"The End is the Beginning"

By

Wilbur

Chapter Ten: "Reality's Bite"

 

Go to Part 1


 

Deerdra rides harder than she's ever had and arrives at the beach ahead of Xena and Gabrielle. Not waiting for them to catch up, she rips her gear off of her horse and swims over to the boat. By the time they climb aboard, she has raised the anchor and unfurled the sails. "Hang on, this is going to be fast!"

In short order, a breeze catches the sail and turns them in the direction from whence they came. The wind gradually builds to near gale force, pushing them faster and faster until everything standing still is nothing but a blur. Xena and Gabrielle go down below while Deerdra, braced against the wind, stands like a statue at the helm.

Gabrielle runs her fingers through her hair to brush it down. "Whew!" "Is it just me, or are we the only boat being affected by this wind?"

Xena combs her hair as well. "It isn't you." "We're getting some help."

"The gods?"

"Yes."

"That can't be good."

"Nope."

Gabrielle sits on a supply crate. "At least it's a smooth ride." "I know that we are moving fast, but we still have some time."

Xena lightly furrows her brow. "Time for what?"

"For us to talk." "I have questions I know you don't want to answer in front of Deerdra." "Like, what was it like where you were...before you came back?"

"Oh." Xena leans against the wall opposite Gabrielle. "I don't remember that much." "Akimi said I wouldn't." "But I do recall waking up wearing a white kimono and being enveloped by a thick fog." "Akimi led me to a grassy field and there was a glass bowl on a stand filled with water."

"Not the Elysian Fields?"

"No, I think I was somewhere in between." "Oh, I was able to watch you down here."

Gabrielle blushes. "You could see me?"

Xena's lips form a sly grin. "Yep."

"Oh." Gabrielle fidgets around on the crate. "What else do you remember?"

Xena lets her off the hook. She doesn't remember enough to give her a hard time.

"Just feeling angry and helpless." "Akimi tried to reassure me, but I was still upset."

"Why was Akimi there?"

"To keep me company, I suppose." "Wait!" "I was there while the villagers of Higuchi decided the fate of my soul."

"Why the villagers?" "You're not from Japa?"

Xena shakes her head. "It's getting all fuzzy again." "Something about someone taking my place."

"You assumed it was me, didn't you?"

Xena hangs her head and kicks at a plank. "Yeah."

Gabrielle goes over to Xena and takes her hands into hers. "You know I would have in a heartbeat."

Xena caresses Gabrielle's cheek. "Then I'd have to get you back."

Gabrielle places her hand over Xena's. "We're quite the pair, aren't we?"

Xena raises an eyebrow and flashes a mischievous grin. "Um, hum." She moves in closer.

Gabrielle's pulse races and her palms begin to sweat then...she clears her throat and quickly backs away, stumbling over the supplies and her own feet. "I'm just going to go check on Deerdra."

Xena lets out an angry, frustrated sigh. "Her again."

"Xena, we've learned more about her and it isn't anything horrible." "I'd like for you to give her a chance."

Xena knows that Gabrielle is conflicted and will have to make a choice sooner or later. She's not about to take any chances in tipping the scales into Deerdra's favor. "Let's find out what's going on at Lorrania first, then we'll see."

That pacifies Gabrielle. "Thank you." She smiles then goes topside.

