Learning Curve, Conclusion

by Ri

 

Sandy, Rickie, Kelly and Pete were in the girls office when Veba entered the room after the settling the sleepy puppy down for the night.

“How’s the Munchkin?”

“She is fast asleep. She is very tired. I put her in bed and closed the door. Did you…um, show Sandy that horrible note?” Veba’s face had gone from sweet and loving to extremely angry in seconds.

“Not yet Sweetheart, come here,” Veba went into loving arms that were open and waiting for her. Rickie hugged her close and then pulled back and kissed her love tenderly.

The rest waited with respectful affection. When they pulled back Kelly asked quietly, “Shouldn’t we show Sandy the note?”

Sandy read the note and then looked at the tall brunette. “What do you think, Veba?” Sandy had heard from Clark how insightful the beautiful woman was.

“I think he was happy to hurt Clark. I hate him…I really do!” Her voice was a low growl and she gritted her teeth she was so mad she wanted to go out and the beat the bad man up.

“I know Darling, so do we.” Rickie tenderly brushed the hair from the beloved face and caressed her cheek. Veba closed her eyes feeling deeply comforted by the caress. “I think Sandy wants to know if you get any ideas from the note.”

Blue eyes blinked open and Veba shook her head. “No, I am too mad. I have to calm down first.”

They looked at the note which was again in pink.

Darling, One protecting pest gone. Now I only have to remove a few more and we can be together. I will be at your side again. I am ashamed that I didn’t kill him. I hate and despise anyone who comes between us. I want that whole bunch gone.  I will remove you from that unhealthy home and we will be together forever. I promise you.

“We have stopped all deliveries to the house. We also set up a perimeter out side with a surveillance team all over the area so the house and even the block are all protected.” Said Pete softly knowing how upset they all were.

“I didn’t see anything,” said Sandy surprised.

Kelly smiled and said, “That’s the way its suppose to be.”

“I just want to make sure were all safe,” said Rickie anxiously.

Veba was hugging Rickie tightly her eyes were closed and her cheek was resting against Rickie’s soft hair. Veba’s eyes blinked open and met Sandy’s. Veba smiled sweetly and asked quietly, “How is Clark feeling?”

“You’re asking how he is really feeling instead of what he said, right?”

Veba’s smiled brightened slightly and she nodded. “Yes, he is just like my Rickie. He will not say if he hurts either.”

Rickie pulled back and said, “Hey, I do not.”

Veba chuckled and kissed her cheek, “I love you very, very much but you are a very stubborn woman.”

“You love me anyway, huh?” Rickie kissed Veba’s nose and smiled at Veba’s cat-like reaction as she rubbed her nose in response. Then she kissed her passionately.

Veba was purring now as they pulled back for air saying softly, “Forever, no matter what…”

Rickie nodded and said, “And I love you forever too.” Then she pulled her to her kissing her again with a deep need.

“Oh for God’s sake get a room,” Said Doris from the doorway.

Rickie and Veba went to her at once. The poor girl had bags under eyes and it was obvious she had no rest since Clark had been stabbed.

“I thought you were trying to sleep?” asked Rickie very gently.

Doris came in and sank into a chair, “I can’t sleep.”

“But Dory, you must sleep you will get sick.” Veba said softly gently rubbing her back.

“I try Sweetie, I just keep ripping out of sleep from horrible nightmares.”

Sandy went to the exhausted woman taking her hand, “Come on I have some non addictive sleeping herbs. You’ll sleep like a certain puppy.”

“You just happen to have it?” Asked Doris with a slight smile.

“It’s for me. I am married to an FBI agent and I have three lively children I have to do something to ease all that stress.” Sandy helped Doris up and gently led her out of the office. Kelly and Pete followed. They were going to check all the alarms.

Veba leaned her head against Rickie’s shoulder, “Sandy is such a sweet, smart lady.”

“Yep she is the perfect wife for Clark. She has loads of patience but she doesn’t take any crap.”

“Hmm, I could learn a lot from her.”

“You don’t have too. You’re just like her, my love.”

****                            ***                              ***                              ***

For the third night in a row a series of piercing screams shattered the peace of the night.  Three heads popped up. Veba scooped up Lari and joined Rickie as she ran toward Dory and Stevie’s room. They were met at the door by Sandy, Kelly and Pete.

Doris was sitting up in bed trying to catch her breath. Stephanie had been taking naps during the day so she could be there for her love at night.

Veba gently handed the puppy to Rickie and sat on the edge of the bed taking Doris’s hand. “Can you tell me about what happened to scare you?”

Doris was still very scared her red-rimmed hazel eyes met sweet loving blue. She nodded and said in rough voice, “I saw a man…only his back.  He was trying to stab Rickie, she pulled away and he came toward me. I screamed again as he tried to put hands around my neck and…and…they were dripping in blood.”

“Where were you?”

“The parking lot in school.”

“You are safe here Dory. He will not hurt you here.”

“How do you know that Veba?” Her voice was full of fear and she was crying again.

“All your dreams are at the parking lot in school, Dory.”

“But Veba these are only dreams…”

Your fear is real and it is not here Dory. You are safe. Please go to sleep you need it.”

“No…I can’t…”

“Yes, you can Love,” Said Stephanie sweetly.

“No!”

“Sis, I know you can.” Rickie put Lari in Dory’s hands and the puppy licked the beloved face making the upset woman smile. “Lari can keep you company.”

“I’d squish her,” said Doris with a slightly wider smile as she petted the puppy’s soft ears.

