The Nightmare

R. P. Martin

www.rpmartin.ca

mail@rpmartin.ca

Copyright © 2013 R. P. Martin

Part 5 of A Suitable Suitor Series

Part 1: Man of Her Dreams (complete)
Part 2: Waiting My Whole Life (complete)
Part 3: Walking Away (complete)
Part 4: The Stalker (complete)
Part 5: The Nightmare (complete)


 

After The Brick Crashed into the Window

The man in a dark hoodie stood there as still as possible watching his surroundings. He couldn't help but allow his pearly white teeth to be exposed into an unforgiving grin. His heartbeat raced knowing that he had really taken a risk in throwing a brick through Blake's living room window but it was well worth it he thought. He was glad that the police had arrived and caught Robert trying to leave the scene. He smirked and inhaled a few sallow breaths not yet able to calm his nerves. The last thing he needed was for the couple to realize the true identity of their stalker.

He tried not to make any kind of movements knowing that the area was being surveyed by a bunch of police officers. As hazardous as it was to stay in the area, he couldn't help himself but to stay put because it's where the love of his life was. He still wasn't really sure what Piper saw in the other woman anyway.

“She must be controlling you my love but don't worry, I'll fix that soon.”

No girlfriend of his was going to be under the spell of a lesbian, not if he had anything to do with it.

Piper

Once Bean had asked the artist to call the police, Piper immediately accepted, not hesitating or asking any questions. Thankfully the first responders didn't take more than a few minutes to get to Bean's house and by chance the police detective who was already following their case had arrived on scene a few minutes after.

“Hello Miss Jackson, are you alright?”

Piper was shocked by the events that had momentarily just unfolded but hadn't seen the police detective yet. When he spoke, she looked into his face and recognized him right away.

“I'm fine Detective Benisson.”

“And, what about Miss Beaner?”

Piper turned and looked into the guarded eyes of her partner as she motioned that she was alright and shrugged her shoulders not knowing what to make of the so called guilty look on Bean's face. All she could see was the speculative image of the picture that had been tangled around the brick. It blinded her from the obvious pain, worry and frustration that oozed from Bean's body language.

“Miss Jackson, do you know this man?”

“He's my ex-boyfriend.”

Piper didn't have the chance to finish what she was saying to James Benisson, the Special Victim Force detective, because Robert was already yelling out at the top of his lungs.

“I DIDN”T DO THIS PIPER! Come on, you know me.”

“Sir, this isn't the time for it. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will…”

“Please, I didn't do anything wrong. PIPER!”

Piper looked away not wanting to subject herself to the rest of whatever both Robert and the detective were talking about. She clearly knew Robert was up to no good but until that moment she questioned his motives and wondered if by chance Robert has just been caught up in the mix of all of this. She didn't have time to think about it too much as Bean captured her smaller frame in a swift motion. The artist found comfort in the taller body and longed to stay in the nook of her girlfriend's neck for the rest of her life despite the knots she felt deep in the pit of her stomach. The image in the picture couldn't be true could it?

“Leave me the hell alone. I didn't do this.”

“Sir, you are going to have to calm down.”

“I don't need to calm down, I didn't do this. You've got to wrong guy plus it's all that bitch's fault.”

“I've had just about enough Mr. O'Neil.”

The couple followed the two men outside and watched Detective Benisson place Robert in the back of his undercover cruiser. Later they found out that they had caught Robert in a tree just outside Bean's bedroom window. After all the commotion was said and done and the police had left Bean's private property, both exhausted women collapsed on the sofa.

“Are you ok babe?”

“I don't know Bean. This is becoming a little too much for me.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“I just feel like something is off.”

“Want to elaborate a little more?”

“Yes. I'm thrilled that Robert is going to jail tonight but he'll be out in the next few hours. Who knows what he'll do the next time? I just don't feel good about this situation, period.”

“I know what you mean. Something feels really strange about this whole thing doesn't it?”

“Exactly! I can't put my finger on it but something bizarre is definitely going on.”

“Well hopefully for tonight, we'll get some peace and quiet and that jerkoff won't get out of jail that fast.”

“What are we going to do Blake?”

Bean hunched her shoulders and looked into those terrified and shielded eyes. Piper felt better just having Bean there beside her but she was at a lost for what to do because the situation was simply overwhelming, unhealthy and downright frightening.

“I have no idea babe. Maybe we should think about talking to someone about all of this.”

“Uh huh.”

Piper thought about what Bean said and unconsciously dissected it. Hopefully the professionals would know what to do because Piper's gut feeling was that someone was still watching them. She quickly convinced herself that it was impossible because Robert was on his way to the police station but things weren't adding up. Piper hugged Bean needing that comfort she knew only her girlfriend, her protector could provide.

A little while later when the two looked away from each other and things had calmed, the tension re-appeared in the room as remnants of shattered glass sparkled off the floor reminding them of what had happened. They were out of harm's way but there was still something that needed to be discussed. Not only did Piper feel violated but she now had a nagging feeling in the back of her mind in regards to whether Bean had been unfaithful or not. She had never questioned the idea of fidelity before but now, she wasn't so sure. Piper looked at Bean again and she could tell something was bothering her girlfriend.

“Are you alright Blake?”

Piper watched the worry fill those amazing grey expressive eyes and wanted to die at the thought that she wasn't sure about Bean's actions. Their relationship was relatively new but she disliked the insecurity she was feeling right now. Her soul burned as the emotions painfully and obviously invaded the one person in her life that made her feel alive. She knew in that moment that the picture had to be a fake but she still needed to be sure.

