

    Andromeda pushed on through the stars as they headed toward home.  Kacey and Natalia lay together as they watched the stars whiz by their bedroom windows.  Kacey traced small circles on Natalia's back.  Natalia lifted her head and rested her chin on her fist that rested on Kacey's chest.

  "I was just thinking.  I do not want to wait until we get back to Earth to try to have another child."  Kacey laughed shaking Natalia's head where it rested on her chest.  "What is so funny?"

  "I was laying here thinking the same thing."  Kacey stated. "Do you want to go for a single this time or another multiple?"

  "What are your thoughts?" Natalia asked.

  "A single would be one hell of a lot easier on you.  To be truthful it would also be easier on me.  But for you, there would be no shots to raise havoc with your hormones."

  "True, but nature could have other plans for us and still give us more than one baby.  I remember the look on you face when the doctor said there could be more than two."

  "Yeah you are right.  I did get really spooked.  When do you want to make the appointment?"

  "I have one for the day after tomorrow at fourteen hundred hours.  Can you come with me?"

  "Nothing would or could keep me away, sweetheart." 

  Natalia turned over so that she rested on her stomach with her head resting on her hands.  She had a very clear view of Kacey's blue eyes.  "Would you like to hear what I have noticed?"

  "That depends."  Kacey answered suspiciously.  "Is it good or bad?"

  "Oh it is good.  In fact very good."

  "All right, what have you noticed?"

  "I have noticed that you get this narrow band of dark blue around the lighter blue of you eyes when you are aroused."

  "Do I really?"

  "Uh huh, you do."  Natalia moved to capture Kacey's lips.  Her tongue touched the lips under hers.  Lips that readily parted.  For several heartbeats, their tongues danced with each other until they were breathless.  Natalia moved to straddle Kacey's slim hips.  She sat up.  Natalia slowly undid the buttons of her silken pajama top.  She watched the glimmer of appreciation dance in Kacey's eyes.  Even in the lower light she could see that the dark blue band was even darker.  She leaned down to capture Kacey's lips again, while her hands massaged Kacey's breast through the ragged tee shirt she used for sleeping.  She felt the nipples harden against her palms.  She felt Kacey's hands cover her own breasts and felt them respond to her touch.  She grasped the bottom of the ragged shirt and pushed it up exposing Kacey's breasts.

  Kacey arched her back to allow Natalia to move the shirt higher.  She raised her hands above her head so that Natalia could removed the shirt completely.  It was tossed somewhere behind Natalia's head.  Her own followed quickly after. Natalia leaned back down and took the softening tip in her mouth.  The nipple hardened quickly as she flicked it with her tongue.  Her fingers found the other nipple and pinched and rolled the tip between her fingers.  She switched breasts.  Alternating between gentle nips and licks as Kacey moaned with the sensations.

  Natalia wiggled her bottom against Kacey's firm hips and felt Kacey lift her hips to strengthen the contact.  Natalia continued the assault on the breast below her.  Nipping, twisting, and pinching the tips that were becoming very sensitive.  Kacey moaned again.