Lari happily licked Doris hands and tried to climb up Doris chest. Sandy sat on the other side of the bed she said, “Doris take another dose; it’s been four hours.”

“Isn’t that too much,” asked Stephanie worried.

“No she can take more if there is separation. She needs to get some sleep. I’ll get you a half dose.”

Stephanie whispered to Rickie, “I don’t want her to get addicted.”

Rickie gently touched her arm and said, “It’s an herb called Kava-Kava it’s harmless. I have taken it myself.  Sandy wouldn’t hurt her.”

Kelly and Pete went back to their monitoring systems. Sandy came back with pills and some water.

Rickie and Veba moved back from the bed with Lari cradled in Veba’s arms.

“Sandy come have a chat with us before you go back to sleep.” Sandy nodded and Rickie smiled slightly she took her loves arm and led her family back to their room.

                        ***                  ***                  ***

When they got back to the room they settled on the bed with Lari cuddled on Veba’s lap. Veba gently stroked Lari’s ears, she didn’t look up as she asked very quietly with obvious worry in her voice, “Do you think Stevie will leave Dory?”

“They are going through a tough period, but you know that we have too.”

Veba nodded.

Sandy knocked. After Rickie let her in, she explained Veba’s concern to her. She sat on the bed and gently lifted Veba’s chin. Teary blue eyes met the compassionate eyes of the older woman who asked, “When you and Rickie were going through a tough period did you ever consider leaving her?”

“No, never!”

“No, I could never leave my Baby either, I love her too much,” said Rickie passionately still leaning against the door to their bedroom.

Veba looked at Rickie. The tear-stained face called the blonde woman to her in an instant. Rickie pulled Veba into a hug, then Veba looked over Rickie’s shoulder and asked softly, “Why did you ask that, Sandy?”

“I think that their love is as powerful as yours and I know they are going through a very bad storm but I think they will make it through. Their love is very deep. My real concern is Dory’s health. She is allowing that creep to make her sick.”

“Yes, I know. We’ve all talked til we were blue in the face about it.  She knows intellectually that she shouldn’t but emotionally…” Rickie’s voice trailed off. Veba kissed her on the forehead and Lari licked her chin.

“When I had my nightmares they did not stop til my step father killed himself. When he was gone I felt safe. He killed my parents and my uncle…I…”

“Sweetheart are you saying that this won’t stop til we get this jerk?”

Veba nodded. She brought up the puppy and rubbed her tear-stained cheek against the soft fur. Lari enjoyed that, she happily licked the salty tears making the upset woman smile a bit.

Rickie shook her head and said, “Lari, come here let me take care of your Mommy.” She gently took the pup kissed her on the head then handed her to Sandy.  Sandy took the little girl onto her lap turning her over and tickling her tummy.

Rickie pulled her beloved in a tight hug and said, “We’ll finish this. We will protect our family. Dory is going to be ok.”

“I hope so, I am so worried.”

“I know Sweetheart, we are stronger then that bastard is. We will be ok.”

Veba nodded against Rickie’s shoulder then she asked, “Rickie is there a way to follow the email back to this bad man?”

Rickie pulled back and looked into intelligent blue eyes that were full of several emotions, worry, anger, fear and love. “Yes I think so. Why?”

“I do not want this bad man to attack us anymore. I want to attack him.” said the beautiful brunette angrily.

Rickie nodded, she agreed with Veba, “Sounds good but how?”

“Is there a way to find out where they are coming from? I think we need to find and let this man know who he is playing with.” Veba now looked like a powerful avenging Goddess. Sandy was amazed at the transformation she was glad that Veba was on their side.

***                              ***                              ***                              ***

A young man knocked on the front door and Kelly answered it.  She smiled saucily and said, “Hey Mike! I’m glad they dug you out from under your comic books for this.”

“Very funny beautiful. How are you? How’s the boy genius.”

“Shut up, they are all waiting for you in the back of the house.”

Kelly led the handsome Native American to the girls office.   Pete smiled, “Hey Mike old boy I’m glad it’s you they sent.”

“That’s what you beautiful friend said.  They said you needed a cool cat.”

Veba looked at Rickie completely lost by what they were talking about.  “It’s just teasing, Love.”

“Oh?”

Pete smiled affectionately at the beautiful brunette, “Veba this is Mike Littlefeather. He’s one of our top agents and a very talented hacker.”

“Hacker?”

Mike smiled charmingly at the tall woman, “Wow, are you gorgeous. What Pete means is that I am good at working with computers.”

Rickie slid in front her wife and said with wicked grin, “Hi Mike, I’m Rickie this is my wife Veba. She is very bright in fact she is a genius; your boss is trying to steal her services…”

“He is not!” Veba said behind Rickie slipping her arms around her loves stomach. 

“Can’t blame him.”

“Mike lay off Veba,” said Sandy from the doorway.  “Clark wouldn’t like it.”

“I am just admiring all the beautiful women. I adore you Sandy.”

“He’s harmless girls, really. Mike get cracking.”

Mike chuckled got out his laptop and got to work.

***                              ***                              ***                              ***

Rickie found Veba lying on their bedroom floor playing with Lari.

Rickie closed the door again and sat on floor by Veba, “What are doing in here love?”

“That man makes me…um…”

“Nervous?”

Veba bit her lower lip and nodded.

“Because he flirted with you?”

Veba put her head against Lari’s furry body and rubbed her cheek as she whispered, “Yes.”

“Well my Darling, I keep telling you how beautiful you are now you have proof of it. To put your mind at ease the man is just a flirt. He’s really sweet and he is upset he hurt your feelings. He is already on the trail of the stalker. We will need you soon.”

