The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1





In the year 2223, the world has been at peace for over one hundred forty years.  Medicine had eradicated many diseases. The  life span increased to one hundred twenty years for  men and one hundred thirty years for women.  Space flights brought the far reaches of the universe closer.  Each year more humans lived off world.  Aliens from other planets made Earth their home.  Space flights were longer and found newer civilizations.

 

The sun shone down from a cloudless blue sky, on the crowd as they waited for the transports to arrive.  The line of transports came to a stop before the church.  From the first transport a silver haired Kate in her dress white uniform stepped out.  The insignia of a Rear Admiral gleamed on her collar.  She held her hand out to help Anya.  Her golden blond hair was nearly white.  Their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren lined one side of the walkway.

The second transport pulled up.  Kacey in her Marine uniform stood erect.  The four stars of a General  on her hat and shoulders reflected the afternoon sunlight.  She helped Natalia from the transport.  They, their children and grandchildren and great grand children lined the other side of the walkway.  The third transport pulled up.

Liam stepped out.  His dark hair was now completely white with his advanced age, but his blue eyes still twinkled.  He turned to help Patricia from the transport.  Her hair was also completely white, but age could not dim the love that shone from her eyes when she looked at her husband.  They turned as applause filled the air.  They held hands and walked slowly down the walkway lined with their family and into the church.  They waited in the back for the invited guest to fill the seats before the youngest children started down the aisle to the side  of the altar and waited for their part in the ceremony.  Anya and Natalia followed by Kate and Kacey led their parents down to the altar.  They stopped and moved to the side to allow Liam and Patricia to finish the walk alone to where the Chaplin waited.

"Please be seated,"  he stated.  Liam waited for Patricia to sit before he did. "Seventy five years ago these two loving hearts stood before God and their friends and vowed to love each other for the rest of their lives.  Today, six generations later they come here again, surrounded by their children, grand children, great grandchildren, and great, great  grandchildren and soon to be great, great, great, grandchild, they have come again to pledge their love.  There is a special music selection that will be sung by the younger generations.  Kacey moved to the keyboard while Anya directed the children.  They sang the same song she and Anya had sang for them on their thirtieth anniversary.

You and I were meant for one another.  Today we'll join our hearts eternally.

And this moment I'll always remember, all the words that mean so much to me.

And you're my only love, my only love,

And I will thank the lord above for you each day.

I can't believe the way I feel you're so lovely you're real.

And I know you'll always be my only love.

Listen closely to the words I'm saying.  I know I never meant them more.

For you love only I've been praying, you and I are what this love is for.

And you're my only love, my only love.

I can't believe the way I fell you're so precious you're so real

And I know you'll always be my only love.

Liam and Patricia wiped their eyes as the song ended and the children walked back to their seats.

The Chaplin began.  "Today Liam and Patricia will once again speak what is in their hearts."

Liam helped Patricia to stand.  They held hands and faced each other.

"Patsy, me darling wife, you are just as lovely as the that day seventy five years ago when we were first married.  I loved you so much that day and each day my love for you grows.  Just when I am thinking I could not love you more, you smile at me,  and me heart tells me there is more love to give ye.  Through two daughters, six grandchildren, fourteen great grand children, twelve great, great grandchildren and the wee babe that will soon join our family.  We have seen our share of laughter and tears, but always, always love is the driving force in our lives.  No matter what we have seen in our lives, I would marry you all over again."

"Liam you dear, dear man.  From that very first day you walked into my life, all those years ago, I knew you were a very special man.  I did not realize just how special you were until I fell in love with you.  You were the tall jolly Irishman with a head full of black hair and laughing blue eyes.  You hair is white now, but your eyes are still the same blue that I fell in love with.  You still make my heart beat faster  each time you smile at me.  I will love you forever my dear husband.  The years may have aged us on the outside, but inside we are still the same age as that first time you made me your bride."

"Liam and Patricia have once again affirmed their love.  Let all here witness as they seal their vows with a kiss."

Liam put his arm around Patricia and kissed her as the church erupted in applause.  Kate caught Kacey's eye and mimicked timing the kiss.  Kacey rolled her eyes.    Their parents turned and faced their family and friends.  They walked out of the church where they whole family gathered around them for pictures.

-----------------

The banquet hall at the restaurant they had purchased years ago was decorated for their anniversary.  Pictures of them through the years lined the walls.  They sat in the middle of the head table with Kate and Anya on one side, Kacey and Natalia on the other.  Servers went though and poured champagne and juice.  Kate and Kacey stood up.

Kate held her glass up.  "During my life I have had the pleasure to see many wonderful places.  I have been to planets outside our Solar System, but no experience was as wonderful as the day our parents were married seventy five years ago.  Liam, dad came into our lives after my own father died.  He married mom and became so much more than the man who married my mother.  He became the father in my heart.  He and mom have a love that is never ending.  To mom and dad," Kate finished and raised her glass in a toast.

Kacey raised her glass.  "I was not so lucky to have been able to witness their first wedding, unless you count being a twinkle in dad's eye."  Everyone laughed.  "Throughout our lives, no matter what was thrown at them, their love has shown through.  We as a family logged billions of kilometers in space travel all those years ago.  Through battles, injuries, illnesses, and many, many arguments with a very stubborn ship's Captain."  She winked at Kate, "all of which I was involved with. Their love never faltered,  for each other or for their two daughters.  Now we are here to celebrate seventy five years of that love.  Mom and Dad, I have only one wish for you and that is that you will have many, many more years together."  She raised her glass.

The servers brought their meals.  Talk was light as everyone ate.  There was laughter as their family and friends celebrated their love.

Once the meals was finished, Kacey moved to the stage when the orchestra waited.  She picked up her violin.  She waited until Liam escorted Patricia to the dance floor.  She began to play.  The orchestra joined in after the first bars. Liam started to sing.  The years had not dimmed his tenor voice as he held his wife close and sang.

"Look at us, after all these years together.

Look at us after all that we've been through.

Look at us still leaning on each other.

"If you want to see what true love should be then just look at us.

Look at you still pretty as a picture.

Look at me still crazy over you,

Look at us still believing in forever.

If you want to see what true love should be then just look at us.

In a hundred years from now, I know without a doubt.

They'll all look back and wonder how we made it all work out.

Chances are, we'll go down in History.

When they want to see what true love should be they just look at us.

Patricia rested her head against he husband's chest as he sang to her.  When he finished the song, she pulled his head down and kissed him.

"Forever my darling husband, forever,"  she said softly.

 

                                             THE END.

Thank you all for taking this ride with me and for all the feed back.  These characters have been talking to me for over two years it is sad to see them go.  But who knows maybe they will return.

Songs.  My Only Love written by Jimmy Fortune

              Look At Us written by Vince Gill.

This was supposed to be the end of these characters, but they had other ideas.  They have been badgering me that there is more of their story to tell.  So they will return in the near future.

Thanks again,
Claire

 

Author's Page

Return to the Academy