Ms. O’Connor Goes to Washington

Part 6

By: S. Lee

Disclaimers: These characters are mine although they may resemble a certain duo that we all know and love. There is sex between two women in this installment, so if you are underage or this offends, then this isn’t the story for you. This installment picks up immediately after the last one ends. Positive and constructive feedback is always welcome and greatly appreciated. You can email me at s_lee_bard@hotmail.com.

AUGUST

Jordan limped into the busy campaign office, welcomed with cheers and applause.

"Woohoo, ride ‘em cowgirl." She laughed and waved her hand to the group.

"Ok, ok, you all heard about my little exploits this weekend. It was fun, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again. Now get back to work you slackers."

The group laughed and got back to work. Jordan walked into her office, and started looking over her schedule. Sarah walked in, excited.

"Jordan you need to call Jamie Walker, immediately. He called for you this morning. I’m guessing its about the convention." Jordan sat down.

"That’s great. I hope its good news. The last thing I want is to be called onto the carpet by the leaders of the national party. Thanks for relaying the message." She got a devilish grin on her face. " So, how’s Tammy?" Jordan winked at her friend who beamed.

"She’s just fine. We’ve been seeing each other when we can. She‘s really quite special. "

"Well good for you. I wish you luck. Just remember who introduced you." Sarah smiled.

"Don’t worry boss, I won’t and thank you. Now call that man and see what he wants." She walked out of the office and Jordan picked up the phone to call the head of the Democratic National Committee.

"Jordan, its good to hear from you. How are things going down there?"

"They’re going well Jamie. We’re way ahead and donations are coming in steadily." The man was friendly and pleasant.

"Good, good. We’ve been watching you. A lot of people have been watching you actually. We like what we see. You’ve gained the attention of some pretty high powered people. We need to hold our lead in the Senate. The President has made it very clear that she wants you here in D.C. We want to help assure that you get this seat. If you do well at the convention, you’ll be launching yourself into national status. Doing well at the convention can seal your career. I want to meet with you and a few of your key staff members after you speak. In fact there are several people throughout the convention you need to meet. We can talk about your finances. Like I said, there are some top players outside of Texas who want to help you win this seat. It’s been held by Republicans for over twenty years. We want it back."

"Thank you Jamie. I appreciate that coming from you. I look forward to meeting with you."

"Keep up the good fight down there Jordan. We need you, and the President needs you." Jordan grinned.

"Thanks Jamie. I will. You can count on me."

" I’ll have my people fax the schedule for the convention to your people. I’ll make sure that the activities you need to be at are highlighted. I’ll talk to you soon. Bye."

"I appreciate it Jamie, bye."

Jordan hung the phone up and absorbed what all was said. She called Cynthia and Laura into her office. She was so excited, she could barely talk.

"I just got off the phone with Jamie Walker. He wants to meet with us after my speech. Apparently, there are quite a few people who want to meet with me. He said that there are some high powered people who want to see me elected." Cynthia smiled.

"Jordan, that could mean big money."

"Tell me about it. This could completely set us up." Laura put her hands on both of Jordan’s shoulders, looking in her eyes.

"This is it. You’re about to become a national player. This is what we’ve been waiting for. Get ready for this ride to get even crazier."

"I know. Every speech, everything I’ve done, has led me to this convention speech. It’s exciting, but a bit daunting. Do you have any idea how many people are going to be watching? Do you remember what this did for Ann Richards?" The impact of the upcoming speech overwhelmed Jordan, who sat down.

"Honey, you’re going to be brilliant. I have no doubts. C’mon, we need to go to the meeting to go over the month’s schedule."

The group assembled in the conference room as they do at the beginning of every month to go over the budget and schedule of appearances.

"Hi everyone, this is going to be the busiest and most important month of the campaign so far. After this month, we only have two full months of campaigning left. Now is the time to turn up the heat." Laura began to speak.

"You’re going out on the road tomorrow, we’re going to hit the small towns, go into local cafes, just meet the people. There are a few pre-arranged meetings, but otherwise, we’re just going to wing it. You do have a fundraiser dinner with a businesswomen‘s group in Dallas." Jordan nodded.

"Don’t forget I need to take Kate up to Massachusetts the second weekend of the month. I also need to be in town a few days before that to see Chris off."

"It’s already on the schedule. You’ll go to the convention in Atlanta immediately after. We’ll meet you there. We spend the week in Atlanta. There is a state employee charity softball tournament in Austin the weekend after that. The Governor wants you on his team. There will be teams made up of state legislators, and each department. The press will be there in droves. You’ve got a number of appearances for the weeks after that. You’ll get the details later. The last week, we have another debate, this time in Houston at the University of Houston campus. After that, is the Waltz Across Texas, the HRC fundraiser. You’ll need to speak a little and they are going to give you forty percent of the proceeds. If this convention goes well, you’re going to be in great demand, but it will also mean more donations coming in. The commercials are doing great. They‘re going all over the state and the new one will air next week." Jordan marked in her date book and looked up.

"That’s good Laura. What’s up with the finances Jim?"

"We’re at $1,345,972.00. Most of the money is going towards advertising. We’ve got radio and TV spots all over the state. You’re doing a bang-up job bringing in money. Just keep it up. Benson has deep pockets. He’s trying to buy this election basically, but its not working." Jordan smiled.

"Everyone is doing such an incredible job. I can’t imagine a better group to work with. Jim and Sarah, I need you to come to a meeting with Cynthia, Laura, and myself. The National Party leaders want to meet with us the night of my speech. I think it could result in some big, big money." Both nodded their understanding. "Is there anything else?"

"Don’t forget you’ve got that reception tonight, there are some phone interviews for you to do today. I have it all on your desk."

"Thanks Sarah. I’ve started working on the speech. I want us to finish it up this week. That’ll give us another two weeks to tweak it. Who is this reception with tonight?"

"It’s being hosted by the San Antonio AIDS Foundation. They‘re opening up a new alternative medicines wing and a meditative garden."

"That sounds nice. What time do I have to be there?"

"Seven."

"Ok. Well I guess this concludes the meeting if there’s no more new business."

Jordan spent the day giving phone interviews to newspapers in different parts of the state. That night, she, Laura, and Cynthia went to the reception at the AIDS Foundation. The director came over and greeted her as she walked in the door. She smiled, giving her old friend a hug.

"Hey stranger, its so good to see you. I’m glad you came." Jordan smiled.

"Its good to see you too David. How’ve you been?"

"I’ve been good. Come on girl, let me show you the new wing."

He led her through the AIDS care center.

"It’s changed a lot since I’ve been here."

"You haven’t been here in forever." Jordan laughed

"That’s true."