Veba looked up from Lari and met loving green eyes. She took a deep breath and nodded. “Ok. He does not mean what he says then?”

“No. He meant that you’re very beautiful. He just didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. He knows you are very taken. I spoke to him and he promises not to do anything to scare you away again.”

“He does?”

“Yes, he thinks your beautiful but recognizes how smart and valuable you are. He just can’t help but react to your looks.”

“That is why I came in here. None of the other men we know do what does to me.”

Rickie smiled softly and said, “My Sweet, most men love to flirt with pretty women. It’s playful and natural unless they touch you there is nothing wrong with it.  Pete thinks you’re pretty too.”

“He does? He never even looks at me…”

“That’s because he’s shy and you’re beautiful…”

“Rickie…”

“Sweetheart, put the baby in her bed and come here.”

Veba tenderly kissed Lari and placed her gently in her bed. Then she stood up and walked to the bed standing beside Rickie. Rickie looked up and patted the space beside her. As soon as Veba was beside her she pulled her love to her and kissed her deeply and passionately.

Then she pulled back and said, “I know that I am the only person your in love with and I hold that to my heart as a special gift. That said, I have to tell you that no matter what you think, other people are going to notice how drop dead gorgeous you are. They would have to be dead not to. As long as you don’t return it and its no more than flirting it really doesn’t bother me.”

“I do not return it. It does bother me. I only want you to think I am beautiful.”

“I do. I am so proud of you. You’re so special. I love you so deeply that I know in my heart that no one could take you from me and so I know that a little flirting won’t hurt us. Mike is nice guy; I like him. I think if you give him chance you will too.”

“Well…if you think he is nice…I love and trust you…I will try, Rickie…Love, and he will not try to…um…?

 “Touch you disrespectfully?”

Veba nodded sucking her lower lip.

“No, He won’t. He’s a playful pup like our Lari. Flirting is his way of playing. He’s flirted with all of us. It’s just his way. I think you will feel ok in the office.”

“Ok Rickie, I will try.”

Rickie kissed her and rubbed noses with her making her smile. “That’s my girl.”

****                            ***                              ***                              ***

Rickie led Veba back into their office. Veba was holding tightly to Rickie’s hand as she looked at the others through her long eyelashes.

Sandy came over to her shy friend and put a gentle hand on her shoulder, “Don’t worry Veba. Mike will be good; he promised me.”

Mike looked over at Veba and nodded, “Hi Veba. I promise I won’t scare you away again.”

“Hi Mike. I was not comfortable with you but you did not scare me.”

“I just say what I think but I didn’t mean anything disrespectful.”

“I know Rickie told me…I love my Rickie only…um I can be your friend though.” She held her hand out to shake his; Mike smiled and gently took her hand shaking it looking very relieved.

“I’d like to be your friend, Veba. You’re a very special person from what all your family has just told me.” He smiled at her in a friendly way.

“Ok, now that were all friends again tell Veba and Rickie what you found out,” said Sandy softly.

Veba sat on her chair, Rickie sat on the corner of their desk her fingers entwined with Veba’s. Their complete attention was on Mike.

“I back tracked the encrypted message through several lines and I traced it back to the school.”

“That means it could be anyone at the school,” said Veba softly.

“Yes, but I did some hacking and I found out who’s password was used, and then traced that. It does belong to your class, some creep named Bart.”

Veba looked shyly at Rickie; her face reflected the shock she felt, “You were right, huh?” Rickie asked Veba very softly.

“He was on my list of bad people.  Do you know where he lives, Mike?”

“I can find it.”

“Love, what are you plotting in your brilliant mind?”

Veba’s face reflected her anger. She was also aware that it was not in her to be a vindictive person. “I want to make him think twice before he hurts our family again.”

“You’re going to try and scare him?”

Angry blue eyes met just as angry green, “Yes I am.”

Rickie smiled grimly, “Good my Darling, very good. So am I.”

                        ***                              ***                              ***                              ***

Veba was petting her puppy on the couch her expression was deeply thoughtful.  Lari was relishing the loving attention.

Rickie saw the expression on her loves face and approached the couch.

She sat on the arm of the couch putting her arm around Veba’s shoulders.

“Is Lari helping?”

Veba smiled at her and nodded, “Yes, she is so sweet, so comforting…I really am glad we have her now.  Is that wrong?”

“You mean your playing with her when you’re upset?”

Veba nodded, rubbing her cheek against Lari’s soft fur.

“No. All she knows is that you love her and your playing with her and she knows she is making you feel good, so that’s a good thing…”

“Rickie, am I bad?”

“Bad?”

Veba swallowed and nodded.

“Why would you ask that?”

“I want to make that man pay for what he did to Dory and especially Clark. I want him to suffer for every moment of pain he has brought to my family.”

“No, cause I’d be bad too. I want that son of bitch to rot in jail forever…”

“I can’t stop hating him…I am very scared I will become bad.”

Rickie pulled Veba closer and kissed the top of her head, Veba gently put the puppy on a pillow and then pulled Rickie onto her lap.  She then kissed her love passionately. Lari decided she wanted in on the fun and went onto Rickie’s lap crawling up between the two women. They both pulled back giggling at the puppy’s antics. Rickie settled the puppy on her lap and then said, “Looks like our baby has our curiosity.” Veba smiled and played with the soft ears of the tiny puppy. Rickie gently caressed her loves face and said, “Sweetheart you are too good and kind to be turned into a bad person. Just worrying about it shows what good soul you are. You see a bad person wouldn’t give a damn.  To me you are an angel.”

