Disclaimers: Soul Crossing is an uber story. The story depicts a same sex relationship between two women. As far as sexual content, it very rarely goes beyond PG13--although more is implied. Any similarities to XWP are not intended to be copyright infringement. For those who have missed any of the story so far, you can visit my web site: http://webbard.homestead.com/scrollssoulcrossing.html

 

Soul Crossing

By Web Bard (copyright 01/01)

Part 20

Reese propped herself up on one elbow and looked into her lover's sleeping face. Daybreak was beginning to shine through the window and it cast a golden glow across the bed. Not being able to resist touching her new bride, Reese leaned over and gently kissed Beth. The younger woman stirred and wrapped her arms around her partner.

One green eye opened. "Are you trying to kiss me awake again?"

Reese pulled her bride in closer for a long, lingering kiss. "Is it working?"

"Oh, yeah," murmured Beth as she burrowed into her favorite place on Reese's shoulder. "Waking up means we actually have to get out of bed, doesn't it?"

"I'm afraid it does, love. We have to drive to Athens today and we also promised Mamme that we would stop by the tombs."

"That place is pretty creepy," said Beth. "I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't a little bit scared about going back there."

"That place scared me witless, too," said the taller woman. "Mamme has a lot of explaining to do this morning. She knows more than she's letting on about that place."

"Let's go see what she's cooking for breakfast and bring her before the bridal inquisition, shall we?" Beth patted her partner on the tummy and slid out of the bed.

 

Mamme pulled out a sharp cutting knife and began slicing fresh fruit for her family's breakfast. Reese quietly moved behind her tiny grandmother and wrapped her arms around her.

"Ow!" cried Mamme as she dropped the knife. Blood began to run out of a cut on the woman's finger where the knife had slipped and cut flesh instead of fruit.

"Oh, Mamme," gasped her granddaughter. "I didn't know you were holding a knife. I'm so sorry. Here, let me take a look at it."

"Don't worry, honey. It's just a small cut," reassured her grandmother. An idea suddenly popped into the old woman's head. She smiled in spite of the stinging cut. "Pappos can help me put a dressing on it."

The grandmother motioned for Pappos to join her upstairs. Reese sat at the table and placed her head in her hands.

"Well, that's a hell of a way to start the morning," said Reese.

Beth reached over and placed her hand on her partner's arm. "Honey, it's okay. It was an accident. She's fine."

Reese heard a window open upstairs and the muffled sounds of laughter. Within seconds, she also heard clapping from outside the inn. She shrugged her shoulders and watched as her grandparents came back down the steps.

"All better now," said Mamme with a slight smirk on her face. "Let's eat. Then we have to talk."

 

Reese watched her quiet grandfather leave the room and then return with a large wooden box. He placed it on the table.

"Beth and Reese," said the old woman. "I know that you have seen a vision of two women. Haven't you?"

The two women glanced at each other and silently nodded yes.

"I have seen them, too," said Mamme softly. "All of my life."

Almost afraid to ask, Reese finally looked into her grandmother's face and spoke. "Who are they?"

"Let's just say you have a very famous relative," answered the grandmother.

"As do you, Beth," chimed in Pappos.

"Reese, do you remember the story I used to tell you when you were a little girl?" Mamme looked into her granddaughter's blue eyes.

"The one about the woman who was a great warrior?"

"That's the one," said Mamme. "That woman warrior is a very distant relative of yours."

"You're kidding," said Reese. "What about Beth? Pappos mentioned Beth, too."

The old man placed his hands on the wooden box and traced the carving on the handle. "The warrior had a companion. A trusted and beloved friend who was her soul mate. They traveled together for years and eventually married."

"By the cliffs at Potidaea," whispered Beth.

"That's right, my love," said Mamme. She looked at Beth and noticed the color draining out of her face. "She was a writer, just like you."

Reese put her arm around her partner's shoulder for support. "Mamme, that's a nice story, but what does it have to do with us?"

"Our family has waited for centuries for the last piece of the puzzle to come into place," said the grandmother. "We have passed this story from generation to generation in hopes that there would someday be completion."

"You're confusing me," said Reese.

"These visions, these apparitions that you saw - - they looked like you, didn't they?" Mamme sat down beside her granddaughter and placed her hand over Reese's.

"Yes."

"Reese, the warrior and her bard never crossed over to the other side," said the old woman. "The legends say that they were waiting for someone to take their place on earth as true soul mates. If and when that ever happened, they would finally be able to cross over to the other side."

"I still don't get it," said Reese, shaking her head at her grandmother's explanation.

Beth placed her hands on either side of her partner's face and looked into her blue eyes. "Honey, look at me. We are the other soul mates. We complete the circle."

"Oh, my God." Reese looked into the green eyes so close to hers. "What are we going to do now?"

"You are going to the tombs on your way to Athens," said Mamme. "That's what you're going to do."

