The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


 The large banquet areas were opened up to accommodate everyone.  Tables were set up surrounding the stage and dance floor.  Servers went through making sure each table had everything they would need.  Every table would seat fourteen people.  Service personnel  placed small name cards on each table according to the seating charts that were placed at intervals around the room.

After verifying that the name cards were in place another set of service personnel placed small boxes by each name using another chart.  Outside computers were set up so the officers could speak their name and find out which table they would be seated at.  The activity both inside and out was at a frenetic pace to get everything set up.

General Millhouse and Admiral Tacher walked through the vast room as workers hustled around them.  Security officers checked out every corner of the room as the President would be at the event.

Behind the podium, music stands and chairs were set up for the orchestra that would play after the meal was finished, and the promotions and awards handed out.

Flags of every country lined the walls.  In the place of honor stood the flag symbol of the United World.

"I have been assured that everything will be ready for seventeen hundred hours, Tuck."  Admiral Tacher stated.

"After the last two weeks of debriefings, I am ready for a good party."  General Millhouse said.

"There were a few times I thought there would be blood shed between Captain Jensen and Admiral Wilson."

"Colonel O'Malley was the same with General Wilhelm.  He is lucky his head is still on his shoulders.  I am happy to say he will not be here tonight."

"Neither will Admiral Wilson.  The President did us a great favor by sending those two on a tour of all the bases."

"With all their objections over our choices four years ago and their attacks during the debriefings, you and I  both know that what will take place tonight will be a big bone of contention with those two."

"Tuck, did Colonel O'Malley mention an incident that took place before they were attacked by the pirates?"

"No, just the attack and the aftermath.  Something went on that she will not talk about."  General Millhouse answered.

"Neither will Captain Jensen."

"Should we call them on it?"

"No Tuck.  I believe they will discuss it, if and when they are ready to."

"I got that impression also."

"The President wants a conference tomorrow morning at oh nine hundred hours tomorrow."

"What do you think about asking her to remove Wilson and Wilhelm from the Joint Chiefs?  They have stirred up trouble for years and are causing dissention among us all."

"We can ask her.  If we still burned people at the stake, Wilson would have been piling the logs around Captain Jensen and Colonel O'Malley."

"With Wilhelm holding the matches.  He has carried a grudge against Kacey ever since his son was kicked out of the Marine Academy."

"That is a long time to carry a grudge."

"What is Wilson's problem?"

"I will tell you after our meeting with the President."

"I looks like everything is ready to go here.  The doors will open at sixteen hundred hours.  The same time the transport is scheduled to pick up Captain Jensen, Commander and Colonel O'Malley.  We want everyone to be seated so that we can begin promptly at seventeen hundred hours.  Two hours for the meal.  Then another hour or so for the awards and promotions.  Dancing will take place after that until oh one hundred hours."

------------------------------------------

Kacey had not finished dressing when the door bell rang.  She hurried to open the door.  Kate and Anya entered in their dress whites.  Kacey wore her dress pants and white shirt.  Her feet were still bare.

"Come in.  We are running a bit late tonight.  There are drinks and snacks on the counter.  I will be down in a couple minutes."  Kacey ran back up stairs and disappeared into their bedroom.

Kate shared a look with Anya.  "That is not like her at all."  Anya stated.

"I wonder what is going on?  Miss punctuality is always ready thirty minutes earlier than she needed to be."  Kate spoke as she poured them each a drink.  The door chimed again.  Anya went to open it.  Liam in his dress whites and Patricia in a black and gold floor length dress entered.

"Kacey said she would be down shortly.  They are running a late."

"The doctor's appointment must have run late."  Patricia stated.

"That is right.  She had the ultrasound this afternoon.  Did either say how it went when they got back?"

"Not a word, but then they only picked up the children and hurried out."

"Maybe Doctor Amstell had a delivery."  Anya suggested.

"There were quite a few ladies in the family way when we landed."  Liam said as he took over the bartending duties.

"There were no births today."  Kacey stated as she came down the stairs.  "Natalia will be down shortly.  We lost track of time while we were getting Natalia some new clothes.  With her resignation official, she needed a dress for tonight and I wanted to get her something that would knock everyone out of their socks."  Kacey joked.  "I think we managed to do that."

"Speaking of which..."  Kate said.

"I hope I did not keep everyone waiting too long."  Natalia said as she joined them.  Liam whistled.

"Lass ye look beautiful."  He stated.

"Thank you Liam.  Would you pour me a little wine?"

"Of course, but are ye sure?"

"Yes Doctor Amstell  gave the okay for a little wine occasionally."  Natalia answered.  "Kacey and I have some news for everyone."  Liam handed her a small glass of wine.