"This room is the hypnotherapy room, to help people deal with pain and side effects of all the medications. This next room is for massage therapy. This is going to be the shared office for the Volunteer Coordinator, and the Educator. This final room is for therapy. We are also opening up a library on this wing. It still needs a few finishing touches."

"This is wonderful David. You must be proud." The director grinned

"I am very proud. I’m glad you came tonight. I haven‘t seen you in forever. " She put her hand on his shoulder.

"Me too David." They went back through the facility to the meditative gardens where guests were gathered. There were also several reporters with cameras. The walked over to Jordan and the facility director.

"Ms. O’Connor, what brings you here tonight?"

"I’m here to celebrate the opening of the new wing with my good friend David. I’ve been an advocate of persons living with AIDS for years. I have volunteered with this facility. I have walked in the AIDS walk every year for the last fifteen years, and I’ve ridden in the AIDS charity bike rides. David is an old friend of mine. I am thrilled to see the wonderful work he is doing. I wish he weren’t quite so busy, but he’s doing a great job meeting the needs of the people here. This city is fortunate to have this facility and David as its director."

"Is AIDS funding a priority for you?"

"Yes it is. While it is not the death sentence it once was here in the United States, we are still a long way off from a cure. The drug cocktails that are required to maintain one’s health are extremely expensive and cause a wide variety of difficult side effects. In addition, there are drug resistant strains of the virus developing all the time. We need to keep doing research. Just because HIV and AIDS have become a condition with which people can live long lives, this is not the time to slack off."

"How are you feeling about your speech at the Democratic National Convention this month?" Jordan smiled.

"I’m very excited. This is an exciting month for me. My daughter is going off to college for the first time, my son is going back to UT, and I have the speech in Atlanta. It is a tremendous opportunity. " She smiled and leaned in to the reporter as if she was sharing a secret. "I’m a little nervous though. I don’t even want to think about how many people will be watching." They both laughed.

"What are you speaking about?"

"I’m going to be speaking about serving your community. We have a need in this community, and in every community for people to share their time, and their resources. This country has such a need for a resurgence in volunteerism."

The reporter nodded and thanked Jordan. Jordan returned the thank you and went off to greet people in the hot August evening.

Later at home, Jordan was sitting in her favorite chair, in her shorts and t-shirt and her glasses, tapping away on her laptop surrounded by position papers. Cynthia smiled as she watched her work. She walked up and kissed the top of Jordan’s head. She smiled, but didn’t stop working.

"How’s the speech coming?"

"It’s going well I think. I’ll let you take a look at it tomorrow."

"I’m going to bed. Are you going to stay up and work?" Jordan nodded as she looked over some papers.

"Yes honey."

"Do you want me to get you some water or anything before I go?"

"No thanks Cyn. Go on to bed. I’ll be there soon." Cynthia looked at her and smiled.

"Don’t stay up too late."

"I won’t."

"I love you. Goodnight sweetheart." Jordan looked up and smiled.

"Goodnight. I love you too."

About three in the morning, Cynthia turned over and reached for Jordan who wasn’t there. She got up and walked into the living room and found Jordan asleep in her big armchair with her feet propped up on an ottoman with the computer on her lap. She shook her head and laughed. She walked over to her lover and shut the computer down. She kneeled next her and gently woke the sleeping woman.

"Honey, wake up. Come to bed." Jordan opened her eyes, and looked around, confused. "I must have fallen asleep." Cynthia took her hand and led her to bed.

The next day the group left for the next week driving from town to town, talking to people. She listened to their concerns about education, unemployment, taxes, health care. Some people weren’t very welcoming of a liberal lesbian who advocated gun control, but she enjoyed the opportunity to meet people in their own setting.

The next week, she returned home to help her children get ready to leave, while working on the campaign. They had a family dinner, the last time they would all be together for months. Chris was scheduled to leave for Austin the next day. She took him into her study to speak with him in private.

"Chris, you’re going to be graduating this Spring, and you’ll be looking to start your career." He looked up at his mother.

"Yes ma’am."

"You’ve done a wonderful job this summer. I am extremely proud of you son. You were remarkable. You handled everything last May with grace. You were so brave when you came looking for me. If and when I get elected, I want you on my staff in D.C." The young man smiled.

"I appreciate that Mom, but I don’t want to get the job just because I am your son. I’d like to make it on my own." She smiled. He was so much like her.

"I am not offering you a job because you are my son. I am offering you a job because you can do it and you can do it well. I want you on my team. You’ll be pretty low on the totem pole, but the perks are great." He smiled and stood to shake her hand.

"I appreciate the offer Mom. Let me take it into consideration ok?" She pulled him into a hug.

"That’s all I ask. Just think about it. Believe me, I would be lucky to have you. You have a bright future ahead of you. There will be many people trying to snap you up." They both laughed.

"Thanks Mom." She kissed his head.

"I love you Chris." He blushed.

"I love you too. It was a great Summer. I learned a lot and I had fun." She hugged him again, fighting back tears of sadness, that she shed at the end of every summer when he left, and pride at the man her son had become. The mother and son had a special, unique connection. They were two of a kind. They walked back out to the living room where everyone was gathered.

She sat watching them all. She watched her daughter laughing with James. She smiled at her family around her. She stood up.

"I hope everyone can bear with me for a few minutes. This is the last time we’ll all be able to get together until Thanksgiving or maybe even Christmas. I want to tell everyone thank you for coming tonight and that I love y’all very much. It’s going to be hard having both of you two kids out of the house." She began to cry. Cynthia took her hand. "Having you and watching you grow to be the intelligent, kind, and independent adults that you are has been my greatest gift and joy. I know there were times it seemed that my campaign or job came before you. I also know having me for a mother wasn’t the easiest thing. But you both put up with me and have always supported me. Of course, I also had lots of help from your Dad and Cynthia. Letting you both go is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. Chris, you’ve been going off to school for a few years now and you’ve always been close by. But this time, I won’t be close and you will be going off to start your career after you graduate. So it feels like you’re leaving for good this time. I will tell you that regardless of what happens in this world, I will always be available to you. Kate, you’re going to be on the other side of the bloody country. But, you’ve chosen a wonderful school and you’re going to love it. I love you both and I am so proud of you." Kate and Chris wrapped their mother in their arms. Most of the people in the room were crying at that point.

The next day, Chris got in his jeep and drove off to his new apartment in Austin. Jordan smiled as she watched him drive away. At least she would see him semi-frequently until she went to D.C. The campaign was waiting for her, so she wouldn’t have time to dwell on it too much. They were busy preparing everything for the convention the following week. She arrived home that evening to start packing for her trip to Amherst, Massachusetts. She walked by Kate’s room as the young woman was putting her things in suitcases and duffel bags. Jordan stood at the door and quietly watched her. She looked up and smiled at her.

