The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


Kacey sat up in bed. Her blue eyes glassy and unfocused with the fever. She fought the blankets that covered her as she struggled to leave the bed. The more she struggled the more she was tangled. The I.V. was pulled out of her hand by her struggles to be free. Natalia put her hands on Kacey's shoulders to calm her down. Liam left to get the doctor. Kate went to the other side of the bed and put pressure on the puncture the needle left. Blood oozed out of the puncture. Kacey shook her off.

"KATE IS IN DANGER. HAVE TO WARN HER." She shouted as she fought off the hands that attempted to hold her down.

"Kacey, sweetheart, Kate is safe. Please relax, you are very sick." Natalia tried to soothe her spouse.

"YOU LIE." Kacey yelled. "HAVE TO SAVE KATE." She threw off the hands on her shoulders.

"Kacey, I am right here." Kate said softly. "You pulled the I.V. out of your hand and it is bleeding. You are going to hurt yourself if you do not relax."

Doctor McCloud came into the room followed closely by Patricia. Liam moved Natalia out of the way and placed his hands on Kacey's shoulders to keep her in bed.

"Get me ten milligrams of dimizine." Doctor McCloud ordered. The nurse hurried from the room and returned within seconds with the medicine which she handed to the doctor. Doctor McCloud quickly injected the sedative into Kacey's arm. Kacey continued to fight against the hands that held her for several minutes, almost throwing them off before the sedative started to work. Her struggles lessened and after a tense few minutes, stopped. Liam did not release his hold on her until the doctor confirmed, "she is asleep." She replaced the I.V. into Kacey's vein. "We have to find out what is behind this fever." Doctor McCloud stated. "Unless we can get that fever down, these bouts of delirium will continue and quite possibly get worse." She looked at Natalia. "Natalia, what I am about to suggest is for Kacey's own safety. Until we can find a way to get her fever down, I suggest that she be restrained."

"Is that really necessary?" Natalia asked.

"For her own safety, yes. Her body is fighting off the sedation. With what we gave her earlier, she should have been out for another two hours at the very least. As strong as she is, it took several people just to keep her in bed."

Natalia looked around the room at her in-laws and stopped at Kate. "What should I do?"

"These restraints that you mentioned Doctor, they are not flex cuffs are they?"

"Absolutely not. They are padded cloth that wrap around each wrist and forearm. She would have limited motion. To use them, I need to have her family's permission. Natalia for her own safety, that decision rests with you."

"Doctor, how close are you to finding what is making her so ill?" Kate asked.

"We are still running tests, but Captain, even if we discover what it is in the next second, we still have to develop a drug to counteract what she was given. So far we have not been able to find out what was in that water bottle. It is something we have not seen before."

"Thank you for your honesty. Natalia, I think you should give her permission."

"Lass, Kacey is physically strong., It was all I could do to hold her down. Let the doctor do what needs to be done." Liam stated softly.

Natalia was silent as tears filled her eyes. Patricia went to her side and knelt on the floor. "Natalia, she is liable to hurt herself or someone else unless she is protected from her own strength."

"All right, Doctor, you have my permission." Natalia said softly and stood up to leave the room. She stopped in the doorway and started to cry. Patricia went to her side and pulled her into an embrace.

"What is it?"

"It was almost like she did not recognize me."

"I know, Natalia. Maybe she did not. She is very sick and in a dark place right now. She may even think she is still in that access tube. Once her fever is down, she will be back to the Kacey we all know and love."

"What if they can not find the cause of the fever?"

"I have every confidence in the medical staff."

The nurse returned and handed the restraints to the Doctor. Natalia paled as she looked at the bindings.

"Mom would you take Natalia out of the room. Neither of you should see her being tied down." Kate stated.

"You should go with them Katie." Liam stated. "I will stay."

Kate went to refuse but the look in Liam's eyes said volumes. She nodded and they left the room. The doctor closed the door. Rhea met them carrying tea for Patricia and Natalia and coffee for Kate. She pulled Kate away from them to talk softly.

"Kate, I have been thinking. What if this virus or whatever the fuck it is, is not something our Doctors are familiar with?"

"Do you think this is a foreign virus?"

"Yes I realize this sounds like a wild ass theory, but consider this for a minute. Suppose, just suppose that Jessup struck up a friendship with the Vidag. Then suppose he talked about, oh hell, say he wanted to make someone sick, not sick enough to die, but..."

"He is not a medical person." Kate interrupted.

