The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


"All right Kate, climb up into the front seat. Kacey ordered from her place in the back seat. Kate climbed into the seat. "If you need to move the seat forward, there is a lever that you push forward so that you can reach the pedals." She waited for Kate to get comfortable. "Put the harness on and then the headphones. Once we are in the air that will be how we will talk." Kacey waited until Kate signaled she was ready. "This cockpit is just like the one in the virtual reality room."

"It helps that you have everything labeled." Kate joked.

"Yeah well that was the only way we could figure everything out." She responded. "As soon as you are ready, lower the bubble and hit the starter." Kacey could see Kate take a deep breath as the bubble lowered before she turned the flyer on. "Now just like the shuttle, we need to get off the ground first so push the thrusters forward just a little." The flyer lifted off the ground. "A little more Kate. Put us higher than the trees." They rose higher. "Keep us nice and level, and push the throttles forward gently."

"Do you have the same controls back there?"

"Yes I do. Why?"

"Just in case this does not go well you can take over."

"You are going to do fine Kate. Flying this is just like the shuttle. Maybe a little easier because it handles easier. Let's go a little higher and try a little more speed."

"I know this is not made for deep space but how high can we go?"

"Without helmets we can go three kilometers. Over that distance, helmets and oxygen are recommended. Then probably another five to seven kilometers after that. Today we will not be going that high. Right now we are going about forty kilometers per hour. Push the throttles forward again to get our speed to seventy kilometers, then the thrusters again because those hills in front of us are quite high."

"Damn."

"Kate relax, we are fine. Keep your movements nice and smooth and turn the yoke starboard a quarter turn. We will come no where near those hills."

"This does fly like a cloud."

"It does. The controls are very responsive and only need a gentle touch. Now straighten us out and push the throttle a little for more speed. We are about a half kilometer from the ground so with more speed we need to go a little higher. Here we do not have any other flyers to worry about so we can speed up."

"Did you warn your people that there would be a novice in the air today?"

"No I did not and you are a qualified shuttle pilot so that novice comment is garbage. If I did not think you could handle the flyer we would still be on the ground." Kacey stated.

"That sounds almost like a compliment little sister."

"It was. Now how about another turn to starboard. Nice and easy another quarter turn. We are approximately eighty kilometers from Andromeda." They continued the flying lesson for two hours as Kate flew over Eternus. Kacey had her tip the flyer over for several seconds before the flyer righted. "The only problems I have found with the flyer is there are no cup holders for coffee or a head. Ready to head back?"

"Any time you are."

"Then make a turn to starboard one half turn and lower the speed. The closer we get to Andromeda the more you will lower the speed. We should be back in about ten minutes. We will land outside the ship. I will not make you fly into the Hanger on your first lesson."

"Would that be hard to do?"

"Hell no. It is just like putting a family shuttle in a garage. If you want to try it I will talk you through it."

"Maybe for the next lesson."

"That is up to you. We can schedule another lesson for the day after tomorrow if you want."

"I would like that."

"Pull back on the speed again and bring us down slightly. We will do a fly over the ship to make sure the ground is clear before we land."

Anya and Natalia had the children outside and watched as the flyer came back. It stopped and lowered to the ground. The girls waved to Kate as they waited for Anya to signal that they could leave the safety of the ramp. They could see Kate open the bubble and shut the flyer down before she removed. the headphones and harness. Kacey followed her and they left the flyer. Anya gave the girls the okay and they took off to meet their mother as she stepped on the ground.

"Mummy we watched you flying. Did you flip it over? " Erin asked.

"Did you feel like a bird?" Erica asked right behind her sister.

"Yes I was the one who flipped it over and it did feel like I was a bird."

"Will you fly again?"

Kate hugged her daughters and let them lead her back to the ramp with Kacey close behind She kissed Anya while Kacey went to Natalia.

" I thought Kacey was exaggerating that day she said that it was like flying a cloud, but I should have known better. It is like flying a cloud."

"Did you have control at any time?" Natalia asked.

"No what you saw was all Kate. Most of the time my arms were folded. Now how about a coffee."

"How about lunch. We were waiting for you ."

-------------------------------------

Their time on Eternus came to an end. The area was cleaned and the structures they had erected were taken down and stored in the cargo bays. A search of Eternus assured them that the E.M. field was gone and with only residual traces left. Andromeda flew towards earth and home. The constellations around them were familiar.

Kacey allowed Mike to take over most of her duties while she spent time putting the finishing touches on her last two projects. She stepped back as instructed by General Millhouse to let the troops stand on their own merits. The green academy graduates and recruits were now seasoned troops. Those officers who had been with her for many years finished the training.