“No, I’m not… I just want you to be proud of me.”

“I am. You’re such a special person…”

“No Rickie you are…”

They were about to kiss again, when Lari stuck her head between them trying to get a lick in herself. “You really want in on the fun, you little stinker.”

Veba chuckled and kissed her puppy on the nose, “She is such a good girl, isn’t she?”

“Hmm, no not good; she’s lovable, sweet, charming, adorable…”

“You do love her? Don’t you?”

“Yes, I do. I just love you more.”

“I love you the most too.”

“Do you want to have our baby talk now?”

Veba looked at her through her long black eye lashes, “Not yet, I think we should make sure that everyone is safe first.”

“We will talk though…?”

“Ok.” Veba looked up at her, her eyes were glowing. Do you?”

“Yes, I sure do.”

“Oh really? I am so glad.”

“Yeah, I am very glad we will talk about it I think it’s very important.”

“I do too.”

***                                          ***                                          ***                              ***

Veba was writing in a note book, her school books all around her. She was deeply concentrating. She had school the next evening and unlike her usual custom she had not touched her homework.

Lari came trotting up to her Mommy and plopped herself right into middle of the books that Veba was studying.

Veba smiled and picked up her puppy saying, “No Sweetheart, Mommy has to finish her home work.”

She kissed her on the head and settled her on her lap.

Then she continued to work on her homework.  Rickie smiled, “What are you doing, my Sweet?”

“My history homework. Did you finish it?”

“Yep, I finished it. I still have to work on my essay for Poly Sci.”

“I finished that, I am working on my History essay. I am still confused by the Alamo thing.  Were we the ones who started it or not?”

“It depends on whose side you’re on, which contingent did she assign you?”

“I am to write from the view point of the protectors.”

“I think it was 50-50, but if you write from the protector’s perspective then the Spanish started it.”

“So why is it like that? Why is it 50-50?”

“Because it really depends on how you look it. There are more ways to look at it than that. There are actually hundreds of angles in an armed conflict.  May I see what you have so far?” She asked snuggling next to Veba and tickling Lari on the belly.

Veba looked nervous as she handed it to Rickie.

“Why are you so worried? This is very good so far…All you have to do is tie all the loose ends and put it in your summation.”

“Yes. I am trying to be fair and I can’t tie it up. It’s…um…”

“Biased?”

“Um…?”

“Prejudice?”

Veba nodded, “Yes I do not want to be prejudiced, but I do not want to misquote it either.”

“Ok, when you tie it up use the prospective of the protectors.  Then when you sum it up use your own stating that it is your opinion.”

“Thank you,” Veba pulled Rickie close, “Perfect.” She whispered in her ear before she nibbled it. Then she kissed her passionately. When she pulled back she picked up her notebook and busily started writing.

Rickie smiled at her love affectionately and picked up Lari, “Come on Munchkin your Mommy is busy getting another A.”

                        ***                              ***                              ***

The family came home from school. Sandy had a book in her hands when she looked up to greet them.

Veba smiled at her and asked softly, “Where’s Lari?”

“She’s pooped. I put her to bed.”

Veba nodded and went to their room to see the little girl. The others plopped on the couch.

“Is Mike still working on Veba’s idea?” asked Rickie curling up on the end of the couch very tired.

“Yep he and Pete have been your office all night.”

“Any progress?”

“I’ve no idea. I’ve not heard a peep from them all night.”

“How’s Clark?” Asked Dory, she was curled up in one of the easy chairs with Stevie.

“Much, much better. He wants to leave now, but the doctor did some more tests so he has to wait til tomorrow.”

“Great!” Said Veba happily as she reentered the room and cuddled next to Rickie.  “Lari was very good. She didn’t do anything at all. I just took her outside; the poor little thing really had to go.”

Rickie kissed Veba on the top of the head getting a happy purr in response.

“Did you give her a treat?”

“Um…yes….”

“How many?”

“Uh…five…”

“Veba!” Rickie pulled back shocked.

“She was a very good girl.”

“Yes, but five of them?”

“She deserved something…”

“You are so spoiling that pooch…”

Veba looked worried, “Sorry Rickie.”

Rickie smiled and kissed Veba tenderly,”It’s ok Sweetheart, she was a good girl. It was her first time with no accidents. Two is more then enough though.”

Veba put her head on Rickie’s shoulder, “I know.” Sighed Veba, “She was just so good and she wanted more and she looked up at me with those sweet eyes…”

“It’s like holding her all the time and feeding her scraps. It may be what she wants but it’s not good for her.”

“Ok Rickie.” Veba cuddled her cheek into the warm shoulder as she sighed again.

“I love you Mommy Veba.”

Veba suddenly smiled in reaction, “I love you too Mommy Rickie.”

“Yuck, that is way too much sweetener for me,” said Dory with a smile.

“Shut up, Sis.”

“That’s the first time you said that to me in a while. I must be getting better.”

“You are Love,” said Stephanie kissing the top of her head.


”You look much better Dory. How do you feel?” asked Veba.

“Thanks to all of you I feel much better. Especially since nothing happened tonight.”

Pete came into a living very tired but happy. “Mike wants all of you to come to the office. He has Veba’s little message for the perp ready to go.”

                        ***                              ****                ***

“Ok, I sent it,” Mike said looking at the people gathered around him.

“Good,” said Rickie with an evil grin.

“Do you think it will work?” asked Veba quietly.

“Well it may not stop him but it will slow him down,” said Pete quietly.

“I think it might scare him but not stop him,” Sandy said thoughtfully, “Not someone this obsessed, he will keep coming.”

