Soul Crossing

By Web Bard (copyright 11/2000)

Part 4

Beth stretched the tape over the last box and then marked the contents on the outside with a magic marker. She slowly stood up and stretched. This moving stuff is hard work.

The knob turned and Reese opened the door to Beth's apartment. "Oh, Lucy, I'm home!"

"Glad to hear it, Ricky Ricardo," chuckled Beth as she walked toward her friend. "What have you been up to this morning?"

"Well, let's see," said Reese. "I picked up the keys to the house. I met with the moving company and I finished packing my last few boxes. Looks like you've just about finished here."

"Almost," said Beth. "I'm just going to throw a few things in a suitcase and I'll be ready. When are the movers coming?"

"Well, that's one of the things I needed to tell you," said Reese. "Do you know what day it is?"

"Thursday?"

"Yes," said Reese. "But it's also Thanksgiving. The moving company can't come until tomorrow."

"I can't believe I forgot it was Thanksgiving," said Beth. "I got so wrapped up in packing and getting ready to move, that it went right over my head."

"Speaking of getting wrapped up," said Reese as she moved closer and placed her hand behind Beth's head. She pulled her friend closer and leaned down for a kiss. Beth dropped the tape she was holding and it fell to the floor. She wrapped both of her arms around Reese's waist and continued the kiss that Reese started.

"Beth," whispered Reese. "I want to make love to you in our new house tonight."

Beth pulled back slightly and looked at her partner. "But, we don't have any furniture over there yet."

"That's never stopped us before," said Reese with a smile. "I think we've improvised in a sleeping bag, on a cottage floor, under a blanket in an airplane…"

"Okay, Okay," said Beth. "I get the picture. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were a sex maniac."

"Only with you love," said Reese as she ran her hand down the back of Beth's hair. "It's all your fault."

"I'll make you a deal," said Beth. "I'll look for our sleeping bags in one of these boxes. You grab some pillows and my overnight bag and we're outta here."

"A woman after my own heart," said Reese as she reached for the pillows on the couch.

Beth found the camping supply boxes and grabbed the sleeping bags. Camping out again. Actually, we'll be camping in. That's even better.

"Pillows and overnight bag accounted for," said Reese as she walked toward the door.

"I've got the sleeping bags," said Beth. "Let's go." Beth placed the sleeping bags under one arm and gave one last look to her tiny apartment. Goodbye old friend. I'm going home now.

**********************************************************************

"Reese, what are we going to do about dinner?" "Good question," said Reese as she pulled up to a stoplight. "Look to see if anything is open."

"Hey," said Beth pointing to a familiar red and white sign. "How does fried chicken sound?"

"It's a bird, right? I think that qualifies as a Thanksgiving meal, don't you?" Reese smiled and turned the car into the restaurant parking lot.

"There's a mini-mart next door," said Beth. "You take care of dinner and I'll pick up a few supplies to get us through tomorrow."

The two friends went their separate ways. Beth picked up a small basket and started down the aisle. Hmmm. Candles. Need a few of those. Chips and dip. Those, too. Pop tarts for breakfast. A couple of bottles of juice. Hostess cupcakes for dessert. Plastic cups and…a bottle of wine. That should do it.

As she passed by the last aisle, a clear bottle caught the side of her eye. Baby oil. Oh yeah, gotta have that, too. Beth giggled and handed the attendant the money.

"Happy Thanksgiving, ma'am," said the young man. "I hope you have a pleasant evening."

"Oh, I will, thank you." Beth took her bags and headed for the car. "Dinner's ready," said Reese pointing to a bucket of chicken. "What a chef you are," said Beth as she get into the car. Reese leaned over and retrieved a quick kiss.

"Whatcha got in that bag?" Reese tried to peer into the contents of the bag on Beth's lap.

"Just some goodies for later," said Beth with a mischievous grin.

************************************************************

Reese turned the key in the log cabin door. She opened the door and smiled. Home. Our home. I never thought a place would make me this happy. She glanced back at Beth who was grinning and still guarding the contents of her plastic bag. Reese put down the bucket of chicken on the counter and swiftly snatched the bag from Beth's hand. She ran toward the fireplace with a short blonde in hot pursuit.

