The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


  "Report." Kate ordered as she walked into her Ready Room. "Did you find anything on the video?"

"We did. From the hours of zero five thirty three hours to zero six thirty hours, the Brig surveillance camera was manually shut off by Lieutenant Adrian Jessup."

"Jessup again." Kate sighed.

"Kate?"

"Lieutenant J.G. Adrian Jessup is a friend of former Ensign Albert Devoe. According to the video he was on Brig duty last night." Kate touched her communicator. "Commander Rhea Torino report to the Ready Room."

"On my way Captain."

"Captain Jensen to Commander O'Malley."

"Aye Katie."

"Where are you?"

"On my way to lower level three."

"Belay that and return to the Ready room."

"Aye on my way."

Kate looked at her watch. "Eleven hours," she said.

"What was that Kate?" Anya asked.

"The last time anyone has seen Kacey was eleven hours ago." Natalia answered.

"Natalia we will find her." Natalia covered her face with her hands.

"Anya would you take Natalia back to their quarters?"

"No I want to stay." Natalia argued.

Kate placed her hands on the younger woman's shoulders. "Go be with your children. Natalia, you and Anya found the one piece that ties all this together. Please go back to your quarters. I will contact you the second I have any news. I promise you."

"Come on Natalia." Anya stated and gently pulled on Natalia's arm. She hesitated briefly then let Anya pull her from the room, as Rhea and Liam walked in.

"Rhea tell me about Lieutenant J.G. Adrian Jessup."

"Quiet, yet ambitious, a steady worker. Why?"

"At zero five thirty three hours this morning, Jessup turned off the surveillance cameras in the Brig. The cameras did not come back on until zero six thirty hours."

"He was on Brig duty last night and according to my logs, that has been his duty for the last two weeks. This morning he came off duty and volunteered to help with the search. Computer how many times during the last two weeks has the Brig cameras been turned off?"

"Ten times." The computer replied.

"Ten times.. One for every shift he worked in the last two weeks. They have been planning this for at least two weeks. He searched for two hours then I had him get some sack time."

"We were at his quarters and he was not there." Kate stated. "Computer locate Adrian Jessup."

"Lieutenant Adrian Jessup is not aboard Andromeda at this time."

"GOD DAMN IT." Kate swore loudly. "IF THAT BASTARD HAS HURT HER IN ANY WAY I WILL TEAR HIS HEAD FROM HIS BODY WITH MY BARE HANDS AND THROW HIS WORTHLESS CARCASS OUT AN AIRLOCK." Kate started for the door and stopped suddenly when Liam grabbed her arm.

"Katie, ye stop that talk immediately." He ordered. "Ye will not be doing Kacey any good by going off half cocked." He pushed her toward the chair. "Ye sit down and cool off." He went to the replicator. "Coffee black, brandy neat." The drinks materialized. He poured the brandy into the coffee and handed it to Kate. "Drink." He ordered.

Kate was Captain, but she could not force herself to disobey the man who raised her. She took a sip of the spiked coffee and closed her eyes at the familiar burn. "Thanks dad." She said softly and took another drink.. With her free hand she pinched the bridge of her nose between her thumb and index finger as the headache started. "Where can she be Dad?"

"That is something I am not knowing, but we will be finding her." Liam stated. "Knowing your sister, she will be mad as a banshee that it took us so long to find her."

"Kate I just put out a ship wide alert on his communicator and have the computer running a bot on his skeleton. We will know where he is the second it appears. Rhea informed them.

------------------------------------

The headache was back in full force along with nausea. Kacey tried to keep her breathing slow in order to keep the water she drank in her stomach. It was very warm in the access tube, yet she felt a shiver go through her. She laid her head back against the wall and closed her eyes in hopes of easing the pounding in her head and the upset stomach.

She spied her communicator laying meters away, just before the darkness took over. Her confused mind did not fully register what she saw, as she slumped to the deck of the tube.

---------------------------

The Ready Room became the headquarters and the stepping off point for all the search teams. The hours passed agonizingly slow. The alerts on Kacey's and Jessup's communicators and skeletal matches had turned up nothing so far. Kate sat behind her desk with her head in her hands. Periodically she would glance at the computer screen to note the time. The bots they had running blinked slowly in the corner of the screen. She went back to resting her head in her hands. She sent Liam and Rhea to their quarters to get some rest. Eighteen hours had elapsed since Kacey was last seen.