“That’s what I am scared of. I wonder?” Veba looked at Kelly thoughtfully, “Is this man being watched?”

“Yes, we put a team on him as soon as we found him?”

“Can we not set a trap?”

“What kind of a trap, Veba?” Asked Dory.

“I am not sure, but now he knows we know I want him to feel upset. Like he is being watched. If he feels like he’s being watched by the FBI maybe he will get scared and make a mistake.”

“So you want our guys to be visible?” asked Pete.

“Yes, but I want to be more than that. I want you to ask him questions. I want him to feel like he is a suspect.”

“He is,” said Kelly.

“Well with that note and the FBI, he will feel very nervous,” said Rickie.

“I want him to be more than scared. I want him to be terrified. How can we do that?” Veba’s mind was moving fast as she tried to figure it out her eyebrows furrowed and she tapped her finger on the arm of the chair.

Rickie kissed her cheek, “You’ll think of something.”

“Why?”

“Cause you’re a genius.”

“Rickie?”

“You are. We can prove it can’t we, Dory?”

“Yes, lay off her Rickie. She is turning as red as a beet.”

“I think she looks beautiful,” said Rickie then she kissed her on her neck and nibbled her ear licking the rim with a satisfied moan.

“Rickie?” said Veba in a throaty voice her eyes closed.

“Come on Love. I think we need some inspiration.” Rickie took her hand led her out of the office.

“They are so cute,” said Sandy affectionately.

“It is inspiring,” whispered Kelly her eyes lifting to look at Pete.

***                  ***                              ***                              ***

Sandy brought Clark to the girls place. He smiled sheepishly at his hero’s welcome.  He was brought directly into the guest room which had a “Welcome Back” sign and Lari was placed on stomach. She licked his hands welcoming him home knowing how much her Mommies loved him.

Clark was a bit embarrassed but he joked, “I guess I should get stabbed more often…”

“That’s not funny, Clark,” His wife chastised him gently slapping his arm.

“Sorry Darling. How are the kids?”

“Fine, they are all relieved that you’re ok. They wanted to come out but I told them you’d want them to finish out their school year and you’ll be coming home soon.”

“As soon as we nail that asshole.”

“Veba has an idea on that subject,” said Doris proudly.

“What’s your idea, Tiger?”

Veba laughed and rolled her eyes at the silly nick name that Clark insisted on calling her. “I asked Pete and Mike to send the bad man a message that let him know we know who he is and where he is.”

“We set up a surveillance team to watch the suspect. Hopefully the combination will make him nervous enough to make a mistake.” said Kelly quietly leaning against a wall by the door.

“I want to be in on this,” growled Clark.

“Clark,” said Sandy in warning tone.

Rickie tilted her head and smiled at her old friend, “I think I have a way that you can and still not leave this bed.”

“How?”

Rickie chuckled, “Let it percolate a bit before I tell you.”

                        ***                              ***                              ***                              ***

Veba was working on her homework for her speech class and Rickie was working on some logistics for her plan at their partner’s desk in their office.

Blue eyes glanced up from her paper to the busy blonde, “Rickie?”

“Yes, Love?”

“Are you sure we will be ready before he tries something?”

“Yep.  He was very careful even when he stabbed Clark. There was no panic every move is slow and careful. If he tries something it will be at school after or during the computer class.”

“Yes. I do not think he will attack here. All Dory’s fears are centered at school. Um…Sweetheart…. your plan is very complicated.”

Rickie looked up and smiled into the worried blue eyes. “It is but it will work.”

“I have faith in you. I am just worried that all the pieces will not be in place on time.”

“They will.”

Veba shook her head and said softly, “You are so smart.”

“Not as smart as you…”

“Yes you are…” Veba swiftly got up swept Rickie in her arms kissing her deeply.  “We are,” she whispered into her loves ear nibbling it as she carried her to their bedroom.

                        ***                  ***                              ***                              ***

The family separated after English class. They were all wearing set ups. Veba had made special arrangements with her speech teacher who accepted her homework packet and gave her another one with a worried look. She promised she would explain everything later and to her relief he nodded accepting her word.

She went to her post and waited for her Rickie’s plan to unfold.

Clark was in bed with a laptop and communications set on flat table that was made so it would fit over his stomach. Mike was sitting on the floor running his technical command post from his laptop. 

Sandy and Lari sat in a large comfortable chair that Veba had moved into the bedroom for her. That was Veba’s idea knowing that Sandy would want to be in there and not wanting her to be uncomfortable all night.

Veba, Pete and Kelly were in several spots outside of the classroom out of sight. There were other agents and a few police friends of Rickie scattered around too.

Veba and Kelly were in the Ladies Room watching the classroom through a small window. She had put her homework in Kelly’s car and walked quickly with her to their post.

Pete was in an empty classroom with a couple of other agents. They had a camera set up with the permission of the computer class professor they were watching inside the classroom for a high sign from Rickie or for trouble in any form. After the School Chancellor was presented with all the evidence he became very cooperative with what they were requesting.

The nervous suspect entered the classroom. He didn’t look at anyone. He went straight to his monitor and waited for the class to begin. The professor entered. He was in on Rickie’s plan and had been very helpful and cooperative since Dory got her first note here in his classroom. He was very worried about Dory and her sister.

Rickie sat quietly waiting for their first break to put her plan into action.

As they waited, Kelly asked Veba, “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” her eyes never leaving the classroom across the way but her voice was gentle.

“Did you know right away that you loved Rickie?”

“Yes.”

“How?