Xena waits until she's gone then takes a deep breath, puts her hands on her head, then exhales. "Check on Deerdra." "It's not like she can hear us down here, you know."

~~~

Deerdra is still standing straight and tall at the wheel and the wind is still pushing the boat at an unusually quick pace, only now just the sail is being affected. The area surrounding Deerdra is eerily calm. Gabrielle does and doesn't want to know how, or why for that matter. She also isn't sure how to broach the subject of Xena's family or Cyane, so she just blurts it out.

"Were you telling the truth about Xena's mother and about staying with the Northern Amazons?"

Deerdra turns her head and looks Gabrielle in the eyes. "Yes." "This may sound like bragging, but I've never had to lie to get a woman into my bed."

Gabrielle blushes and changes the subject. "Oh, okay, um, ah about the seven white berries." "How come you and the other six had to eat one to gain knowledge and all of the other immortals don't?"

Deerdra let's go of the wheel and it stays the course. "It is difficult to explain, but in a nutshell, after we ate the berry, we knew we where destined to do something big and important with our lives." After each kill, a piece of a very large puzzle is revealed." "And like most puzzles, it begins at the corners and connects the frame." "All the new immortals know is that there are seven daggers out there that may unlock the doors leading to...something." "Knowledge, power--something big."

"Huh." "I would think after a thousand years your puzzle would be almost done."

"I'm in no hurry to find out." "It feels like whatever is going to happen isn't going to happen anytime soon, so why take the risk and have a dagger fall into the wrong hands."

"That's true." "So, how can you tell if run into another immortal?" "Is there a secret handshake or something?"

Deerdra chuckles. "No, something better." "The inside of our noses burn" "Itch burn, not burn burn."

That makes Gabrielle laugh. (and a snicker from below) "Ha!" "I can just see you walking around with flames shooting out of your nose!"

Deerdra leans in. "You haven't seen me angry." "Although, it's more like steam than fire."

More laughter then Deerdra snaps to. "We're close."

Gabrielle wipes her eyes and looks around. "So soon?"

Deerdra points straight ahead. "See that dark outline in the distance?" "That's Greece."

Xena bounds up the stairs. "It can't be." "An island, maybe."

Deerdra reaches behind her and hands Xena a spy glass. She scans the horizon and is dumbfounded. "I can't believe it."

Gabrielle strains her eyes to see better. "What's that dark squiggle in the sky?" "A rain cloud?"

Xena zooms in. "No, that's smoke."

Deerdra snatches it away. "No." She can barely get out the word as her heart has leapt into her throat.

Xena knows what she's thinking. "You're worried about all of those ships."

Gabrielle looks at Xena then at Deerdra. "What ships?" "Oh, I see them now."

Deerdra pries her eyes away from the rising smoke and follows Gabrielle's gaze. On their right and in the distance are what's left of four, no five ships. All of the blood drains from Deerdra's face. The wind, and their speed decrease as they enter the debris field. Wood from the ship's planks and supply barrels along with bits of food bob along like a garbage dump parade. But, oddly, no bodies or livestock.

Gabrielle expresses what everyone is thinking. "By the gods." "What happened?"

Deerdra says to no one in particular. "Get us to the village dock...now!"

The wind shifts and zips them toward the dock of a small shipping village a few miles away from Lorrania. As they close in, the wind stops and Deerdra lowers the sail. "Hang on!" She dashes to the wheel and turns them starboard then quickly cuts to port splashing water everywhere as the boat bangs to a stop against the dock. She heaves the anchor overboard and jumps onto the platform, quickly tying it off. Xena and Gabrielle pick themselves up off the floor and join Deerdra dockside.

It is so quiet, you can hear a pin drop.

Gabrielle breaks the silence and whispers. "Where is everyone?"

The three look at each other then simultaneously draw their weapons. Alert and cautious, they start looking around. A few feet into the village and Gabrielle's question is answered. The mutilated bodies of the villagers are scattered through out the marketplace.

Xena tightens the grip on her sword and Gabrielle gasps. "Who would do such a thing?"

A clumping sound behind them causes them to whirl around ready to fight. It isn't an enemy but Argo and Deerdra's black horse. They look roughed up but unharmed.

"This can't be good." Xena sounds calm, but she is worried.

Deerdra doesn't bother inspecting the village. She knows what has happened, just not by who. Like a shot, she jumps on her horse and takes off for Lorrania. Xena and Gabrielle scramble to follow. As they enter the woods, Gabrielle notices an odd odor.

"Xena, what is that smell?"

"Burnt oil and wood."

They are almost to the maze when the forest reverberates with Deerdra's yell. "Noooo!"

Xena spurs Argo on and when they arrive, Lorrania is in ruins. The giant thorny hedge is now nothing but smoldering ash. The majestic wood doors lay broken and burned. The watch towers have been toppled and there are massive holes in all of the walls. The main house is still standing but is battered beyond repair. Every single shop and home has been burned to the ground. But the most disturbing sight of all is that of the inhabitants of Lorrania, civilian and soldier alike, lying dead in the streets of this once vibrant city. Deerdra is in the middle of the city square on her knees, crying.

Gabrielle can barely speak. "By the gods, Xena." "Who could have done this?"

Xena thinks back to the conversation she overheard between Deerdra and Lor. "Those prison ships." "Someone was building an army to invade Lorrania and attacked not to long after you two left."

"What prison ships?"

"She didn't tell you?" "Ships supposedly carrying criminals to a new prison started arriving on a daily basis." "It never occurred to them they were amassing an army."

They watch as Deerdra rises to her feet and makes her way through the rubble-and bodies- to a heap near the main house. She clears away the debris and immediately falls back to her knees. "Lor!" She clears away more wood and stone then checks for a pulse. Finding a weak throb in his wrist, she cradles his head in her lap. "Lor, can you hear me?"