Her head shot up as the thought hit her. She pulled up Rhea's notes on which sections had been searched and by whom. Kate grabbed the phasic pistol that rested under her desk and headed out the door hitting her communicator as she went. "Rhea?" She waited for an answer before she called again. "Rhea?"

"Kate did something happen?" Rhea responded with a voice heavy from sleep.

"I think I know where Kacey is. I am heading there now."

"Kate wait for me." Rhea ordered.

"No time. Meet me there."

"Where. Kate where do you want me to meet you?"

"Lower level three section A. The first section Jessup supposedly searched."

"At least wait for backup." Rhea ordered. Kate could hear the rustle of clothing as Rhea got dressed. "I am heading out the door now."

Kate entered the lift. "Engineering." The lift opened. Kate ran down the corridor towards Engineering. She stopped at the access tube and tried to open the door. The first code she tried did not work, neither did the second or third. "Computer use Captain's privilege to override the lock on Access Tube three A hatch."

"Lock override complete." The hatched clicked as Rhea joined Kate. The light entered the tube. Kate first noticed the discarded communicator. She picked up Kacey's communicator and put it in her pocket before she entered the tube. Rhea entered right behind her. Fifteen meters in, she found Kacey. Kate did a quick check for a pulse. Rhea backed out of the tube and called for medical assistance.

"Commander Torino to Sick Bay."

"Sick Bay Doctor Blue."

"Doctor, medical assistance is needed on lower level three by Engineering. Bring a stretcher."

"We are on our way Commander."

Kate searched Kacey's pockets. "I know you always carry a knife. Where is it?" Kate became aware of the ammonia smell and the wet trousers. "Damn Kacey, I am so sorry it took us so long to find you." Kate pulled out the knife and cut the flex cuffs away from her hands and feet. Kacey stirred and moaned.

Her eyes opened. "Kate?" She whispered. "Please do not let anyone see me like this. Help me back to my quarters to change."

"Sorry Medical help is already on the way. You need to be in Sick Bay."

"Please not like this. Let me go change and I will go get checked out. Please Kate. Help me back to my quarters."

"I am sorry but the Doctor is on his way." Kate There is nothing to be ashamed of."

"Please Kate, not like..." Rhea entered the tube followed by the Doctor. Kacey groaned and blushed. "Oh no." She closed her eyes.

"Colonel I need you to open your eyes for me." Doctor Blue stated. The eyes opened. He shown a light in each eye as he checked for pupil reaction. He felt the skin around the gash on her face. "I do not feel anything broken." Kacey buried her face in Kate's shirt to not face anyone to hide her embarrassment. "Is there any other areas that hurt?"

"My neck and shoulders." She mumbled without raising her head.

He felt her neck and shoulders. Still not feeling any breaks, but we will do a scan to make sure. Pass that back board in here." He ordered.

"Doctor before we move her can we remove her trousers as they are... um..."

"Of course Captain. Pass that sheet in with the back board." Rhea untied Kacey's boots and removed them as Kate undid the belt buckle, clasp and lowered the zipper Doctor Blue opened the sheet and covered Kacey as Rhea reached up and removed Kacey's trousers and underwear. Try not to shake her spine too much." Rhea backed out of the tube with the soiled clothes and headed into engineering where she placed the clothes in a bag. When she returned to the tube, Kacey was strapped to the backboard. Between the three of them they moved Kacey out of the tube and onto the stretcher. "Captain I will do a scan of her head, neck and shoulders. Would you get Mrs. O'Malley?"

"Certainly. Rhea would you set up a security detail to watch her while she is in Sick Bay?"

"Of course I will. I will get the Marines to help." Rhea stated and returned to the tube to pick up the water bottle.

Kate took the bag from Rhea and headed to Kacey's quarters. She used her override instead of ringing the chime because of the lateness of the hour.

Patricia sat at the table and looked up as the door opened. She met Kate in the living room. "Is there any news?" She asked softly.

"We found her. She is in Sick Bay. I came to get Natalia."

"She finally fell asleep about an hour ago. I sent Anya back to your quarters to get some rest. Your girls are asleep in the spare room."

"Thanks mom. You should get some rest also."


I will rest shortly, Kate. Go get Natalia. What is in the bag?"

"Kacey's soiled clothes."

"I will take care of these." She took the bag from Kate.