Inactivity once those projects were finished left her restless. She wandered the decks of the ship, visiting places she had little time to see during the first three years. Many times ending up on the Bridge or Mess Hall where she spent time visiting with Patricia. There were days that found her already off duty and in their quarters when Natalia finished her shift. She would pick up their children from day care where she spent many enjoyable hours with them.

She would often put them in their stroller and take them to the Mess Hall where she picked up their dinners and have it ready for Natalia. She did not want to have Natalia have to worry about fixing dinner after working all day. Natalia, Anya and Patricia were right when they thought she was pregnant. The doctor confirmed their suspicions,. The baby was due shortly after the New Year. With the children safely in their stroller, Kacey took them to see Patricia. She came out from behind the counter when she saw them walk in. She stopped long enough to pour Kacey a coffee and put two cookies in her pocket.

"Another early day?" She asked. Kacey nodded.

"Yeah, Mike is handling all the reports now so there is not a whole lot for me to do. So I figured as long as I have time on my hands, I would pick up dinner again."

"Gamma, cookie." Caitlyn said.

"Is it all right?" She asked Kacey.

"It will be a couple hours before dinner and if you have a few extras for me it is all right."

"You will never change, for which I am very happy. Sit down and I will get your cookies." Patricia placed Kacey's coffee on the table and handed the children their cookies before she headed back to the counter for more. She poured herself a cup of tea and picked up the plate of cookies that she carried back to Kacey." Your dinners will be ready shortly. How is Natalia feeling?"

"She has a little morning sickness, but at least this time it is not coffee that has her running to the head in the morning this time. Could you throw in a few extra cookies for her also. She has some early cravings for cookies."

Patricia sat with her. "I will take care of that. Your father signed his retirement papers last night."

"Natalia signed her resignations papers also."

"Now all we have to do is wait for Anya to sign her papers and we can go forward with our plans."

"During the party on Eternus, she told me she was going to retire. Seeing how Kate will not be picked for another long mission she does not want to tempt fate."

"What about you dear?"

"I would not accept another long mission, mom. General Millhouse hinted that I would get the flight training command I wanted."

"Would you have to move?"

"No, both Kate and I stated that we want to remain in Florida."

"That is good to hear."

"Do you think that dad will be able to adapt to being retired?"

"I will give him one month before he starts looking for something to do. Which I believe is about three and a half weeks longer than I would give you."

"Thanks a lot mom. At least you could give me a full week before I got restless." Kacey joked.

""Well I did not take your children into consideration. So yes I will give you a full week." Patricia stated. They both laughed. "Kacey I am glad we have another chance."

"Me too mom." The servers brought the covered containers and placed them on the table. Kacey finished her coffee and stood up. She placed the food containers in the basket behind the stroller and kissed her mother's cheek. "All right you little monsters tell grandma good by."

"Monsters Kacey?" She bent down and kissed the children. "They are little angels."

"If you say so mom. I call them monsters now because they are past the stage of being squeakers and demon and rug rat are already taken." Kacey told her with a smile. "I am sure you had similar names for me when I was that age."

"I take the fifth on that one." Patricia stated. "We may be over later."

"Good, you and dad are welcome anytime." Kacey pushed the stroller out of the Mess Hall.

----------------------------------

"Colonel O'Malley to the Ready room."

"On my way Captain." Kacey responded.

Kate sat behind her desk and finished the latest set of reports as she waited for Kacey. The door chimed as she signed off on the last report.

"Come in." She called out. Kacey walked in. "Have a seat." Kate stated and passed a cup across to Kacey.

"I received the final clearance from the doctor today." Kacey pulled the paper from her pocket and slid it across the desk. "I no longer need a copilot when I fly."

"Ahhh."

"Hey no need to get so excited Kate." Kacey snapped.

"Easy there Kacey. I did not mean anything by that. I am actually very happy that you have improved to the point where you can fly alone again."

"Sorry I snapped. It has been a long time coming. And now with Mike, Jere and Dan handling everything, I um..."

"I understand you are bored and restless. I honestly understand. You are such an action person that inactivity makes you crazy."

"At least you did not say crazier." Kacey joked.

"I never once thought you were crazy, little sister."

"Thanks for that. So do you have a reason for calling me up here or did you just miss my sparking personality?"

"I do have a reason. Not that you do not have a sparkling personality."

"Nice save sis. What did you need me for?"

"Two things actually. I received the final list from the brass on the procedures for disembarking." She slid the folder across the desk. "And to tell you that we will be at the coordinates for the memorial by the end of next week. I notified the brass so that they can coordinate with the former residents of Marcus Prime to witness it. It will be recorded for reference and teaching purposes."