"Hi Mom."

"Are you getting everything?"

"I think so."

"Are you excited? This is your first time living away from home." The teenager smiled.

"I am. I’m nervous though. What if I hate my roommate?" Jordan walked in the room, laughing.

"Then you’ll have a great college roommate horror story to tell when you get older, like most people."

"I worry about whether or not I’ll be able to cut it."

"Kate, I won’t lie to you. You’re going to a challenging school. But you are an extremely intelligent young woman. I have no doubt in my mind that you’re going to succeed. You got into this school, you’re going to do great. It’s going to be weird not having you around though. I’m so proud of you. I will miss you so much." Kate looked at her.

"I’m going to miss you too Mom."

The next day Jordan, Cynthia, James, and Kate left for Mt. Holyoke. The campus was packed with new and returning students and their parents. The parents found Kate’s dorm and helped her take her things in. Cynthia looked around her old alma mater.

"Kate, you’re going to love it here. These old buildings are wonderful. I remember my coming here like it was yesterday."

A young dark haired woman walked into Kate’s room carrying suitcases. Kate’s eyes widened when she saw the young woman in jeans and white t-shirt. She sat her bags down and held her hand out to Kate. She had a huge grin on her face, which Kate returned.

"Hi, you must be Kate O’Connor. My name is Jo Rizzuto. I’m your roommate."

"Yes I am. It’s nice to meet you. This is my mother, Jordan O’Connor, her partner Cynthia Price, and my dad James O’Connor." The friendly young woman offered her hand to Kate’s family.

"It’s nice to meet you all." Jordan’s gaydar was going off like crazy. She wasn’t sure what to think.

"It’s nice to meet you too Jo. Are your parents here with you?" Jo smiled again.

"No ma’am. They live in Martha’s Vineyard, so I am close enough to see them frequently."

Kate walked over to her family.

"Why don’t y’all go ahead and go to the hotel. I’ll be fine here. I need to start unpacking." Jordan felt a pain in her chest. That was hard to hear.

"Well ok. We’ll be back at seven to pick you up for dinner. Jo would you like to join us? We’re taking Kate out to dinner."

Jo smiled pleasantly. "Sure. Thank you."

"Good. We’ll leave you two to get to know one another and unpack." She walked up to her daughter, kissing her on the head.

Kate turned to Jo.

"Argghhh...parents. They love me but they are a bit overprotective. I’m the last one to leave home, so my parents are kind of emotional." Both girls started laughing.

"They just love you. You’ve got two moms huh? Very cool. I wish my mom were gay. Your mom looks familiar. What does she do?"

"She’s running for the U.S. Senate. She’s been on a number of national TV news shows and magazines, especially gay magazines. She’s speaking next week at the Democratic Convention."

"Wow. That must be where I’ve seen her. Didn’t she have that plane crash a few months ago?" Kate nodded.

"Yep, that was her."

"So that must be hard with all that attention you must get?" Kate nodded again.

"Yeah. It can be a real pain in the ass. Sometimes, people say things about her and our family. It’s hard having people and cameras all around you. It’s one of the reasons I wanted to come all the way up here. It can suck being constantly compared to her. Living in her shadow isn’t the easiest thing . But I love her very much and wouldn’t want any other mother. She‘s really an astounding person."

Jo said, "I’m sure you’re quite something yourself." The two women shared a smile, and then resumed unpacking.

The parents walked out of the dorm building and Cynthia proceeded to show the group around the campus. James turned to the two women.

"So what do y’all think of that roommate? Think those two will get along?" Jordan put her hand on his shoulder.

"She seems to be a very nice girl. I think Kate will be fine."

Later, at the hotel, Jordan looked at Cynthia.

"Hey Cyn, did your gaydar go off around that girl?" Cynthia looked up from her papers.

"Actually honey, it did."

"Mine too. That concerns me a little."

"Why would that concern you?" Jordan looked at her ashamed.

"I guess I’m worried about Kate."

"Oh come on Jordan. Over fifty percent of the student population at this school is lesbian at least until graduation, you know that. Believe me, her roommate is not her only exposure. Why would you be worried about Kate anyway?"

"What if she..you know becomes involved?" Cynthia looked at her.

"Are you worried about her becoming a lesbian?"

"I am ashamed to say it, but I think I am."

"Why would that be a problem?"

"It’s not a problem. I’m not going to condemn or disown her or anything like that. She’s my baby. I just worry about her. Life isn’t easy for a gay woman. Look at what happened to the headquarters. Look at what happened to that poor boy in Wyoming. What if something happens to her because she’s gay? I don’t want her to go through some of the things we’ve been through. Hell, your lousy family abandoned you." Cynthia walked up to her and put her arms around Jordan’s neck. Jordan wrapped her arms around Cynthia’s waist, holding her tightly. Cynthia pressed her lips against Jordan’s.

"Jordan, I think you may be jumping to conclusions. If she is gay, then all you can do is love and support her."

"I’m not going to be able to protect her anymore from anything." Cynthia held her.

"She’s going to be fine. We all have to leave home and make our own way in the world."

"You’re right. This is so hard. With Chris, he was only an hour and a half away. I won’t hardly see her."

"I know. It will be ok honey. You have to let her go." Jordan held onto Cynthia as her heart broke.

Jordan’s concerns were soothed over dinner as she got to know the young woman her daughter would be living with for the semester. She was friendly, charming, and intelligent. Plus, Jordan always knew she could easily have this girl investigated by her friends in the FBI if she needed to. ‘Ha Ha Ha. Power is a good thing.’ When Jordan dropped off her daughter and Jo back at the dorm, she said good-bye, crying. Jordan and Cynthia had to leave for Atlanta the next day for the National Convention.

"Well kiddo, it looks like this is it."

"I guess so." Jordan was holding her daughter tightly, not wanting to let go.

"Mom, you’re kind of choking me. Let go." Jordan loosened her grip.

"My arms don’t seem to want to let go." Kate began to cry.

"I love you." Jordan was bawling at this point.

"I love you too. Now remember, if you go to a party, don’t get drunk. It dulls the senses and you could end up doing something you regret. Also, don’t ever let anyone get you a drink. Get your own and then keep an eye on it at all times." Kate laughed.

"Mother, how many times have you given me this talk. I can take care of myself. I’ll be fine. I’ll be watching the convention, good luck." Jordan pulled her daughter into one last hug.

"One more hug for the road. I love you Kate. If you need anything, I’m only a phone call away."

"I know, I love you too Mom." James stepped up to the two.

