"The End is the Beginning"

By

Wilbur

Chapter Three: "The Long Goodbye"

Go to Part 1


 

After an uneventful night, Deerdra slept in the chair and Xena watched, morning arrives. Gabrielle wakes up, yawns and stretches and searches for Xena. Spotting her standing at the foot of the bed, she smiles. "Morning, Xena."

"Good Morning." "How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good, rested." "The arm is a little stiff, though."

"Good." Xena walks over to the side of the bed then runs her fingers through Gabrielle's hair. "You had me worried there for a while."

Gabrielle sits up in bed and takes Xena's hand into hers. "Are you okay?"

Deerdra stirs, startling Gabrielle. "I'm fine." "How are you doing this morning?"

Gabrielle turns to look at Deerdra. "What?"

"You asked---oh." She stands up and stretches. "Are you hungry?"

Gabrielle grins. "Starved."

Deerdra reaches over and feels her forehead. "Fever's gone, your color is good, plus you're hungry, all positive signs." "And your arm?"

Gabrielle moves her arm around. "A little stiff, but fine."

"Excellent!" "I'll go get you some food then we can start your bath."

That perks her up. "A warm bath?"

Deerdra chuckles. "Piping hot."

Gabrielle relishes the thought of soaking in a nice warm bath. "I don't remember the last time I took a hot bath." "Thank you and thank your physician for me."

Deerdra grins. "You're welcome and I will." "I'll be back in a few."

As soon as the door closes, Gabrielle flops backwards, sinking into the pillows. "Ah, I've never slept so well in my entire life." "I wish you could feel just how soft this bed is Xena." "Xena?"

"Hm?" Xena was lost in her thoughts wondering what Deerdra's game is.

"Where were you just now?"

"Just thinking." "Nice bed, huh?"

"That's what I was talking to you about." "You feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." "By the way, the physician didn't heal you, she did."

"But, I remember him looking at my arm and putting salve on it ."

"That was Deerdra." "She mixed up some kind of powder and put it on your arm." "She also made sure I knew that's all she had."

"Huh." "I'll have to ask her about it." "Do you think it also helped break my fever?"

"I don't know, maybe." "I've never seen anyone recover as quick as you have."

Gabrielle smiles. "I see that part of our lives hasn't changed." "We're still running into mysterious people." "Wait, she knows that you're here?" "Can she see you, as well?" Gabrielle isn't sure she wants to share Spirit Xena with anyone. Even if that someone has saved her life, twice.

Xena also likes having their relationship kept a secret. "Yes, she knows I'm here and No, she can't see me."

"Then how..."

A soft knock on the door puts a stop to any further discussion. Xena and Gabrielle look at each other.

"Answer it."

Gabrielle answers with a curious "Come in?"

The door creaks open and it's the little girl from the village, Mary, holding a basket of white roses.

Gabrielle smiles, relieved. "Oh, hi." "Come in." "Mary, right?"

Mary is a little shy, at first. "Uh,huh." "These are for you." "I picked them myself this morning." She hands the basket to Gabrielle who takes one out and inhales the scent.

"They're beautiful, thank you." "Where in the world did you find white roses?" "Did Deerdra find these for you?"

"No ma'am!" "I picked them from the rose garden." "You can see it from your balcony."

Gabrielle whispers to Xena as she gets out of bed. "You didn't tell me there was a flower garden."

"You're just now waking up, plus I haven't left your room yet."

Gabrielle opens the double French doors and is amazed at the sight. Row after colorful row of roses. Every shade of the rainbow is represented with the odd exemption of blue. The river of color takes her breath away. "By the Gods... it's beautiful!"

"I know, and when the wind blows just right, the whole city smells like flowers." "Everyone smiles and whatever is bothering them that day just goes away." "It's like magic."

Xena raises an eyebrow at the magic comment. "And just where did these flowers come from?"

