"The End is the Beginning"

By

Wilbur

Chapter Eight: "Repercussions"

 

Go to Part 1


 

The big day arrives and Gabrielle is jarred awake by a loud thud followed by angry words muttered in a strange sounding language. "Deerdra, did you here that?" "Deerdra?" Not getting an answer, she looks around and down and sees Deerdra standing next to the smashed campfire and rubbing her behind. The scene is too funny not to laugh and as Gabrielle does, she nearly falls out of the tree herself, causing her to laugh even harder. She regains her balance then picks her way down the tree still laughing.

Deerdra is in a good mood, considering what just happened. "Well that's a heck of a way to wake up." "Obviously it's do as I say and not do as I do." "I'm just glad that the fire was out." This elicits even more laughter. By the time Deerdra turns around to reveal the black and gray of the soot on her behind, Gabrielle is in tears. "I'm going to go clean up and change." "See if you can pull yourself together long enough to saddle the horses."

Gabrielle wipes her eyes. "Okay."

While Deerdra is off at the river, Gabrielle breaks camp and readies the horses, giggling as she goes.

Deerdra returns crisp and clean. "Good morning, chuckles."

"Good morning." "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." "I'm glad I could provide you with a laugh first thing this morning."

"Oh, you did and I thank you." "Its been a long time since I laughed that hard."

"I aim to please." "If things go well today, that won't be the last time." "Do you mind eating on the go?"

"I don't mind at all." "Let's go."

They don't push the horses, but they don't saunter either. They arrive at the forest surrounding the peak late in the afternoon. The four-thousand foot peak juts out above dense trees and rock.

The butterflies begin to flutter in Gabrielle's stomach. "So that's it." "That's where it all happens."

Deerdra is anxious as well, but she plays it cool. "Yep." "Not too ominous looking." "The trees are too thick to ride in, we'll have to walk."

More butterflies begin to dance. "The moment we enter the forest, those wolves will be on our heels."

"Yes, so we'll have to keep moving and move fast."

Gabrielle hops down, grabs the satchel with Xena's gear in it, and slings it across her back. "Then let's go."

They pick their way through the trees and brush at at brisk pace, every twig snap and leaf rustle prodding them to move even faster. They pause at the base of the peak to catch their breath.

Gabrielle is surprise they haven't been challenged yet. "What are they waiting for?" "Do you see anything?"

"No, but they're there, watching, waiting for our defenses to drop." "Keep going, it'll be getting dark soon."

The climb is easy at first with plenty of footholds, but the higher they go, the smoother the sides become. Several slips and slides later, they reach the summit and by the time Gabrielle scrambles up the last three feet the stars are high overhead.

"Deerdra, you have to see this." "It's just like Mary described."

"I'm coming." She hoists herself up and stands next to Gabrielle. "Wow."

The top of the peak is flat with grass and rock scattered about. It is ringed by thick trees and brush. There is a seven foot by seven foot rectangle of dirt dead center.

Deerdra jokes. "Gee, I wonder where the ritual takes place?"

Gabrielle chuckles."Hmm, it's a mystery."

A wolf growls in the distance from somewhere below them. Both women spin around at the ready.

Gabrielle has drawn her sais. "Do you see them?"

"Just a bunch of beady eyes staring at us and put those away."

"Sorry, it's a reflex." "We'd better hurry."

~~~

Xena has been glued to the crystal bowl, anxious to see how it all ends but the 'picture' has faded away sending her into panic mode. "Wait!" "Where did they go?" "There's nothing but water in this bowl!"

Akimi bows her head. "It is time for you to prepare for your return--if you so desire."

"If I...oh." Her heart sinks remembering the choice she now has to make. "Go to Solan and the Elysian Fields or back to Gabrielle and my old life." She takes a long pause, long enough to search her heart and what she truly desires. Xena stands straight and tall, the decision made. "What do I have to do to get back to her?"

Akimi's smile is bittersweet. She knew which Xena would choose, but still she hoped. "You must clear your mind of all thoughts, blackout all that which you see and hear and become one with the silence."

Xena scoffs. "Oh, is that all."

Akimi ignores her sarcasm and continues. "Gabrielle will do the same on her end." "When the two of you are as one, you will return to her."

Xena takes a deep breath. "Let's get started then." She limbers up with some stretching then sits down and crosses her legs.

Akimi has one final warning. "Xena, before you begin, you must know that this will be the last time you will be allowed to return to the land of the living." "The next time you die--"

"I'll stay dead, go it." Xena closes her eyes and concentrates on her breathing, trying to pretend that this new bit of information doesn't bother her.

Akimi knows better. She walks over to Xena and strokes her hair. "Good luck, my sweet."