"Kate I would like to take Natalia out that day so that she can release the buoy. Mike will be coming with us also just in case."

"That is an excellent idea. Permission granted. Will you tell her why she is going out?"

"Yes. It is not good to pull surprises on a pregnant woman. You told me that the last time she was pregnant."

"I seem to remember telling you a lot of things you should not do or tell a pregnant woman."

"I remember them all." Kacey stated. "It is hard to believe that we will be home in another month. Which reminds me, how do you want to handle the girl's lesson when we are home?"

"What is there to handle?"

"I have a piano already. I do not need two. Will you have room for the keyboard at your house? They have the basics down so that they do not need me hanging over them constantly. They can practice at your house and come over for their weekly lessons."

"We should be able to make room. Anya and I have talked about turning the guest room into a music slash art room. Until then could you keep the keyboard at you house."

"That would work out better as I have a couple songs that I want to have them learn that will be surprises. Then with a new baby in the house..."

"When is Natalia's first ultrasound?"

"Not until after we are home, unless she has problems. It is tentatively scheduled for the week after the debriefings. So I certainly hope they get all the information they need during the two weeks they have scheduled."

"I am certain they would let you out of the debriefings for the day if they run over. When is her due date?"

"Around nine January."

"Right around your anniversary." Kate joked. "You know now that Natalia has already given birth the next one could come early. Say eight days early which would put it right on your anniversary."

"Just like you Kate?"

"You would never forget your anniversary or the child's birthday."

"Being that our anniversary is on New Year's Day, I doubt that would ever happen."

"Back to business. Check out the protocol we have to follow."

Kacey read over the information. "Are they crazy? That will take hours. Civilian family members first. That will leave mom with all the rug rats until, let's see, Natalia leaves with the Science or Navigation departments."

"We can have one or two of the day care workers to help her."

"But they want to introduce each crew member and they want an Arch of Swords. I know we Marines are trained to be tough, but to expect them to hold up those Marmalukes while every crew member walks under is asking the impossible."

"Read that again. The arch is for the department heads and command staff. They want your Marines to be an Honor Guard and line the ramp and walkway to the stage."

"Damn that is a lot better." Kacey stated relieved. "They also want all the flyers off Andromeda before it lands."

"There will be a transport to bring the pilots back to the ship. Do you have enough pilots to get all the fleet off?"

Kacey thought. "Just enough to get all the working ships including the Vernan flyer and Captain's shuttle off. They might have to tow shuttle two and two of the stingers off. Although if Andromeda is low enough, they could be flown off."


"I believe that is what they plan on doing. Read the last page."

Kacey flipped to the last page and read. "They are giving the top four officers the rovers and the replicators?"

"The next time Andromeda goes up she will have all new equipment. Only the top officers, department heads and command staff will get the replicators."

"Does that go for those officers who are retiring?"

"Yes, I was given the list of officers to get the replicators. What they do with them after we land is their business. The Gellarians gave them the schematics and have built newer models of replicators and translators."

"There is something to be said for being the first to do something or are these bribes to stay in the service?"

"Read on. Bonuses for every year we were exploring."

"Is that for everyone?"

"Yes in addition to three weeks vacation for each year. That is to give everyone time to get their possessions off Andromeda before they come in and revamp Andromeda."

"Damn three months to clear out our quarters and offices. I think it just might take me that long. We have accumulated quite a good amount of items in four years.

"We have also. No matter how hard we tried to limit how much we collected, I think the little people would come in at night and add to everything."

"That is true." Kacey stated. Was there anything else you needed to discuss?"

"No, do you have anything pressing that you need to jump on?"

"Not since I stepped back and let Mike handle the daily stuff."

"So stick around."

"What about your work. I do not want to be responsible for you getting behind in your reports."

"You are not." Kate responded. We are nearing home and everything is quiet.

"Do you have something in mind?"

"No, I just thought that it has been a long time since we just sat and talked about something other than ship's business or butted heads, or have all hell break loose around us."

"We talk daily, Kate."

"Yes with the family present, but think, when is the last time we just chilled out over coffee, just the two of us."

"Damn I can not remember. Not with the parameters you mentioned. The last time we chilled, you got me drunk while playing pool in Danny's." Kacey joked.

"I got you drunk?" Kate asked in disbelief. "You got yourself drunk the same as I did."

"Maybe."

"There is no maybe about it. I did not sit on your chest and pour the drinks down your throat."

Kacey laughed. "That is something you would never be able to do, Kate."

"Is that a challenge little sister?"

"No challenge, just the plain truth. I am physically stronger than you."