Gabrielle turns to look at Mary. "I imagine it would seem like magic." "Did Deerdra plant them all?"

"She and her brother did, in memory of their Mother and those that they've lost."

"Her brother?" "Oh, right I remember."

"Uh, huh." "You probably saw him when you first got here." "He's in charge of the soldiers."

Xena moves in behind Gabrielle. "I doubt that you did see him, being unconscious and all."

Gabrielle gives her a "Smart Alec" look.

Mary chimes in. "Oh, wait, Socair had to carry you." "Maybe you didn't see Lor." "Well, he isn't too hard to find." "He's the tallest person in Lorrania and he's real nice to everyone...except Deerdra."

"Well, family can be that way." "I'm sure it's temporary."

The light in Mary's eyes dims a bit. "I don't think so." "Lor hates Deerdra and has for as long as anyone can remember."

That piques the warrior and bard's attention. "Oh?" "Why?"

"It has to do with a girl they both liked a long time ago." "If anyone brings it up, Lor gets all angry and Deerdra gets all quiet and sad." The light flickers back on in her eyes. "You should put the flowers in some water so they'll stay pretty."

The abrupt subject change throws Gabrielle for a second. "What?" "Oh,right." "They are beautiful."

Xena's back in her ear. "Quick, ask her about her visions."

"Mary, Deerdra told me that you have visions." "I bet that can be kinda scary, huh?"

Mary shrugs. "Not really." "I don't have them very often and it usually isn't about anything bad." "Well, I've gotta go." She gives Gabrielle a big hug. "I'm glad you're feeling better."

"Me too." "One more thing." "I noticed that there aren't any blue roses." "Why is that?"

Mary shrugs. "Deerdra's tried to grow them, but each time they'd die so she gave up."

"Oh, so that's why you were so happy when she gave you that one."

"Uh, huh." "And because they won't grow here, when I saw it in my dream, I knew that Deerdra would find me one for my collection." "Well, I need to get to school."

"Thank you, again." "I'd like to come and see your collection sometime."

"Okay, but it's not really a collection as it is books." "After they dry, I put them between the pages."

"That's a great idea."

"It was Momma's idea and I have lots of books." "Bye!"

Gabrielle chuckles as Mary dashes off through the door, just missing plowing over Deerdra.

Xena tuned out as soon as they started talking about flowers. Instead, she stepped out onto the balcony to see what was so impressive. "They're pretty enough, but...huh?" While she's looking at the flowers, their colors shift, melting into each other and swirling like some kind of weird kaleidoscope. Unnerved, she takes a step back and rubs her eyes. Everything is back to normal. A little hazy, but normal. "Okay, that was odd, unless..." She looks over at Gabrielle and Mary and her heart sinks. The two aren't only hazy, but almost transparent. "I don't have much time." "The closer I get to Amphipolis..." "She sighs and bows her head. "How do I tell Gabrielle that as soon as she places my ashes in my family's crypt, I'll be gone--for good."

Her train of thought is interrupted when Mary shouts Deerdra's name. "Hi, Deerdra!" "Bye, Deerdra!"

Deerdra laughs. "Kids." "Where do they get all that energy?" "Hey, you're up!"

"Yeah, Mary brought me a basket of roses and told me about the rose garden." "I just had to see it for myself."

"Beautiful, isn't it?" "Here you go, one piping hot bowl of oatmeal garnished with apples and cinnamon."

Gabrielle takes the bowl and sits down on the edge of the bed. "Mmm, it smells good" She scoops a heaping spoon full and gives it a taste. "Um, hum, tastes good, too."

Deerdra grins. "I'm glad you like it." "Eat up and I'll start your bath."

Gabrielle has a mouthful of oatmeal. "Mumm, I can eat and soak at the same time." "Lead the way."

Deerdra smiles and shakes her head. "This way." And heads for the door to their right.