~~~

Back on the peak, Gabrielle and Deerdra are busy placing bits of the baked bread around the tree line and under the bushes. The moon is low in the sky and it is dark up there.

Deerdra strains her eyes to see, anything. "We sure could use some more light up here."

As if on cue, four torches burst into flame, one at each corner of the rectangle. Deerdra looks over at Gabrielle. "What the..?" "Did you see who--?"

"No, I didn't see anyone."

"Okayy." Deerdra takes out the scroll and begins to read off what needs to be done. "First, you need to draw Xena's outline in that dirt patch with a branch freshly cut."

There is a rustle in the bushes then a fresh cut branch flies out and lands at Gabrielle's feet. Deerdra pauses to look at it then continues. "And we need four oak logs to make a pedestal." "Three feet long and three inches thick."

More rustling then four perfect logs roll out of the forest. The two befuddled women look at each other. Gabrielle starts to say something, but Deerdra motions for her not to. "I'd rather use a staff to fight off the wolves instead of my swords."

Sure enough, a perfectly shaped staff lands at Deerdra's feet. Both women take a step back.

"Okay, Deerdra." "Now that's creepy."

"Yeah, I know, but at least they're here to help." "You need to start drawing while the cut is still fresh."

"Right."

While Gabrielle draws Xena's outline, Deerdra goes about fastening the logs together with one long strand of green vine that the Wood Wives let her gather for herself to create the pedestal. She backs off to admire her handiwork then picks up the staff and checks on Gabrielle's progress.

She has to chuckle at how Gabrielle is figuring out Xena's height. She's laying in the grass beside the outline then marking how far up her head is in comparison to Xena's chest.

Deerdra eyeballs the line in the dirt. "Is that life size?"

Gabrielle dusts off her behind. "Yeah, why?"

"Oh, no reason." "I just thought that she'd be taller, that's all."

"She'll be a lot taller went she's standing." "What's next?"

"I kind of wish Margret had let us read this earlier, but everything had to be fresh." "Okay, next you fill in the line with Xena's ashes." "The ashes must be smooth, no lumps." "Don't use all of the ashes for the line." "You'll need to scatter what's left between the lines to fill her in." "Then pour one skin of water into the bowl and then carefully fill in the lines with the other skin of water." "Stay in the line, no runs or drips."

Gabrielle's palms begin to sweat. "When?" "Now?"

"No, not until we see the...sun." "Crap." Deerdra looks behind Gabrielle and sees the sun peeking over one horizon and the moon closing in on the other, she also sees a pair of glowing red eyes peering back at her. "Now, Gabrielle!" "Start the ceremony, now!"

Gabrielle darts over to the bowl, fills it up then unseals the urn. "Here we go, Xena." She gets on her knees then gently taps the ashes out of the urn all around the outline while Deerdra stands guard.

The outline complete, she stands and scatters the ashes. They can hear the wolf's claws scratching at the rock as it jumps then slides back down.

"You go and finish the ritual, I'll take care of them." She steels herself and readies the staff to charge the lead wolf.

"Deerdra, wait!" Gabrielle runs over and stands in front of her. "Deerdra, I --"

Unable to say the words, they gaze into each other's eyes then kiss, long yet tender. They would have liked for it to last even longer but a low and menacing growl coming from behind Gabrielle cuts it short. Both women are teary-eyed as they part.