Kate kissed Patricia's cheek and went into the bedroom where she gently shook Natalia.

The green eyes flew open. "Kate did you find her?"

"Yes, she is in Sick Bay. I came to bring you down there."

"Where did you find her?"

"In an access tube by Engineering.."

Natalia grabbed clothes and went into the bathroom to dress. Kate went back into the living room.

"Kate how was Kacey really? How did you find her?"

"A real lucky guess, mom. I thought about rechecking an area and found her. She has a lump on the back of her head and a cut on her cheek. She was more worried about anyone finding out she lost control of her..."

"I understand. Kate promise me you will not tease her about this." Patricia demanded.

"She was so embarrassed, I promise, mom."


Natalia came out of the bedroom. "Patricia thank you for being here and taking care of the children."

"That is what grandmothers are for, Natalia. Go be with Kacey. I will send Anya down later.

Kate and Natalia left. It did not take them long to enter the waiting room in Sick Bay where a nurse waited for them.

"Mrs. O'Malley, Captain, Colonel O'Malley is getting a full scan to make sure there are no hidden damages from the blows she received. She will be out shortly. Doctor Blue asked me to take you right to her room to wait.

"Thank you Maria." Kate stated. "You look like you are about ready to have that baby."

"Two weeks more. Ronnie is driving me crazy. Each little twinge and she is ready to call the Doctor."

"Must be a service thing. Kacey was the same way." Natalia stated with a smile of understanding. "From what I was told, so was a certain Captain that we all know and love."

"I have absolutely no idea who you are talking about." Kate said with a hint of indignation.

"They will bring Kacey here shortly." The nurse left them alone.

"Kate tell me everything. How did you find her?"

"It really was a lucky guess. I was in my Ready Room, watching the computer bots we had running on Kacey's and Jessup 's communicators and skeletal matches. When the thought hit me. With Jessup being part of this, what sort of guarantees did we have that he actually searched the areas he said he did. Then I rechecked Rhea's logs and I knew or rather I hoped I knew where she was. I contacted Rhea and she met me by the access tube near Engineering. I could not unlock the hatch and had used Captain's privilege to override the lock. "

"You went alone?"

"I called Rhea to meet me there" Kate defended her actions. "After I got the hatch opened, I found Kacey's communicator and knew we were in the right place. Kacey was bound with flex cuffs in the tube. I knew she always carries a knife so I searched her pockets and found that, um, well that she had. She was stuck in that tube for over eighteen hours, with no way to get out, she..."

"Kate I understand. Will you do me a favor and not tease her about that?"

"She was so embarrassed. I will not tease her. You have my word on that."

"The medical team wheeled Kacey into the room. Doctor Blue came in. "Colonel, you have a slight concussion. You were lucky that nothing was broken. You do however have a bruised cheekbone. We cleaned the cut and healed it. Several of your vertebrae are also bruised. We will keep you here for a day or two. I imagine you are feeling like the turd end of a water buffalo right now. I cannot give you anything right now for the pain, but I can give you something for the nausea. Drink as much water as you want and can tolerate and we will not have to resort to an I.V." He stated. "Please do not try to get out of bed unaided for your own safety. We will be checking on you throughout the night."

"Been there done that Doc did not like it one little bit."

"We have been through this before with her Doctor." Kate said.

"Then you know she will fade in and out for at least the first day. So do not panic if she falls asleep mid sentence."

"Talia?"

"What can I do for you sweetheart?"

"Please do not worry."

"Sorry, but it come with the territory. Do you have any idea how you ended up in that access tube?"

"Uh no." Her eyes closed then opened. "I am so tired Talia."

Her eyes closed again. "She will be out for a time. Go get some rest. We will let you know when she wakes up."

"The doctor is right, Natalia. I think we both should get some rest."

"I will not leave her alone. Not after the attack. What if he tries again? No, I will not leave her."

"She will not be alone, Natalia." Rhea said from the door. "Mike and I have set up a security detail to watch over her while she is here. We have the first watch. Someone will be outside the door at all times. You both need to rest."

"Kate no one will get past us to hurt her again." Mike said emphatically.

"All right Mike." Kate stated

Natalia stood on tiptoes and kissed his cheek. "Thank you for being her friend and watching over her." She went to Rhea. "Thank you also for taking care of her."

"Listen, kiddo, I have known Kacey her whole life. She is like a little sister to me also. We will protect her. Go get some rest."