"Ok, now it’s my turn." The proud father stood with tears in his eyes.

"You take care of yourself. Did you pack that mace I gave you?" Kate rolled her eyes.

"Yes Dad."

"Ok honey, if you need anything, just call me. I love you and I’m very proud of you. You’re going to do great." The young woman hugged her father tightly, tears falling down her cheeks.

"I will Daddy. I love you too." The strong man stepped aside, quietly wiping the moisture from his eyes. Cynthia stepped up wrapping her arms around Kate.

"Study hard and have fun. If you need any advice about professors or anything here, let me know, I’m on the alumni list and I have some friends on the faculty. Call often please, we’re going to miss you. I love you Katie Beth."

"Thanks Cynthia, I love you too. Take care of Mom for me."

"I will."

They pulled away from one another and Kate walked into her dorm building, leaving her parents standing there, sniffling, and waving. All three sighed in unison as they watched their little girl walk away. Quiet sadness filled the car on the drive to the hotel. That night in bed, Cynthia ran her hands along her partner’s back as the candidate laid silently. She whispered, "talk to me Jordan. What’s going on in your head?" Jordan turned around to face her.

"A million things. I worry that I wasn’t a very good mother. I spent so much time with my career. For several years when I worked in the Governor’s office, I didn’t even live with them three or four days of the week. They said they were ok with it, but when they look back, what are they going to think? Now they’re gone, I’m afraid of what I’ve missed. I worry that Kate’s so far away. Not only that, I’ve got the most important speech of my life in a few days. This week will probably determine where my career is going to go. I‘m not too worried about that though."

Cynthia reached up and brushed her hands through her lover’s hair.

"Oh Sweetheart. You’ve been a wonderful mother. You’ve taught them so many great lessons. You may not have been there every single day, but they had other parents besides you. It gave James and me the chance to raise them. Look at Chris and what a great job he is doing in school and on the campaign. You offered him a job, but the truth of the matter is, you will probably have competition from other people who know you both and have watched him and want him to come work for them. Kate is going to one of the best schools in the country. They’re happy, wonderful people and they adore you. As far as this speech goes, you are going to knock it out of the park." Jordan smiled.

"You’re right you know, as usual. That really bugs me too." Cynthia laughed.

She leaned in and placed her lips softly against Jordan’s. Jordan allowed her entrance. Cynthia covered Jordan’s body with her own. She began to ease Jordan’s anxiety with her love. She straddled Jordan’s waist, lifting her shirt above her head, tossing it aside. She held Jordan’s hands above her head and lowered her lips to meet the moist ones beneath her. Jordan ran her hands along Cynthia’s back, pulling her down against her. The women moaned into one another. Jordan placed soft kisses along Cynthia’s jaw line, neck, shoulders, and just above her breasts. She whispered against Cynthia’s warm skin, "I love you Cyn, so very much. I need you. I want you." Cynthia sat up, lifting Jordan with her. She pulled Jordan’s shirt as she straddled her hips. Jordan held her tightly, pressing her lips against Cynthia’s, demanding and receiving entrance. Cynthia wrapped her fingers in her lover’s hair. Tongues stroked and danced together, as the women moaned against one another. Jordan pushed Cynthia back, lying on top of her. She slowly removed Cynthia’s panties, resuming her place above her. Jordan could feel Cynthia’s wet center through her own underwear. She began to grind against Cynthia. Cynthia groaned, her breathing became quick and ragged. "Oooohhhh God, baby. Take those off, NOW." Jordan grinned. "Take them off me." Cynthia sat up slightly and lowered her partner’s underwear. Jordan resumed her position between Jordan’s thighs. Jordan ground her hot wetness against Cynthia’s. The women began to rock against one another, moaning loudly. Jordan could tell that Cynthia’s climax was approaching when she wrapped her legs tightly around her, pulling her in tightly. Cynthia cried out her pleasure as she reached her orgasm, thrusting hard against Jordan. This was enough to set Jordan off as she drove her hips into Cynthia as she climaxed, her passion exploding. She kept grinding against Cynthia as the blonde came over and over again, her face turning a deeper shade of red each time she peaked. Finally Jordan laid beside her, light sheen of sweat on both women. Both women were smiling, exhausted, and breathing heavy.

"My word Jordan. That was......WOW. I feel like I’m about to pass out." Jordan began to chuckle. "You’re about to pass out? I think I reached muscle failure, my arms feel like jello." Cynthia turned on her side, laying her head on Jordan’s shoulder, wrapping her arm around the taller woman’s waist. Jordan kissed the top of Cynthia’s soft, blonde head. "I love you so much Cynthia. I don’t know what I did those six years without you." Cynthia burrowed deeper into her lover. "I love you too Jordan, more than ever." Jordan smiled as she felt Cynthia breathing against her. "You know what one of my greatest wishes is for my kids? I want them to have moments like this one. I want them to be able to be wrapped in the arms of the one they love and who loves them in return, spent and satisfied. These moments with you are so perfect." She pulled Cynthia up to face her and cupped her face between her hands, her fingertips in resting in the blonde hair. "Thank you Cynthia; for coming back, for loving me, for giving us a second chance, for being the one person who understands every little part of me, and for moments like these. There was a time in my life when I didn‘t think it was possible for me to feel like this ever again. I watch you when you sleep. I listen to you breathe and I thank God I’ve got you beside me." Cynthia smiled, tears rolling down her cheeks. "You blow me away sometimes. I don’t know what to say. I never stopped loving you. I had no choice but to come back. You are the only woman I ever truly loved. I live for these moments with you. When I am looking in your eyes like this, I have no doubt that I’m going to spend the rest of my life with you. We were meant to be together Jordan, that’s all there is to it. I love you." Emotional tears were flowing on the cheeks of both women. Jordan wrapped her arms tightly around Cynthia. "I hope the kids turn out to be as lucky as I am."

The next day, the couple arrived at their hotel in Atlanta that was bustling with politicians and delegates from all over the country. Jordan ran into several people she knew. She met up with Laura, Jim, and Sarah and went over a busy agenda given to her by the National Party leaders. The convention opened up that night with thousands of people crowding the Georgia Dome. It was a huge party atmosphere and Jordan loved every minute of it. The President sent Jordan a note, asking the candidate to meet her at her suite later that evening.

The reception with the President and Vice-President was filled with powerful Hollywood executives. She spent much of her time speaking to an Academy Award winning director and his wife. He seemed to be quite interested in her domestic social views. By the end of the night, the couple had given her a donation of several thousand dollars. The next couple of days was a blur of meetings, people, and parties as she prepared for her speech that Wednesday.

