Disclaimers: This is a sequel to the uber (or beyond uber) stories "Falling" and "Falling Stars." The characters belong to me, but may have similar characteristics to two lovely ladies we all know. Any plot or personality characteristics that may have references to particular XWP episodes are not intended to be any copyright infringement. Content rating: PG-13. Copyright 11/2000.

Soul Crossing

By Web Bard

Part One

Reese pulled into the florist shop a few blocks away from Beth’s apartment. I know I’m running late, Beth. I’ll be home soon, honey. Just hang on. She smiled at the woman behind the desk and picked up the two dozen yellow roses she had ordered.

"Must be for someone special," said the woman behind the counter.

"More than you could possibly imagine," said Reese. She closed her eyes briefly and thought about Beth. She had been traveling for a solid week and missed her friend desperately. They had not spent more that two nights apart since they had met four months ago. And now, she was only two blocks from heaven.

Reese shook her head to bring herself back to reality and headed for her car. She carefully placed the flowers in the passenger seat and smiled.

Beth kept looking at her watch. She peeked through the window. Nothing. Where is she? She finally sat on the couch and put her head in her hands. Seven long days. Seven even longer nights. She longed for the comfort of her friend’s arms around her.

Reese moved the flowers, hanging bag and briefcase to one arm, so she could put her key in the apartment door. Before she could turn the knob, the door flew open and two arms wrapped ferociously around her neck. The surprise attack knocked Reese off balance and the flowers, luggage, briefcase and two entwined friends tumbled to the floor.

"Hi," said Reese as she propped herself up on her elbows. She started to giggle and looked down at her blonde companion who seemed a bit dazed underneath the flowers and luggage. "You know, we have to stop meeting like this. Are you okay?"

"Just peachy," said Beth as she smiled and she looked into the blue eyes gazing back into hers.

"These are for you," said Reese as she maneuvered the flowers closer to Beth. " I don’t think we squished them too badly."

"They are beautiful, Reese. Just like you." Beth reached up to touch her lover’s face. "Now, if you don’t hurry up and kiss me…"

Reese stopped Beth before she could finish her sentence. She leaned down and brushed her lips against her Beth’s. With one arm, she pushed the luggage and flowers aside. Beth ran her fingers through Reese’s hair and pulled her into a long, lingering kiss. She slowly rolled Reese over on her back and then kissed the nape of her neck. Reese circled her arms around Beth and pulled her closer.

"God, I missed you," said Reese.

Beth continued her trail of kisses down Reese’s neck and down to the top of her shirt. "Missed…you…too…so much…"

"We could move somewhere more comfortable, love," said Reese as she traced circles over Beth’s back.

"Bedroom," whispered Beth as she moved toward Reese’s lips for another kiss. "Please."

Reese carefully rolled over to her side and then stood up. She offered her hand to Beth and pulled her up next to her. The small blonde threw her arms around Reese’s neck and squeezed her tight.

"Honey? What is it? Is something wrong?" Reese caressed the back of Beth’s hair and then placed her hand under her friend’s chin and tilted it up so she could look at her face.

"I just never thought it was possible to miss someone so much that it physically hurt," said Beth quietly as she gazed into her partner’s eyes. "I just ached for you. Is that normal or have I just completely lost my mind?"

"Not your mind, sweetheart," said Reese. "Just your heart. You gave it to me."

The two friends stood outside of the bedroom in each other’s arms. Reese gently rocked her friend back and forth.

"We’re not going anywhere fast," said Reese as she ran her hand down Beth’s back.

Still holding onto Reese, Beth started to take slow steps into the bedroom.

"Are we dancing?" Reese began to add small turns into their improvised slow dance. She started to hum a song into Beth’s ear.

"I don’t care if we’re dancing or laying on the floor covered with flowers and luggage," said Beth. "I just want to touch you. Please don’t let go of me."

"Never," said Reese softly. She leaned down to kiss Beth. Let go of her? Impossible.

The dancers finally made their way to the bed. Reese gently pushed Beth down on the pillows. She looked at her friend’s face. Something is wrong. I know it is. There’s still a look of desperation in her eyes.

"Beth?"

"Yes?"

"I know that we’re kind of in the middle of something here," said Reese. "But I can’t get past that look in your eyes. Have I done something to upset you or hurt you?"

Beth reached up and traced the outline of her friend’s face. "No, it’s not you. Well, it is you, I guess."

"Go on."

"I had a lot of time to think while you were gone," said Beth. "That’s really dangerous for me. I kept wondering why you ever saw anything in me in the first place. And then, I thought about how happy I was and wondered if this was all to good to be true. And then, I just couldn’t bear the thought of ever being without you. I’m completely insane, aren’t I?"

"No, you’re not insane," said Reese with a concerned look on her face. "First of all, I fell in love with you the minute I saw you. You are the most beautiful, gentle, caring person I’ve ever known. You’re my best friend. And yes, sometimes our love for each other seems too good to be true. But it’s going to take work. Neither one of us has had a relationship like this before. It’s not going to be easy, but we’ll both be here for each other, okay?"

Beth felt a surge of emotion rise to the surface and a small tear escaped from her eye and started rolling down her cheek. She does love me. What was I so worried about?

"Beth?"

"Yes, honey?"

"I’m not leaving you," said Reese, her own voice breaking with emotion. "Ever. Sometimes though, I have the same fear about you leaving me."

"What?" Beth sat up in the bed. "Now, you are insane. Look what happened to me after being separated from you for just a week. I don’t think I can function without you anymore. I’m not going anywhere, you hear me?"

"We’re both nuts, then," said Reese, regaining her composure. She kissed Beth and rested her head against her friend’s shoulder.

"Reese?" Beth kissed the top of her friend’s head. "I have something I want to give you."

Beth reached over to the bedside table and picked up a small wrapped box. She handed it to Reese.

Reese took the box and tore off the wrapping. She opened the box to find a gold bracelet with unfamiliar writing engraved on the outside of it. "It’s beautiful, Beth. But what does it say?"

"I know we’re both Greek," said Beth as she slipped the bracelet over Reese’s wrist. "But I’m also half Irish. It’s Gaelic. Anam means soul and cara means friend. Anam cara. Soul friend."

Reese ran her fingers over the engraving and looked up into the eyes of her friend. Her soul friend. The desperation was gone now. The green eyes looking back into hers only showed unconditional love. "Thank you so much. This means the world to me."

"I hope you don’t mind, but I bought myself one, too," said Beth as she reached back over to the table. She opened the drawer and pulled out another bracelet. "I think it might help me when you’re gone on long trips."

"Let me do that," said Reese, taking the jewelry from Beth. She placed the bracelet over her friend’s small wrist and then turned her palm over and kissed it. She looked back into Beth’s eyes and leaned in to kiss her. "I love you."

"I love you, too," said Beth softly. "Are we okay now? No more insecurities? No more insane thoughts?"

Reese answered with long, passionate kiss. She began to move her hands over the body she now knew as well as her own. Beth began to unbutton Reese’s shirt and started an exploration trail of kisses down her lover's chest. They never noticed when the sun went down and the room darkened. Day passed into night and night passed into morning. As dawn broke through the window, the lovers lay in each other’s arms, their fears reassured and their souls reconnected.

 

To be continued…

Return to Main Page