“No, of course I'm not alright Piper. I see you looking at me right now and I know in my heart that you think I did this. I can feel it in my gut but there is absolutely no truth to that picture. There is nothing going on between Lisa and me. That's me kissing her cheek, but you know were good friends. How could you think I could do this to us?”

“I just had to be sure Bean. When I look at you now, I know deep down in my heart that you could never cheat on me.”

“Never in a million years. Lisa might be a good catch sure, but my heart belongs to you. It always has babe.”

Piper knew her girlfriend wasn't lying but still, she questioned the photograph. She wondered how Robert had been able to manipulate her into second guessing her love for Bean. She had never known Robert to be a whiz around the computer but then again, nothing fazed her now, especially with his latest fiasco.

“I didn't think Robert had that kind of ability.”

“Babe, I swear to you. There is nothing happening between Lisa and me. I promise.”

“I know handsome.”

“Oh please, don't look at me like that. I would never do anything like this. You've seen us hug and kiss before. She's like my little sister for crying out loud.”

“I'm sorry Blake. I don't mean to.”

“You doubt me, doubting in us and that is exactly what he wants.”

Piper could see that Bean wanted to say something else but something was stopping her. She wondered what it was but felt that it somehow had nothing to do with this situation. She knew Bean was right about the picture and knew there was nothing to doubt. It was perhaps human nature for her to suspect and question but she knew and trusted that her girlfriend wouldn't cheat.

“I believe that with all of my heart. It's just that this picture is quiet convincing.”

“I know. Why do you think I froze when I first saw it?”

“It made you questioned yourself too?”

“Of course it did. His editing is spot on. There is nothing going on between us but obviously that picture is misleading.”

Two Weeks Later

Hey there, good-looking.

Hey yourself.

What are you doing?

I just finished applying for a couple jobs. You?

Missing you.

I like the sound of that.

Not missing me?

More than you know. How's work?

Things have been quiet, for once. And I haven't heard anything from Robert.

Good.

I'm so glad it's the weekend. What do you have planned for us?

And what makes you so sure I have something planned?

You wouldn't be the Bean I know if you didn't.

LOL. True. I have a few things in mind but I'd love to be able to sleep in tomorrow. What do you think?

Mmmmm, that sounds like heaven. Lisa is watching the gallery for me this weekend so I'm all yours.

Perfect. Bring clothes for the entire weekend.

Piper genuinely smiled for the first time in the last two weeks. Although things had gotten back to normal, Robert always seemed to be in her thoughts. Now that things had settled down a bit, she felt like she was becoming more like herself. She didn't feel like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders and finally things were clicking back into place. More importantly her relationship was back on track.

You know Blake; at some point we will have to talk about me having space in your dresser again.

We will? I asked a while back but now was under the impression you weren't interested.

Oh, I'm interested. That was then and this is now and now, I insist.

You are something else you know that?

What do you mean?

Just when I think you can't take another step forward in our relationship, you do. I really thought you were distancing yourself.

It's about keeping you in check Bean!

J Dooley noted Miss Jackson. I'm all yours.

You better be.

I am babe, always. I'm not going anywhere. I couldn't even if I tried. I'm so whipped it's not even funny.

Now it's my turn to like the sound of that. J

Meet me at the house around 6?

Perfect. Bye handsome.

Bye beautiful.

xx

Piper picked up her paintbrush and finished the piece she was working on. She was meeting Lisa in a few hours to hand over the gallery keys. Her assistant was going to be managing the gallery so she could have a few restful days, which she planned on spending with Bean. She was excited about being with her girlfriend and hoped that finally they would take that intimate step. She craved the connection and longed for the touch. Her arousal spiked just thinking of Bean and before she knew what was happening, there was a slight knock at the door. Lisa entered. Piper blushed and briefly looked away not wanting her best friend and assistant to notice her rosy colored cheeks.

“Hey boss.”

“Hi. Is it that time already?”

“God, I hope so.”

“Ha ha, you're in a good mood. Any reason why?”

“I have a date this weekend.”

“Oh? Will it be too much to watch the gallery?”

“Of course not. It's not my first time taking care of the business Pipe.”

“True. So…are you going to tell me about this guy?”

“Well, he's certainly not as intoxicating as that devoted girlfriend of yours but he sure makes my heart flutter.”

The awkwardness over the picture between the two had long gone by now and Piper was helpless to watch the blush rush into her assistant's cheeks. Piper wondered if she herself still reacted like that towards Bean. When she saw Lisa's questioning look, she realized she no longer needed to think about it because when she thought of Bean, it reached every single cell in her body. She briefly looked away but not before both women chuckled at their behaviors.

“It appears we feel the same way about our dates.”

“Oh, are you seeing Blake tonight?”

“The entire weekend actually.”

“I'm so happy you guys got back together Piper.”

“So am I. There is something incredibly amazing about Bean. I can't stand being away from her. It's kind of scary how I feel but it's worth the risk you know?”

“Absolutely. It can't be easy realizing you are attracted to women.”

“That's the thing; I'm not attracted to all women. Blake is really something else. In high school, I had a few crushes but this time its life altering. Something has shifted inside me and well to be honest, my feelings for Bean are deeper than they have ever been.”

“That's wonderful.”

“It is. Alright, well I'm going to head out. My favorite person in the whole world is going to be home soon and I'd like to not waste any more time. Here are the keys. If you need anything, let me know. I'll have my cell or you can call Bean's.”

“Excellent, enjoy your weekend.”