"He does not have to be. I told you this was a wild ass theory, Kate."

"Continue."

"Say he gave one of the Vidag a sob story about loving someone and that person barely knew who he was. He was looking for a way to impress this person, to ride to the rescue and be the big hero. That person would be in his debt and be impressed enough to enter into a relationship."

"That sounds like the plot of a very bad 'B' movie. But if he were to be able to ride to the rescue, that means he would have to possess the antidote."

"Correct, and something that valuable would be hidden away in a safe place."

"That theory may not be as wild as you think, Rhea." Kate stated and pressed her communicator. "Colonel Anderson report to Sick Bay."

"On my way, Captain."

"Are you planning on having him search Jessup's quarters?"

"More than that. If he does have the antidote, it could be anywhere."

Mike entered Sick Bay. "Captain how is Kacey?"

"Not good Mike. Her fever is still going up and she is delirious."

"Damn. What do you need me to do?"

"I need you to tear apart Jessup's quarters. Take everything apart. Walls. ceiling, rip up the carpet, everything. Rhea has a theory that this might be a foreign virus and that he has the antidote hidden somewhere safe. I have no idea what it would even look like."

"We will get it done Captain. What about Devoe's cell. If they were working together, it could be hidden there."

"That is a good point, Mike. Put someone you trust completely searching his cell. Check his clothing. Hell strip search him if you have to. Move him to a different cell and tear his cell apart. If you have to do that to all the cells in the Brig, do it."

"I know just the people to put on that Captain. I will keep you informed on what we find."

"Thank you Mike."

"Kacey is not only our commanding officer, she is our friend." Mike stated and left Sick Bay, calling for several people to meet him.

Kate looked at Rhea. "How is Bella taking your being unable to leave Sick Bay?"

"It helps that we are not under full quarantine and that she can come here. But she is very angry and determined to locate that, as she put it, "that rock fucking pig bastard son of a bitch". Kate had to laugh. "My Bella can be very colorful."

"Rock fucking?"

"That might not be exactly what she said. My Italian is a little rusty."

"What is going on?" Patricia asked.

"Rhea had an idea." Kate proceeded to tell Patricia what Rhea had said ending with, Mike is having some Marines tear apart Jessup's quarters and the cells in the Brig."


"What ever made you think of that?"

"It was just a wild idea, Patricia. It just popped into my head."

"Wild yes, but a good one, Rhea. Tell me have you been taking lessons from Kacey on how not to take credit for ideas and actions?" Kate asked.

The door to Kacey's room opened. Doctor McCloud and Liam walked out together. He walked to Patricia and had tears in his eyes.

"That was one of the hardest things I have ever done in me life Patsy." He said and put his arms around his wife.

"Natalia, Kacey's temperature has now risen to dangerous levels. The antibiotics we are giving her are not touching the infection or what ever is causing the fever. I am going to try ice blankets now in addition to the antibiotics. It may not take down the fever, but may keep it from rising any higher."

"You do what you have to Doctor." Natalia stated. "Is it all right if I go back and sit with her?"

"Right now, no. You, Commander O'Malley and Commander Jensen as free to leave Sick Bay. You should go get some rest and food for now."

"I have to be with her."

"No, you need to get out of here for a time. You did not come into contact with her soiled clothes. Unfortunately the others did, and will have to stay until we know for sure what we are dealing with and that they will not get sick."

"Liam take Natalia back to their quarters." Patricia stated. "Make sure you both rest and get something to eat."

"You should go also, Anya." Kate said and leaned against Anya.

"All right my Kate."

Liam took Natalia's hand. "Come lass, spend some time with your children."

She looked at Kate, who nodded. "All right, but can you just give me a minute?" She walked towards Kacey room before they could answer.

Mike and his hand picked crew dismantled Jessup's quarters, while another group of Marines worked to go through every cell in the Brig. Ceiling tiles were torn down, rugs were pulled up, furniture moved into the hall and the bulk heads removed searching for an antidote that no one was even positive existed. For several hours they tore apart the quarters. Throughout the day and well into the night they searched until the room and cells were completely gutted.

Mike leaned against the door frame discouraged that they were unable to find the antidote. He dreaded the idea of returning to Sick Bay and informing the Captain of their failure at a time when failure was not an option. His friend as well as his commanding officer's life depended on his finding the antidote if one existed.