  "I love the sounds you make when aroused.  Let's see if I can make them continue or even elicit different sounds."  Natalia released the breasts and moved off Kacey's hips.  She slipped her fingers under the waist band of the ragged  shorts Kacey wore to bed.  Kacey lifted her hips to allow Natalia to pull the shorts off.  The shorts followed their shirts somewhere on the floor.  Natalia removed the bottoms she wore and climbed back on to sit on Kacey's hips.  She continued her assault on Kacey's breasts with nips, licks and pinches as she wiggled her bottom against Kacey.  When she felt Kacey raise her hips, Natalia lifted up breaking their contact.  Kacey moaned at the loss of contact.  A savage pinch to her sensitive nipples brought her attention back to the loving assault on her breasts.
Natalia lay on Kacey chest,  as she captured her lips.  Kacey gasped in Natalia's mouth at the added pressure.  Natalia's tongue forcefully entered Kacey's mouth.  She moved one of her legs and forced Kacey's legs to open.  Natalia pressed her thigh against Kacey's center as she continued to assault her mouth.  Natalia's hands wandered back to the  Kacey's breasts which caused her to moan again.  Natalia felt the flood of wetness against her leg and pressed harder.  Natalia raised her self up.  "Open your eyes."  She demanded.  Kacey opened her eyes.  Natalia looked intently at them.  "Almost ready."  She said and continued the loving assault.  She covered one of the nipples with her mouth.  Her fingers pinched the other nipple making Kacey take a sharp breath.  The blue eyes closed again.  "No keep you eyes open."  Natalia ordered.  She moved her leg against Kacey's as the moisture increased.  Kacey lost control of her lower body and tried to maintain more contact with Natalia's leg.  Natalia abruptly moved her leg away.  Kacey groaned at the loss.  Natalia climbed off Kacey and spread the long tanned legs.  With one hand she opened the moist inner lips to expose the treasure hidden within.  She ran a finger through the copious moisture and circled the hard nub without touching it.  She repeated the motion several times.  She felt Kacey shift to bring her clit in to contact with Natalia's finger.  Natalia moved her finger away and quickly entered into Kacey center.  She moved her fingers inside the smooth walls.  She withdrew almost all the way out and quickly reentered.  Adding a third finger she reentered quickly .  Natalia blew across the reddened bundle of nerves making Kacey jump.  Natalia continued to tease Kacey until she felt Kacey had taken as much as she could.  Natalia leaned down and licked the overly sensitive pearl which caused Kacey to lose all control of her hips.  Natalia increased the speed and pressure of her tongue.  Kacey was close to the edge as Natalia redoubled the speed of her tongue and fingers.  She felt the first spasms as with a cry, Kacey climaxed.  Natalia slowed her movements to allow Kacey to gain control of her breathing, when she returned to the task and sent Kacey over again.  Natalia slowed her movements again and stopped.  She withdrew her fingers and with a final lick laid her head on Kacey's hip and watched Kacey's breathing slow.    She kissed each reddened tip before she moved to put her head on Kacey's shoulder.

  Kacey held Natalia as she finally regained control of her breathing.  "You, love of my life are fantastic."

  "You say that every time."

  "What can I say?  You are fantastic every time.  As soon as I can find the top of my head I hope I can be just as fantastic."

  "Can I ask you a serious question?"

  "Of course."

  "Are you agreeing with my desire to have more children because that is what you truly want?  Or just because you want to make me happy?"

  "Honey, I would honestly love to have a houseful of children.  As many as possible."  Kacey stated as she flipped Natalia onto her back.

---------------------------

  Once the decision was made they spent the next few days discussing what they would do once their journey had ended.  Kacey told Natalia about the place that would be their home.

  "Right now the house has three bedrooms and one and a half bathroom upstairs.  Downstairs there is a large kitchen that I only used to make coffee or grab a quick bowl of corn flakes in the morning.  Lunch and dinner I usually ate at the Mess Hall on the base.  Unless mom called a family dinner which usually happened once a week.  Especially on Sundays.  She figured that was the one day we were all home.  There is also a large dining room and living room combination and a den slash office slash music room.  I have an exercise slash rec room in the basement."



  "The house sounds huge for just one person."  Natalia commented.

  "It was.  That is why I spent so many nights sleeping on the couch in my office so that I would not have to face going into an empty house.  You know it is funny.  My house just like my quarters are the biggest of the three."

  "I have wanted to ask you how you managed that?  Why didn't Kate as Captain have the larger quarters?"

  "Luck of the draw, literally.  Before the first tour of the ship was completed Kate, dad, Rhea and I drew cards to see who would get which quarters.  I drew the high card."

  "Well it is a good thing because that third bedroom has certainly come in handy."

  "Very true, Talia.  What do you think about this idea.  How about we take the children to Green Haven after their naps and your doctor's appointment?"

  "That is an excellent idea.  They will have a chance to run around.  They love going there."

  "Feel up to taking the rug rats with us?"

