Egyptian Prophecy

Scrappyone@excite.com


" 1999 by Scrappyone. The characters of Xena and Gabrielle are the property of MCA/ Universal/ Renaissance, no copyright infringement is intended. This story contains scenes of sex between two consenting adults, if you are offended by this, you should not read any farther.

This story takes place at the end of the third season, (after Sacrifice, part 2) and before the start of the forth season.


Looking over the side of the ship a bright light shone in the distance, filling the night sky and preparing to guide visitors. "Xena, is that.."

"Alexandria? Yep, that’s the lighthouse there. It’s unmistakable, there’s not another one like it in the world." Xena’s voice was smooth and calming as usual. As she stood beside Gabrielle she lightly rested her fingers on the young bard’s arm.

"Any idea why Cleopatra sent for you?" Gabrielle asked.

"Us, Gabrielle, she sent for us." Xena corrected. "But I really don’t know, another assassination plot maybe, but…I really don’t know."

"It must be something serious if she sent a ship for us." Gabrielle was always very good at figuring things out, and she was right. To send a ship and soldiers in search of them, it had to be desperate.

"We'll know for sure soon, we'll be there by morning if this wind keeps up. We should get some sleep, I have a feeling that we are going to be quite busy when we get there. " Xena let her hand drift down around the bards waist and gently nudged her away from the rail. "Besides, we have that nice cabin down there all to ourselves." She said as she smiled at Gabrielle, trying desperately to hide her growing concern. Xena could think of very few things she might be summoned for and none of them were pleasant. She hoped she was wrong.

"I would hate to see it not get used." The bards devilish grin told of passions unfulfilled.

"It’s certainly going to better than sleeping on the ground…even if it is just one night."

Xena had a way of putting things into perspective.

"Even one night without rocks in the middle of my back…" Gabrielle’s voice trailed off as they walked toward the cabins below deck.

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

The large bed was visible by the candlelight that filled the cabin. This was definitely a ship that Cleopatra herself traveled on. The lavish furnishings and luxuries made the pair stop as they opened the cabin door. Steam rose from a tub of hot bath water anxiously awaiting them in the middle of the cabin. Trays of meat, fruit, vegetables, wines and breads were set out for them, each perfectly cut. Fresh white bath linens were laid on the bed.

"Xena, look at these…I don’t think I’ve ever had a real towel before." Gabrielle was excited, and she let it show. She picked up one of the plush towels and held it to her face.

"They’re so soft, " she said.

Xena reached out to touch Gabrielle’s other cheek, "Just like your skin." Her voice was soft and tender. Their past few weeks together had been an emotional roller coaster. Xena had lost a son, Gabrielle had taken the life of her daughter and Xena had lost Gabrielle. She had called in old debts from the Gods to get her back from the Elysian fields. Never again would she lose her, without Gabrielle knowing exactly how she felt.

Gabrielle smiled at Xena, her green eyes reflecting the candlelight. "Xena…," her voice trailing off as Xena’s hand gently found it’s way down her cheek and under her chin. Lifting her chin slightly, Xena spoke.

"Gabrielle,…I…" she paused and drew in a deep breath. "I…when I thought I lost you, I…my heart just…" struggling for words, she turned away and walked to the cabin door. Reaching for the rope handle, she pulled the door open and slowly shut it again.

"Xena," Gabrielle spoke with quiet confidence. "I think you should take off your armor and crawl into this bath tub." As she turned around she saw only the bard’s emotional eyes.

Walk out now, or admit your feelings she thought to herself. Xena turned back around and reached for the cabin door handle again.

"Please, don’t go" a voice whispered as she felt the light touch of a hand on her shoulder. Gabrielle had walked up behind her. Her touch set Xena’s skin on fire, fires that she had not felt in a long time, and never with this intensity.

Slowly, Xena turned around. "Gabrielle, I.."

"Shh,…I know… you’re just a scared as I am, but we both know that we can’t keep denying what we feel for each other. I see it in your eyes…I feel it when you touch me,..Xena, you can’t hide your feelings from me, I know you too well." Gabrielle’s voice was seductively soft and erotic.

"Gabrielle, I’m older,.. I know exactly what I’m doing, and I know what I want… do you?" Xena paused before continuing. "Do you really know what you’re saying? Once we go there Gabrielle, I can’t turn back…" Xena’s voice was pleading for understanding. "I know how I feel about you, but if you don’t feel the same way, I … "

"Xena, I love you." Gabrielle said softly.

"I just can’t.. it wouldn’t be fair to either of us, …what did you say?"