Still in shock, Reese sat silently at the table. Beth caressed her lover's face and then kissed her on the cheek. "Yes, Mamme, that's what we're going to do." The young blonde reached for her partner's hand and squeezed it.

Pappos moved toward the box on the table. He carefully opened the lid and reached in. "Beth, these belong to you. They have been passed down for centuries and have always been kept in pristine condition. These small swords are called sais. They belonged to the bard."

Beth dropped Reese's hand and reached for the blades. They were identical to the ones she saw in her vision. "I don't know what to say, Pappos. Thank you."

The young woman ran her hands along the cool metal and then handed them back to Pappos to put in the box.

Mamme reached into her pocket and pulled out an envelope. She handed it to her granddaughter. "I've written down the story of the great warrior and her beloved bard. When you have babies of your own, you must pass the story on to them. Your Pappos and I may be gone by then. You have to promise me that you will continue the tradition of telling the story of our family. Promise me that one thing before I die."

Reese jumped up from the table and threw her arms around her tiny grandmother. "Of course we will, Mamme. I would never break a promise to you."

Reese felt her grandmother sigh and then relax in her arms. "I know you wouldn't my love. Now, you know I don't want you and Beth to leave, but it is time. I can feel the pull of the tombs myself. You have to go quickly."

Part 21 (Conclusion)

The grandparents and Reese and Beth walked outside of the inn toward the rental car. As the women made their way through the door, they were greeted with applause. They smiled and waved back at the villagers, then noticed that they were all looking up at something. The two women quickly turned around and looked up at their former window at the inn. Hanging outside of the window was a sheet with a bloodstain in the middle of it.

"Mamme, you are evil to the core," laughed Reese. "I'm glad the entire village thinks that at least one of us lost their virginity last night."

"You must keep Greek customs in the family," said the grandmother as she grinned from ear to ear. "Besides, it was all your fault. You made me cut my finger."

"That, I did," said Reese. "Now, come hug me goodbye."

Mamme stood on her tiptoes, kissed her granddaughter and then pulled her into a fierce hug. "I love you, Reese. I will always be looking out for you. In this life and the next."

"Thank you for everything, Mamme," said the taller woman who wanted to keep her grandmother with her forever. "You mean everything to me. Beth and I owe you so much."

"Can I cut in on this goodbye?" Beth placed her hand on Reese's back. Reluctantly, she released her grandmother and her partner pulled the old woman into an embrace.

"I love you, little one," whispered Mamme. Beth choked back a sob and held on to the small woman. "You take care of my Reese for me."

Smiling through her tears, Beth looked into the blue eyes that were identical to her partner's. "I love you, too, Mamme. And rest assured, I will always take care of your granddaughter. She is my life."

Pappos then exchanged hugs and kisses with his two girls and handed them both money. In case of an emergency, he said. Reese grabbed one more hug and a kiss from him and then got in the car. The two women waved at the grandparents and villagers as they drove away from the town.

 

Dark clouds began to form over the tombs as the two women stepped out of the car.

Glancing up at the ominous clouds, Reese sighed. It figures. We both already scared to death and now a storm decides to move in for dramatic effect. Following directions from her grandmother, Reese led her partner to the family tombs.

Carrying flashlights, the two women walked down a dark stairway and down a narrow hall. Mamme told them to go into the second room on the right.

Beth grabbed Reese's hand and pulled her away from the entrance to the room. "Sweetheart, I'm terrified."

"Me, too, baby," whispered Reese. "I've got your hand, okay? Let's get this over with."

"Just don't let go."

"Never."

As the two women walked into the room a loud clap of thunder shook the walls. Inside the small room were two marble coffins. Beth and Reese shined their flashlight on the first one. Engraved into the stone was a large sword. Resting on the sword was a chakram. Reese closed her eyes and swallowed hard. She squeezed Beth's hand and then turned the flashlight on the next marble coffin. Beth gasped as she saw the engravings under her fingers. A long staff was etched into the center of the coffin. On either side of the staff, were two sais pointing at each other. At the head of the coffin was a single engraving. A quill.

"Oh, my God, Reese."

Standing between the two coffins, the two women held each other's hands. Without saying a word, Reese reached over and placed her free hand on the warrior's coffin. Beth did the same to the bard's coffin. Both women closed their eyes.

With their eyes closed, they never saw the light that entered the room and completely filled it with radiant light. Standing before Reese and Beth were two women.

"Hello," said the taller woman who stood in front of Reese. "We've been expecting you."

Blue and green eyes popped opened simultaneously.

"Don't be afraid," said the smaller woman. She reached out and brushed the side of Beth's face.

Beth felt the warm hand rest on her cheek. A gentle peace filled her soul and the fear that was once there disappeared. She smiled at the woman who looked at her with compassionate green eyes.

Reese looked at the warrior in front of her. The warrior reached out for Reese's hand and she took it. A tingling sensation moved from one woman's hand to the other. Reese took a deep breath and then relaxed.