Gabrielle follows, eating as they walk. They enter another large room with the same light gray walls. Sitting smack dab in the middle of the room is a snow white marble bathtub. It has thin dark gray lines running throughout and specks of gold showered about. It isn't perfectly round. It's shape more resembles a clam shell. Polished copper pipes snake along the ceiling. One end extends up through a hole in said ceiling and at the other end is a spout, with pull chain, poised above the bathtub.

Xena smirks. "Is everything big and dramatic with her?"

Gabrielle stops eating mid bite. "Wow!" "That has to be the most beautiful bathtub I have ever seen." "Where did you find it?" She looks up and follows the piping. "And that's where the water comes out?"

Xena crosses her arms. "Let me guess, hot water, right?"

Gabrielle sure doesn't want to take a cool bath, so she asks. "Hot water?"

Deerdra grins. "Piping hot water." "We pump in water from a spring fed lake to supply the city and a furnace on the roof heats it up for everyone." "Our baths, the kitchen, the soldiers showers, even the community baths for the townspeople."

Xena can't believe that Deerdra is for real. "She can't be for real." "And that tub..."

"The entire city is provided with hot water?" "You're putting me on."

"Nope, it's true." "Just pull that chain to signal you want some water and stand back."

So she does and--nothing. She looks over at Deerdra who is smiling. "It takes a moment for the water to get down here." "But it's coming, promise."

In the meantime, Xena walks around the bath and thinks to herself. "If this was pink and shrouded in sheer fabric..."

The pipes grumble and moan and with a airy Whoosh the water shoots out and begins to fill the bath. And thus Xena's train of thought is interrupted. As she's looking at the water, just like the flowers, the distinction of pipe and water blur, each melting into to other. Curious, she reaches out to touch the water and is surprised to feel--nothing. She runs her fingers through the streaming water, fascinated at the lack of sensation. She pulls her hand away and shakes her head trying to clear her mind of the fog that is threatening to move in. "Snap out of it Xena." "Stay in the here and now."

Gabrielle shouts over the rushing water. "How do I turn it off when it gets full?"

Deerdra shouts back. "Just pull the chain again!"

She yanks on the chain and after a moment the water stops. "Wow." "Where does the water go after it drains?"

"A separate holding tank so it can cool before it's released into the irrigation ditches."

"Amazing." "Did you and your brother think this it all up?"

Deerdra laughs "Oh, no we're not that smart." "A group of Roman engineers stayed with us." "They didn't like taking cold baths so they came up the piping system and helped to put it in." "That sure was a pain."

Xena and Gabrielle look at each other. "Romans?"

Deerdra is surprised at her reaction. "Yeah, we don't judge those who come here to start over-especially if they want to atone for their past misdeeds."

"Oh, no don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing and have done." "It's just that Xena and I have had some seriously bad run-ins with Romans and their army."

Xena chimes in. "That's an understatement."

"They're not still here, are they?"

"Oh, no." "This was a long time ago." "No one here will cause you any problems." "Subject change." "The water should be cool enough for a bath by the time you finish your breakfast." "I'll go get you a towel and a robe and a change of clothes." "I'm sure you would like to have what you're wearing washed." "The soap's by the tub." "I'll be right back."

"Yes, thank you." Gabrielle waits until she's sure Deerdra is gone before gushing to Xena. "Have you ever seen such a bath tub before?" "I mean, this whole place is unbelievable!"

"You can say that again."

"You don't trust her?"

"Not yet." "Not until I do some nosing around."

"Come on, you have to admit this is pretty great." "It's exactly the kind of place where I'd want to start over."

Xena mumbles. "Maybe you should."

"What'd you say?"

"That's just the problem." "It's too perfect."

"Xena--"

"Gabrielle, I have to tell you something and you're not going to like it." She takes a deep breath and, standing in front of her, puts her hands on either side of Gabrielle's shoulders."Gabrielle, I'm--"

Deerdra breezes into the room speaking at full volume. "Here you go!" "A big poofy robe, a soft towel, and I even found a pair of slippers!"