Deerdra strokes Gabrielle's hair. "Everything is going to be fine." "You just bring her back, okay?"

Gabrielle sniffles. "Okay."

Deerdra gently kisses her forehead then turns to charge the wolf.

Gabrielle grabs her arm. "Be careful."

Deerdra gives her a crooked grin. "Always." With that, she tightens her grip on the staff and, like a runaway freight train, runs straight for the lead wolf. As she hits him, her momentum sends them sailing over the edge, taking out all of the other wolves along the way.

Horrified, Gabrielle races over to the ledge. "Deerdra!" It's too dark and too far for her to see anything. However, she does hear the echo of several wolves yelping in pain and Deerdra's voice. "Come and get me you mangy mutts!" Gabrielle lets out a sight of relief. "She's okay." It starts to get lighter so she glances over her shoulder and sees the top edge of the sun. She immediately flashes back to that last fateful day. "Xena."

She sprints to the ash outline and, quick but careful, finishes off the outline with the last skin of water. She then, stuffing her ears as she goes, takes her place in front of the crystal bowl. After taking a deep relaxing breath to clear her mind, she closes her eyes, dips a finger into the water, then repeatedly runs it around the edge of the bowl to make it sing. Each revolution causes the singing to get louder and louder until it reaches its dramatic crescendo sending its sound waves through the ground and vibrating the entire mountain top causing a rippling effect that mixes the pure water with Xena's ashes.

Down below, Deerdra has her hands full. Snapping wolves to the left of her, snarling wolves to the right of her and a broken staff in her hands. Her saving grace is the loud, high pitch of the singing bowl. All of the wolves except for one, stop and howl in pain, not that it's an opera to Deerdra. She drops what's left of her staff and protects her ears. The Alpha sees the opening and leaps. As the song reaches its ear piercing peak, there is a blinding flash then silence.

* * * * *

The flash has knocked Gabrielle off her feet, the impact with the ground rendering her unconscious. The bowl is intact but the torches have burned to the ground and the ashes are gone. A woman in need of some clothes kneels down to check on her. Satisfied that she is okay, the woman picks through a pile of brown leather clothing. Gabrielle rolls over and mumbles. "Xena?"

"Hum?"

Gabrielle opens her eyes and sees only dirt and rock. Heartbroken, she sits up and unplugs her ears. That's when she sees her. "Xena!" "You're alive!" She jumps to her feet and runs over to the now fully dressed and very much alive Xena and darn near knocks her off her feet. They embrace for a long time. "I missed you so much."

"And I missed you, Gabrielle."

"You are really here, aren't you?"

"There's only one way to find out." She holds out her hand.

Gabrielle gives her the one thing that is Xena's and only Xena's--the chakram.

Xena hesitates then takes it from her and naturally has to try it out. She flings it at the trees. It careens off of one, bounces off of another, pings off of a rock then zips right back to her.

"You are here!" Gabrielle gives her such a hug, Xena feels as though her ribs will break, not that she minds. She missed feeling--everything. She does take a moment to enjoy the warmth of Gabrielle's body against her own. They do part, eventually, but only far enough so as to gaze into each other's eyes. Xena slowly and seductively runs her fingers through Gabrielle's hair. Gabrielle, in turn, caresses Xena's cheek. Xena leans down and Gabrielle closes her eyes. Their hot, moist lips meet and then-- Gabrielle pulls away.

"Deerdra!"

This sudden reversal nearly strips Xena's gears. "What?"

"She's down there fighting off the wolves!" Gabrielle snatches up the flour sack and tosses it to Xena. "Here, grab the bowl and let's go!" She takes off over the side leaving Xena standing all alone.

Xena looks around at the empty mountain peak. "Welcome back, Xena."

* * *

When Xena and Gabrielle reach the bottom, they are sickened at the sight and the smell. Deerdra's unconscious, bloody, and covered in bites, with small chunks of flesh missing. She's laying among a sea of equally bloody and unconscious hairless wolves.