"I love you Xena." Gabrielle smiled. Xena stared at her, dumbfounded. "I love you, did you hear me?" She paused seeming almost annoyed. "Did you hear me, …I love you, Xena, you…and no one else, and I never have. I want to be with you."

"You love me?" Xena asked. Smiling and staring into Gabrielle’s eyes she asked "Could you say that again … I’m not sure I heard you right."

"I love you." She kept repeating those three simple words as she slowly and methodically closed the distance between them, looking into Xena’s blue eyes, she grew closer.

It was taking an eternity for Gabrielle to reach her, those few feet seemed like miles. Xena couldn’t move, overcome with emotion the warrior princess had been halted in her tracks by the young bard from Poteidaia. "I was hoping that was what you said."

"I’ve loved you for a long time, it’s just taken me this long to have the courage to tell you." Gabrielle paused for a moment before continuing. "Since I haven’t had much experience with this sort of thing, I … had to wait until I was sure."

"I’ve known for…since the Mitoan war." Xena spoke softly as she looked into Gabrielle’s telling eyes. "I just couldn’t seem to tell you,…. The thought of you not feeling the same way, terrified me."

"Shhh..." Gabrielle put a finger to Xena’s lips. "Let me help you with your armor…we have a bath already drawn,…it would be a shame to waste it." Turning slowly around she felt Gabrielle’s hands move to her armor plated back and free the plate one side at a time. Working slowly and deliberately she loosened the top laces on the leather bodice. Xena reached up to free the clips on her breastplate from her shoulder plates. Reaching she found Gabrielle’s smaller hand on top of hers. "Let me, …I want to do that for you." Xena let her hand slowly fall back to her side. Xena was surprised at how well Gabrielle was at removing her armor, the clips and buckles quickly loosened.

Smiling, Gabrielle answered. "I like helping you take it off…your armor, I mean." She moved around Xena and slowly removed her gauntlets and armbands. Lifting each arm with such tenderness that it was near torture. Trails of fire sprang from her fingertips.

Xena was proud of her self-control, but she was very close to grabbing Gabrielle, tossing her on the bed and making love to her. The young bard knelt and began to loosen the greaves covering Xena’s legs. Taking small liberties she ran her hands along Xena’s thighs feeling the smooth skin covering the powerful muscles underneath.

"Gabbbrriellle," Xena sighed. "If you keep this up…"

Gabrielle kept working, from greaves to boots until Xena’s legs were free of armor and boots. She stood slowly carefully taking in every inch of the warrior princess, her warrior princess. Stopping only inches from her face and looking into her passionate eyes. "If I keep what up?" Whispering she continued, almost taunting her "what,… what would you do…kiss me?"

With her hands still at her sides Xena bent down and kissed Gabrielle, slowly pulling away. "Have you ever been with a woman?" Xena asked.

"Only in my dreams."

"Gabrielle…I’m serious."

"No…only Per..." as Gabrielle’s voice trailed off, Xena put her hands around her waist.

"I thought that he might have been the only one." A slow smile escaped Gabrielle as she listened to Xena’s comforting voice. "Well, it’s a little different…come on, let’s not let this hot bath water go to waste, …we have all night." Turning around, she let the bard finish unlacing the bodice. Brushing the shoulder straps aside, the heavy leather fell to the floor. The undergarments fell moments later. Gabrielle reached for the warrior’s shoulders and ran her hands over them slowly. Feeling their strength, the deep grove in the middle of Xena’s back and wondering how such a powerful warrior could be so gentle.

Gabrielle stood in front of Xena, offering the laces of her top to Xena’s skilled hands.

In anticipation, she reached for the laces, carefully loosening them from top to bottom. She lifted her head slightly and looked into Gabrielle’s eyes. Xena saw no confusion or fear, only the desire she had hidden for so long and the desire she had longed to fulfill. Wanting to savor the moment Xena rested her hands around Gabrielle’s waist, bending down, she kissed her forehead. Xena’s trail of tender kisses found already parted lips. Delicate kisses gave way to much deeper more passionate ones. Tongues touched and lips parted as small passionate moans escaped.

Gabrielle’s hands found their way to Xena’s bare back and shoulders, running across them slowly, leaving behind skin longing to be touched again. Touched, caressed, kissed, loved; She wanted to feel the love she’d never felt with anyone else before. They separated slowly. Gabrielle lightly grabbed Xena’s hands and put them on her already loosened top.

