Forgotten Way


by Tragedy88

Disclaimers: This is yet another uber tale of my making. Technically the characters of Xena and Gabrielle belong to MCA/Universal, but since it's not REALLY X&G here... well anyway, these uber characters belong to me, me memememe....so, copyright 1999 Tragedy88 and all that.

Violence/language: Um, some violence, some bad language... maybe a pg-13 so far?

Subtext: You betcha! Oh, if it's illegal where you live or love between members of the same sex offends you please read elsewhere.

And last but not least: How, you ask, can so many of my characters exist within the same timeline? Easy, I write what I know. In this case I know farms, horses, and the hardships of being alone. In anycase it's a divergence from my usual cops, gangs, lusty/evil uber Callistos' etc., etc. etc... :)

Feedback is very welcome at keket1976@yahoo.com

 


Chapter Fifteen-


Promises

"I will find you."- The Last of The Mohicans

___________________

The sun had long since set after Alex and Dusty had returned from an... invigorating shower. They now sat on the living room couch in front of the fireplace. The pyre had burned itself out, and no sparks had set the world afire.

The two women were now reading over the journal that Dusty had found on a small table beside Samuel's hanging feet.

April 15th, in the year of our lord 1752

All has come to pass as it should be. The Fields have been cleared and the foundation made. I will send word to Alexandria tomorrow that work on the house is progressing at a record pace. She will join me in our new life here, shortly.

April 30th, in the year of our lord 1752

Two more workers are dead. We have been delayed, yet again. The storms rise and fall with an intensity I have never seen. America was to be our new beginning, but I fear it will be our end.

Dusty leaned comfortably against Alex's shoulder as she read aloud. The entries went on to include the rest of the construction of the house, the planting of the fields, storms, losses, the arrival of Samuel's wife and children, and finally the day Samuel left to pick up his new purchases and returned to death.

January 1st, in the year of our lord 1755

The house is empty now, none remain but Johva and her mate. My family, my children have been consecrated to the heavens. There is nothing left for me here. This was to be our home, forever. But it has all been taken from me, by him! I swear my last breath that I will have REVENGE.

January 5th, in the year of our lord 1755

I have burnt the barn to the ground, because I can not stand to see it standing with death inside, yet they call me mad. Had it been the mayor or the Sheriff's families would they have done any Less? My poor Alexandria. My children. My life crushed and lost to HIM. I WILL FIND HIM.

"Geez, a little obsessed?" Alex commented.

"Well," Dusty stretched with feline grace, "think about it. What if everything you loved was torn away from you in one fateful night-" Dusty stopped abruptly. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right. I understand the point you're trying to make." Alex blocked memories out of her mind as Dusty straightened and gazed into her eyes.

"I wish..." Dusty suddenly averted her eyes. I wish so many things.

"What do you wish?" Alex asked softly, placing the closed journal beside her and taking Dusty's hand.

Thoughts battled to form into sentences as Dusty clutched Alex's hands almost desperately. "Look, I've only know you for a short time," her brow furrowed and she raced to form words before she lost her courage, "but I wish I'd met you before... before and saved you from a lot of pain."

"I wouldn't change anything that has happened, if it meant that we weren't right here, right now, feeling what we feel." Alex titled Dusty's face to her and cradled it in her palms. "I love you."

Dusty sucked in a small, startled breath. "You d-do?"

"Yes." Oh god, just say it. If she runs terrified, she runs. "From the moment I met you, Dusty, I knew you'd change my life," for the better, she added silently. "I was lost, I wasn't living. In the truck that day... I... I knew something was missing, and when I saw you looking in my window... I don't know," she finished, tears and emotions threatening to spill over and drown her.

"I know." Dusty said simply, and pulled Alex onto her lap and into her arms.

She didn't say it! The tears came fast and free now and Alex collapsed against Dusty's strong chest. It's all right, just give her a little time, a gentle voice said.

Another, almost silent voice wondered how much time was left.

As Dusty began to kiss her all other thoughts were brushed aside. The journal fell to the floor, opened to the last page.

The entry was undated. In the glowing light of the fire, the words read;

I've found him. It's taken me so long, but I planned and my plans have seen fruitation. I am an outcast, an outlaw in my own land. He will pay for this, for all of it, no matter who's son he is. I will cut off his evil, cut out his line and wipe his father's name off this world. Then I will join my family.


Chapter Sixteen

Return to Main Page