“You too. Have a good date! Tell me all about it on Monday ok?”

“Will do Pipe. Bye.”

Piper waved and left the office. She quickly made her way to her BMW, got into it and was about to start the car when she saw a familiar face walk into the gallery.

“Huh, I wonder what he is doing here. Maybe Lisa is seeing him tonight?”

The artist smiled after remembering the blush that had crept into her assistant's face when talking about how she was going on a date. It seemed strange at first that Lisa would pick to go out with a guy like that but Piper soon distracted her thoughts with exactly what she was hoping would happen tonight at Bean's. She rummaged through her pursed and picked up her Blackberry.

Hi handsome.

Hey babe.

Do you need anything before I come over?

No thanks. You finished early?

Yes. Lisa is taking over and is locking up.

Good. I'm going to order pizza. Is that ok?

You don't feel like cooking? Baby, I can cook.

No. I'll cook tomorrow. Tonight, we both have better things to do.

We do, do we? And what's that?

Well I don't really know about you but I'll be busy making out with my girlfriend.

Busy making out with your girlfriend huh?

VERY BUSY!

Mmmmm, I love, love, love the sound of that.

Ditto!

See you in about 15 minutes.

Drive safe.

xx

The artist drove the streets while begging her heart to calm itself. She finally parked her beloved car and made her way to the front door but yelped when she was grabbed from behind. Her thoughts instantly darkened by the idea that finally Robert had captured her but when she felt those familiar hands around her waist, she closed her eyes and took a breath, willing her blood flow to slow. Piper didn't have time to say anything before she was thrown over Bean's shoulder and carried into the house and finally into Bean's bedroom. She laughed out loud, lightly kicked her legs. At the same time she continuously but nonchalantly punched her what she hoped to be soon lover in the back pretending to make a big scene so she could be let down. Piper however, secretly enjoyed Bean's playful manner and couldn't wait to see what her gorgeous hunk had in mind.

“Bean, why did you take me to your bedroom?”

“Why? Are you upset about it?”

“No. Actually I'm not upset about it at all.”

“Good because I'm hoping we won't leave this room until the morning.”

“Is that so?”

“I'm afraid so, if you can handle it of course.”

“I dare you!”

“I thought you would say that. I missed you Piper.”

“I missed you too. Come here you.”

Everything in the room fell silent except for the Bean's excited quick intake of breaths. Piper's heartbeat amplified to a point where she believed her blood was starting to boil. She briefly closed her eyes expecting Bean to kiss her fully on the lips but the kiss never came. When she opened her eyes, tilted her head up where she knew she would find those incredible grey eyes, everything in her life clicked firmly into place. She was sure about what she wanted, no matter how nervous and anxious she was. Bean's gaze melted her reservations and made her feel like the most important person in the world.

“I can't breathe when you look at me like that.”

“Do you have any idea how beautiful you are? Nothing I've ever seen in my life has ever come close to your beauty.”

“No more talking. Make love to me Blake.”

Bean leaned into the smaller frame in front of her and grinned when Piper's breath hitched. Piper felt like she was floating on air and the more Bean stared into her eyes, the more she felt light as a feather. This was something she wanted so badly and she just couldn't wait.

The couple had no problems taking each other's clothes off but for the first time, they both stood there in front of each other admiring what they had to offer one another. Piper couldn't get over how gorgeous the body in front of her was. Blake was a mass of purity, complexity and gorgeousness. Piper knew she could easily drown in the lines and curves that made Bean's body absolutely perfect. In that moment, Piper realized how flawless, in every sense of the word, Bean was.

As their naked bodies touched, Piper lost all sense of what was real. She had never experienced anything quite like it and for the most part as she allowed herself to be held in that intimate position, she believed in the power of love. Her resolves, stresses, problems, worries and responsibilities crumbled in a fraction of a second. All that she had ever known to be her truth had been a lie. Bean was her second half and she knew it. She knew they were meant for each other because as their bodies entangled into one, a feeling of ecstasy formed in Piper and she couldn't wrap her head around it. It was something she had always wished for but now it was a dream come true.

After walking her precious cargo to the bed, Bean softly placed Piper onto her back. Piper couldn't stop her beating heart from exploding as their bodies automatically reached for each other again. Piper wasn't sure what to do but reminded herself of what Bean had said the last time they had started to get close. She opened her legs to accommodate Bean's strong and thick hips. She was surprised by how perfect their bodies fit together. It was as if her core belonged to Bean and before that moment, she had never experienced true bliss.

Piper closed her eyes as Bean's abdomen slid against her belly. She lost her breath and felt the intensity flow between their bodies. She wondered how it was possible to literally feel Bean's fire cross over into her veins but she knew it to be true. It was a magical feeling and their lovemaking was only just starting.

“Am I hurting you babe?”

“No. You are exactly where you need to be.”

Bean

Bean wasn't really sure how far to go but it seemed that Piper was wanting and excited about going all the way. She knew the artist would be nervous but wasn't going to let anything or anyone get in their way this time. Bean was completely in love with this woman and being with her was incredible, like everything she had always hoped it would be. Before she started to kiss those amazing and inviting lips, Bean paused, taking in the beauty beneath her. Her soul melted and finally she was free from the walls she had protectively built for herself.

Bean kept repeating over and over in head that she loved Piper and felt the words just itching to come out. She froze at the passion she saw in her girlfriend's eyes and knew Piper deserved to hear the truth. She leaned in not able to keep her lips away from the mouth she had yearned for since meeting the artist in her art gallery. She smiled and before she could say anything to the gorgeous woman, she was pulled down to Piper's lips with two hands. She would tell Piper later how she felt. For now, if Piper knew her at all, she would know what Bean was trying to portray through her touch and actions.