Taking the shirt in her hands, Xena lifted slowly as Gabrielle raised her arms. Pulling the it over her head and arms, Gabrielle’s breasts were freed. She loosened the waistband of her skirt and let it fall to the floor. Xena stood in awe of the beautiful woman in front of her. Though she was naked, Gabrielle stood proudly, not shy nor embarrassed. Taking her hand, Xena led her to the edge of the tub.

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

 

Gabrielle sat in front of her in the steaming bath, Xena felt her thighs rest against the bard's waist. Washing her shoulders with the soft sponge was torture. She wanted to feel her skin, her touch, taste her kisses. Resting the sponge on the edge of the tub, she gathered Gabrielle’s wet hair and draped it over her shoulder. Leaning forward, Xena planted a single kiss her neck.

Gabrielle could wait no longer; Xena’s touch, her kisses…her passion, she wanted it all. Her hands found Xena’s thighs in the water. She caressed them; running her hands their full length, savoring every inch. Her hands found the sensitive skin of her inner thigh. As she heard Xena inhale deeply, she turned around and looked at her. Her eyes just starting to reopen, lips parted. As she inched closer to Xena, she could feel Xena’s thighs touching her again, rubbing against her waist. She inched closer, like a predator closing the distance to its prey, watching her wait for her.

Gabrielle could get no closer, they were touching, skin on skin. Their hungry wanton eyes stared at each other. Their lips touched. Meeting with tender passion they wrapped their arms around each other. Beneath the surface of the water Xena had carefully wrapped her legs around Gabrielle, holding her closely.

Xena softly cradled Gabrielle’s face in her hands and slowly pulled away from her. Looking into her puzzled green eyes, she spoke. "Not in here …I want to do this right, I don’t want to rush you.."

Gabrielle interrupted her. "Who’s rushing? I want you, here or there…what’s the difference?"

Looking toward the bed, Xena answered the bard’s question. " Over there I can do things with you…that I can’t in here, well, at least not how I’d like to. I want to be able to see you, all of you." A brief flash of fear flickered in Gabrielle’s eyes and goosebumps appeared. "Gabrielle, what’s wrong? Are you having second th.."

"No," she blurted out. "I…"

"What is it, you’ve got goosebumps…it’s too hot in here for those, what’s wrong?

Did I…hurt you? Did you change your mind?"

"Gods no" she paused before continuing. "Perd…it wasn’t…"

Xena reached out for her and pulled her close again. Kissing the top of her wet head as if she would break, she whispered in her ear. " I’m not Perdicus, I won’t hurt you, and I won’t do anything you don’t want me to…I love you, If you want me to stop just tell me, I don’t want to you to do anything you don’t want to…."

"You’re not…really…he just wasn’t, …I mean I didn’t,…" Gabrielle pulled away so she could look at Xena as she spoke.

"You don’t have to tell me. Gabrielle, I.."

"Yes, Xena, I do have to tell you,…I didn’t love him, not like I do you,…I never felt like this with him. He wasn’t as patient…or gentle as you’ve been." Gabrielle could see the hurt in Xena’s eyes.

"I’m so sorry, I …didn’t know. The way you were after his death, I thought that.."

"I just couldn’t tell you. I can still see the pain in your eyes now…even after all this time." She reached for Xena’s face and let her hand rest against her cheek as she spoke. " I wouldn’t have been able to handle it then." Xena closed her eyes so they couldn’t betray any more of her feelings. She had wanted this night to be special, now she wanted it to be very special.

Smiling again, she opened her eyes and looked at Gabrielle. "Let’s get out of the water, dry off, have something to eat. …" Her voice fell captive to Gabrielle’s lips as she started once again to kiss the warrior with unbridled passion.

"Eat…who’s hungry?" Gabrielle looked at her with seductive eyes.

"You should eat something, you’ll need your strength…." Xena replied with a devilish grin.

 

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

Drying off with the plush linens that had been laid on the bed, Gabrielle sighed quietly. "These are sooo soft."

"They are…" Xena added as she walked next to Gabrielle. Reaching for the towel, she leaned close to Gabrielle as she whispered in her ear "let me do that." Gabrielle gave the towel to Xena. She carefully dried the water off her skin; using the caution a mother would on a newborn baby.

This warrior continued to amaze her. She possessed the power and resolve to destroy armies and protect the innocent, yet there was endless tenderness and a certain gentility to her touch. It was hypnotic. The gentle rubbing of the soft towel over her skin had caused a sigh of pleasure.

"Does it feel good?" Xena whispered in her ear. Not a question, but a seductive fact.