  "We can make it a family outing and have a picnic dinner there."

  "Good plan.  Our last picnic was on Athena and from what I remember I did not get a chance to enjoy too much of that one."

  "That was not my fault.  The children decided to use you for mattress duty."

  "Oh right and you had absolutely no part in that?"  Natalia shook her head no.  "I see.  Then who was it that was rubbing my head?  Somehow I do not think it was Kate or Anya."

  "Oh that?"

  "Yeah that."

  "That was me and you asked for it.  You were the one working yourself into exhaustion every day."

  "You knew the reason behind that."

  "Yes I do.  I also know the reason you told Kate was not the only reason."

  "I think my sanity at that point was reliant on my working those hours."

  "I understood it then as I do now.  So why exactly are we arguing about it now?"

  "Damned if I know."  Kacey laughed.  "I will send a message to Kate and mom inviting them."  She sat at the computer and typed the message.  "Sixteen hundred hours okay with you?"

  "Yes we should be done with the doctors by then.  Do you think your mom will be surprised that you are initiating a family get together?"

  "Keeps her on her toes.  I can not have her get to complacent."

  "You do that constantly already."

  "But you still love me anyway."  Kacey joked.

  "That I do Colonel."  Natalia put her arms around Kacey's neck and pulled her head down and kissed her.

------------

  Natalia sat on the foot of the hospital bed while Kacey held the twins and waited for the doctor to return.

  "The test results are good.  According to the chart you have been keeping, you are due for your monthly cycle.  After you start, return to taking your temp each morning until you next cycle.  Then the next month when your temp rises at ovulation we can do the insemination.  Do you want to use the same parameters?"

  "We have not discussed that yet."

  "Over the next month decide which you will go with.  We have both in supply.  The next question is are you thinking about another multiple?"  "We have decided on a single birth this time."  Natalia stated.

  "You both realize that even though only one egg is release, a multiple is still possible."

  "We understand that Doc."  Kacey stated.  "What are the chances we will get lucky on the first time again?"

  "Actually the odds are slightly better the second time seeing as Natalia has already given birth.  If you want an actual number, the chances increase from forty percent to sixty percent."

  "Why do we need to wait that extra month?"

  "To make sure the rise in temperature is not due to an infection.  We could try insemination then if you want."

  "Would it improve the chances?"

  "No but it would be a lot easier on the Colonel's nerves."

  "Can we try it?"

  "Certainly Natalia.  If you have no further questions, I will expect your call in a couple weeks."

  The doctor left.  Natalia jumped off the bed.  "Let's get our picnic ready to go."  Natalia ordered.  "We can fill you family in on our plans."


------------------------

  Kacey walked through the corridor which given the early hour was empty.  It was two hours before the start of her shift and she wanted to get some paper work done before her scheduled flight.  Taking the past few days off put her behind in her daily reports, she felt the need to get an early start.  If she really wanted to admit it, she wanted to shake up the Gamma shift with an impromptu inspection.  As she walked she became aware of a rancid smell.  The closer she got to the Hanger, the stronger the smell became.  "I wonder when they changed the filters in the trash recycler last."  She thought.  "I have to remember to tell Kate them need to be changed.

  A noise behind her caught her attention.  Before she could turn, a blow caused her to slam into the bulk head on the opposite side of the corridor.  The force opened a large gash on her cheek.  She slid to the floor unconscious.

  She was dragged out of sight and thrown into an access tube after her hands and feet were tied with flex cuffs and tape was placed over her mouth.

  "Make sure she is alive."  The gruff voice said.  "We don't want a murder charge."

  A hand felt the pulse point in Kacey's neck.  "Yeah she's alive.  Let's get her out of sight so that I can get back to my new quarters.  Remember when they start searching make sure no one looks in here."

  "Yeah, yeah I know.  How do you plan to get the other one?"

  "You let me worry about that.  Take off her communicator and lock that hatch."

  The hatch slammed shut.  The dim interior lights shone down on Kacey's unconscious form.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page