The Voyage Home

by Psyche_B

he adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, and So Far From Home, continues in the final chapter The Voyage Home.

Go To Part 1


                                         CHAPTER 8 A

    Kacey notified Kate of the plans for that night after the girls practice.  Liam informed Patricia when he took his lunch break.  He reported that they would be over after their duty shifts.  Leaving the Bridge in Liam's capable hands, Kacey headed to her office.  She knew she could use the Ready Room, but left Kate's inner sanctum alone.

    She started her computer and ran a search of ways to mask their propulsion.  It took several minutes to find the information she needed.  Once found, Kacey looked for ways to adapt them to the shuttles and Andromeda.  She smiled as she read then checked the replicator inventory to see if they could replicate the parts needed.  She sent the information to the Hanger replicators and started the process of producing the parts.  She touched her communicator.

  "Colonel Anderson, Major Taggart and Major Williams report to my office immediately."

  "On our way Colonel."

  Kacey continued to read the information until the door chimed.  "Come in."  She called out.  Her officers walked in.  "Gentlemen have a seat.  I have a very special project for you."  She turned her monitor around to show them what she found.  "Those masses are still following us."  She began.  "Right now we have a six day lead on them, but we need to lose them completely.  The suggestion was made that we used the same tactics we used against the Limari.  However I believe the race that is following us is more intelligent than the Limari.  What we need to do is mask our propulsion signature.  They are using that to follow us.  What I found is that we can replicate propulsion buffers which according to the specs fit over the exhaust ports  to basically scrub the exhaust and disperses the propulsion trail so that it is scattered and impossible to follow.  Andromeda's exhause ports are too large to put the scrubbers on, but I want every shuttle and stinger equipped with them.  Any questions so far?"

  "How soon do you want this done Colonel?"

  "Yesterday would be great, but I will settle for immediately.  I still have to get Kate's approval on what I want to do."

  "What exactly are you planning, Colonel?"

  "We take the tactic we used against the Limari but take it a little further.  Once all the smaller ships have the scrubbers, I want to kill all the power on Andromeda including lights which can be hidden behind the blast shields.  Then have the Stingers run their patrols while the shuttles tow Andromeda until we lose who ever is tracking us."

  "That is an ambitious plan, Colonel."

  "It is.  Can it be done?"

  "We would not be able to go faster than warp six towing Andromeda."

  "Permission to speak freely Colonel?"

  "Of course Jere.  What is on your mind?"

  "If we already have a six day lead on them, why go through all this?"

  "They are as tenacious as a dog with a bone.  We are scheduled to take stopover breaks on Athena and Eternus.  I do not want to give them any sort of opportunity to catch up to us or worse, follow us to Earth.  The planet would not stand a chance against those pulse canons.  If we can lose them on this side of the system, I am hoping they will give up."

  "I understand and agree with your thinking Colonel."

  "We will get everything ready for when the Captain gives the okay."

  "We can start with the ships inside the Hanger, then as the shifts change over, work on them.  Do you want the Captain's shuttle done also?"

  "Yes we will need every shuttle in order to pull this off.  How long do you estimate it will take to get all the ships equipped?"

  "According to the specs, it is not a big job, so two days tops.  Then we can put this plan into action."

  "Good get on it immediately.  Use whatever help you need."

  "We will get it done Colonel."

  "I know you will Dan and hopefully Kate will return to the Bridge and I can lend a hand."  The men filed out of the office.  Kacey continued to work for a short time before she returned to the Bridge. 

  Liam smiled as she sat in the command chair.  "Did ye get everything taken care of?"

  "I started the process dad.  It will be up to Kate if we implement my idea."

  "When will ye be telling the rest of us?"

  "After dinner tonight."

---------------------------

    Dinner was finished.  The dirty plates cleared, cleaned and put away.  They sat in the living room.  Patricia and Liam sat in the rocking chairs and held the babies.  Kate and Anya sat on the couch with their girls.  Rhea and Bella took the love seat.  Kacey perched on the arm of the chair Natalia sat in.  Fresh drinks were handed out.

  "So fill me in on this plan of yours."  Kate ordered.

  "I did some research and found we can mask our propulsion on the smaller ships without any problems or major overhauls.  Andromeda however cannot be done as the exhaust ports are too big."

  "So tis no way to mask the girl's exhaust?"  Liam asked.

  "Not without a major overhaul, dad.  Those masses would catch up to us before we masked one engine."

  "So what did you come up with?"  Kate asked.

  "I suggest we equip all the smaller ships with the propulsion scrubbers.  Then we kill the engines on Andromeda and close the blast shields and have the shuttles tow Andromeda."