She started to dry her legs and slowly moved around the waiting bard. Kneeling in front of her, she massaged her skin gently until the water drops had disappeared. Her legs, arms and abdomen were all cared for with the same loving attention. Standing slowly with towel in hand, she began to dry Gabrielle’s shoulders. She looked into Gabrielle’s telling eyes she tended her. Endless passion lay behind those piercing green eyes, she would know just how much passion soon. As she continued down the bard’s shoulders and on to her breasts, Gabrielle let another soft moan escape as she closed her eyes and let her head fall back, exposing her neck completely. Xena leaned down and kissed Gabrielle’s exposed neck, and continued to trail kisses along her collarbone and down to her breast. Running her hands down Gabrielle’s sides. She felt her back slowly arch toward her, offering herself to Xena’s kisses and the expert touch of her hands. Her skin was left craving Xena’s touch, wanting her more than she ever dreamed possible.

"Gods, Xena, please…" her voice trailed off. Opening her eyes, she realized Xena was again kneeling in front of her.

With her simple passionate pleas, Xena ran her cheek against Gabrielle’s firm breasts.

Teasing each nipple with the tip of her tongue. Gabrielle sighed loudly as Xena moved her hands under her breasts, cupping them slightly. Rubbing one slightly as she took one in her mouth and taunted it until the nipple stood erect. As she teased the other, Gabrielle had grabbed Xena’s head and tipped it up to look at her. Breast pulled free of her mouth, Xena looked up.

"Xena, please don’t make me wait…I don’t know how much more I can take before.."

"Are you sure? I just want this to be so special for you…"

"Yes, Xena…please, I never wanted you more than I do right now."

With the bard’s seductive confession, Xena stood once again. Scooping her into her arms, she carried Gabrielle effortlessly to the bed and laid her down. Lying down on the bed next to her, Xena kissed her. Gabrielle returned her kisses as though they had done this many times. Xena whispered in her ear, "You can touch me if you want, I won’t break."

Without hesitation Gabrielle reached out for Xena. She let her hands roam over Xena’s body as she lay next to her. Her touch, seemingly shy, teased Xena. She let her fingertips wander over her body, arms, shoulders, stomach, hip and thigh. "Tell me what to do Xena,…tell me what you want. I don’t know what to do to please you."

"Let me show you." They kissed again this time with more urgency. Xena’s hands found Gabrielle’s breast and held it, lightly teasing the nipple with her thumb.

"Xenaaaaahh," the soft sigh escaped from her lips as Xena pulled away and began her journey around her body. Her hands started a path that her lips followed. One at a time Xena teased the bard’s firm breasts, and one at a time, erect nipples appeared. She ran her hands over Gabrielle’s body, feeling her back arch to meet Xena’s mouth, offering herself again to the warrior.

"Do you like that?" Xena asked needlessly, she could tell by the Gabrielle’s reaction that she was enjoying every minute of her patient lovemaking.

"Yes…" she whispered as she reached out, grabbing Xena’s hair and gently pulling her up to meet the bard’s waiting lips.

"Do you want me slow down?" Xena was silenced as Gabrielle’s lips captured hers.

Succumbing to Gabrielle’s desires, she let the bard kiss her, softly at first, then deeply, exploring with her tongue. She reached out for Xena, lightly touching her breast as they kissed. Softly at first, then cupping it in her hand, before breaking their kiss. She found Xena’s nipple and licked it lightly with her tongue. Xena let a small passionate moan escape. "I guess not."

Unsure at first, she licked, as the nipple became harder, she took it fully in her mouth

and began to move her tongue over Xena’s nipple. Teasing it erect, she switched nipples.

"Gabrielle…are you sure you haven’t done this before…" Xena’s voice trailed off as another soft moan escaped. She was beginning to find it very difficult to control herself. She had been with no one since the young bard had stolen her heart, wanting nothing more than to take her at this very moment, she tried to hold on. This night has to be special for Gabrielle Xena thought.

Xena unconsciously arched her back in pleasure, giving the bard the silent confirmation she needed. Yes, Xena likes what I’m doing Gabrielle thought. "Xena…what do you want me to do?" She let her hands wander over the warrior’s body. She had touched Xena before, but had never allowed herself to enjoy the intimacy of the touch. Her hands slowly moved across Xena’s long body with soft moans escaping the warrior’s lips.

No longer able to control herself, Xena reached down and gently pulled the bard back up along her body. The two kissed hungrily, neither able to control their passion or desire for one another any longer. "Just relax and enjoy." Xena carefully rolled on top of Gabrielle, supporting her weight on her elbows. Trailing kisses from lips, neck and breast to breast, Xena left her skin craving to be touched again. Goosebumps arose on Gabrielle’s abdomen as Xena continued to tenderly trail kisses to the insides of her thighs. Lifting her head slightly, she could see the desire etched on Gabrielle’s face; her eyes closed and lips opened in a sensuous ‘o’. Xena carefully ran her hands under her hips as she slid down on the long bed and situated herself between the bard’s thighs.

