The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


The crew put in long hours to lay down the large dance floor, and set up the tables for the party. Lights were set up around the ship. Large speakers were erected for the music once dinner was finished. Recorded music would be piped in to allow everyone a chance to enjoy the party. Close to Andromeda a large covered square was put up, hidden from view until the right time.. This was part of Kacey's surprise.

Once all the preparations were complete, Kacey headed to their quarters to shower and dress in her night formals. She let herself into their quarters. Natalia met her with a brandy. Their children played on the floor.

"Is everything ready?"

"Yes it looks really nice. The crew did a fantastic job getting everything set up, including the surprise."

"I put your notes on the dresser. Kate was over earlier and almost saw them."

"Thank you. I meant to put them away before I left, but was distracted by a fantastic vision of you in all your glory."

"Sure blame me." She joked. "I see how it is. Just because your libido goes into overdrive when you see a little skin..."

"A little skin? Babe you were doing one hell of a demonstration on how perfect your body is. I came very close to blowing off this party and keeping you in bed all day."

"Then you would have several people angry with you. Now before we get into something that will only be interrupted, hit the shower. Jordan will be here shortly." Kacey growled. "Do you think they suspect anything?"

"Seeing that their anniversary is tomorrow, they might. But on the other hand, seeing as they requested their anniversary be down played, maybe not. Mom said the girl's birthday party is all set for tomorrow." The door chimed. "That is Jordan. Hit the showers Colonel."

"Yes ma'am." Kacey answered. She kissed each of their children before she went into the bedroom, while Natalia opened the door.

Kacey showered and dressed in her night formals. She folded the cape over her arm. Picked up her hat, gloves and saber and walked into the living room. The medals gleamed on her tunic and tinkled against each other. She handed the Medal of Honor to Natalia and leaned down so that she could fastened the short ribbon around her neck."

:Hi Jordan, thank you for watching the children again."

"You are very welcome Colonel. I love watching them. What you pay me all goes into my college fund."

"Where are you thinking about applying and studying?"

"I am hoping to become a teacher after I do my mandatory service."

"You know if you attend any of the military universities, that counts as your mandatory service. They have general studies programs for those who want to become teachers. Let us know if you need any references."

"Thank you Colonel. I will have to give that some thought."

Kacey finished her drink. She picked up her saber and fastened it around her waist. Next she put the cape around her shoulders and clipped it on. Before she put on her hat and gloves, she bent down to kiss their children.

"You two be good for Jordan." She said and stood up to let Natalia kiss them also.

"Finish getting ready. We are due at your parents in five minutes." Kacey pulled her gloves on and brushed at a speck of dust that was invisible to everyone but herself. She adjusted her belt buckle before she placed her hat squarely on her head and offered her arm to Natalia. "There are snacks on the counter if you get hungry and plenty of drinks in the cooling unit."

"Thank you Mrs. O'Malley."

They left for the short walk to Liam and Patricia's quarters where Kacey rang the chime. Liam opened the door and stepped back to allow them to enter." Patsy is almost ready."

"Have you heard from Kate and Anya?"

"They will be here shortly. Do you think they suspect anything?"

"I do not think so, dad."

"When will ye be presenting the surprise?"

"After dinner and before the dancing. Kate will make a speech, then I will. I did find a copy of that song they danced to."

"Tis grand to hear, lass."

Patricia came out of the bedroom. "Mom you look fantastic."

"Thank you dear."

"Aye Patsy, ye are a true vision." Liam stated and went to Patricia where he took his wife in his arms and kissed her. The door chimed.

"I will get that." Kacey stated as Liam waved at her. Kate and Anya walked in, both dressed in their white formals as were Liam and Natalia. Kate looked at their parents still locked in an embrace.

"Should we make their excuses?" Kate joked.

"Oh yuck. Come on Kate, do not start that shit again." Kacey protested.

Kate shook her head and laughed. Kacey kept her back to their parents. "Is anyone timing them?"