Reese stopped in front of the fireplace and opened the bag. "Pop tarts. Good. Cupcakes. Chips. Juice. Cups. Candles. Wine. Very good selection. Hey, what's this bottle?"

Reese held up the baby oil just out of Beth's reach. "Give me that."

"Not until you tell me what it's for," teased Reese who was amused at her jumping friend still trying to grab the bottle.

"Fine," said Beth, giving up the fight. "It's for dessert." "Dessert?"

"Yes. Dessert. Actually, you're part of the ingredients, as well." "I'm intrigued," said Reese.

"You should be," said Beth with a smile. "Now, let's start with a little chicken first, shall we?"

Reese turned on the gas logs in the fireplace and then walked toward the window. She looked toward the pond and smiled. Beth came up behind her and slid an arm around her waist. "Dinner's ready."

Reese glanced toward the fireplace. Beth rolled out the sleeping bags and placed the chicken on the floor in front of the fireplace. She poured the wine into the plastic cups and handed Reese the candles. "Do something with these please."

Reese placed the end of the candles into the fire to light them and then placed them on the floor next to their dinner.

Beth lifted her plastic cup of wine. "Happy Thanksgiving, sweetheart." Reese lifted her cup and touched Beth's cup. "I know this isn't exactly what you'd call your traditional Thanksgiving meal, but I want you to know that I've never been more grateful than I am right now. I thank God every day that you're in my life."

"I do, too," said Beth as she reached out to touch Reese's face. "Sometimes thank you just doesn't seem enough to say, does it?"

"Not where you're concerned." Reese leaned over and kissed Beth's forehead. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

The friends quietly ate their meal in front of the fire. After they had finished, Beth took their paper plates to the kitchen. Reese propped up the pillows on the sleeping bags and stretched out on the floor on their makeshift bed. The candles flickered above her head and the fire crackled in the fireplace. She was happier than she could ever remember being in her whole life. She was sharing a house with the woman she loved. They would make it a home. After so many empty years, Reese closed her eyes and said a silent prayer. Thank you to whoever made this happen. Thank you.

Beth dropped to her knees beside Reese. "Are you okay, love?" "Just thinking about you."

Beth brushed a lock of hair away from her friend's face. "Are you ready for dessert?"

"What did you have in mind?"

Beth reached over to Reese and pulled her shirt out of her jeans. "This has to go."

Reese looked at Beth with grin. "Whatever you say." Beth pulled at the shirt until Reese lifted it over her shoulders. "Now, lie down on your stomach."

Reese followed instructions and stretched out on the sleeping bag. Beth reached for the baby oil that had been warming next to the fire. She poured a few drops into her hand and began to rub the oil into Reese's shoulders.

"Oh, God that feels good," mumbled Reese as she relaxed under her lover's touch. Beth continued to message the area in between her shoulder blades, kneading the tight muscles until they gave into the pressure. She then straddled Reese's legs and began to work on the lower back muscles.

"And this was dessert for who?" Reese turned her head slightly to look at Beth.

"You."

"Can I return the favor? I might not be as good as you are at this, but I know you need a back rub as much as I do." Reese rolled over on her side and moved Beth gently off of her back. "Now, your turn."

Beth started to unbutton her shirt, but Reese stopped her. "That's my job."

The tall beauty took her time unbuttoning Beth's shirt, letting an errant hand move underneath the cotton material until she had reached the last button. "You did that very well," said Beth who leaned in for a kiss.

"Lie down, please," said Reese as gently rolled Beth on her stomach. She placed a few drops of oil on her hands and began to caress the top of her friend's shoulders. Long, slender fingers started to work their way into the tight muscles until they began to relax under her touch.

"You lied," said Beth. "You're damn good at this."

"I have many skills."

"So, you keep telling me."

"Now, let me show you a few more," said Reese with a seductive smile. She rolled Beth over to her side and began to run her hands over the smaller woman's muscular stomach. "Looks like these muscles need to relax, too."

Beth gasped as Reese's hands began a new sensual exploration. "This could get slippery."

"I'm counting on it," said Reese as she covered Beth's lips with her own and wrapped her legs around her soulmate's. Slippery was good. Very good.

As the fire burned bright in the fireplace, a golden glow cast slowly over two shimmering bodies lost in each other's embrace.


TBC…

Return to Main Page