"AHHHH!" Gabrielle let out a loud moan and her hips arched as Xena ran her tongue the full length of her clit. Allowing her tongue to slowly tease and wander, Xena gently kneaded the bard. The taste of Gabrielle was making Xena herself become wet. Listening to Gabrielle’s soft moans of pleasure, she continued to move her tongue along and across her clit. As her body began to gently quiver, Xena slowed until the shaking stopped. "Gods, Xena, don’t stop, …I want you…don’t make me wait anymore."

She finally gave into her pleas. Xena continued to tease Gabrielle with her tongue. Taking her hands from beneath Gabrielle’s hips, she wrapped them around her thighs; holding them as the bard began to slowly move her hips. Soft moans escaping her lips only excited Xena more. Carefully she unwrapped an arm holding Gabrielle’s thighs and began to caress her leg, from hip to ankle. As her moans grew louder and her back arched higher, Xena slowly slid a finger inside her. She moved her finger back and forth as she continued to tease Gabrielle with her tongue.

"Oh, Gods, Xena…that feels so good." She let her hips move to the rhythm Xena’s tongue and finger had set. Her finger sliding easily, Xena carefully slid another in. Moving both in unison with increasing speed, her tongue teasing Gabrielle’s now hard clit, Xena felt herself getting more excited as the bard quivered and moaned in pleasure. Her arching back and quaking thighs let Xena know she was close to ecstasy. With a final slide of tongue and fingers, Gabrielle’s quaking body stopped and slowly settled to the soft bed beneath her.

A final kiss on her clit, Xena relaxed her hand and let the bards quivering muscles almost push her fingers out. Straightening her body, she took Gabrielle into her arms and held her tightly. " I love you, Gabrielle."

"I love you too, Xena."

"Are you okay? I didn’t hurt you, did I?"

"Gods, no. I’m fine, I never knew it could feel that good to be with someone you love, to make love with them…with you."

Xena carefully rolled onto her back and pulled Gabrielle close to her. Their bodies stretched against each other. "I do love you Gabrielle, very much." As Xena held her, she could feel her breathing slow, and drift off asleep.

 

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

The winds carried the ship closer to Alexandria throughout the night. Listening to the waves brush against the side of the hull was a comforting sound as Xena lay awake with Gabrielle cradled in her arms; quietly sleeping. Her red hair gently tickling Xena as it rubbed against her shoulder and cheek. Her leg across Xena’s thigh, her arm across her chest, rising and falling with each breath Xena took.

The young bard from Poteidaia harbored the passion she suspected. Xena knew she had it within her, she could hear it in the stories the bard would captivate her audiences with. Now she had felt that passion, and never wanted to ever let go of it. They,… had made love.

A small sigh escaped from Gabrielle’s lips. The gentle rhythmic rocking of the ship helped lull her back to sleep. Xena was still amazed. The unbridled passion they had shared; she had never known such intensity before now. After last night she was now sure that no one would ever come between them ever again, man or woman.

Her heart belonged to her forever, her bard, the Amazon Queen, her Gabrielle. After last night she no longer had to hope that Gabrielle felt the same way. After last night, she knew they shared those feelings of love for each other. If Gabrielle agreed, they would go to the Amazon nation where she and the Queen could be united with the Joining ceremony. I’ll ask her when she wakes up she thought. Xena let the thought of holding Gabrielle like this every night lull her to sleep, the bard’s breath warming her skin.

 

* * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * *

* * * * *

 

 

She awoke with a yawn. Slowly, she stretched alongside Xena. The sleeping warrior’s arms still wrapped around her, she softly tapped her shoulder to wake her. "Xena… Xena… Xena…wake up Xena."

"Hmmmm." Still sleepy, Xena began to slowly open her eyes.

"Xena…" Gabrielle leaned her head forward slightly and kissed her skin.

"Morning."

"Join with me." It was a statement, not a question that Gabrielle said.

With raised eyebrows, Xena looked at the bard. "What did you just say?"

"Will you join with me, Xena…we could…"

"Yes," Xena interrupted her, " Were you reading my mind?’

"What do you mean?"

"I was going to ask you when I woke up." Xena replied.

"I beat you to it," Gabrielle grinned.