When the women's kiss became too heated and the duo could no longer breathe properly from the intensity, they broke apart and looked into each other's eyes. Bean wasn't all that used to making love this way, but in her heart it was what she believed the two of them needed and desperately deserved.

Piper

Piper watched the soulful grey eyes turn a shade darker. She could almost taste the lust in her mouth. She felt the blood rushing to her core and instantly felt a twinge of pain in her inner most private area. Bean chose that exact moment to slide her body up a little more making sure that both their heated cores would be rooted to each other, transforming their bodies into one single large nerve ending. Piper couldn't believe how amazing it was to feel what she was feeling.

Bean slid back down and Piper couldn't keep her eyes open. She wanted to watch those eyes as they made love but the sensations of what Bean was doing to her just wouldn't allow her to keep them open. Bean started systematically moving her body up and down Piper's core, their connection growing by the second, the pressure gradually increasing with every thrust. The artist wondered how she could ever get this feeling on a painting but immediately stopped thinking when Bean's hand inched its way in between their bodies to the base of Piper's mound.

As their forms moved together in sync, Bean slowly entered Piper's hot canal. The extraordinary feeling was out of this world. Piper's heart pounded in her chest, her thoughts were blank and the feelings Bean was causing in her were simply unexplainable. Bean gradually pulled out of her channel only to re-enter.

They rocked back and forth in total perfect sequences. The more Bean plunged inside Piper the more the art gallery owner craved it. Bean's sweat poured down her face and onto Piper's chest as their lovemaking rapidly intensified. Just when Piper didn't think she could take anymore, Bean would push her deeper and deeper into the most mesmerizing places she had ever experienced.

When Bean finally pushed Piper over the edge to the point where her body grew rigid and stilled, Piper wept for the love she now realized she had always had for Bean. She knew without a doubt that Bean loved her and there wasn't anything or anyone in this world that could convince her otherwise. As Bean went to roll off of her, Piper stopped her in mid motion and pulled her back on top.

“That was so beautiful and amazing Blake.”

“Piper, you're breathtaking. That was…incredible.”

Bean finally rolled over onto her back but brought her lover with her. Piper comfortably made her way to her newfound favorite spot. She wrapped herself around Bean's body and laid her head on a strong shoulder. She didn't even have time to kiss the love of her life before falling into a deep sated sleep.

Saturday Morning

Piper stretched out her legs after getting out of bed. She could hear some noises on the main floor and wondered what Bean was up to at this hour. The sun was bright and shining through the blinds and Piper couldn't help but feel light, happy and stress free. It had been such a long time since she felt that way and she promised herself she would bask in being in love. She quickly put some clothes back on and started walking towards the staircase when she heard the voice of an unwanted guest.

“Where is she?”

“Get out of my house now.”

“I'm not leaving here without her. She's mine and that's final.”

“Get out of here before I call the police.”

The scared artist froze half way down the stairs when she realized that Robert was inside Bean's house. She knew it was his voice the second she started descending the stairs but everything in her hoped she was only dreaming. She cringed when she saw Robert approaching Bean. She knew very well that Bean could overtake the overweight man but she feared that Bean would get hurt in the process and that was something she wasn't prepared for.

Piper felt the cool liquid instantly warm her face as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Her blood simmered in anger and when she remembered what exactly was happening she pushed herself further to take the necessary steps to make it to the living room which is where the duo were arguing.

“What's going on? Robert, what in the hell are you doing here?”

“I came to get you. What do you think?”

“I'm not going anywhere. Please dear God, just leave me alone Robert.”

“I LOVE YOU! Don't you understand that?”

“I don't love you. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?”

Piper watched as Robert's eyes filled with tears. She could see the anger change into desperation and didn't like how swiftly he was capable of altering his mood. She automatically gravitated towards Bean and on impulse; Bean wrapped a protective arm around her waist. She still wasn't sure what Robert was going to do and wasn't confident that they were safe. They needed to get to a phone and call Detective Benisson.

The art gallery owner's frustrations radiated off her tense body. She felt like she could lose control at any time because she thought all of this was seriously over. She looked deep in the eyes of her lover and found what she was looking for. Bean's gaze penetrated her soul and she instantly knew she would be safe. She turned to look at Robert again but found that his expression now bordered something along the lines of what looked like insanity. It frightened her but now she had the proof she needed about Robert. He was in fact their stalker. The hair on her body sprung up making her entire body shiver in displeasure. Everything she thought she had known about the man was a lie. Robert's behavior was incredibly unpredictable.

“You are coming with me, whether you like it or not.”

“I'm not going anywhere with you.”

Piper felt Bean's hold tightened around her waist and instead of continuing the conversation, she just hid her face in Bean's chest wanting this nightmare to be over. It was Bean's turn to address the psychotic freak.

“I'm calling the police.”

“I don't think so.”

Piper wasn't really sure what had happened but she went from being safely tucked into Bean's shoulder and chest to standing behind her. The artist watched her lover's posture straighten up, nearly becoming her safe blanket, shielding her from the situation that was ahead. She grasped the back of her lover's shirt and peaked around to see what Robert was doing. When she saw that Robert was holding a gun in his hand, Piper trembled in fear. She automatically tried to get in front of Bean so that she would be between the two but it was no use. Bean just continued to keep Piper in place.