Deerdra's sudden appearance puts the brakes on Xena's 'confession', much to her dismay-and relief. Gabrielle, on the other hand is left hanging. "What?" "What were you going to tell me?"

Xena waves her off. "Later, when we're alone."

Deerdra is curious why she hasn't gotten a reaction to her gifts. "Gabrielle?"

"Huh?" "Oh, a robe and a towel, thanks."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." "I was just talking to Xena."

"Oh," Her tone isn't a happy one. "I'll put these by the tub where you can reach them." "Let's take a quick look at your arm." She unwraps the bandage. "Yeah, that's healing up real nice." "How does it feel?"

Gabrielle swings her arm around. "Great, I can barely feel the wound." "Xena says you put some kind of paste on it."

"A recipe from dear old Mom." "She was a pro at concocting potions and pastes for all sorts of ailments." "And lucky you, you were the last recipient of that particular paste."

"She didn't share her recipes with you?"

"Oh, yes." "Mother taught me lots of things." "It's just that the ingredients for that particular cure aren't available here."

"Where do you come from, Deerdra?"

"A long way from Greece." "Here, let me take that empty bowl so you can get started with your bath."

"Oh, sure and thank you, for everything."

"My pleasure." "Enjoy your bath and when you're done, feel free to roam around the house and explore the grounds and the city...preferably after you get dressed." Big grin.

Gabrielle chuckles. "Not a problem ."

Xena watches as Deerdra leaves and Gabrielle undresses. "Finally!"

Gabrielle laughs. "Xena, she's just trying to be a gracious host." "What were you going to tell me earlier?"

"It can wait." Not that Xena has lost her nerve, she just doesn't want to spoil Gabrielle's bath--which she is slowly slipping into.

"Mmm, this feels so good." "So, what do you make of this place, Xena?"

"It's hard to say." "I haven't had a chance to look around yet."

"I thought you were going to while I was recovering."

"I was, but Deerdra changed my plans."

"Really?" "How?"

"She never left your bedside last night."

"And I suppose you spent the night watching her."

"Of course." "We don't know anything about her or this place, which is why I'm going to find out right now." "Enjoy your bath." And, poof, she's gone.

Gabrielle shudders. "I will never get used to her doing that." She slips further down into the warm, soothing water.

Xena is out on the town square wandering among-and through- the townspeople. "Nothing seems out of the ordinary." "Smiling, happy people, no beggars or bums." "Okay, that isn't normal but I'm not picking up on any bad vibes." "No Xena, you're just talking to yourself." As she's taking in all of the sights and sounds, she catches a whiff of a very pleasant and familiar scent. "Mmm, fresh baked bread." She closes her eyes to further enjoy the smell and as she does, the din of the crowd becomes a whisper and she is enveloped by a calming and warm light that begins to pull her upwards. It would have succeeded if it weren't for one of the only two sounds that could have possibly broken her trance--the 'clang', 'clang', 'clang' of metal on metal. (The other sound being a distraught Gabrielle yelling for help). She snaps open her eyes and focuses on two court jesters play fighting while entertaining a crowd. "Just some street performers." The comfort she felt while in the trance bothers her. "Whatever is going to happen to me is happening soon." "I have to get back to Gabrielle."

She reappears in the bathing room next to the tub. Gabrielle has nodded off, her head resting on her shoulder. Xena takes a moment to reflect on their life together, and to gaze upon the bathing beauty one last time.

She runs her fingers through Gabrielle's drying hair. "What's to become of you when I'm gone?" "Which path are you going to take?" "Mine or forge your own?" "Trust your heart and do what's best for you." *sigh* "I'm going to miss you, Gabrielle." "I love you." She leans over and kisses Gabrielle lightly on the lips. This wakes her up. She opens her eyes and yawns.

"Xena." "Did you say something?"

"Yeah, way to stay alert Sleeping Beauty."