"You know I’m not exactly a favorite with the Amazons right now. The last time, I did some…"

"But I’ve forgiven you Xena, they will too." Gabrielle replied.

"I hope you’re right."

 

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

The lighthouse had guided them safely to Alexandria. As the ship began it’s final passage into the port, Xena and Gabrielle looked at each other and smiled, knowing work and possibly danger lay ahead of them.

As a soldier raised the ships banner, Xena’s suspicions were confirmed. The distinctive banner of the Queen was being raised. Flying high above them, it was now clear that Cleopatra had sent her own ship for them. Her own private guard. She wanted them to arrive there safely, comfortably and in grand style, but why? Why had she sent for them ?

Another banner was being raised, as it unfurled it showed the mask of the Amazon Queen. The large feather adorned skull on the brown woolen banner was unmistakable. Xena looked at Gabrielle, almost asking for confirmation that she was seeing the mask of the Amazon Queen being flown on a banner, high on the mast. Puzzled, Gabrielle spoke softly, "…the Queen’s mask?"

"They’ve been expecting the Amazon Queen…" smiling, Xena continued "is that why we’ve gotten the royal treatment?"

"Hmm," A large smirk appeared on Gabrielle’s face as she looked back at Xena " … I guess it pays to be a Queen at times."

As they drew closer to the pier, they could see people gathered there. Merchants, families, soldiers and townspeople all stood awaiting the arrival of the royal ship. An armada of smaller ships had come out to greet them. Surrounding them, they escorted the larger ship into a port with people anxiously awaiting its arrival. Banners of royalty flew high above the port, extending a welcome to their guests. As they inched closer they cloud hear the sounds of music coming from shore. A grand ship and a grand welcome Xena thought.

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

Walking down the wide plank from the ship, Xena and Gabrielle stood on solid ground once again. At the end of the plank stood a high-ranking officer in the Egyptian army.

"I am General Malakon. I am to escort you to the palace of Queen Cleopatra." His voice was deep and abrupt.

"Do you know why she sent for us?" Gabrielle asked.

"She will tell you." He responded and motion towards a golden chariot drawn by four large black horses. "Please,…your chariot. The queen is expecting you for the mid-day meal. She will be angry if we are late."

Xena and Gabrielle followed the general to their waiting chariot. A servant helped Gabrielle into the chariot, looking at Xena, he decided she did not need his help.

Inside the chariot they sat quietly. Gabrielle was amazed at the soft padded seats, the padded sides of the chariot, the opulence of the royal chariot was unequaled by anything she had ever seen.

This is going to make a great story she thought as their voyage toward the palace continued.

"Any ideas on why she sent for us yet Xena?"

"No, …I’m not sure. Since they flew the mask of the Amazon Queen, I’m really not sure. I think she might actually have a proposition …for you."

"Why…me? What would the Queen of Egypt want with an Amazon Queen?"

"I’m not sure, Gabrielle, I’m not sure."

"Do you even have any wild guesses?"

"I can only think of a few things, an alliance or …war. But neither of them seem to make any sense…maybe an assassination plot. I’m just not sure." Xena was puzzled it wasn’t often that the leader of a foreign nation sent out legions of troops and a small navy scouring a continent for a Warrior Princess and an Amazon Queen.

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

The palace was enormous. The general led the way, escorting them down a corridor lined with servants and covered with tapestries. This was impressive, not even the finest halls in Athens looked like this, only the palaces of the Gods. Gold statuettes adorned with the finest jewels guarded the halls; large plants and trees grew inside the palace.

"Xena, have you ever seen anything like this?"

"No, the Kingdom of Chin wasn’t even this lavish."

They continued to walk in silence behind the general, his weapons and armor making soft clanging noises as the pieces brushed against each other as he walked. Xena surveyed their surroundings as they were led through one passage after another, each leading them closer to their destination.

The General stopped abruptly in front of a door, Gabrielle slammed into him as she continued to stare at the palace in awe. "My apologies for stopping so quickly, " he said, his voice deep and filled with sarcasm.

Backing up Gabrielle spoke, " I’m sorry, I’m just so amazed…there is nothing like this in my nation."

"Very well, …" The General opened the door in front of them. "Make yourselves comfortable, the Queen will be with you shortly." Malakon turned smartly and walked briskly away. They walked into the room and closed the door behind them.

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

A smiling Cleopatra entered the room and walked towards the still standing pair. Stopping in front of Gabrielle, she spoke. "Welcome to Egypt. I hope you’ll enjoy your stay."

Offering each of them a hand, she continued. "I bet you’re wondering why I brought you two here. Why I sent my best scouts to Greece looking for the two of you."