  "Tow Andromeda?  Are you crazy?"  Kate blurted out.  "Do you know how much this ship weighs?"

  "I do but remember Kate, we are in the vacuum of space in zero gravity where the ship is weightless.  The shuttles and stingers connect with tractor beams or cables and pull Andromeda to safety."  Kacey stopped and let the information sink in.

  "Is there something you are not mentioning?"

  "The down side is that we would not be able to go over warp six.  Look, Kate they have been following us for at least a week using our propulsion trail to track us.  We have no idea what their goal is.  I for one, do not want to lead them straight to Earth.  Those pulse canons would decimate the planet."

  "Say I go along with this crazy idea, how long will it take your people to get the smaller ships ready?"

  "At least another day to a day and a half."  Kate looked at her.  "I told my people to start installing the scrubbers today."

  "Were you that sure I would agree?"

  "No, but I hoped and wanted to be ready in that event."

  "Kate it is a crazy idea, but I think it could work."  Rhea stated.

  "Thank for the vote of confidence, Rhea.  Look Kate, we do not know who they are or what they are after.  They have been following us for days, fired on us without provocation and are using our propulsion trails to track us.  If you approve this, we shut down Andromeda's engines and change course and hopefully that will discourage them when they are unable to find us."

  "Tis a sound plan Katie."  Liam offered.

  "You said it would take a total of two days to get the smaller ships ready."

  "That's right."

  "Where will you be if I decide to approve this?"

  "If you are back on duty, I will be in my shuttle, unless you have other orders."  Kacey answered.  "The plan is to have several pilots in each shuttle so we will not have to waste time switching pilots."

  "How long do you plan on towing Andromeda."

  "I am not sure.  A full day maybe more.  It all depends on how far away we can get from those masses."  Kacey replied.

  Kate sipped her drink as she reread the information Kacey found.

  "Would there be any adverse reaction to the engines?"

  "None Kate.  The engines would be shut down for the duration."

  "What about steering?"  Anya asked.

  "With the shuttles towing or tractoring, we will be positioned so that no one needs to steer."  Kacey replied.

  "How long would it take to plot a new course?"

  "Thirty minutes, maybe less."  Anya answered.  "Do you still plan on stopping at Athena?"

  "Yes if we can lose our trackers."

  "What would you consider a safe time frame?"  Natalia spoke for the first time.

  "I would like to have at least a month's journey between us."  Kate responded.

  "We gain a day each time we increase the speed to warp nine.  That added three days yesterday and that is running at warp nine for two hours each shift."

  "How long does it take a propulsions signature to fade?"  Patricia asked,

  "Usually a few weeks, but if their sensors are hyper sensitive, they could pick up trails that are a lot older, mom."



  "You seem to have done your homework dear."

  "There is a lot at stake here, mom."  Kacey replied.  "Look Kate, this is not some half baked idea that I pulled out of my hat."  Kate looked around the room at the faces waiting for her decision.  "The mechanics have gone through all the shuttles to make..."  Kate held a hand up to stop her.

  "Anya plot us a course toward Athena.  Get us closer to our original course."

  "Of course Kate."

                                          CHAPTER 8 B

    Kate was quiet for several minutes.  She finished her drink and held her glass out for a refill.  When Kacey returned with her glass Kate looked at her.

    "How many of your pilots can fly the shuttles?"

    "Half of them."

    "That would give you enough pilots to have six in each shuttle?"

    "I was thinking along the lines of four in each flying in six hour shifts."

    "Six pilots in four hour shifts.  That is non-negotiable."

    "Six it is.  Does that mean you approve my idea?"

    "Yes, you have my approval.  However we will not attempt this until I am back on duty."

    "When will that be Kate?"

    "The day after tomorrow, because of the broken collar bone the Doctor wants me off a little longer.  In the meantime, get the ship ready.  Test all blast shields to make sure they close completely.  Keep all weapons fully charged and shields at maximum.  Have your people continue to work on the scrubbers."  Kate ordered.  "How sure are you that this plan will work?"

    "Very sure but if you want an actual number, I would say ninety five to ninety nine percent."

    "One hundred percent would be better, but those odds are acceptable."

    The meeting broke up shortly after.  Kate and Anya put their girls to bed and sat on the couch listening to their chatter.  Kate rested her head on Anya's shoulder.

    "Darling what do you really think about Kacey's idea."

    "It is a very ambitious plan, but if anyone can pull it off, it will be her and her Marines."  Anya responded.  "You surprised me by approving it so quickly.  I think everyone else was surprised as well.  Why did you?"

    "Kacey made valid points."

    "That is all?"