The night came and Jordan and her entourage sat in her dressing room, preparing for the big speech. Her black hair speckled with silver was pulled back. She wore a white blouse and navy blue skirt and jacket. She moved backstage as she was being introduced. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, focusing on the task ahead. Her blood was rushing through her veins. She felt as if her body conducted electricity. She had waited for this moment her entire life. Cynthia watched her quietly, smiling. Just as she was walking out, Cynthia kissed her lightly. "I love you Jordan." Jordan smiled and strode onto the stage, with presence and poise. The thousands and thousands of people in attendance cheered and roared. Jordan stepped up to the podium and waved. As they calmed, she began.

"In 1960, candidate John F. Kennedy stood before ten thousand students at the University of Michigan at two a.m. and unveiled his plan to promote peace throughout the world by sending the young people of this country to underdeveloped countries around the world to work and to teach and to learn. He asked how many of them would be willing to serve. Hundreds of thousands of volunteers have answered that call since that speech. In 1987, when I graduated from the University of Texas, I heard that call. When they say it is the toughest job you’ll ever love, they weren’t lying. It was the most difficult job I have ever had, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. I saw first-hand the benefits of communities working together. I helped them build homes, schools, medical clinics, and churches. When we work together, anything is possible. This country can reach unprecedented levels when we work together as a united country for the benefit of the future. During the Depression, we had the Civilian Conservation Corp. and in 1993, AmeriCorp and Senior Corp were created. It seems as though, every few years, there is a grand call to service. We had it during the Depression, during the sixties, in the nineties," she smiled, "and now it is my turn. I am going to borrow someone else’s words. I want every American citizen to ask not what your country can do for you , but ask what you can do for your country." Cheers erupted and Jordan took a minute for the applause to die down. "I am commissioning every American to serve their country and their community, roll up your sleeves and let‘s get to work. Mentor a child, teach other adults to read, clean up a dirty, empty lot and turn in into a play ground for your neighborhood. Deliver meals to shut-ins, work in a soup kitchen, work in your church, do something. If we all pull together, as a united people, there are no limits to which this great country of ours can reach. I want every young person to join AmeriCorp, the Peace Corp, or the military service, or Habitat for Humanity. There are so many areas in which we can work. This country’s future is not in the hands of those who govern. This country’s future is in the hands of Americans working together to make this nation successful."

At the conclusion of the speech, Jordan absorbed the cheers of the thousands of people in attendance. A thunderous ovation continued for five minutes. Jordan smiled, bowing her head in an expression of gratitude. Finally, she waved to the crowd and walked off the stage. Her staff was waiting for her. The other speakers, convention workers and various people backstage applauded and congratulated her as she walked back and exhaled the breath she had been holding for what felt like nearly a half-hour. She was in a daze as she shook hands, thanking people, the noise was just a buzz in her ear. Her gaze fell upon Cynthia, who opened her arms. Jordan just let herself be drawn in.

"You did it baby. You did it. I’m so proud of you . You were magnificent. I knew you could do it."

Suddenly Jordan dropped back into herself. She tightened her hold on Cynthia.

"Oh my God. Did you see that? I got a standing ovation for several minutes. That was the most amazing thing. I‘ve never had a speech like that."

Laura came up and hugged the both of them.

"Woman, that was fantastic. You were great."

" I can’t describe how I felt out there."

"You were brilliant Jordan. You did it."

The group went to watch the rest of the convention, but kept being interrupted by people congratulating her. At the end of the night, she went up to see the heads of Democratic National Committee. She walked into the room that was filled with some of the most influential people in the country and the Party.

"Jordan, come on in. You did beautifully. I am beyond pleased. Come celebrate with us." The group came in and sat down and met the people in the room. Jamie handed her and her group glasses of champagne. "I’ve been getting several calls about you this evening. You’re wanted for interviews on the major network morning shows and Larry King Live. We’re thrilled with your performance. However, I do have some concerns. You are a lesbian, but you’re obviously in a monogamous relationship, so its not as much of a problem. You know they are looking for dirt on you." Jordan nodded.

"Yes I know. You also know that it’s not my style to do that with my opponents."

"Yes. What I’m getting at Jordan, is will they find anything? Have you had affairs with your interns, secretaries, etc.? Are there any pictures from college or anything that could show up as incriminating?" Jordan internally panicked slightly, but didn’t let it show.

"Of course not. Listen, there may be pictures of me protesting, or petitions I’ve signed, but I am proud to stand by all of those things. I haven’t lived like a nun, but I have lived like someone who wanted to hold public office. I have been very careful." The man laughed heartily.

"That’s what I like to hear. We want this seat badly. The Republicans have had it for too damn long. You could also end up with committee seats as well. We want to help assure your win. We’re contributing four million dollars to your campaign. This should help carry you to the end. Plus, I’m sure before you leave here, you’ll have more donation checks."

"Yes. My concern is that this money isn’t free. So, what do you want me to do for the party?" Jamie laughed again.

"I like you Jordan. You don’t pull any punches. We may call on you from time to time for small favors, to help out a fellow Democrat by co-sponsoring a bill or making sure one of the President’s special bills makes it through committee. Our issues aren’t contrary to yours. I don’t think you will have any problems with it. We do expect you to possibly accept some advice regarding your campaign." Jordan nodded her head. Her term was going to be filled with making deals.

"I understand. You realize I am careful who I accept money from. I know that if I accept big money from people, that I may owe them favors, and that is not how I want to spend my time of service." Jamie nodded his head in understanding.

"That’s a refreshing attitude, perhaps a bit naive. You‘ll see. You‘ll be getting calls from this group or that group demanding you do one thing or another because they gave you money. You‘re going to have to take those things into consideration."

"I understand that."

The meeting continued on as Laura and Cynthia’s mobile phones rang like crazy with people wanting Jordan to do their news shows. After the meeting, Jordan left, reeling with the events of the evening. Late that night she stood on her balcony, looking out onto the city of Atlanta. She had spoken to everyone in her family and many of her friends, all congratulating her. She was scheduled to appear via satellite on five different television shows over the next three days. She was the new rising star of the moment. She was absorbing all the wondrous events. She felt as if she could fly across the quiet city. Cynthia came up behind her, wrapping her arms around the taller woman’s waist. Jordan smiled and laid her hands across the welcome arms. She leaned back against her lover.

"Penny for your thoughts Senator." Jordan chuckled.

"You know I love it when you call me that. I am just thinking about what an incredible night this has been." Cynthia kissed her shoulder.

"You are quite amazing my love. I’ve never seen you speak like that before."

"I’ve never spoken like that."

"You’ve just got to ride through this last ten weeks and the election is yours."