Lor opens his eyes and manages to squeak out "Deerdra."

"Lor, who did this?"

"Don't- know- so - many."

"Did anyone get away?" "Your family or Mary?"

"Ships- wrecked- exits- blocked." "Don't - know."

"I am so sorry I wasn't here." "I will find out who did this and they will pay." "I swear on my father's grave, they will pay."

"Good." He summons all of his strength and raises his hand to touch her cheek. "Forgive- you, -Aunt Dee." His hand falls limp by his side as the light in his eyes fade to black.

Deerdra begins to sob and rock back and forth. "I'm so sorry." "I am so sorry." "Forgive me father." "Forgive me mother."

A tear rolls down Xena's check as she remembers loosing her own brother in battle. Tears pour down Gabrielle's face. "Xena..."

"We'll help her find who ever did this."

So engrossed in the heartbreaking scene in front of them, they are startled by the woman's voice coming from behind them.

"You need to leave, Xena." "Now."

They draw their weapons and spin around and come face to face with Aphrodite dressed in a shear black dress and matching veil

Xena waves the chakram in her face. "Aphrodite, don't you ever sneak up on me like that again."

"Sorry, but you really need to get out of her before Deerdra sees you."

Gabrielle gives her outfit the once-over. "Are you still mourning the loss of your family?"

"Well, duh." "It just happened, of course I'm mourning."

Xena needs some clarification. "Hold on." "This was part of of your family?" "And why do I need to leave?"

Aphrodite moves the veil away from her face. "Yes and Deerdra's gonna blame you for this."

Now she has Gabrielle confused. "Why?" "Xena wasn't here when it happened."

Aphrodite has been around humans long enough to know to be patient with their questions, no matter how tiring it is explaining things to them. So she begins. "Either Athena or Ares would watch over Lorrania whenever Deerdra went on one of her trips." "Now, Athena's dead and Ares just gave up his life so Xena could have hers." "Deerdra's going to be furious."

Xena wants to make sure she heard her right. "Wait." "Ares?" "Are you sure?"

Aphrodite dabs at her eyes. "My brother's gone, Xena." "He loved you that much."

Gabrielle doesn't buy it. "Come on." "This is Ares we're talking about." "It has to be some kind of trick or something."

Xena isn't so sure. "Akimi did say that someone was pleading my case." "It never occurred to me that it might have been Ares."

Back to the town square and Deerdra's yell vibrates what's left of the city's walls. "Xena!!!!"

Aphrodite winces. "We're too late."

The words no sooner leave her lips and Deerdra is standing in front of them. Her face is contorted from the pain and anger and Gabrielle swears she saw a flicker of red in her eyes.

Deerdra spews the accusation at Xena. "This is your fault!" "My family's dead because of you!"

Gabrielle keeps her distance but still tries to calm her down. "Take a breath and calm down, Deerdra."

Deerdra snaps back at her. "Stay out of this, Gabrielle!" "Death follows her family!" "This ends right here, right now!"

Before Xena has time to react, Deerdra grabs her and hurls her against a nearby wall. It gives way, sending Xena tumbling through to the other side. Deerdra flies after her and out of Gabrielle's line of sight. She starts to follow after them, but Aphrodite stops her.

"Wait, there's more to Deerdra's anger than you know."

"That can wait." "Right now I need to find out if they're okay."

"No, right now you need to stay out of the way and listen to me." "Deerdra is honor bound to avenge Athena's death."

"Athena?" "Why?"

"She and Deerdra were married- up until the truth and Athena's true nature came out."

While they talk, they can see snippets of the action through the hole in the wall. One moment Xena will go flying by with Deerdra marching after her. Then Deerdra will go flying by with Xena marching after her.

"What truth?"

"That Athena had a hand in her conception."

"You mean she pulled and Ares?"

"Not exactly." "Ares had sex with Deerdra's birth mother but Athena came after and helped things along."

Gabrielle's stunned. "Deerdra's Ares' daughter?" "She's a demigod?"

"Yep." "Hercules with boobs."

The fight is brutal but, Xena being Xena is holding her own amid Deerdra's flurry of punches and kicks, but in the end, Deerdra is just too strong and angry. She hits Xena with one final massive blow that sends the Warrior Princess to the ground, hard, knocking her unconscious. Deerdra stands over the bloody and bruised warrior and chuckles. Xena wakes in time to see Deerdra raise her sword above her heart and she remembers Akimi's final warning and for the first time during a battle, Xena is afraid for her own life and passed out again.

Deerdra senses that the end is near and grins. Then Xena's saving grace happens. Deerdra's eyes glaze over and she 'sees' Stephany, a sorrowful look on her face. 'No more killing, Deerdra.' 'Please.' Her eyes return to normal and she glares down at Xena. By killing her, she would be hurting two people she cared about. Frustration mingles with anger. She yells and rams her blade into the ground next to Xena. "That's one."

Meanwhile, on the other side of the wall, the sudden silence then Deerdra's yell panic Gabrielle. "They've stopped fighting." "Xena!"

Gabrielle zooms through the hole and all she sees is Xena on the ground and Deerdra standing over her with a sword nearby. She doesn't stop and ask questions. She runs and tackles Deerdra, sending them flying to the ground and before anyone can say anything, Gabrielle applies 'the pinch' to Deerdra, freezing her where she lies. Gabrielle sprints over to check on Xena.

"Xena?" "Xena, wake up." "Don't you leave me again."

Deerdra releases the pinch by herself then staggers to her feet. The sight of Gabrielle leaning over Xena deflates her ego and breaks her heart. She walks over Aphrodite. "Heal her."

Aphrodite kisses Deerdra's cheek. "You did the right thing, sweetie."

Deerdra disappears through the hole in the wall she and Xena made as Aphrodite walks over to and kneels beside Xena.

Gabrielle looks at her, hopeful. "Can you heal her?"

"Yep."

She places her hands inches above Xena's limp body, the wounds healing as she moves across the fallen warrior's limp body. Moments later, Xena opens her eyes and leans back on her elbows.

She looks at Gabrielle then Aphrodite. "What'd I miss?"

*CONTINUED*

in

chapter eleven

Author's Page

Return to the Academy