“Come on Robert. No one needs to get hurt today.”

“Listen here sinner, my wife to be is coming home with me and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I'll do what's necessary to get her back.”

“Let's just talk about this for a minute.”

“I have nothing else to say to you.”

Piper could feel the tension rise to a suffocating level. She quickly glanced pass Bean's bicep and saw Robert spitting in their direction as he spoke with such bitterness. She knew the results of his disgusting behaviour had hit Bean's face because she watched Blake wipe her face. The situation was unbearable and now that Robert had taken control with his gun, she wondered if they would come out safe.

“Let her go so she can come home with me.”

“I can't do that.”

“I'll only tell you one more time. LET HER GO!”

“NO. I can't do that.”

Piper didn't have time to react when the bullet of Robert's magnum ripped through Bean's chest. She stood frozen on the spot as she watched Bean's strong frame fall to the ground with a loud thud. She observed the lifeless body for a split second before noticing the blood seeping out from underneath Bean's back. She looked into Bean's face but couldn't see any life in those blackened eyes. She intentionally fell to her knees leaning over Bean.

Piper hysterically cried for the love that seeped out of the woman's body. She didn't know what to do and her heart broke into a million pieces. They had worked so hard to get to where they were and now Bean was lying on the floor in a pool of blood fighting to stay alive. At some point however, Bean's eyes closed and Piper felt like dying right alone side her lover.

“What have you done?”

“This is our chance to get away before she wakes up.”

“Wakes up? Are you insane? You just shot her.”

“Let's get the hell out of here Piper.”

“NO.”

Piper felt Robert's hands on her shoulders. He was aggressively motioning her to get up so the duo could leave but Piper wasn't going to move. She wasn't going to leave Bean's side. Robert was going to have to kill her in order to make her move.

“Piper, let's go.”

“I SAID NO!”

By now, Robert had taken a hold of Piper's hand and was powerfully pulling her towards him. Piper wasn't as strong as Robert who didn't come close to Bean's strength but the artist was frantic to stay with her partner. The harder she fought, the more she got tired. She feared Robert would eventually win and grab a hold of her so she did the only thing she could. She tried to fling herself back onto Bean's lifeless body.

“Come on Piper. She's not worth it.”

“You're crazy Robert. I'll never go anywhere with you.”

“You really would rather her than me?”

“You're going to have to kill me because I'm not leaving her side. EVER!”

Piper observed Robert's astonished expression and realized she probably had gone too far. It was the truth but she wasn't an expert when dealing with a crisis. The artist felt a violent grab on her shoulders and as she was being forced to leave the comfort of her lover, she started yelling at the top of her lungs.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.”

Piper was so preoccupied in trying to stay with Bean that she hadn't seen her father push his way through the entrance door. When she did finally see who was also standing in the room, her mouth fell open in disbelief. She didn't understand why her father was in the room but more importantly, she couldn't make out why Brandon was standing there with a small grin on his face.

“Dad, what are you doing here?”

“Listen Piper, we need to leave before the police get here.”

“NO. I told Robert and now I'll tell you. I'm not going anywhere.”

“You can't be serious. All this for a “gay”?”

“A “gay” dad? Really? It's lesbian.”

Piper's disbelief vanished when it hit her how much of an ignorant bigot her father was. It didn't matter whether she was a lesbian or not, the bottom line was that she was in love with Bean and she wasn't going to allow anyone in her life to control whom she could love anymore.

“Get the hell out.”

“What did you say to me?”

“I told you to get the hell out? Are your ears not working this morning Daddy?”

Piper no longer feared her father and in that moment of recognition, it was Brandon's turn to fear his daughter. He had never wanted anyone to be killed but now that Bean was out of the picture, Brandon felt a little better about this except for the fact that now his daughter seemed to be defiant, sad, assertive and totally livid with him.

“Brandon, we have to get the hell out of here. Your daughter is clearly delusional.”

“Piper, please.”

“Never. I'm not leaving Blake's side.”

Brandon didn't have time to refute his daughter's declaration. He had never seen her so dead set on something and was secretly proud of her for standing up to him. Not that he ever liked others who were different than him but in this situation, he felt that his daughter had finally found her true self and couldn't help but wonder about who Blake really was. He didn't have time to think about anything else as the police broke down Bean's front entrance doorway and entered the house.

“GET YOUR HANDS UP!”

Brandon, Robert and Piper all put their hands up and with a final gasp, Piper was able to breathe again. Her chest hurt so much but when she saw Detective Benisson walk through the broken down door, she felt relieved.

“WE NEED A MEDIC.”

Piper's eyes reverted back to Bean's body on the floor. She hadn't forgotten about how Bean was lying in a pool of blood but had been distracted by the sheer power of her feelings. She loved Bean more than life itself and it didn't matter to her who accepted it or not.

“PUT THE GUN DOWN.”

Piper looked at Robert who was still stupidly holding the gun up. She could see the worry in his eyes but could also see his defiance. She wanted Robert to drop the handgun but at the same time wanted him to feel the anguish as well because Bean was suffering. Robert looked over to where Piper was still on her knees inches away from Bean's body and could feel the blackness take over inside him.

“PUT THE GUN DOWN OR WE'LL SHOOT.”

The intensity was becoming a little too much for Piper. She knew if Robert surrendered that he would probably see the inside a jail cell for a long time but wasn't sure her ex-boyfriend would even allow that. At the last minute she saw Robert pull up his arm and as the gun pointed directly to the barricade of police officers she knew Robert was taking his own life.