"We did not plan for it, but we are expecting at least twins."

"At least?  How can you have an at least?"

"The ultra sound showed two heads, four arms and legs definitely, but there was also a shadow.  Then we could hear two separate heart beats, but also heard an echo.  We were unable to see the sex of either."

"Well congratulations to Kacey and Natalia."  He raised his glass.

"If you keep shooting out doubles, you will have to add more bedrooms."

"We will let you know.  How well can you handle a hammer Kate?"  Kacey joked.

"I know which end hits the nail."  Kate joked back.

The door bell chimed again.  "That must be the transport."  Kacey stated.  "Does anyone know why we get the royal treatment tonight?"

"No idea, but let's not keep the man waiting.  Get your hat and gloves on so that we can go."

Kacey pulled on her gloves and placed her hat on her head.  She checked her reflection out of habit and made minute adjustments.  She donned her cape before she picked up the cloak for Natalia and helped her into it.  Kacey offered her arm to Natalia as they walked out the door.  Inside the transport, Kacey checked that the windows opened before she sat down.  Kate shook her head. 

The crowd outside the banquet hall milled about.  The blue of the Marine's formals stood out in the sea of white of the Space Administration and crew.  The doors were open, but by unspoken consent, no-one went in.  They waited for their Captain and Commanders to arrive.  They moved around greeting the former crew mates and asking where their next postings would be,

The transport pulled up.  Liam stepped out first and helped Patricia.  They stood off to the side.  Kacey stepped out next and held her hand out for Natalia.  They moved to the other side.  Anya stepped out and waited for Kate to join her.  The applause grew and they waved to the crowd.  Together they walked to the banquet hall.

"Why are you all waiting out here?"  Kate asked.

"For you Captain.  You, the Colonel and Commander led us for four years.  It is only right that you lead us into the banquet."  Rich stated.

"Then what are we all waiting for."  Kate joked.  "The party is inside."

"We are all at table three, Captain."  Rhea stated.

"Thank you Rhea.  Have you heard anything on your new orders yet?"

"Bella has.  She will be the head engineer at the Ridgefield training base.  She will have hundreds of new engines to play with and is in her glory."

"Ridgefield, that is the base they were building when we left."

"Yes it opened last month.  From what I understand they are still moving equipment and planes in.  The first batch of pilots are scheduled to begin training in September or October.  There will be pilots and engineers sent there from all the services who think they know everything but really have no clue about what they are doing."  Bella said.

"That would be a really sweet gig to head up."  Kacey stated.  "I think I will try to get General Millhouse alone for a few minutes tonight and see of I can throw my name into the mix in case they do not have a C.O picked out yet."

"Uh oh she has that glint in her eyes again."  Kate joked.

"Hey General Millhouse said he could just about guarantee my choice of postings?"

"I do not want to be throwing water on ye lass, but a base like that will call for someone higher in rank."  Liam said.  Kacey shrugged.

They found their table and sat down at their assigned seats.  Servers came over to take their drink orders.  She returned with their drinks.

"So kiddo any news on the baby front?"  Rhea asked.

"Are we ready for everyone to know?"  She asked Natalia.

"Yes and the people around this table are not just anyone, they are family."

"You are right.  As of this afternoon we are expecting twins definitely, but..."

"BUT?  How can there be a but?"  Bella asked.

"Well we know there are two but there was also a shadow and then there was an echo with the heart beats."

"If you need to add bedrooms, let us know.  We will get you all the help you need."  Mike stated.

"Thanks Mike.  At least I know you guys will know which end of the hammer to use to hit the nail."  She joked and nudged Kate.

"As I told you earlier, I know which end to use.  It is the end I will knock you on the head with."  Kate joked back.

"Do not start you two."  Anya ordered.

"Okay Anya.  Will Thursday fifteen hundred hours work for you Kate?"

Anya rolled her eyes and shook her head at the sisters.  

The Joint Chiefs took their places at the head table.  Two chairs remained empty.  Admiral Tacher and General Millhouse walked to the podium.  "Ladies and Gentlemen, please stand for the President on the United World.  Music filled the room as every person stood.  Service people stood at attention as the double doors opened.  Civilians applauded as the president and her partner walked into the room.  She made her way to the head table and waved to the crowd.  She shook hands with the Joint Chiefs.  Her partner pulled out her chair for her.  She sat down which was the signal for everyone to sit down.

The servers went through delivering meals to each table.  Conversation was kept light while the meal was consumed with much laughter ringing through the room.  Kacey smiled at Mike when she noticed the ring on his girlfriend's finger.  She lifted her glass in a silent toast.