Anya nudged her. "Stop that, Kate. What is the sequence for tonight?"

"Dinner first, then Kate makes her speech, my speech, then dancing." Kacey responded.

"Do you want to do your speech first?" Kate asked.

"No. As Captain you have the first honors. Protocol remember?"

"Tis a very lucky man I am to be surrounded by all these lovely ladies." Liam said, as he led Patricia over to them. "Are we ready to go?"

"Whenever you are dad. Mom you look great." Kate stated.

"Thank you all. Shall we go?" Liam placed the shawl around Patricia's shoulders.

Kacey opened the door for them and waited for Natalia's hand on her arm before they left. Outside, they walked to the head table next to the podium. Kate and Anya sat in the middle with Liam and Patricia on their left and Kacey and Natalia on their right. The servers brought their meal shortly after they sat down. Soft dinner music played allowing people to talk without shouting.

Once the plates were cleared away, Kate walked to the podium with her drink. She tapped the microphone to get every one's attention. The music stopped.

"Good evening everyone. Before we get to the boring speeches, I would like to thank several people. I ask that they stand when I read their names. I would like to thank Patricia O'Malley and all the kitchen staff and servers for this excellent meal. Danny and his bar staff for handling all the drink orders. The decorators and crew who worked to get everything set up not only here but also in the auditoriums in the event the weather did not cooperate. At this time I would also like to thank the medical staff for keeping us all healthy, the teachers who shaped the minds of our young people, the Day Care aides for watching the babies while we worked. Let's give them all a round of applause."

Those in attendance stood and applauded. Kate let the applause run on while she took a sip of her drink. As the applause died down." There are a few more people who deserves our recognition. Colonel Kirsten O'Malley who planned this party. And a huge thank you to the Marines and Stingers who have been our first line of defense on this journey." Applause stopped her speech again. "Almost four years ago this crew lifted off in the finest ship in the fleet. In those years, we have had many adventures. Some good, some bad, but through it all, this crew came together. We are much more than a crew, we are a family, with one common goal. Survival and our triumphant return to Earth. We have travelled further than any human before us. We have met and formed alliances with new civilizations. We have discovered new wonders, that we will remember for years to come. Soon our time together will come to an end. Some of you will retire, some will resign, many will move on to bigger and better things. No matter where your lives will take you, I hope you will all look back on our time together fondly." Applause stopped her again. "To the finest crew I have ever had the privilege to serve with. You made this voyage worth making." She picked up her glass. "To the valiant crew of Andromeda." Everyone raised their glasses and cheered. "We have one additional speech to get through and then we can really get this party started. I am also told that there is a fantastic desert that has not yet been brought out. Now I will turn the podium over to Colonel O'Malley who I am told has a few things to say."

Kate stepped away from the podium. Kacey pulled her gloves on and placed her hat on her head before she walked to the podium. Like Kate she carried her glass to the podium.

"First, I would like to thank the crew and Marines of Andromeda also. You made this trip exciting. On this journey, you can probably count the number of kilometers we have traveled by the amount of arguments Captain Jensen and I had." The audience laughed. "A diverse group of people, both service and civilians, came together and worked towards surviving. We faced many obstacles and through team work we survived each time. For that you have my gratitude and respect. Is Lieutenant Minor here? " She asked. Rich stood up. "I would like to clear one thing up. My pilots were never afraid to fly in front of Andromeda. We all trusted your piloting skills. They were just not as crazy as I." The audience laughed. "Thank you for never ramming me." Rich tossed her a salute. "Many friendships were forged during our journey that will last a life time. I would like to take this opportunity to tell you about one such friendship that actually started many years ago." Kacey nodded for the cover to come off the large square to show a video screen. "If everyone will look at the video screen, I will tell you about this friendship." She picked up the remote as the lights dimmed. "Let's return to the year twenty one fifty eight. Among the cadets entering the Space Academy, were two people from different parts of the world." The picture showed a young Kate and Anya in their first year cadet uniforms. "They did not realize then, that their worlds would eventually come together. For the first two years at the academy their lives were still separate. Until that fateful day in their third year they were formally introduced."