Her ex-boyfriend was a coward and for that, the police officers were forced to do the only thing they had been trained to do which was to serve and protect. As the blasts began, Robert fell to the ground and Piper watched the blood spew out of his frame. The artist cried for how chaotic the situation had gotten and realized just how scary and crazy her situation had been all along. There wasn't much else she could take as she felt the stress pound the headache that had already started.

To her surprise, Robert was still alive so the police rapidly put the gunman into hand cuffs and placed him on a gurney. As the police were bringing him outside of Bean's house, Piper could hear them reading Robert his memorandum rights. When she looked back to Bean, her body had also been placed on a gurney so the emergency medical service responders could work on her injuries. Piper made her way to where they were working on Bean and grabbed hold of her hand.

“Miss, you have to let us do our job. We'll do everything we can for her.”

Piper had to let go of Bean's limp hand when the stretcher was placed inside the ambulance. As the doors closed Piper fell apart knowing that Bean was fighting for her life because she was in critical condition. She placed her hands over her face and let the tears blind her sight. She silently prayed for her lover and promised anything in return if Bean's health was restored.

“Honey, let me take you home.”

“I'm going to the hospital. I'm not going home.”

“Piper, please, you've been through enough already. Let the doctors take care of her.”

“When are you going to get it dad? She is the love of my life and I'm not leaving her side.”

The art gallery owner grabbed Bean's sweater, threw it over her tank top, and grabbed her purse while abruptly swiping at her eyes because the tears wouldn't stop streaming down her cheeks.

“I'm going with you.”

“Don't bother. You don't even want to be there.”

“I'm still your father.”

“Are you?”

Brandon was revolted by the hatred in his daughter's words. He shook his head and speculated and wondered if he had caused all of her pain. He didn't say anything else to her but followed her out the door. He motioned to Piper that he would drive and this time, Piper didn't hesitate in getting into her father's town car because she knew she couldn't drive. Her mind was on Bean nearly the entire way to the hospital except for when she momentarily thought about her gallery and Lisa. She needed to tell her assistant about what was happening so she took out her smartphone from her purse and quickly turned it on.

Lisa?

Hey Pipe, how's your lovely weekend going?

I don't have much time but something terrible has happened.

Are you ok?

I'm ok but Blake isn't. I'm on the way to the hospital with my father.

What happened? Do you need anything?

I'll tell you what happened when you get here. For now, I could use my best friend. Being with dad right now isn't exactly what I had in mind.

I'll close the gallery and head your way right now. I'll take care of the orders while I'm at the hospital.

Thanks hun.

Anytime sweetie. Be there soon.

xx

At The Hospital

Piper sat there motionless waiting for any kind of news from the doctor. She appreciated that her father had been sitting beside her the whole time not saying a word but knew he didn't want to be around. She felt supported but wondered if her father had some kind of ulterior motive. She nervously tapped her foot over and over again on the white tiles. The longer she waited for any news, the more she grew anxious which in turn made her nervous.

“Hey sweetie, are you alright?”

The art gallery assistant had finally made it to the hospital and not a moment too soon. Piper was going out of her skin but seeing her best friend there immediately made her feel a little better. She got up and hugged her right away. Lisa pulled the smaller woman into her and held on tight when Piper let her tears run free.

“Well, do I have anything to be worried about?”

Both Piper and Lisa looked over their shoulders to see who had asked the question. Piper was irritated knowing that whoever had asked it obviously was trying to be funny. It wasn't the situation for that kind of joke however when she realized Daniel, her father's assistant had said it she shook her head. He had obviously gotten some pointers from her father. No wonder he was socially awkward and a little strange.

“Daniel, what are you doing here?”

Piped looked to Lisa wondering how in the world they knew each other but quickly put two and two together. Lisa had been excited about her date last night but the artist observed an annoying facial expression coming from her assistant. Piper wondered what she had seen in him in the first place. He was cute, nice, and gentle but seemed to have eyes in the back of his head. He seemed a little weird and he was certainly awkward but wasn't enough to make Piper feel uncomfortable.

“I came to offer my help of course. Are you alright Piper?”

“No, I'm not alright.”

Before Lisa could tell her best friend anything about what had happened last night during her date, the emergency trauma doors whirled opened.

Piper let go of her best friend and watched what seemed like the army of men, dressed in green coloured pastel scrubs rushing towards her. She could feel the discomfort in the room and within seconds, she knew something terrible had happened to Bean. She tried to convince herself otherwise but her soul was shattered. She could tell by the facial expressions on the doctor's faces that Bean had died. She just hoped and prayed for a miracle.

“Piper Jackson?”

Piper faced the men but couldn't answer them so she simply nodded. She looked on as the men took on a more comfortable stance but something wasn't right.

“Miss, we have you as Blake Beaner's emergency contact. Are you family?”

“I'm her partner, yes.”

Piper hadn't realized how comfortable and right it felt to say those words out loud and for the first time ever, the rest of the people in the room had heard it as well. Lisa was proud of her best friend and knew it had taken her a long time to get there. Brandon however, cringed at the thought of his daughter announcing to professionals that she was gay. He couldn't believe what he was hearing but in a sense still felt very proud of her.

“I'm Doctor Syd, the Chief Medical Trauma Surgeon.”

“This is Brandon Jackson my father and Lisa Reiner, my best friend.”

The other doctors all made eye contact with Brandon, Piper and Lisa as Doctor Syd started explaining what had happened during surgery. Piper didn't want to hear what he had to say because she feared the worst. She however needed to know for sure on the off chance that Bean had actually survived.