    "That is all it took."  Kate admitted.

    "I agree with you my Kate."

    "I hope that when we return to Earth the Joint Chiefs acknowledge her contributions to this ship and give her the promotion she so richly deserves."  She has earned it."

    "You do realize that if she is promoted, you will have to salute her." Anya joked.

    "That is something I would be proud to do, anytime, anywhere."  Kate stated.  She moved so that her knees were on both sides of Anya's legs as she sat on her lap.  Kate placed her hands behind Anya's neck and pulled it forward to kiss her.

    "Do you have something on your mind Kate?"

    "I do and it does not include talking about the ship or Kacey or even our children.  I want the only words spoken to be words of love."

    "That is a beautiful idea, however, you need to answer one question for me.  And be completely truthful when you answer it."  Anya looked directly in Kate's eyes.  "How is you broken collar bone feeling?"

    "Not too bad.  I have a few twinges but nothing major."  Kate answered.  "That is the absolute truth.  the Doctor said I can return to most normal activities."  Anya smiled and pulled Kate's head and kissed her.  They continued to kiss, their tongues dancing together.  Anya moved her hands to Kate's waist and stood up, getting a gasp of surprise from Kate.


"I love it when you do that."  She whispered causing Anya to laugh as she carried Kate into their bedroom.  Anya sat Kate on the bed and knelt down to remove Kate's shoes and socks.  She stood up pulling Kate with her.  She unbuttoned Kate's shirt and pushed it from her shoulders.  With one hand she undid the clasp of Kate's bra and removed it, freeing the firm breasts.

    Anya tilted Kate's head and kissed her again.  Her tongue demanding entrance as her hands massaged Kate's breasts.  The tips hardened in her hands.  Anya moved to Kate's ear and ran her tongue around the edge.  Kate shivered under the loving onslaught.  Anya undid the zipper on Kate's trousers and pushed them over the slender hips until gravity took them to the floor.  Kate moved away from the pooled clothing and pulled Anya close as she help her beloved remove her clothes.  Anya took Kate's hands in hers and held them still.  She scooped Kate in her arms and laid her on the already turned down bed.

  "You have way to many clothes on my darling."  Kate stated.

  "Patience my Kate.  Have patience."  Anya sat down on the side of the bed to remove her shoes and socks.  Kate ran her hands up Anya's back.  "Kate you must lie still.  You cannot touch until I tell you, understand?"  Anya looked over her shoulder and laughed at Kate's pout.  "That will not work.  I am immune to your pouts no matter how cute they are.  Now lie still while I undress."

  Kate laid back against the pillow and watch Anya undress.  Anya stood and faced the bed as she slowly unbuttoned her shirt.  She watched Kate watch her.  She slowed her movements after she removed her shirt.  Anya unbuttoned the jeans she wore and eased them down over her slim hips and let them fall to the floor.  She faced Kate clad only in her underwear.  Kate  took in the filmy material.

  "I am glad you decided to forego the military sanctioned underclothes.  I love it when you wear those."

  Anya turned around and undid the clasp on her bra and undid the ties on the impossibly small scraps of silk that made up her underwear.  She let the fabric fall and removed her bra before she turned to face Kate.  Kate's breathing increased as she watched Anya undress.

  Anya knelt on the bed and captured Kate's lips.  Her hands massaged the smaller breasts.  Breaking off the kiss she took one hardening tip in her mouth while her hand pinched the other nipple into hardness.  She flicked her tongue over the hard tip and felt Kate's breathing increase again.  She moved back to capture Kate's lips as her hand moved slowly over Kate's flat stomach to the triangle of auburn curls.  Her lips followed the path of her hand, stopping to take the still hard nipple into her mouth where she flicked her tongue roughly back and forth before moving down past Kate's navel to the tight curls.  She shifted position until she lay between Kate's legs to feast on her love.  The copious fluid was like nectar as she drank her fill before she concentrated on the reddened distended pearl.  Her tongue slowly passed over the bud.  Anya increased the pace of her tongue as she inserted two fingers into the warm moist velvet center.  Anya worked her fingers in pace with her tongue.  Kate lost all control of her body as she moved with Anya.  She approached the apex and without a struggle, happily went over the edge calling Anya's name.  Anya was not finished and took her over again.  She allowed Kate to come down before she moved up to the head of the bed and took Kate into her arms.

  "My darling you are absolutely incredible."  She stated as she regained her breath.

  "It was entirely my pleasure, my Kate."

  "Give me a minute to get the bones back into my body and I will return the pleasure."

  "Take all the time you need.  I am not going anywhere, Kate."  Anya whispered softly.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page