"Okay. Give me a minute." Natalia lowered the rail and leaned over to kiss Kacey. "Sweetheart, Rhea and Mike will be right outside the door taking care of you until I return. I love you." She raised the rail and left the room.

Rhea and Mike stood outside the door watching, protecting their friend.

------------------------------

Jessup left his hiding place in search of food. By staying inside the access tubes he could travel from section to section without detection. He had not been able to go back to the Brig to tell Devoe that their plan had fallen apart. Unless another guard told him, he would be in the dark about Kacey being found. Their plan to put both officers out of action, had been scuttled. All he could do now is hope to avoid detection and avoid a court martial. If he was caught, one would definitely be in his future.


He had a ready water supply and raided the storage areas for food supplies. After filling several bags with food, he crawled back through the tubes to his hiding area. Jessup was able to open one of the inside hatches to the top of the access tubes. His hiding area was five meters by about ten meters. He stuffed his supplies into one end and made a sleeping area on the other end. With the Alpha shift about to start, he would catch up on the sleep he lost the night before. Maybe just maybe he could come up with the next plan. He thought and fell asleep.


Kacey was still sleeping when Kate walked into the room. Natalia was already next to the bed.

"Did you get any sleep?" She asked Natalia.

"I did. I was even able to talk Patricia into going back to their quarters for a few hours. She came back around six hundred hours."

"She wonders where Kacey and I get our stubbornness from."

"The doctor was here when I arrived. Doctor Blue turned the case over to Doctor McCloud. He said Kacey had a good night. They woke her several times and she was lucid each time. Except for the nausea and a slight fever she was good. They will be able to give her pain meds in a few hours."

"What is the fever from?"

"He said that it is not one of the common symptoms of a concussion. It is not one that happens all that frequently, but will show up once in awhile. Kate how long will we be stopped?"

"I am hoping we will find this son of a bitch today. I want every available member of the crew going through every crack, crevasses and shadow looking for him. He can not hide forever."

"My hope is that when he is found it is by one of your crew and not by the Marines. They will probably kill him on sight."

"They are extremely loyal to Kacey and I do not think I would be able to put them on trial for murder, because I feel the same way." Kate stated. "Even Anya who is the most even tempered person I know, wants a piece of him."

"It is so senseless, Kate. Why her?"

"I have no clue as to his reasons." Kacey moaned as she started to wake up. She licked her lips. Natalia placed a straw into a fresh glass of water and offered it to Kacey. She drank greedily. "Easy, you do not want it to come right back up." Kate told her.

The blue eyes opened. "Kate?"

"I am right here little sister. How are you feeling?"

"Like shit." She replied. "Kate how did you find me?"

"It is a long story for when you are more alert. The bottom line is it was a lucky guess."

"I owe you." Kacey's eyes closed as she drifted back to sleep.

Kate sat next to Natalia and took her free hand in her own as they sat yet another vigil.

"I meant to ask you the other day. How did you make out at the doctors?"

"We decided not to wait until we were home to at least start the process to have another child."

"A single or another multiple?"

"We decided a single this time, but if we are blessed with more than one, that will be all right also. Kacey did not want me to have to take those drugs again."

"I realized they have improved since Anya took them, but there were still some nasty side effects."

"I did not like the person I was at times either, but Kacey overlooked all my outbursts."

"She loves you vey much, Natalia. You know she once told me that she hoped she would find the type of love Anya and I have. The type that is so intense she could see it. I am happy to say she found that love with you."

"Aww, I think we are both very lucky, Kate."

"I am telling you the truth. Her first love is an everlasting love. People can go all their lives and never experience a love of this depth. The fact that she found it the first time she risked giving her heart to another proves just how strong your love is."

"Did you have that same sort of luck?"

"No, I did not meet Anya socially until our third year. I had seen her around campus periodically. We had very few classes together so we did not interact all that much. When we were at the academy, Rhea, Bella and I liked to party. We were all excellent students, who studied hard and played just as hard. Then one night, Bella brought this tall cool beautiful blonde to the latest party we were at and introduced us. I looked into those fantastic blue eyes and, wow, I was gone. That was the last party I attended until graduation."

"Kacey started to tell me that story once, but never finished it. Why did you stop partying?"

"Anya did not like the noisy party scene."

"Otherwise Kate would still be out there partying." Kacey stated.


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page