“We had to preform emergency surgery on Blake's chest. Blake's injuries to her upper body were unsalvageable I'm afraid. We were able to repair her lung but the fragments of the bullet severed her major artery. Unfortunately, we were unable to save her.”

Everyone watched the blonde woman grab at her chest with both of her hands. Piper was traumatized and in those few moments denied what the chief surgeon had said to her.

“When can I talk to her?”

“I'm so sorry for your loss Miss Jackson.”

“No, don't tell me she's dead.”

“I'm sorry. If you need any more information, please feel free to contact my assistant.”

Piper felt like everything around her was crashing down on her. Her body became limp and she fell to the ground. She sobbed for all that had happened and for the life she would be forced to live without Bean. In a way, she wanted her life to end so she could finally be free to be with Bean in the afterlife but wasn't really sure she could go through with it.

Eventually, her father kneeled down next to her and softly placed his hand on her shoulder.

“Come on sweetie, let me take you home.”

“I don't want to go home daddy. I want to be with Blake.”

“I'm so sorry baby but she's gone.”

“No.”

Piper fought with her father for another little while before allowing him to help her up. She hadn't seen this kind of compassion in him in years and secretly longed for him to continue displaying these emotions instead of the cold man he was.

“I need to see her before I leave.”

“Alright sweetheart. Let me go ask.”

It didn't take long for a nurse to come into the emergency room to escort both Brandon and Piper to where Bean's body was. When Piper saw Bean silently laying there not moving an inch, her reality of the situation came hurtling down. She ran to Bean's side and kissed her lips over and over again willing the power of her love to bring her back to life. The more she kissed, the more she wished for a miracle but it never came true.

Piper was exhausted and finally crouched over Bean's body. Not only had Bean's life ended, but she felt like hers had as well. She lightly kissed Bean's ear and quietly spoke. She hoped her words would finally reach Bean's heart and will her to wake up from this dreadful nightmare.

“Blake, handsome, it's me. I never got the chance to tell you my deepest secret and we both know how you love those juicy details. You need to come back to me so I can tell you. Please Blake, come back to me.”

Piper could think of a million and one things she needed to tell the woman of her dreams but in that instant all she could do was fall that much more in love with the enigmatic woman.

“Do you have any idea how gorgeous you are? It's earth shattering. Bean please, I need you my love.”

Piper looked into the face she loved but still she couldn't see any kind of movement. It was now or never. She needed to try telling her exactly how she felt so she brought her lips closely back to Bean's ear and whispered the cherished words she had longed to be able to say for months now.

“I'm so in love with you Blake Beaner. I don't want to live this life without you. Please come back to me. Please Bean. I love you baby. I love you so much.”

When she tried to catch her breath unaware that her father had been listening, she failed to see the lone tear that Brandon shed. Brandon had never felt any kind of emotion to allow tears to appear but as he watched his daughter beg and plead for the life of her lover, he couldn't help himself. He couldn't help but want to protect her from the pain she was displaying so he did the only thing he thought was right.

Piper soon realized that her father was as her side trying to coax her into leaving her safe haven.

“No daddy, please don't make me.”

“You have to sweetheart. This is not proper behaviour.”

“No. I'm not leaving.”

“Piper, please be realistic.”

“No.”

“I'm sorry sweetheart but Blake is gone.”

The more Brandon tried to pull his daughter off Bean's body, the more she fought and pushed to stay in that position. It became too hard to fight off her father and as he pulled a little harder, Bean's hand was torn from the artist's hold. Piper's loss became a reality in that moment and her life ripped into a thousands pieces.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.”

Back to That Same Saturday Morning

Piper's body jerked waking her up out of complete dead sleep. She was confused about what had just happened so she quickly sat up and took a few deep breaths. She leaped up from the confines of her warm spot looking around the room trying to find Bean but she was nowhere in sight. She checked the temperature of the sheets next to her and closed her eyes when she found them to be cold.

She put her head into the palms of her clammy hands and wondered if Bean really did in fact exist. Piper wondered if Blake Beaner had been nothing more than a fantasy she had made up in her mind. Bean certainly belonged in the deepest part of her soul but she hoped with all of her might that she hadn't created the love story. More importantly, she hoped that what had happened wasn't a part of her reality. She needed for Bean to be real and safe.

When she realized that it had only been a nightmare, Piper let a few tears stream down her face.

She didn't dream all that often but when she did, it was extremely rare for her to have nightmares. Piper quickly made her way to the bathroom and with a wet facecloth, washed the remains of sweat that still poured down her forehead. The nightmare had felt so real and the fact that Bean wasn't in bed with her was still nagging at her strings. She needed to know where Bean was just to make sure she was ok.

She wasted no time in yelling out to Bean.

“BEAN?”

She listened but couldn't hear anything. She took a few other seconds to listen but by then, the silence was deafening. Her heartbeat increased and her chilled body trembled because of the troubling thoughts that were flying around in her mind.

“BABY, ARE YOU HERE?”

The artist couldn't hear anything coming from the main floor and thought it was strange for the house to be so silent. She stood motionless while taking a few extra seconds in making sure that she couldn't hear anything.

“BLAKE?”

The nightmare had put so much doubt in her thoughts and it frightened her because if the dream hadn't been true, it could only mean that Robert was still out there ready to do anything he wanted. The tears continued to roll down her cheeks but she hastily wiped them not wanting Robert's possessiveness to control her.