"We are." Gabrielle replied.

"Let us eat…and I’ll tell you." She led them to a table filled with food surrounded by servants willing to cater to their every need. "Sit down…please." With a simple motion of her hand, the servants filled their goblets with wine and left the trio alone. "Well, Xena…I owe you … my life. This is a debt I must repay. " Pausing briefly, she continued. " I have received word that the Caesar plans to destroy the Amazon Nation."

"How do you know this?" Gabrielle asked quickly.

"I have a very well placed source in Rome." Cleopatra’s response was confident.

"How well placed?" Xena asked, knowing it was difficult to get intelligence from the Romans, even harder to get accurate intelligence.

"A member of the Triumvirate."

"Pompey?" Xena asked.

"Caesar himself."

"Caesar!" Xena exclaimed. We’ve been set-up she thought. "Is he here ?"

"No…I know he doesn’t appreciate your talents. He has told me of his hate for you…he wants to kill you, but you know that…don’t you."

"It’s mutual." Xena replied coldly.

Cleopatra paused briefly before continuing. "He visited here several weeks ago. I want to offer you the protection of the Egyptian Crown."

"I…" Xena began to protest.

"Xena,…I owe you my life, please… let me repay you."

"Xena, please listen to her offer." Gabrielle pleaded with the warrior.

"He wants to move on Thrace and Athens…until he finds you." Cleopatra’s voice remained calm and increasingly persistent. "I can persuade him Xena, please consider...my scouts were able to find you in just a matter of days…"

Xena interrupted her, " I can’t drag your country into a war be…"

Cleopatra again began to speak, " He will listen to me, Xena…if he doesn’t he will never see his child." The room became silent and motionless. "I’m carrying his child." Cleopatra carefully opened her robe making her well-rounded stomach visible.

"I still can’t…" Xena protested.

"Then let me arm the Amazons. Gabrielle, surely you want to protect your people." Cleopatra appealed to the bard. "He knows how close you are…He said he’ll do whatever he has to …to kill you, Xena. Including destroying the Amazons and anything or anyone else that gets in his way.""

"Well.." Gabrielle’s voice trailed off as she spoke. "What kind of arms did you have in mind ?"

"An alliance between our two nations. I’ll give you all the arms that we can get in my ship out there."

"Why ? What do we have to do in return ?" Xena asked, puzzled by the queen’s generous offer.

"You’ve already done it, Xena…you saved my life. I remember promising you a party the world wouldn’t soon forget if you ever came to Egypt…well, if I do that Caesar will know you are here. Instead, a short vacation in my country, a shipload of the most modern arms and an alliance with my country is all I can offer."

"I accept." Gabrielle accepted the offer before Xena could refuse it. A shipload of new arms would supply the Amazons for years, as their queen, it was an offer she couldn’t refuse.

"Gabrielle!" Xena exclaimed, almost in disbelief.

"It’s a deal." Cleopatra quickly responded and extended her hand to Gabrielle. The deal had been forged. She turned her head and nodded to one of the serving girls. Within seconds General Malakon walked into the room. He looked at Cleopatra and she nodded. He said nothing but nodded in return and left the room as quickly as he entered. "Let us enjoy."

Reluctantly, Xena smiled and spoke softly. "Thank you, your offer is very generous."

She watched as Gabrielle walked to the food table and began to nibble on the fresh cut fruit. "Promise me this…if Caesar gets to me, you’ll make sure Gabrielle is protected."

"I will. She will be safe Xena, I will protect her with my own life if necessary, I give you my word." Cleopatra shook Xena’s hand sealing her promise to the warrior.

"Why arm the Amazons, they’re too far away to pose a thr.."

Cleopatra interrupted her, her simple words stunned the warrior. "My niece is there…" she paused briefly before finishing. "No one knows,… she has the last clear claim to the throne is anything happens to me."

"Do you have reason to worry?" Xena asked.

"Now more than ever."

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

 

The chamber that Cleopatra had them placed in was magnificent. The room was large and plush. The room’s centerpiece was a large bed with a post at each corner adorned with a large stoic cat. Silken linens and plush feather pillows laid on the bed. On it were two neatly folded robes, one somewhat longer than the other. Each carefully lain next to the other. The bed’s tightly woven protective netting was drawn back. Just like the ship, a hot drawn bath, and fresh foods awaited them.

Xena walked around the room, wondering which of the worlds other dignitaries had been guests in this chamber. The room had candles surrounded by glass, fine mirrors and golden statues. "The royal treatment."

"What did you say?"