"We're not here to harm you," said the warrior. "But we do need your help. We are the key to your past and you are the key to our future."

Beth looked at Reese and smiled. "We'll do whatever you need us to do."

The warrior looked lovingly at her bard and took her hand. The bard then took Beth's hand. The four women formed a circle in between the two coffins.

"What must take place now is the crossing of souls," said the warrior. "We are going to show you our past and you will show us your future. Are you ready?"

The women all closed their eyes as the radiant light moved in a sphere around the room. Within seconds, the sphere of light moved into the middle of the circle.

"You can open your eyes now," said the warrior. "Look into the light."

Beth and Reese looked into the floating orb of light. Images were moving throughout the sphere. Pictures of two women on palomino horse and green fields came into focus. Then came pictures of battles and blood and death. Then tears and funeral pyres. Beth wanted to look away, but was mesmerized by what she was seeing. After the pictures of the funeral pyres were happier images. She looked closer into the orb and saw a baby. The warrior and the bard were holding a child. Their child.

Reese swallowed hard. They had a baby. "The child was yours, right?"

"Yes," said the bard. "The goddess Aphrodite gave us a most precious gift. Our own child, created and born out of our love for each other."

"What happened to the child?" Beth looked with concern at the two women in front of her.

"She lived a long life and passed to the other side," said the bard quietly. "It's why we we've been waiting for you to join us. Our daughter is waiting for us."

A tear rolled down Beth's cheek. Reese squeezed her hand tighter.

"Now," said the warrior. "Show us your future. Look back into the light."

Beth and Reese did as they were told and looked into the sphere again. Their log cabin. A golden retriever jumping into the pond after a stick. Making love in front of the fire. A crib.

A crib? Reese looked at Beth. Both women said the words at the same time. "A baby?"

The bard looked into Beth's eyes. "Yes, a child will be born to complete your family and to start a new circle of life. This child is our gift to you. Your son will be born of your flesh, Beth, but will carry the spirit of all four of us. This will complete the crossing of souls and create a new generation to carry on our legacy."

"We have waited a long time for you to join us," said the warrior with a smile. "But it is time for us to cross over. But please know that you will never be alone. We will always be with you in spirit and will always be here for you and your son."

"We love you, just as you love each other," said the bard. "You complete each other's souls, just as we do. Now, we must go."

One by one, the women let go of each other's hands. When the last connection was broken, the orb disappeared and the radiant light once again filled the entire room. The bard reached out for Reese and pulled her into an embrace. "Take care of her gentle heart. She loves you more than life."

Beth looked up to see the warrior open her arms to her. She fell into the familiar embrace and held the woman as tight as she could. "Reese needs to know she's loved every day. Don't forget that. She's not a tough as she looks."

Neither are you, warrior, thought Beth as she looked into steel blue eyes. "I promise to tell her everyday."

"We're ready then," said the bard. "Our daughter is waiting."

"We're going to ask you to close your eyes once more," said the warrior. "When you open them, we will be gone and it will be dark again. Are you ready?"

The two women nodded in agreement. Before they closed their eyes, Beth wanted to say one more thing. "Thank you for loving us. We will always keep you in our hearts."

"And, thank you for our gift," said Reese. A baby. Incredible.

"Say hello to your daughter for us," added Beth before she closed her eyes.

The warrior and her bard leaned over and kissed their soul companions softly on the lips, then disappeared into the radiant light.

When Beth and Reese opened their eyes to a darkened room. The two flashlights they dropped on the floor earlier were the only sources of light. Reese took a deep breath and quickly pulled her lover into an embrace. "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

"Yes. Are you?"

"Good. Then, let's get out of here."

 

Reese settled their bags into the hotel room and waited for Beth to return from the gift shop. She flopped back on the bed and reflected on the events of the day. Mamme is going to freak when I tell her what happened.

Beth unlocked the door and tucked the paper bag under her arm. She smiled at the taller woman waiting for her on the bed. "Hello, gorgeous."

"C'mere."

"I'll be right there," said Beth as she quickly darted in the bathroom. She unwrapped the box and opened the set of directions. Okay, I can do that. She looked down at her watch and set the timer for two minutes.

"Hey," said Reese loud enough for Beth to hear through the door. "What are you doing in there?"

"Just keep your pants on," answered Beth. Until I come in take them off for you, you impatient woman.

The alarm went off on her watch and Beth glanced down at the object in her hands. She started to laugh out loud.

"Beth, you let me in there right now," demanded Reese. She put her hand on the doorknob and started to twist it, only to have the door swing open on its own.

Beth stood in front of her and held her hands behind her back. She slowly pulled one hand away and held an object in front of Reese's eyes.

"What the heck is that?"

"It's your son," beamed Beth. "We're pregnant."

 

The end.


Return to Main Page