The servers went through refilling drink orders and removing empty plates as the meal  was finished.  Admiral Tacher walked again to the podium.  "I know you are all wondering what is in the boxes that were at your place.  I am happy to see that no one disobeyed orders and opened them prematurely."  The crowd laughed.  "It is now time for you to open the boxes."

There was the sounds of the boxes being opened as General Millhouse joined the Admiral at the podium.

"We chose to give out the medals everyone has earned this way to save time due to the large number of service people.  To do so individually would take up the rest of the evening and no one would get to dance."  The crowd laughed.  "The medals you have all earned include the following, The Extended Tour Medal,   Purple Hearts for each time any were hurt in defense of Andromeda.   Medals for Valor, Gold, Silver and Bronze stars for courage.  Good Conduct Medals, Expeditionary Medals for  forging alliances with alien races.  Also included are the commendations you have all received from either Captain Jensen or Colonel O'Malley.  Promotions that you have earned and your new orders for when your vacations are over."

"We would like the following officers to stand when their names are called."  Admiral Tacher stated.  "Commander Liam O'Malley, Lieutenant Commander Rhea Torino, Lieutenant Commander Anya Jensen, Lieutenant Commander Bella Torino, Lieutenant Colonel Michael Anderson, Major Daniel Taggart, Major Jeremy Williams.  Captain Jensen, Colonel O'Malley, would you do the honors."

Kate stood first.  She went to Liam and picked up the small box that she handed to him.  The Admiral spoke.  It gives me great pleasure to promote you to the rank of Captain."  Kate pinned the extra pip on his collar.  "Even though you have already signed your retirement papers, you will retire as a full Captain with all rights and privileges.  Your pay grade will reflect this promotion."  Kate turned to Anya.  "Lieutenant Commander Anya Jensen you are promoted to full Commander.  Your retirement will reflect your new rank with all rights and privileges. Kate pinned her new insignia on her collar."  Kate walked to Rhea.  "Lieutenant Commander Rhea Torino, you are hereby promoted to the rank of full Commander.  Your new assignment will be the Head of Security at the Offices of the Department of the Military and will serve as adjunct to the Admiral."  Kate pinned the new rank on her friend and moved on to Bella.  "Lieutenant Commander Bella Torino, you are also promoted to the rank of Commander and will serve as Head Engineer at the Ridgefield Training Base."  Kate finished and returned to her seat.  Kacey stood as General Millhouse spoke.

"Lieutenant Colonel Michael Anderson you are hereby promoted to the rank of Colonel and will be the Chief of Staff  and Adjunct to the General at the Ridgefield Training Base."  Kacey pinned the insignia on his collar and smiled at him.

"Well done Mike.  Congratulations on your promotion.  You new C.O is a very lucky person."

"You will always be my C.O., Kacey."  He replied.

"Major Daniel Taggart, you are hereby promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and will be Flight Training Commander at the Ridgefield Training base."

"Dan congratulations.  She pinned his insignia on his collar and moved on.

"Major Jeremy Williams, you are hereby promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and will also be Flight Training Commander at the Ridgefield Training Base."

"Congratulations, Jere.  Now I am really jealous."

"Thank you Kacey.  I will do you proud."

"I know you will Jere."

Kacey walked back to her seat.  The President stood and walked to the podium.

"We have a few officers who have earned the Medal of Honor.  I ask that when your names are called you walk up on stage."  She read through the list of names.  Each person walked and stood at attention on the stage.  When she had finished reading the names, she called each person forward where she fastened the medal around their necks.  Once completed the officers stood on stage as the audience surged to their feet applauding.  The officers returned to their seats.  "The President returned to the podium.  "The Presidential Medal of Freedom is given to the civilian who went out of their way to make life easier for the service people.  This person went out of her way to make sure morale on Andromeda was always high, even in time of trouble.  This recipient also made sure the crew was well fed.  Ladies and Gentlemen, this years recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom is Patricia O'Malley."  The room erupted in cheers as everyone got to their feet applauding.  The cheers were loudest around the family table.  Liam offered Patricia his hand as he helped her walk to the stairs.  He waited at the bottom as she walked across the stage.  Her legs shook as she walked to the President.  The President pinned the medal on the left side of Patricia's dress.  She shook Patricia's hand.  "Mrs. O'Malley, I have heard many good things about your cooking.  I hope to have the pleasure of sampling your cooking one day."

"Madame President, it would be my honor to cook for you."  Patricia stated, shook hands again with the President and walked off the stage to where Liam waited.  He escorted her back to their table.  Her family embraced her. 

The President waited for them to sit back down.  "We have just a couple more pieces of business to conclude before we get down to serious partying."

"Captain Jensen would you join us on stage."  Admiral Tacher stated.

To be continued...

 

Author's Page

Return to the Academy