“That is a very hard question, Kelly.  I…felt in my tummy.  I just wanted to hold her forever.  She made me happy for the first time in long time. She made me feel safe; I had not felt that way since my father died. I felt so sad when she left me and so very happy when we were together that I knew I loved her.”

Kelly nodded looking down at her own shoes. Then she asked in whisper, “Did you feel her love for you right away too?”

Veba shook her head no. She looked at Kelly with honest blue eyes, “No, I am not like you.” Her eyes went back to the Classroom but she continued explaining quietly. “At that time I did not live like you do…I did not know how people acted.  I only knew a few things from magazines and comic books. I remembered how love felt from when I was little girl but that is not the same. I heard tiny bits of conversation from time to time but like Rickie said it was not enough to understand speech. That is why I speak so badly.”

“You don’t Veba, really.  I think you speak very well better than I do in fact.”

Veba chuckled and shook her head, “No. I speak slowly. I do not know a lot of words. I am getting better. I read a lot. My professor says I am doing well in my speech class.”

“I think you’re great. Everyone does.”

Veba blushed and looked her saying softly, “Thank you, Kelly.” She looked back out the window and said with a wide grin, “I think Pete loves you too.”

Kelly’s eyes widened, “How did you know?”

“I listen to people and watch how they act. Rickie says it’s a talent. I don’t know how I do it. I just do,” said Veba with a slight shrug of her shoulders.

“It is a talent. A special one. Yes, it’s Pete. How did you tell…” Clark’s voice broke in to her words from their ear pieces,  “They are calling break, get ready. Remember don’t move til I say so.” Putting a cautious hand on Veba’s well developed bicep.

“I know…but Kelly, I will do what I have to protect my family. Don’t be mad at me.”

                        ***                              ***                              ***                              ***

Rickie nodded at Stephanie who nodded back. She took Dory’s hand and led her quickly out of the classroom.  The room quickly emptied of students which was not unusual most left to get a snack, go to the bathroom or smoke. 

Rickie approached the man who was torturing her family with very angry green eyes. “So did you get our note?” She growled.

His head snapped up to meet icy green eyes that seared into his black ones. “What note?”

“Our note telling you that you won’t be able to fulfill your little fantasy, Sicko!”

“I…you….your CRAZY!”

“No, we both know who is crazy and it isn’t me.  Let me make this clear. My Sister is not at all interested in you and never could be. Even if we all disappeared she would still spit in your face. So leave her alone or face the consequences.”

“Back off now. Rick.  He is too close to you damn it,” growled Clark into her earpiece.

“I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about you little Bitch. Leave me alone or I promise you will be sorry.”

“Listen Bart. I know where you live. I know where you work. I know what your car you drive and what the car payments are. I’m a detective. As soon as you started to harass my Sister I dug you out.   No one torments my Sister and gets away with it.”

“I am not….I couldn’t….I love her.”

“You have lost it. You don’t know her, she doesn’t know you…”

“She’s been corrupted by you and your sick friends. She just thinks she’s in love with that red headed slut. She’s just got to see the light…”

“Rick back up now. He’s got a knife he just pulled it out of his pocket,” yelled Clark.

The crazed man suddenly lunged at her with the knife. She held up her English book and deflected the strike. The knife fell to the ground and skids under a desk.

Rickie put her foot over it and he yelled, “Get the fuck off my God damned knife!!!”

“I do not think she will,” said Veba from behind them her voice as soft as a kitten’s purr but she looked as dangerous as a panther.

He looked up and up til he met icy blue eyes in a set angry face. Kelly and Pete were on both sides of her with their guns drawn. Pete pulled Rickie back, her book falling to the ground breaking all the pages scattering around the room like butterflies. All eyes were on Veba and Bart. Veba had picked up the knife and now they were just standing their staring each other down.

“Veba…Tiger, give the knife to Kelly and back off, please.”

“No Clark. I will not back off,” she answered her friend aloud and suddenly turned and kicked the surprised man in the gut. She held the knife and growled, “Is this knife you used to stab our friend?”

He coughed and looked at his enraged attacker, he’d never been on the receiving end before and he was scared but he wouldn’t let this dyke stop him from getting the woman he loved. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Someone pull this crazy broad away from me.”

“I do not believe anyone here thinks that I am crazy.”

“Sweetheart please pull back now,” Clark pleaded, he was afraid he might have a gun.

“No Clark, I am not done.” She looked down at the man. Instead of going back she went forward. Rickie started toward her love but Pete held her back. Kelly was readying herself to protect Veba if the man tried anything that the tall woman wasn’t prepared for.

“I am not crazy. I am not in love with someone who does not know me, who does not talk to me or even looks at me. I am not the one who has been threatening innocent people. I am not the one who broke into our car and stabbed an FBI agent…”

“FBI?!?”

“Yes, you are a very dangerous man. I will not let you hurt my friends and family anymore.” She had been backing him up by threatening him with his own knife; he suddenly stood up and jumped out the closed window.  Glass scattered everywhere. Rickie pulled out of Pete’s arms and ran to Veba pulling her back. She carefully checked Veba to make sure she wasn’t cut. When she was sure she was ok, she pulled her into her arms and held her tight.

She heard Clark, “Get the subject he’s most likely armed and badly cut.”

“Veba Honey, what were you thinking? He could have had a gun! He could have shot you!” Rickie cried as her hand tenderly rubbed her loves back.

“I…I was mad…I wanted him to know how mad I was. Do you think that was the knife he stabbed Clark with?”

Rickie pulled back and looked at it. “It could be. It looks like the same from the footage on the tape.”