"I was alert, I heard them bring my clothes back." "I just didn't hear you." "You are a spirit after all."

Xena stands up and clears her throat. "Yeah, about that."

"Hold on, I need to get out of this water." "I'm turning into a giant pink prune." She climbs out of the tub and begins to dry off.

Xena tries again. "Gabrielle,I---"

She's interrupted by a loud knock on the bathing room's door. "Now, what?"

Deerdra yells through the door. "I brought your boots back from the cobbler." "Are you still in the tub?" "You must look like a giant pink prune by now."

Gabrielle slips on the fluffy white robe and the slippers then walks into the bedroom. "That's funny." "I was telling Xena that exact same thing."

"No offense, but is she always around?"

Xena grumbles back. "I was wondering the same thing."

Gabrielle gives Xena the stink eye. "Not always, but she has gotten a little overprotective lately." The two smirk at each other. "But she did explore your city while I was in the bath."

"And what does she think of Lorrania?"

"She hasn't said, yet."

"Ah, I interrupted." "Dinner will be a little longer, so you'll still have time to do some exploring yourself." "I'll leave now so the two of you can talk."

Xena mumbles. "I'll believe that when it happens."

Deerdra heads for the door then stops. "I almost forgot."

Xena throws her hands up in exasperation.

"Mary has it in her head that you're going to go over and see her today."

"Yeah, we talked about it earlier." "Tell her I'll be there in a little bit."

"She'll be thrilled." "She loves showing off her collection." "Well, I'll see you at dinner."

Deerdra closes the door behind her and says something inaudible to Socair.

"Finally!"

"Xena."

"Well, she's always interrupting when I'm trying to talk to you."

"She's gone now." "So, tell me." "How is the city?" "Find any hidden portals leading to a Hell dimension?"

"Not funny."

Gabrielle laughs. "Sorry." "What did you find?"

"Not much." "Everyone seems genuinely happy to be here-which is odd in it's self, considering some of the cities and villages we've been through."

"That's it?" "I was expecting more, considering how long you were gone."

"How long?"

"Long enough for me to get all pruny." "Why?"

"No reason." "Look, I need to tell you something important before you go see Mary and I don't think you're going to like what I have to say."

Xena's serious tone of voice alarms Gabrielle. "What?" "What's wrong?" "We're in Tartarus, aren't we?" "I knew it!" "I knew this was to good to be true." "So, Deerdra's what, one of Hades' minions?"

"No, it's nothing like that." "As a matter of fact, I think you should stay here for a while-after you and Deerdra get back from Amphipolis."

"I've already thought about coming back--wait." "Did you just say Deerdra and me?" "I thought that you didn't trust her."

"I don't, not entirely, but you're going to need some help on this trip, more than I can offer" "You saw how scared those men got when she showed up and the closer you get to Amphipolis, the more desperate the thieves are going to get--to put it nicely."

Gabrielle doesn't believe Xena's change of heart about Deerdra. "I know what this is." "This is about you not trusting in my skills as a warrior." She mocks Xena. "Oh, look at the little bard, trying so hard to be a tough warrior like me." She's trying to contain her anger now. "Well, I am a tough warrior.' "I may not have as much of a killer instinct as you, but I can take care of myself!"

She throws on the rest of her clothes and stomps toward the door.

This is so not the conversation Xena wants to have on what could be her last day. "Gabrielle!" "That's not what I meant!" "I do trust your skills!" "It's just--where are you going?"

"To look at a little girl's flower collection!" She slams the door behind her.

Xena yells back at her. "Gabrielle, wait!" "I'm leaving you!" "Gabrielle!"

She stands in the middle of the room staring at the door, hoping Gabrielle will change her mind and come back. When she doesn't, Xena's heart doesn't just break, it shatters and a tear slowly rolls down her cheek. "Goodbye, Gabrielle."

*CONTINUED*

in

chapter four


Return to the Academy