The last place to check was the main floor so when she started venturing down the staircase the only thing she could see was the flashbacks of her nightmare. She couldn't help the nausea from building in the pit of her stomach at the similarities of her dream and her reality.

The house was unnervingly quiet, cold and Piper felt strange in it. The closer she got to the living room, the more the memories of Bean being shot assaulted her. The artist could barely breathe now as she traveled around the house not knowing where Bean was.

Piper needed some water so she headed towards the kitchen for a glass of the cold liquid that would hopefully clam her. In the corner of her eye, she saw Bean standing in front of the window, looking outside. She immediately stopped and turned her body so she could get a better look at whatever Bean was staring at. She tried to look pass the gorgeous woman that had stolen her heart but it proved to be difficult. Eventually she did but it wasn't a surprise that she couldn't see anything.

“Handsome, are you ok?”

Piper watched the confusion in Bean's face as they looked at each other. Bean stood there in her tank top and boxer trunks but there was a vulnerability about her that made the artist feel blessed to have someone like that in her life. Her nerves had finally clamed after finding out where Bean was. She couldn't help but smile at the tall gorgeous hunk who was proudly standing in front of her.

“Oh, hey babe, did I wake you?”

The gallery owner put up her hand suggesting for Bean to stay where she was standing and made her way over to the inviting hug. Bean hugged her as tight as she possibly could.

“No, you didn't!”

“Good, how did you sleep?”

“Really good until my nightmare.”

“Nightmare, are you OK?”

“Yes, I'm fine. What are you doing up?”

Bean looked out the window and scanned the area making Piper feel a little uncomfortable. It was clear to her that her lover was on edge and distracted by whatever was happening or had happened.

“I thought something woke me up so I came down to investigate.”

“Did you find anything Sherlock?”

The duo laughed at Piper's playfulness. Bean kept her grin on her face while Piper watched the questions still work around in her eyes.

“I'm not sure Watson.”

“Is that why you are looking out the window?”

“Yeah, when I was coming down, I heard it again.”

“Find anything?”

“Not a thing. But I have that stupid creepy feeling again. Do you feel it?”

Piper had tried to inject some humour into the conversation but it routinely got serious again because of the circumstances the couple were under. It was hard for their conversations lately not to turn serious because of the issues they were dealing with on a daily basis.

Bean

Bean was thankful that she had been able to hold in her emotions when Piper had found her standing at the window. She had heard something when she was sleeping and it had awoken her from a deep sleep. She hated getting out of bed and away from Piper but she was so on edge lately that everything inside her needed to make sure whatever noise she had heard wasn't coming from inside the house.

Unfortunately, she heard the noise again when she was going down the staircase. It immediately grabbed her attention. She froze listening to what was happening outside her living room window. She didn't want to feel nervous about being in her house. She no longer felt safe and she was always thinking about Piper's wellbeing. She felt overwhelmed about the situation but pushed through hoping that Robert would finally spend some real time in jail and away from her and her girlfriend.

Bean's curiosity however got the best of her so she scanned the area looking for anything out of the ordinary. She couldn't find anything but felt that awful eerie feeling in the pit of her stomach. As far as she was concerned, Robert was still out there so she wondered what the man was up to.

The ex-Jackson Inc. employee didn't have to think about Robert for very long when the love of her life walked into the living room. Bean's un-comfortableness vanished the moment she looked into her girlfriend's protective and inquisitive eyes. She instantly worried about why Piper looked frightened and pale and wondered what had happened to make her so colorless.

As the couple hugged, Bean couldn't help but notice that Piper had loss some weight. At least, it seemed like it. It looked like the artist wasn't sleeping much and Bean hardly saw her eating anymore and hadn't put two and two together until now. This situation was taking its toll on Piper's health. Bean wasn't happy about that but would carefully talk to the art gallery owner about it later on.

“I'm still a little messed up from my nightmare.”

“Is that why you are so pale?”

“Uh huh.”

“Are you ok?”

“Yes, I'm perfect now that I know you are alright.”

“Who me?”

“Yes, you.”

“Of course I'm alright babe. I'm right here.”

“I see that.”

“I'm sorry babe. All of this stuff has been so stressful for the both of us. It's been hard. Maybe we should re-consider seeing that specialist.”

“It might not be a bad idea.”

The couple hugged but by now Piper felt uneasy about how her morning was playing out. It nearly seemed like she was living a déjà vu except for a few facts. Most of everything, including Bean's clothes had been the exact same as in her nightmare. Bean squeezed the smaller frame a little harder subconsciously wanting her lover's demons to disappear.

Piper

Piper wondered if this was the starting of a premonition. Earlier in their relationship when all of this stalker business had started, the couple had talked about how important it was to trust in their intuitions. Piper stepped out of Bean's embrace and looked deep into those grey eyes that always pierced her soul with a single glance. She smiled but before opening her mouth to share with Bean about her nightmare, the duo was caught off guard by the loud doorbell.

The two jumped up, obviously still on edge, nervous and anxious. Piper's heart fell to the ground and she felt the lump in her throat expand to where she couldn't breathe. So much had happened in their lives lately. Piper looked at the door expecting Robert to be on the other side of the door. She didn't want Bean to open it because the flashbacks of her nightmare came rushing into her mind but knew there was no way of keeping Bean from opening it.

“Are you alright babe? What's the matter?”

Piper knew something dreadful was going to happen and this was the first time in her life her intuition had screamed that loud. It wasn't something she could deny and she worried about who was on the other side of the door.

“Please don't answer it handsome. Please!”

The End

Return to the Academy

Author's Page