The picture changed to the party where they were introduced. "From that day forward the two became inseparable. Even though they had different majors they still found ways to be together." Scenes of them studying in the Library, or on the grounds of the Space Academy, or just walking around the lake on campus. "Graduation did not separate the two. Eventually Lieutenant Jensen plucked up the nerve to ask Lieutenant Hendricks to marry her on a snowy Christmas Eve while we were all on holiday in Holland." The picture showed Kate on one knee holding out a jeweler's box to Anya in front of a large decorated tree. "There is no doubt what the answer was." The next picture showed Kate putting the ring on Anya's finger and the next picture was of them kissing. "Six months later a very nervous Lieutenant Jensen waited anxiously for Lieutenant Hendricks to walk down the aisle." The picture showed a very pale Kate in her dress whites standing next to a smiling Kacey in her formal Marine uniform. The picture switched to show Anya as she was escorted to the altar by her father and again to their exchange of rings and the final walk back down the aisle.. "At zero hundred hours that momentous occasion took place fifteen years ago." The pictures switched to the cutting of the cake, to Anya throwing her bouquet, and Kate tossing the garters into the crowd, and the first dance. "Ladies and gentlemen, please stand and raise your glasses to Kate and Anya Jensen as they celebrate their fifteenth wedding anniversary." The next picture to show was a present day picture of them. The picture faded and the lights came back up. A large cake was wheeled out and placed near the head table. "This cake is a replica of their wedding cake lovingly baked and decorated by our mother. To Kate and Anya, may the love that started all those years ago, continue to grow for the rest of their lives. To my two big sisters." She raised her glass to them. Kate and Anya stood and accepted the congratulations from the party goers. Together they walked to Kacey and hugged her.

With Anya's hand tightly clasped in her own, Kate took the podium again. "This was a complete surprise for us. Thank you all for sharing this special time with us. So much for our plans to spend a quiet anniversary and concentrate on our daughter's birthday. I should have known Kacey would have other ideas. A special thank you to our mother, Patricia O'Malley who made the exact replica of our wedding cake. I am sorry there is no bouquet or garters to throw out."

"Yes there are." Kacey said, as she opened the box next to the podium and handed Anya the bouquet and Kate the garters.

"I should have known she would have these ready for us." They laughed.

Kacey took the microphone again. "Would all the single women gather on the starboard side of the dance floor and all the single men gather on the port side. We will get all the formalities out of the way before we get down to the serious job of partying." While the men and women gathered for the traditional throwing, Kacey whispered to them both. "If it is possible could you aim your throws at Mike and Maggie, his girlfriend?"

"We will try." Kate stated.

Together they walked to the dance floor. Anya looked around the group of women and found the one Kacey mentioned. She turned and threw the bouquet over her shoulder right into the arms of Mike's girlfriend. She caught the bouquet easily to the cheers of the audience. Kate walked to face the men. She found Mike, hooked the garter around one finger, pulled back and let it fly directly at him. He caught in a split second before it hit his face. He placed the garter on his arm and shook his finger at Kacey who smiled at him. Kate let the second garter fly into the crowd of me. They all scrambled for it. Lieutenant Minor held up the garter triumphantly. Everyone cheered.

Kate and Anya moved to the cake and with clasped hands sliced the first cut. They fed each other that first bite, careful not to get any on their dress whites. Like that first time they shared a kiss. Kacey stood behind the podium.

"Setting up this whole party was easier than finding a copy of the song they danced to that day. Being a Marine and the stubborn person that I am, I searched for many days to find that song." She nodded for the music to play. Kate led Anya to the dance floor. With their arms around each other, Anya expertly steered Kate around the floor to the cheers of the audience. Kate rested her head on Anya's shoulder as they danced. The song ended and they kissed again to the cheers and hoots of the crowd. "All right, keep it clean, there are innocents here." Kacey called out.