"I know. It’s amazing. I am on the verge of having absolutely everything I ever wanted. I can’t begin to describe how exciting that is." Cynthia squeezed, pressing her cheek against Jordan’s back.

"I know exactly what this means to you darlin’." Jordan turned around in her lover’s arms.

"You do, don’t you." She leaned down and placed her lips against Cynthia, who ran her hands up and down the taller woman’s back.

"You need to get some sleep. You’ve got interviews very early in the morning." Jordan laughed. "I know. I wish I could sleep. I feel way to good." Cynthia laughed with her.

"Come with me. I think I can tire you out." She reached up and kissed Jordan soundly.

"Can you now?" Cynthia grinned and nodded. "mmhm." She pulled Jordan’s hand, leading her to the bed. Jordan followed, surrendering to her. Cynthia sat her down on the bed. She allowed her robe to slide down her shoulders and her body. Jordan pulled her into her arms resting her head against the warm, naked skin, listening to her heartbeat. She pushed Jordan onto her back. She straddled the taller woman’s hips and lifted the t-shirt over her head. She began to devour the delicious, full breasts of her lover. Jordan moaned at the contact. Cynthia left a moist trail of kisses down Jordan’s body. When she reached the apex of Jordan’s desire, she lowered Jordan’s panties and feasted on the passion nectar she found. Jordan bucked her hips in response. Cynthia lapped at the juices, running her tongue in circles around her lover’s clit. "Oh Cynthia. Don’t stop. Good Lord, don’t stop." Cynthia began to suck on Jordan’s clit as she entered her. Jordan felt herself falling over the edge. Her hips rose as she climaxed, holding tightly onto Cynthia’s head. She cried out her orgasm loudly. Cynthia waited until the orgasm subsided before she eased her fingers out. Jordan pulled her up on top of her.

"You my dear, are an incredible lover." Cynthia giggled. Jordan covered her lips with her own. "and a beautiful one at that. She rolled over, pinning Cynthia under her. The smaller woman laughed and ran her fingers through Jordan’s hair and over her face.

"Oh am I now?" Jordan leaned in and kissed her lightly.

"Yes you are. In fact, I believe you have bewitched me, "she said in a seductive purr. She placed a trail of soft kisses all along Cynthia’s face.

"And how have I done that?" Jordan’s kisses began to move lower until she reached Cynthia’s nipple, where she began to suckle.

"For one thing, when I see these breasts of yours, I cannot keep my hands or my mouth off of them." Cynthia’s head fell back as she allowed herself to be carried away with the sensations. In a voice that was halfway between a moan and a breathless whisper, she said. " Yesssss. Keep talking." She moved up and placed light, fluttering kisses on Cynthia’s eyelids.

"After just one look in your eyes, I become incapable of seeing anything else." She wrapped her arm around Cynthia, looking into her eyes as her hand trailed down between her lover’s legs. She aggressively placed her lips on top of Cynthia’s, taking control of her mouth and tongue. She began to run her fingers between Cynthia’s nether lips, feeling the wet heat that had been building up. She easily slid her fingers inside Cynthia. "And when you’re slick and wanting like this, I have no choice, but to plunge my fingers deeply inside. It is uncontrollable." She locked eyes with Cynthia as she moved in and out of her.

"I want you to look in my eyes as I take you Cyn. I want you to know who is loving you." The women held one another’s gaze as Cynthia’s desire grew in intensity. Jordan began to move deeper and faster. She could feel Cynthia’s muscles begin to tighten as her hips thrust up and down. "You’re about to cum, I can feel it. Let go honey. I’ve got you. " Cynthia’s hips began to move wildly. "Oh Jordan, yes. Don’t stop. Oh Baby. Yes." Cynthia gave an animalistic groan as the orgasm ripped through her. Jordan encouraged her. "Yes, that’s it. That’s it." As the swells of desire began to level, the women looked in each other’s eyes, both full of love. Jordan wrapped her arms protectively around her lover, both of them basking in the afterglow.

"So, do you think you can sleep now since we have to get up in three hours," Cynthia said.

"I think I can sleep now, thank you." They both laughed.

Jordan spent the next few days in a whirlwind of interviews, appearances, and meetings. She received more donations from out of state wealthy Democrats. She flew into Austin Saturday night for the charity softball game. She was suffering from very little sleep when she arrived at the Governor’s mansion to join her team before heading to the tournament. The Governor greeted her with open arms.

"Well if it isn’t the superstar Senator gracing us with her presence," he teased.

"What can I say? I’m slumming today. How’ve you been Alex?" They both laughed.

"I’ve been great. I miss having you around though. It’s not as much fun. You did such a great job in Atlanta, Jordan. How’s the fundraising coming?"

"Thank you Alex. That means a lot coming from you. I am set for the rest of the campaign."

"Good, good. So are you ready to play today?"

She laughed. "Yeah. I’m playing second, right?"

He nodded. "That’s what you requested. There’s going to be plenty of press there today. It should be good for you. There are many legislators and state-wide offices who are running for re-election there today. Why don’t you help some of them out and make appearances with them?"

"My schedule is booked for the month, but we’ll see what we can do in September and October."

Later on the field, with Cynthia, her son, and Laura in the stands, Jordan stood at second place as one of her former legislative rivals. He had made it his goal to go against any legislation she brought forth. ‘Oh yeah’ she thought. ‘If there is any justice in this world, let me bring this asshole down.’ He stepped up to the plate. The pitcher threw the ball and the middle-age, Republican legislator hit a pop-fly that was heading towards Jordan. Seeing that the ball was over her head, she began to run back, watching the ball over her shoulder. She jumped and took the ball out of the air. She held the ball in the air with her other hand. The deflated, pompous ass, walked back to the dugout. Jordan felt ten feet tall. She felt even taller when she sent a grounder right through his legs. As she ran past him, she couldn’t help herself, she laughed her way to second base.

She spent the next week campaigning as usual and preparing for the second debate. She felt confident and strong and couldn’t wait to face her opponent. People were wanting her time and to give her money. She was flying high and could do no wrong. She walked onto the stage with her entourage and greeted her opponent.

"Kris, it’s nice to see you again. How’ve you been?" He returned the handshake.

"Jordan, its good to see you as well. I caught your speech. You did a fine job."

"Thank you, good luck tonight." He nodded his head and smiled.

"To you as well."

They both walked off in separate directions. She thought to herself, ‘rat’. Kris Benson walked away thinking, ‘bitch’. The mediator welcomed the audience to the debate.

"Welcome to the second in a series of three debates between Senate candidates Jordan O’Connor and Kris Benson. The questions will be asked by a panel of newspaper journalists from five different papers throughout the state. Each candidate will have two minutes to respond. Ms. O‘Connor, would you please make your opening statement?"

