This War Is Over

By: Re



Hello people. . .

Alrighty. This is my first piece of fanfiction. If you want to read it, keep that in mind if you critique it.

I believe that Xena and Gabrielle are lovers. This story reflects that. However, there is no smut whatsoever, and as you read the story you'll see why.

This piece of fiction contains the song by Melissa Etheridge 'This War Is Over' (hence the title).

Also, most importantly, Xena and Gabrielle belong to Ren Pics and some other very talented people named Lucy and Reneé. No profit will be made from this, nor do I have anything to give you if you sue me. *VBG*

Last thing. . .if you want to e-mail me to let me know how I did, my e-mail address is:

larecha20@hotmail.com

Your input would be appreciated. :0) (That was my big word for the day. BG)




One last note:
This story is dedicated to Trillseeker,
A fellow gutterbaby,
And to all of the other Xenites who have gone on before us.

Let us not all fall to silence.



"Gabrielle. . ."

The name whispered above a pair of silent lips.

A single tear slid down the warrior's face, dripping onto the closed eyelids of her bard.

"I love you Gabrielle."

"I'll always love you. Nothing can stop that."

Xena pulled the cloth over a pallid face, still and beautiful.

Always beautiful.

Always hers.

She hooked up the bard's resting place to Argo and mounted her horse.

"Come on Argo. Let's go home."

The easy walking sway of the horse did nothing to relax her stiff posture. Grief had set a stiffness to her body, just as death had done to Gabrielle's.

They kept going in the silence for mile upon mile, tear upon tear as it dropped onto the saddle and fed the small stream to the ground.

They stopped for the night in a small clearing and Xena unpacked the bedrolls and laid out camp, then headed out for some food.

"I'll be right back, love."

The lack of response caused her to turn around. . .

And then her eyes caught on the small lump of a body laying in it's resting place. Then she looked around the camp and her mind finally registered what she had done.

She saw the two bedrolls, laid side by side, just like always. She saw the firepit surrounded by stones - waiting for Gabrielle to make the fire. She saw the water pouches waiting for Gabrielle to fill them. She saw the scrollcase by the bedrolls, waiting for it's mistress' hand to open it and begin to write her days adventures on the scrolls it contained.

Her face took on an unknown weariness and she turned her back on the scene as she walked into the forest to catch her dinner. Just one rabbit now. . .not two. Just one waterskin. Just one handful of roots. Just one plate. One bowl. One spoon. One cup.

One warrior. One grieving, broken woman to live tonight in the silence that had fallen on a day like today. Just yesterday, in fact. She could still remember.

She would always remember.

She had broken one of the armor catches on her breastplate and they had entered the next village to visit the blacksmith.



She turned to her bard, "Don't go getting into trouble. I don't want to be here long."

Gabrielle turned to her, impish smile plastered on her face, and the ever present reply at her lips, "Me? Moi? Get into trouble? You must be joking."

Xena had to smile. She always had to smile around Gabrielle, "Yeah. . .whatever. Go visit the markets and spend some dinars, or whatever you supposedly do when you need to waste time."

Her lover grinned and turned with a fanning of short skirt and gold-blonde hair. Halfway down the street she heard an appreciative whistle and threw back a sultry smile to the tall, dark and deadly warrior she was so attached to.

Xena walked the remainder of the way to the blacksmith shop and stopped just outside when she heard the topic of conversation. Creeping stealthily up to the side of the barn she cocked her head and listened to the two voices talking.

"I know we didn't want them to know anything, Menos. It can't be helped this time. If we want one of our spies to stay inside their camp, we're going to have to turn one of ourselves in. They're already suspicious. . . and if no one gets caught then they're going to be wary. Nobody's ever going to find any information if they're on their guard all the time."

"I just don't understand why it has to be Telus. He's a good guy. You know that. One of our best in the field. It's going to be a pity to lose him."

There was silence for a moment.

"You realise he won't stand a chance once they get ahold of him."

"I know. It's the only way though."


It turned out that there was a war going on between their people and the people of an adjoining land. Someone had to stop them.

That someone was Xena.

The only thing that she didn't know was that Gabrielle was going to be the one to pay for her choice to fight in that bloody battle.

That Gabrielle would be the only casualty of a war she didn't even want to be a part of.

She fought. . .she fought hard and long. All for the greater good. All because Xena had needed her there.

She died for a cause she believed in.

And she died in Xena's arms, knowing that today was her day, and that it had been a good day of fighting.



Blood ran from her lips and splattered onto the ground as the soldiers gathered in a circle around her. Around the dark warrior and her bard - so full of light. A light that was waning with every passing moment.

Her lips turned blue and her eyes lost their brightness, but she lived on.

So much left to say.

Not nearly enough time to say it.

"You promised me something a long time ago."

Xena nodded, tears streaming down her face.

"You keep that promise for me, Xena. You always were a woman of your word."

Her tears mixed with the pouring rain as she nodded and leaned over, kissing her soulmate, tasting the metallic tang of blood, knowing that it would be their last touch in this life.

"I love you Xe. I'll wait for you on the other side."

Her eyes closed and her head fell.

The bard was gone.




Xena looked up from where she had stopped and felt the weight of the rabbit in her hand, realising she had caught it out of habit. She walked back to the camp, sat down, cooked her dinner and then ate it.

Night fell. Silence presided still. Sleep was always one thought away. And the morning sun rose bright and early, just like always.

Xena packed up camp, put out the fire, hooked up her extra load and rode out of camp without a glimpse back.

Amphipolis was her destination. She wanted Gabrielle to have her burial place beside Lyceus. However, that wasn't the only reason she was going home.

She was tired.

Tired of fighting. Tired of losing what she loved. Tired of hurting.

She knew Amphipolis had a place for her. . .and she was ready to take it.

At least for a little while.

She just need some time to grieve. To partially recover a sense of who she was and where she was, and what she would be doing after the ache settled a little.

It has been said that time can help grief. Make it fade to a small, throbbing pain that backdrops your life. But time does nothing for pure sorrow, except remind you that you've survived the all-consuming ache yet another day.

She pulled up in her hometown a few days later and jumped off Argo, leading her to the barn. Picking up her soulmate's body, she walked into the burial chambers and set her in the crypt among the cobwebs and dust. She placed a kiss on the covered forehead, catching the very faint smell of her lover's scent among the overwhelming haze of burial spices she had wrapped Gabrielle in.

"I'll see ya later, Brie. I love you."

She put the cover over the coffin and turned to leave. In the doorway stood her mother, tears in her eyes. Her arms lifted as Xena walked into them, returning the embrace she was offered.

Cyrene looked up questioningly at Xena, "Gabrielle?"

"Gone."

One word, so adequately describing the emptiness inside her. Only one explanation left to tell of her decision.

"I'm coming home."

Finis




'This War is Over'
- Melissa Etheridge -

Take off my shield.
Carry my sword.
I won't need it
Anymore.

Find me a sky
And give me my wings.
Frozen and broken,
But free.

And tell them I'm all right,
I'm coming home.
Tell them I'm all right.
I am alone.

This war is over.
I'm coming home.

Take off my shame
Bury it low
I won't need it
Anymore.

Find me the sun
And give me it whole
Melt all the chains
In my soul.

And tell them I'm all right,
I'm coming home.
Tell them I'm all right.
I am alone.

This war is over.
I'm coming home.

Take off my pain
Carry me slow
I won't fight here
Anymore.

Tell them I'm all right,
I'm coming home.
Tell them I'm all right.
I am alone.

This war is over.
I'm coming home.





Return to the Academy