"The royal treatment, Gabrielle, we’re getting the royal treatment."

"Well, I am a Queen you know." Gabrielle replied.

"Don’t you think you’re taking this royal thing a little far?" Xena asked as the smirk on her face widened.

Gabrielle shrugged, smiled and smugly replied. "No." She walked over to Xena and hugged her. Xena brought her arms up and held the bard closely.

"It’s so nice to have you do that."

"I’ve hugged you before, Xena." Gabrielle replied with a slight puzzled air to her voice.

"I know."

They were interrupted by a light tapping at the door. Gabrielle reluctantly let go of Xena as she walked to the door to answer it. She lifted the latch and pulled the door open. Two large guards armed with spears and swords stood motionless behind Cleopatra. "Give this to my niece, her name is Melanippe…" She opened her hand and revealed a small emerald trinket. Placing it in Xena’s hand, he turned and began to walk away.

"Melanippe…second-in-command Melanippe?" Xena asked.

Cleopatra stopped, turned slowly and looked at Xena. She didn’t speak, she closed her eyes and nodded.

Xena closed the door and walked across the room, showing the trinket to Gabrielle, she spoke. "Her niece is Melanippe, we’re to give this to her."

"Melanippe is her niece! " Gabrielle’s surprise showed in her voice. "That explains why she wants to arm the Amazons."

 

 

 

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

 

Stretching her legs in the tub, Xena relaxed. Letting the hot water loosen and soothe tired muscles, she closed her eyes and let her head rest against the tub’s edge.

"Xena," Gabrielle said softly as she walked up behind her. " Are you going to get out of there?" She put her hands on Xena’s wet shoulders and began to massage them. Bending down she whispered in her ear. "You’re not avoiding me are you?"

"No…this just feels so good, I don’t want to get out."

"Should I come back in?" Gabrielle asked in a seductively.

"If you do, I’ll never get out."

"I think I could convince you …if I had to."

"That feels so good…." Xena’s voice trailed off as Gabrielle continued to knead the stubborn muscles.

"You know, if you got out of there, I could do a better job." Her voice, still seductive, was beginning to convince Xena to abandon the tub. She leaned slowly and kissed Xena’s cheek; stood and walked away.

"Where you going?" Xena asked.

" I thought I’d have a little something to eat."

"What’s over there anyway." Xena asked with her eyes still closed.

"A lot."

"Like what?"

"There’s some meat, fruit, nutbread, different cheeses…" Gabrielle’s voice trailed off.

"Really." Xena opened her eyes and looked over toward the table. There stood Gabrielle, gazing at food plates, perfectly naked. "I’ll have some of what you’re having…."

As slowly and quietly as she could, Xena began to climb out of the tub.

"Okay. Do you want a little bit of everything?"

"Just a little meat, …and some bread and cheese." Xena replied, slowly inching closer.

How can she so this to me, just stand there naked. Doesn’t she know what she’s doing to me…maybe she does. Xena thought to herself.

"Okay."

Xena stood behind Gabrielle and whispered softly into her ear. "Give me a little more than that." Gabrielle jumped, startled. Xena reached around her and carefully took the plates from her hands and set them on the table.

 

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

* * * * *

Their ship, under the power of oarsmen, slowly made it’s way out of the Egyptian port city. The Egyptian and Amazon banners flying high on the main mast. They left the hospitality of an ally and were taking their memories with them. The ship’s captain walked toward them as they stood at the ships rail looking back at Alexandria. His voice deep and gravelly, he looked at Xena as he spoke. " Shall we set a course for the Amazon Nation?"

"Gabrielle, … the Amazon Nation?" Xena looked at Gabrielle as she spoke. The question asked earlier, it was time for Gabrielle to finally give her answer.

Looking at the Captain and speaking with a Queen’s demeanor, she spoke, "Set course for the Amazon Nation…best possible speed."

Turning away from them, he barked " Best possible speed, Amazon Nation."

Gabrielle looked at Xena and smiled, "Or did you want to go to Athens?"

"No, the Amazon nation it is… their Queen is having her joining ceremony. You do know that without winds, it’ll be several days before we get there if we stay under the oarsmen."

Grinning devilishly Gabrielle spoke, "should I tell them to stop? Besides, I’ve been on ships often enough that I don’t get seasick anymore, so a couple of days is really no problem." Gabrielle paused. " You didn’t answer…should I tell them to stop?"

"No, I want to be joined with you…but, we do have some time to check out the cabin."

"Maybe we should try the food this time…maybe."

 


TO BE CONTINUED – IN PART TWO – COMING SOON *

Return to Main Page