He had not slept since the night before Kacey went missing. Two days were quickly turning into a third. With each passing hour, he knew Kacey slipped further away. The last report from Sick Bay said that the ice blankets and antibiotics were not working and the doctors decided that to save Kacey's organs from the ravages of the fever, she was placed on life support and into a medically induced coma.

Jessup continued to elude the searchers. Members of the crew crawled through every access tube and crawl space, as they went deck by deck to find the man responsible for the attack on one of the officers.

Mike closed his eyes and prayed to which ever deity was watching to aid their search. He was never a religious man, but there comes a time when a person has to turn to hope and prayer for assistance. He stood silently with his eyes closed and head bowed for several minutes. Those with him were silent and did not intrude on his reflection.

They knew how much rode on the success on this mission. Returning to Earth without their commander was unthinkable. Yet while they searched she fought for her life four decks away.

Mike took a deep breath and opened his eyes. His eyes fell on the only area they had not torn apart. They had looked closely at the mattress before looking for any small cuts but found none, so they moved it into the corridor out of their way. He pulled his knife from his pocket and plunged it into the mattress cover. He pulled the stuffing out of the mattress. Those with him joined in and within seconds the corridor was filled with pieces of the mattress. Mike reached into the hole he made and felt around . His hand closed on a small package that he pulled out.

-------------------

The lights in Sick Bay were lowered. The family gathered around Kacey's bed. The doctors had called them together to break the news that they were not successful in finding what caused the fever and without the cause they could not produce an antidote to save Kacey. Natalia, Kate and Patricia refused to leave her side. Anya and Liam brought the children down and they were all sleeping on beds in the main room. Natalia refused to let go of Kacey's hand during their vigil. Her tears flowed freely, and with Kate on one side and Patricia on the other, she felt lost and alone.

During the night the medical staff repeatedly checked the readouts of the machines before they silently left the room. Rhea stood outside the room and watched. Armed security stood guard around Sick Bay protecting the family. Time was running out. Doctor McCloud stood in the doorway dreading what she was about to say. Unless a cure was found and found soon, there was little chance Kacey would ever survive the fever. She turned when Bella ran into Sick Bay and signaled for Rhea to join her.

They talked softly for several minutes. Bella left Sick Bay after Rhea thanked her with a kiss. Rhea went to Kacey's room.

'Kate?" She called softly and waited until Kate turned to face the door. "Jessup has been found. I told Bella to make sure he was brought here."

"Is he still alive?"

"Yes, my security found him, not the Marines. He is bruised but alive."

"Has he said anything?" Kate asked and left Kacey's bedside as she walked into the larger room.

"Not a word."

"Hopefully that will change when he learns about the charges that are piling up against him."

The door to Sick Bay opened. A very bruised and battered Jessup was accompanied by four armed Security, a dozen armed and very angry Marines and an equally angry Bella.

"Doctor we need the use of one of the empty rooms." Kate stated.

"Certainly Captain. Use room one."

The guards man handled Jessup into the room. Kate intercepted the Marines before they entered the room. "Gentlemen, thank you for your assistance in finding Jessup. As much as I would like to let you have at him, Kacey may not have a lot of time left. I suggest you take a few minutes to pay your respects." The Marines saluted Kate and headed to Kacey's room. "Rhea would you and Bella go be with Natalia. This will be hard on her." Kate asked. Bella looked like she was about to argue when Kate added, "please." Bella's anger deflated and she nodded. She grasped Rhea's hand as they left Kate. "I would like to be alone with him." She said to the guards.

"Captain are you certain?"

"Yes. Gentlemen you will be right outside the door if I need help. He is not going anywhere." One of the guards opened the door for Kate. They turned so that they could watch through the windows. "Lieutenant please have a seat." Kate waited until he sat on the bed. "Why Lieutenant? Why Kacey? Has she done something to anger or hurt you?" Have you ever talked to her?" Jessup remained silent and look straight at Kate. "SAY SOMETHING LIEUTENANT. GOD DMAN IT SAY SOMETHING." Kate yelled in his face. He was defiantly silent. Kate stepped back as her hand itched to rip him apart. "Please tell me one thing. Is there an antidote to what ever you gave her? If there is where did you hide it?"

"That is two questions Captain." Jessup said with a smirk. Kate lost control and slapped him across the face. His head rocked back with the force of the slap. Blood ran from his split lip.

"Do you know the extent of the charges against you?" Jessup wiped the blood from his mouth on the shoulder of his uniform. "So far we have you on assault, imprisonment, kidnapping and attempted murder which can very well be upgraded to premeditated murder if Kacey dies. If that happens you will be executed by firing squad. Unless you tell me if there is an antidote and where it is hidden," a knock sounded. "WHAT?" Kate yelled. The door opened and Natalia walked in.