Jordan smiled. "I’d like to thank the organizers of this debate, the esteemed panelists, the viewers across Texas, and of course my opponent, Mr. Kris Benson. As I have stated throughout this campaign, I am committed to the people of Texas. Their concerns are my concerns. I am committed to improving the quality of life for Texans and Americans. I carry the values of Texas always, as taught to me by my grandparents and parents. It is my goal and my driven ambition to bring the honesty, integrity, and respect that we value here in Texas, to the Senate in D.C."

Kris began his introduction. "I too am committed to the improvement in the quality of life for Texans and Americans. But rather than tax Americans to death to pay for more and more social programs, when the ones we currently have don’t work, we need better management of our taxes, in order to prevent more money being taken out of our pockets. This is one of the main differences between my opponent and myself. Our already big government is getting bigger and our salaries aren’t. The big-hearted liberals want to help everyone, unfortunately, it isn’t fair for those Americans who work hard to support their families and send their children to college to have to pay for those who can’t or won’t. As a successful businessman with a proven management track record, it is my goal to lower the tax burden of Americans, and to help them keep the money we work so hard for."

The first journalist spoke. "Quality of education is one of the main concerns of parents. Many of them support the idea of receiving vouchers to send their child to the school of their choice. Where do you both stand on the issue of private school vouchers?"

Kris gave his answer. "I think it is every child’s right to get the best education possible. School vouchers help them achieve that. We shouldn’t punish kids by forcing them to go to schools that don’t challenge them or meet their academic needs. It seems cruel to force a child to go to an inferior school where they would receive an inferior education. School vouchers put the responsibility of that decision where it should be, in the hands of the parents."

Jordan responded. "The idea of school vouchers is a good one. However, in practice, all it does is drain money from the public schools who need it the most. I agree that we need to improve the quality of our public schools. The answer is not to take money from them. We need to equalize the levels of education. For instance, in San Antonio, a school on the North side, where there are higher property values and taxes is going to have better facilities and a more expansive curriculum than a school on the south side where the tax base is much lower. Parents want their children to have the best education possible. Instead of pulling money away from schools that are already floundering, we need to help schools raise their levels of education."

The next journalist asked her question. "There are many, many families in Texas who are not here legally, but have been here for years that consist of children who are citizens and parents who are not. How do you both propose to resolve this issue."

Jordan answered the question. "I support amnesty in what I call family reunification. There are three to four million hardworking people, who have been here for at least ten years, who have given birth to children here in order to give those children a better life. These people pay taxes under fake social security numbers, but they don’t take advantage of these services because it would cause a paper trail that could expose them. I would like to see the families that have been here for over ten years legalized. These families shouldn’t fear separation. Our country has been seen as the great land of opportunity. For years, we’ve lauded the families who braved the unknown just to see Lady Liberty and to have a better life. They are the backbone of this country’s history. But we seem to have a double standard when it comes to our neighbors from the south. Just because those coming to this country from our Southern border, do not have to cross an ocean, that doesn’t make them any less worthy of citizenship."

Jordan’s opponent began his response." That’s a very nice sentiment, it’s also a very liberal one and not very practical. We have such an influx of illegal immigrants on our borders, that our border patrol agents are overrun. The illegal immigrants come into this country, threatening those who have property along the borders. They take jobs away from hard working citizens, then they demand our protection and the use of our vast social services. I know this is the greatest country in the world, but we don’t have a limitless amount of resources to care for the countless number of people who come in regular waves. We do need more border guards and more support for this from the federal government."

The questions continued and Jordan controlled the debate easily. The candidates moved into their closing statements. Jordan took the opportunity to rebut the comment made earlier about her being a big government liberal who didn’t care about taxes.

"As a tax-paying American, I am concerned about our taxes being wasted on needless expenses. I am aware that unlike my millionaire opponent, whose salary has increased every year for the last twenty years, salaries for the general public are not going up. I think that providing our children with decent childcare, education ,and jobs for their parents is more important than providing tax relief for the wealthy who don’t need it. With my years of service, I have proven my commitment to the future of Texas. As your Senator, I will work tirelessly to represent the interest of Texas families."

Kris Benson went on to give his closing statements. "I am not a professional politician. I am a successful businessman and I don’t apologize for that. In this great country of ours, if you work hard, success is your reward. Just as in business, proper management is the key to successful government. As your Senator, I will apply the tools I acquired in business to the management of this government that will result in a higher standard of living, and lower taxes."

"This concludes our debate this evening. I’d like to thank both candidates for appearing tonight. The next debate will take place September twenty-fourth in Dallas."

The cameras went off and both candidates had their microphones removed. They shook hands amiably. As she was walking away, Jordan thought, ‘I’ve got to wash my hands. What a sleeze that man is.’ Cynthia wrapped her arms around Jordan as the candidate walked towards her.

"Honey, you were great. I think he really stepped in it with that amnesty question. LULAC is going to have a fit." Jordan laughed.

"Yeah. What do you expect, the man is a rich Bubba. He’s an ass. I want the people to see that. He just wants to fill his coffers and help his oil buddies."

Laura touched her shoulder. "You really did a good job Jordan. You handled yourself nicely." Jordan smiled at her friend and nodded. She knew how proud her friend was even though she was very reserved about showing it. That was just her way. Sarah and Jim praised her profusely. Jordan thanked her friends for their support.

Later that night at the hotel, the group sat in Jordan’s room watching the coverage of the debate. A political science professor form the University of Houston talked about Jordan’s wide range appeal to people of various groups. She questioned some of her opponent’s comments and how he seems to be displacing many voters.

"Over the last several years, throughout the country, there has been a move towards the middle for political candidates. Candidates generally tend to avoid extreme sides of the political spectrum. Both of these candidates however, embrace their political orientations. Ms. O’Connor is an unapologetic liberal while Mr. Benson is very conservative. Many times, voters are left to choose between two similar candidates, this is not the case. Ms. O’Connor’s frankness about her life and her beliefs seems to be working for her. She has a very strong populist following. As far as this debate is concerned, Ms. O’Connor seemed to have more detailed knowledge of the issues. Mr. Benson came across as an elitist, and maybe lacking in compassion. The mass public isn’t made up of the upper-middle and upper-class conservatives. Mr. Benson tends to alienate those other groups."

The group cheered and laughed. Jordan turned to Laura. "Let’s run the numbers tomorrow. We’ve got big pockets now. Let’s go all out." Laura nodded her head in understanding.

Jordan and Cynthia laid together, talking in bed that night. They were on their sides, facing one another.