“He’s in the parking lot,” yelled one of the agents. Both Veba and Rickie heard it from their earpieces. Veba tried to gently slip out of Rickie’s strong arms. “Oh no you don’t, remember our discussion. We think of each other before we jump into battle.”

“You didn’t…”

“So do as I say not as I do…”

“Rickie that is silly…”

“Sweetie stay here, for me. Pretty please?”

Veba looked deeply into her beloveds eyes and nodded.  She put the knife down on the desk and hugged Rickie tightly. They stayed there and waited for them to catch the man that Veba wanted so badly to hurt that her tummy ached.

                        ***                  ***                  ***                  ***

The suspect was shot to death in the parking lot. He got to his car pulled out a rifle and shot at the agents and police. He wounded two people but only the suspect was killed. The Agent and Policewoman were sent to the hospital with minor wounds.

Inside the trunk they found another note, several knives, a hand gun, and a laptop. The FBI had taken jurisdiction since Clark had been stabbed and took possession of all the evidence.  The note was to be left to Dory’s family and in the laptop; they found everything he had done  trail of all the notes he sent and all his plans and strategies. They raided his apartment and found it plastered with pictures of Doris. The pictures of the others girls were shredded and some had a fate that Clark didn’t think the girls needed to know about. His stomach twisted in anger as heard the report over the telephone.

When Veba came in to reclaim her baby she had a very angry agent waiting for her.

“What the hell were you thinking Veba? You’re suppose to be the calm reasonable one in this family.”

“Not when someone threatens it Clark. Rickie was in great danger. I did what I had to do to protect her. I warned Kelly that I would.” Lari licked her Mommy happily Veba pulled her puppy close, very happy to have her in her arms. “Was she a good girl Sandy?”

“Yes, she didn’t even have one accident; she mostly stayed with me and cuddled all day.”

“Oh, you’re a good girl aren’t you Love? Come on lets get your treats.” Veba left a flabbergasted Clark who looked at his wife with a funny flatfooted expression.

Sandy laughed, “You would have done the same thing Sweetheart and you know it. When family is threatened reason flies out the window.”

Clark laid back and closed his eyes, “Oh, I give up.”

Mike silently chuckled he closed up his laptop and left the husband and wife alone.

                        ***                  ***                              ***                              ***

Veba sat on the steps of the back porch watching Lari do what she had to do. Rickie came out and sat on the step next to her.

“Are you mad at me?” Rickie asked softly from the doorway.

“Me? I thought you were mad at me? You did not speak to me all the way home.”

“I was thinking.  I thought about what he had in that trunk what his intentions were, and what could have happened. I also thought about you saying that I didn’t think of you, of our family when I rushed into danger. I also thought about me almost getting stabbed, and you almost getting shot all because you were mad. I am very worried about us all Love.”

 “Why?” Asked Veba confused. Her eyes were clear but there was tension in the soft voice.

“How we both react to danger. We both rush toward it instead of away from it. Are we healthy? Sane?”

Lari trotted up to her Mommies and plopped into Veba’s lap panting. Veba smiled down and petted her ears as she said quietly to the puppy, “Good girl.” Then she looked at her wife and answered, “I think we love each other and our family passionately. We both love deeply and will do anything to protect each other. I think that is good. I think we care deeply about other people and have a deep need to protect the innocent. Yes, I think we are both healthy and sane, My Love.”

“Do you think we should have children since we do this?”

“Clark does.”

“He has Sandy; we have four hard-headed women.”

Veba smiled and pulled Rickie closer, and then kissed her tenderly. She pulled back and took a biscuit out of her pocket for Lari which she nibbled happily. “Yes, I have been thinking a lot about it and I think it will be good. We have a lot of love to give a child. We love and respect each other. With four of us our baby will always have a Mommy no matter what happens. It makes me feel safer about having a baby.”

Rickie shook her head and kissed her loves nose, smiling, “So you would like to have a baby?”

“Yes, very much.  I am only worried about what you feel.”

Rickie kissed Veba tenderly and confiscated the biscuits from Veba’s coat pocket as she reached inside to give Lari a third biscuit. She pulled back and smiled at Veba’s pout. She traced her lips and said, “Remember two is enough.” She pulled Lari so she was no on her back on both their laps and tickled her belly. She then replied softly to the question of the hour.

“I think you will be a great Mom. I have no doubt about that. I think your right about our protective instincts and all of us loving the baby. I just worry about me. I am so quick-tempered I think I will be a rotten Mom.”

“No you wouldn’t your wonderful with Lari…”

“Sweetheart, she’s a dog.”

“So. Love is love. That’s all that matters. You will love our baby even more than Lari and that’s a lot. I think you will make a wonderful Mommy.”

“I will love our baby with every last breath, just as I do you. I just wonder if its right.”

“Because of the danger?”

“Yes.”

“I…I do not know. I know my heart says yes, that it will be ok. I want a baby badly. I have for a while, ever since I knew I had your love I wanted to share that with a baby. My head sees all the stuff you have said but I think we can handle it. We are good loving people and we deserve a baby and more importantly, our baby deserves us.”

“You really think so?”

Veba nodded.

“You thought about this a lot haven’t you?

“Yes. Have you?”

Rickie nodded. Rickie looked at the puppy as she curled up on their laps very happy and contented. It would be wonderful to look at a baby curled up on our laps like this. And my Veba would be a great Mom.

“Ok my love lets do it.”

“Really?”

“Yes I want a baby so much I can barely breathe.”

Veba’s face lit up with the most beautiful smile. “Me too.” She hugged Rickie to her and kissed her passionately.