"I will concede that point." Kate refilled their cups. "Let's get comfortable on the upper level." They moved to the couch in the upper level of the Ready Room, where they placed their cups on the coffee table. "We have come a long way and I am not talking kilometers we have travelled in the last four years."

"What is bringing on this introspective bout?"

"The fact that we are coming to the end of our journey. It has been an amazing four years."

"That it has. I wonder if the arguments we have had will go down in the annals of space travel?"

"Probably, Hell I can just picture them starting to teach a course in dealing with strong commanders. They could call it The Care and Feeding of Head Strong Commanders."

"I resent that Kate. There was always two of us in those arguments."

Kate laughed. "All right so make it Captains and Commanders." She sipped her coffee. "The other night I was thinking about all those times we talked. I found I really miss those early talks we had about sex."

"You are kidding right?"

"Not in the least. Now that you are an old married woman with children, you no longer seek out my advice on sex."

"Those early how to guides you sent me were a real eye opener."

"So now you think you know all there is to know about sex."

"Do you?"

"I would not presume to be all knowing in that area. Are you aware that our wives still exchange guides?"

"I should have realized Anya was behind some of those things we have tried."

"Hey do not blame Anya. Natalia is not the innocent party here."

"Then it appears that we are both the very lucky recipients of their knowledge."

"Lucky and very satisfied." Kate amended. "One thing I really miss is that I am no longer able to make you blush."

"I certainly do not. You did not need any more ammunition then."

"You were such an easy target." Kate joked then turned serious. "I used to worry about you rattling around in your house and not having someone to come home to."

"That is why I spent so many nights on the couch in my office. I thought about selling the house a few times and moving onto the base." Kate was surprised. "From the look on your face I think I shocked you."

"That you did. Even after you spent all that time and credits fixing it up just the way you wanted it?"

"It was just a house Kate, not a home like you had with Anya. I was very jealous of you then."

"And now?"

"Not any longer because I managed to find what you have. Now I have a beautiful wife that I love, two fantastic children and another on the way. They will be the reason I go home every night."

"Will you stop after this child is born?"

"That all depends on what Talia wants. If she wants more children then we will have more. We can certainly afford them. I am not just talking money here. There is enough love in our hearts for many children. But on the money side, I have not touched the two trust funds our grandparents set up. Any bonuses I received were transferred into a separate account. I lived off my monthly salary. Even now that I have a family I will only touch those accounts in an emergency, or to add more bedrooms to our house."

"We are the same way. Will you get back into horse training?"

"I want to. Maybe even get Talia and the children their own horses and teach them how to ride. I would love to find another dog like Bear also."

"Your trusty sidekick when you were terrorizing the neighborhood. I remember sitting on the porch with mom in the Summer listening to the two of you raising holy hell in the back yard. Then suddenly it was quiet and we could not hear you any more. You were maybe four at the time. Mom was worried that somehow you had managed to open the back gate and got out of the yard. We went looking for you and found you both asleep under the tree. He had his head on your leg. He opened his eyes and gave a small growl to warn us not to wake you. It was then that we realized that as long as he was by your side, you would be safe."

"He was my protector." Kacey said sadly. Her eyes filled.

Kate touched her arm. "Hey are you all right?"

Kacey wiped her eyes. "Yeah I just remembered the day we picked up his ashes from the vet after he died."

"I still wish I could have been there for you that day."

"You were in the middle of finals. There was no way you could have come home. Even if you did manage to get away, I would not have let you stay with me when I buried him."

"Mom told me about that day. How you sent them back to the house. They watched from the porch. Mom said you sat next to the hole you dug, holding the urn and crying. Then alone you buried your best friend."

"He was one of my best friend Kate. You were the other. You still are." Kate wiped her eyes as her tears threatened to overflow. "How did we manage to get onto such a sad subject?"

"We could always go back to talking about sex." Kate joked. The both started to laugh. They were still laughing when the door chimed. "Come." Kate managed to get out. Anya opened the door.

"I thought I should check on you both to make sure you did not kill each other." Anya stated which caused them to start laughing again. "If you are laughing no one is in danger and I can report back that all is good in here." They continued to laugh. Anya shook her head and left the room. Back on the Bridge she reported. "They are laughing like a couple of teenagers in there."

"Tis good to hear they are relaxing and not fighting." Liam stated. "This is a quiet area and they need to just kick back and relax like they used to."

"Did they do that a lot Commander?" Rich asked.

"That they did lad."

"I can verify that, Lieutenant. We grew up together." Rhea stated


"Are there any embarrassing stories you would like to share with us?"

"Ah there are plenty of stories lad, but as for sharing, no. They would have me head if I so much as let a whisper out. I like me head right where it is. So if they want to share they will, but ye will be getting nothing from me.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page