Cynthia said, "You did an amazing job tonight. I was so proud of you. I love watching you like that. Have you thought lately about going further in your career?"

"What, like the White House?" Cynthia nodded her head.

"Yes." Jordan thought for a minute.

"Honestly, I have entertained the notion. But, I don’t know if I can deal with the scrutiny of a national campaign. I’ve thought about it a little. What do you think? Would you like to be First Lady?" They both giggled.

"I think you’d make a wonderful President. We’d certainly be a first. Seriously though, I really feel like you can do it." Jordan kissed her softly.

"Thank you for the vote of confidence. How do you feel about that though?"

"I would support you in whatever you decided. I am not sure what kind of First Lady I would make. We really should get married first though." Cynthia said playfully. Jordan got a look of terror on her face.

"You have a point, but that would be a long, long way off. Let’s see how my first term in the Senate goes."

"Why did you get that look on your face just then?" Jordan pretended not to know what she was talking about. They had engaged in this conversation many times over the years they were together. Cynthia always wanted to have a ceremony, but Jordan just had never been able to take that step.

"What do you mean?" Cynthia started to get exasperated.

"I mean, when I mentioned us getting married. You got this horrified look on your face. I can’t believe after all this time, you still don’t want to marry me." She began to get upset.

"Cynthia honey, I couldn’t be more committed to you if I were married to you, even if it were legal. It’s not that I don’t want to marry you. It just doesn’t work for me. Let’s look at my track record. My first wife was murdered when I was twenty-two." Jordan felt a sharp pain in her heart as she said those words. "I married James after that happened and it ended in a divorce. It was amicable, but still painful for both of us. I am afraid of something bad happening with us. I couldn’t take it again." Tears were falling down Jordan’s cheeks at this point. Cynthia’s hurt and anger melted. She held Jordan in her arms. Jordan looked up at her. "I know this is something that is important to you. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to give this to you. I just need more time. I’ve had sixteen years to change how I feel. But please, don’t give up on the idea. I just need time. Declaring our commitment and love in front of God and our family and friends is such a beautiful thought. It is because I do take it so seriously that I am so scared about it. I love you and I need you. I‘m sorry that I disappoint you." Cynthia held Jordan’s face between her hands.

"I love you too Jordan. I know your past is painful. We can table this discussion for now."

With a relieved sigh, Jordan said, "thank you."

The smaller woman smiled. "You’re welcome. Tell me about her. In all these years, you‘ve said very little."

Jordan smiled sadly, with a far away look on her face. "She was beautiful, and had such a peaceful soul, her smile would completely melt my heart. She was gentle and kind. The entire village thought the world of her. Her laugh was like music. She had long, black hair and huge dark brown eyes. Her family was indigenous, so she had beautiful skin that was the color of coffee with cream and high cheek bones. I have pictures of her. She was my entire world, and she loved me very much. It was such a perfect, innocent time." Cynthia wiped a tear from Jordan’s cheek.

"She sounds lovely. How did you get married?"

"We had to drive to the church and orphanage in Managua to pick up some supplies for our village and the village near ours. It was about three hours away. We thought we would look at the market. I wanted to buy her a new dress. There was a jewelry maker. We were looking at rings. I picked up a silver band, and asked her to be my wife." Jordan smiled at the memory. "She said yes and I bought her ring and a ring for myself. I grabbed her by the hand and took her back to the church. There was nobody in there at the time. In the front of the church, I pledged my love, and my heart, and my life to her. I promised to love her and take care of her always. She repeated the vows to me and placed the ring on my finger. We sealed it with a kiss, said a prayer and lit a candle." Cynthia smiled and stroked her face.

"That’s so romantic. Sounds like you."

"I was so young. I felt like I was invincible. I had no concept or life or death or anything. I only knew that I loved her to my core, and she loved me just as much. I have kept my promises to her, all except taking care of her. I couldn‘t do that." She looked down, with tears in her eyes.

"Honey, you did everything you could. You risked your life to try to protect her. You can’t ask any more than that of yourself. You’re lucky you survived.. So why did you marry James if you already knew you were gay? I’ve always wanted to ask that."

"Well, for one thing, he’s very different. He’s a kind and decent man, but he’s not a woman. I think I was attracted to him because it was nothing like Maria. I felt safe and loved. I had never really been attracted to men before or since. It was simply what I needed at the time. Although, when I married him, my intention was to be married to him for the rest of my life. If I hadn‘t met James, I wouldn‘t have the kids. I wouldn‘t have met you. I wanted to die along with her, and he saved me. My marriages have been so traumatic, it just scares me." Cynthia paused sympathetically.

"I understand."

"Do you ever think of your family much?" Cynthia paused for a minute.

"Yes I do. It’s so hard for me to comprehend that they would completely cut themselves off from their own flesh and blood. How can that be Christian? He’s so worried about his image as a Baptist minister. When I was in Dallas, I would watch him on Sunday mornings on television. I would be seething with anger. I couldn’t believe he could stand up there, talking about God’s love and forgiveness and grace and treat me like that. He talked about sin, and I nearly threw up when he called homosexuality an abomination." Jordan held her tightly.

"How long has it been since you’ve spoken to them?"

"My sister sent a telegram when your plane crashed. I doubt if my parents knew she sent it. I haven’t spoken to them since they caught me in my car, making out with my best friend when I was a Senior in college." Jordan kissed the top of her head.

"They are damn fools. You are such a wonderful woman. It’s their loss. You’ve got my family though. They love you and you’re a member of this family." She wiped the tears from Cynthia’s eyes.

"Thank you Jordan. I love them too. Having them means the world to me."

"Why don’t we try to sleep, we have to be up early. I love talking to you." Cynthia smiled.

"Sleep sounds good. I love talking to you too Jordan. Thank you for telling me about Maria." Their lips met lightly and the couple fell asleep wrapped tightly around one another.

The following weekend Jordan was dressed in her pressed jeans and boots again for the western-themed Human Rights Campaign fundraiser. She and Cynthia danced and spent some time with old friends, including her mothers. People were fawning all over her, congratulating her on her speech. Part of the proceeds were going to go to her campaign so she had to make a speech. "It’s so wonderful to see so many people here. I remember the first Waltz Across Texas about twenty years ago. It was organized by my mother Elaine. It has continued every year since. It’s amazing to see all of the strides we have made towards equal rights. We are not through, we still face legalized discrimination in housing, and employment. As your Senator, I vow to work tirelessly to ensure that our community gains those basic rights. But, I can’t do it alone. I need our community standing behind me united in our common goal." The crowd cheered and Jordan spent the rest of the evening, dancing with Cynthia in her arms.

Part 7


Return to the Academy