"Please Lieutenant Jessup, if you know anything about helping Kacey, please tell me. She is my love and we have two children who adore her. Please do not let her die. Our children need her. I need her. She is a good kind person who does not deserve what she is going through right now."

Jessup looked at her. "I have nothing to say."

Natalia held out a picture. "These are our children. They will be two years old in May. Please do not take their mommy away. Please."

He remained silent. Natalia collapsed crying in Kate's arms. She helped the younger woman from the room. The guards closed and locked the door.

Mike burst through the doors. "I HAVE IT," he yelled drawing the attention of everyone in Sick Bay. He handed the bottle to Doctor McCloud. "This was with it." He handed the paper to the Doctor. She read the paper.

"This is what we needed, Colonel. I will get it prepared." Doctor McCloud took the medicine towards the pharmacy area.

"Mike once again we are in your debt." Kate stated. "Come with us. You deserve to be with the family at this time."

Mike followed them. The Marines who helped bring Jessup in stood by silently outside Kacey's room. They stepped aside to let Kate, Natalia and Mike into the room. Anya and Liam stood up to allow them to sit. Natalia took hold of Kacey's hand as her tears continued to flow freely down her face. She lowered her head until it touched their joined hands. Kate rubbed her back and looked up at Anya.

"Did we hear correctly? Mike did you find the medicine?" Anya asked softly.

"I did. I am sorry it took so long to find."

"What is important is that you did find it. Thank you."

"Doctor McCloud has the medicine and instructions." Kate stated as she continued to rub Natalia's back. She did not lift her head and let their conversation flow around her.

"Doctor McCloud walked in with the prepared medicine. "Natalia?" She waited until Natalia raised her head. "This is an alien medicine. Do I have your permission to use it?"

"Yes, please save her." Natalia begged and lowered her head again onto their joined hands.

The Doctor injected the medicine into the port of the I.V.

"Now we wait." Patricia said.

"Yes, now we wait. According to the directions, I will administer another dose in four hours. This may take some time, so do not expect immediate results." She started for the door, stopped and caught Liam's eye. She motioned for him to join her outside the room. He left the room. They walked until they were out of ear shot of the others.

"What is it doctor that ye are not wanting to say in front of me wife and daughters?"

"Commander... Liam, the medicine may have come too late. Kacey has had a fever of one hundred six for two days. There may be some residual problems even if the serum works."

"Are ye talking about brain damage?"

"That is one of the possibilities, Liam. I will leave it up to you on how much you want to tell your family."

"Doctor, I would rather not be adding to their worries right now."

"I agree."

"There is something ye can be doing for Katie and Natalia. They have not left Kacey's side for almost two days. Neither will rest. Can ye be giving them something to help them rest?"

"I can. Give me a few minutes to get what I need."

"Thank ye, Doctor. I have to be telling ye that Katie may try to use an old trick of Kacey's. She may spit out the medication when no one is looking." Liam returned to the room. Doctor McCloud entered shortly after carrying a small tray with two small containers of pills and two glasses of water.

"Captain, Natalia, I would like you both to take these pills."

"What are they?" Kate asked.

"These are a mild sedative."

"I will pass." Kate stated.

"So will I." Natalia said, as she raised her head.

"You misunderstand me Captain. This is out of your hands. You either take this willingly or I will reinstitute the four hour maximum ruling. Neither of you has left this room for longer than a few minutes since before we put Kacey into the coma. I could have slipped you both a mickey or hit you with a hypo spray. I can still do that unless you voluntarily take these. It is your choice."

"I am still the Captain." Kate snapped.

"Yes you are, however I have the ability to relieve you of command due to extreme fatigue." The doctor snapped back. Defeated Kate accepted the pills and water. She took the pills while the doctor handed the second cup to Natalia, who hesitated before taking the pills. "In case you are waiting for me to leave and spit out the pills, I have already been advised of Kacey's favorite trick. I will remain until I know the pills have been dissolved. They have a taste that is very strong and unpleasant."


Kate threw a force ten glare at Patricia who only raised an eyebrow in return. She took a drink of water to wash down the pills that were dissolving in her mouth.

"Commander it seems that you are now in charge." Kate stated. Natalia silently lowered her head once again to their joined hands. Patricia was now the one who rubbed her back.

 

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page