They walked off the dance floor hand in hand. Kacey nodded for the dance music to being. She felt Kate poke her in the back. "Are you including yourself in that group of innocents?" She asked before following Anya back to the dance floor. Kacey shook her head no and held her hand out to Natalia. Liam and Patricia followed them to the dance floor. Soon the floor was filled.

Kacey held Natalia close as they danced. She could hear the strong steady heart beat under her ear and it soothed her. She looked up as Kacey looked down. Their lips met until Kate poked her.

"Yessss?" Kacey asked drawing out the word.

"What happened to the innocents?"

"It is too late for them to be up anyway." She stated and returned to kissing Natalia. Anya silence Kate by doing the same.

"You did a fantastic job on that presentation." Natalia stated.

"I was inspired. They deserve this celebration."

"Were they your only inspiration?"

"Not in the least. I pictured what I would want our fifteenth anniversary to be like and everything fell into place."

"That is a nice thought, given that the day we met it was in the middle of an earthquake and I was very angry with you when you picked me up and carried me to your shuttle. That anger went away when the rocks hit you and you fell. Even though you dropped me, I think it was that minute I decided I wanted to get to know you better." She kissed Kacey. "Would you like to hear a secret?" Kacey nodded. "I think this time worked."

"How can you be sure? It has only been two weeks."

"My period should have started yesterday and it did not." Natalia stated.

"That is why you are drinking juice and not your usual wine." Do not be surprised if Mom and Anya noticed also." The music ended and they walked back to the table. Anya grabbed her arm and dragged her back to the dance floor. Kate led Natalia back also. "Is something wrong Anya?" Kacey asked.

"Not at all. I just wanted to thank you for the slide show and all the effort you put into making this party special for us."

"Anya it was my pleasure to do this for you both." Kacey answered.

"Is there something else you feel like mentioning?" Kacey looked at her. "I noticed Natalia ordered juice and not wine."

"I knew you would pick up on that. I could say no, but that she did not feel like drinking, but that would be a lie. She thinks this time it worked."

"I thought so. She has the beginnings of the glow."


"The glow?"

"That is not very observant of you Kacey." Anya joked. From Kacey's look she continued. "It is not something you need to worry about. Patricia and I know the signs to look for. Did you know she told me I was pregnant before the doctor confirmed it?"

"No I did not."

"Kate had no clue either until the doctor told us."

"In my own defense, Talia is only a day late." Kacey protested and changed directions. "Will you really retire?"

"Yes. Patricia, Natalia and I are still talking about a restaurant."

"If that is what Talia wants to do then that is what she will do."

"Now that you are an old married woman, I hope you do not fall back on your old habits of not coming home at night and sleeping in your office."

"I can guarantee that. Before I did not have any reason to go home. Now I do. With Talia and the children that house will now be a home. Tell me did you and Kate take turns keeping track of how many nights I slept in my office?"

"Not officially, but we knew if you speeder was not in the driveway by the time we went to bed, you would not be home."

They walked back to the table when the song ended. Patricia smiled and nodded her head knowingly as she sat next to Natalia. Kacey leaned over and whispered to her.

"It must be true?"

"What is true?"

"That you are pregnant. Anya said you have the beginnings of that glow and mom just gave us that all knowing smile. Plus they both noticed that you are drinking juice."

"We cannot put anything past those two can we?"

"You know when I was younger, I could never get anything past her. Kate could at times, but somehow I never could."

"That is because you are incapable of deception." She kissed Kacey. "What was the name of that song Kate and Anya danced to? It was beautiful."

"The English title is Ballad for Adeline. It was written by two composers, Senneville and Toussaint and was a tribute to the birth of one of his daughters, Adeline. Since then it has become a very romantic song. I am planning on teaching the girls to play that once they advance a bit more."

"Have you ever thought about teaching them that song you mom likes?"

"I have and it is next on the list after they mastered the one they are learning now."

The party continued far into the night.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page