                                    ***                  ****                ***

Pete was cleaning up the equipment from the office when Veba came in she leaned against the door way just watching him for a few minutes.

“Hi Pete.”

Pete looked up surprised he thought she was having breakfast with the rest of the family.

“Hi, is everything ok?”

Veba nodded and smiled shyly. “Yes…um, have you talked to Kelly since you got back last night?”

“No, why?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Do you like her?”

Pete looked very surprised by the question, then he started to pack again as he replied quietly, “I don’t know what you mean.”

Reading the shy man very easily Veba smiled and said. “I know you like her Pete.  In fact I think you are in love with her, are you not?”

“Veba! What makes you say something like that?”

“Watching. I watch people to learn stuff. I have for a long time because I had no one to talk to so I watched people through peep holes in the building I lived in. I…I know I won’t see you again at least for a while…I know you love her so I thought I’d help.”

“Veba I…” He sat down in one of the desk chairs and then said in soft embarrassed voice, “I do have deep feelings for her. It doesn’t matter much though I have seen the men she goes out with and I’m not like them at all. She likes men like Clark, handsome and dashing. I’m not like that.”

“You do not understand Pete; those are the men that ask her out. That does not mean that she likes that type of man they are just the ones who ask her out.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Have you ever attempted to ask her out? Even for a cup of coffee after an assignment?”

Pete looked down and stared at his knees as he shook his head, “No, I never thought I was good enough for her.”

“And she thinks you don’t like her.”

“How do you know that?”

“I watch you; you look at her when she’s not looking at you. She would stare at you when you are looking at something else. I don’t know a lot but since I fell for Rickie I do recognize longing in a person’s eyes. I know you love her. Why don’t you just talk to her?”

“You don’t understand Veba; an Agent like Kelly wouldn’t like a nerd like me.”

“Why don’t you let Kelly make that choice?”

“I’m scared.”

“Of what?”

“Rejection.”

“I know how hard it is to go against your fears I do it all the time. The only thing you can do is take a deep breath and do it.”

“You are a very brave woman Veba.”

“So are you.”

“I know I will screw it up.”

“How can you screw it up if you never try? You will never be with the woman you love if you don’t talk to her about it. At least ask her out for a cup of coffee.”

Scared brown eyes met very compassionate blue and Pete nodded, “Ok, I’ll try.”

Veba smiled and nodded back, “That is all you can do.”

                        ***                              ***                              ***

Veba entered her room she looked in the doggy bed and smiled lovingly at the puppy fast asleep holding her new soft toy a fish that Sandy had gotten her as a going away present.

The shower turned off and Rickie came out wrapped in a towel and Veba met her half way to their bed. She wrapped her arms around the tall woman and Veba put her long arms around her shoulders.

“How did it go with Pete?”

“Ok, I think he will ask her out at least. It’s a step in the right direction,” said Veba as she began to kiss the naked shoulder that was right next her.

“Yes, he has to take baby steps.” Said Rickie closing her eyes and stretching her neck as Veba tenderly nibbled her at her pulse point.

“Mmm, you have to crawl before you can walk.” Then Veba started to suck on a tasty ear enjoying the deep moan she got in response.

“Ummm, Where…did…you …learn…that…” moaned Rickie starting to get distracted by the nibbles and kisses.

Veba pulled back slightly and said, “My mags.” Then she licked the rim of the ear causing Rickie to almost lose her ability to stand. It was all right; Veba caught her and cradled her in arms.

“That’s nice…” Rickie murmured forgetting what the hell they were talking about.

“Yes it is,” Veba whispered back she had dropped both of them on the bed and was now exploring the warm skin she loved so very much.

                        ***                  ***                  ***                  ***

Clark came into the girls office. He watched Rickie working diligently on the computer.  Then scribbling into a note book.  He had three weeks leave and he couldn’t wait to see his kids. He and Sandy were leaving that night and so he had to say good bye to his friends again.

“Hi, Veba said that you were in here working on something.”

“So you’re going home old man?” Rickie said as she put the notebook down and smiled up at her old friend.

“Yep.”

“Thank you Clark, you and Sandy were both extraordinary for us.  We really appreciate all you both did.”

Clark blushed shyly and cleared his throat, “Thanks String Bean. You know I care about you, Veba and your family.”

“I know. We love you too.”

“You know, you have gotten awfully mushy since you fell in love.”

Rickie merely shrugged and smiled.  She got up and hugged him tightly saying, “Yep.”

He hugged her back smiling. Then he pulled back pointing at the computer, “New case?”

“No, Veba and I have decided to start a family so I was doing some research.”

“That’s great! I am so proud of you.”

Rickie blushed and said, “Thanks.”

“So…till next time right?”

Rickie nodded. “Yeah, we’ll miss you.”

They hugged again; Clarke mussed Rickie’s already messy hair, and then left. Rickie walked quietly to the window and looked out at the back yard. She felt warm arms suddenly go around her waist and strong body against her. She smelled the wonderful scent of her wife and purred.

“You ok?” Veba asked nuzzling her head against Rickie’s soft hair.

“Yep.”

“The danger is over.”

“Yep.”

“Are we going to start a family?”

“Yep.”

Veba chuckled and kissed Rickie on the neck, and then whispered into her ear, “Are you going to say anything other then yep?”

“Later. Right now I just want to adjust.”

“To what?”

“Peace.”

“Oh? Ok,” Veba then scooped her up and carried her out of the office so she can help Rickie enjoy the new peace in private.

                                                The End?

 

 

Return to the Academy