Gabrielle's heart sinks. "Deerdra!" She rushes over and feels for a pulse. "No, Deerdra, you can't die." She looks to Xena, panic strewn across her face, for some reassurance.

Xena searches for any sign of life then shakes her head no. "I'm sorry, Gabrielle." "She's gone."

Gabrielle sits down behind Deerdra's limp body then cradles her head in her lap and starts to cry. "You're here because of her." "If we hadn't met..." More tears.

Xena isn't without sympathy. She may not have liked or trusted Deerdra, but what a way to go. "She died a warrior's death." "We'll honor her by making sure it wasn't without cause." "I owe her that." Xena's empathy changes over to concern when she notices something odd about Deerdra's wounds. She uses a calm even tone to warn off Gabrielle. "Put her down and back away, now."

Through her tears, Gabrielle sees it too. She gently lays Deerdra back down and stands next to Xena.

A bright warm light begins to emanate from each of her wounds, leaving perfectly healed skin in their glow.

Gabrielle gasps. "By the gods, what is she?"

Xena remembers a thread from the Otherworld. "Akimi called her one of The Appointed Seven."

That distracts Gabrielle from the light show. "Akimi?" "You were with Akimi?" "And who in Hades are the Appointed Seven?"

"Akimi couldn't say." She points at Deerdra. "Look, her wounds are almost healed."

Gabrielle marvels at the glowing skin. "Amazing." "I wonder if these Appointed Seven are related to the gods?"

"Yeah, but which ones?" They look at each other then take a step back.

Weapons are drawn when Deerdra suddenly yells out in pain. She opens her eyes and is welcomed back by two unnerved warriors and the tip of Xena's sword. She looks past the blade and over at Gabrielle. "I see that it worked." She winces as she works her way to her feet. Xena and her sword follow right along with her. "Welcome back to the land of the living, Xena." "You can put your sword down, my staff broke several wolves ago."

Xena isn't about to let her guard down. "What are you?"

Deerdra isn't concerned about the scowling warrior standing in front of her. "In a great deal of pain at the moment."

Xena isn't amused. "You know what I mean." "Akimi called you one of the Appointed Seven." "Explain."

Deerdra continues to poke the bear. "Akimi?" "Isn't she the woman who got you killed in the first place?" "What were you doing hanging around her?"

A question Gabrielle would like answered. "What were you doing with Akimi?"

Xena's anger starts to build but she remembers another thread. She grits her teeth."She was keeping me company until it was decided if I would be allowed to come back to the land of the living." "Can we get back to the problem at hand now?"

The fun and games has ended for Deerdra. "The only problem is that you're still pointing that sword at me."

Gabrielle doesn't sense any malice from Deerdra. "It's okay, Xena." "You can put your sword away."

Xena gives Deerdra the once over then slowly lowers her sword but keeps it in hand.

Deerdra accepts the gesture, however small. "Thank you." "May we leave now?" "It's starting to get a little rank around here and I'd like to clean up a bit before I answer your questions."

Xena is agreeable but still suspicious. "Fine." "After you, and no sudden moves."

Deerdra looks over at Gabrielle. "You're right, she is taller when she's on her feet."

Gabrielle snickers, Xena does not.

They head for the road single file. Deerdra leads the way with Xena right behind her, a sword in one hand and the other poised above the chakram. Gabrielle takes up the rear conflicted and wondering what to do next. They walk in silence, the only sound is the crunching of leaves and needles under three pairs of boots. Deerdra attempts to lessen the tension.

"So, Xena." "What was Heaven like?"

Not the conversation she wants to have right now, especially with her. "Quiet."

"Ah."

They continue on in silence and when they arrive at the main road, they're surprised to find that the horses are right where they left them. Even more surprising is that Deerdra's swords have been neatly hung from the saddle horn of her horse. She reaches around and feels her back. "Wow, I didn't even know they were gone." She claps her hands then rubs them together. "So, who's riding with who?"

Xena shoots her a dirty look.

Deerdra clears her throat. "Right." "There's a pond just up the road." "I'll take a quick dip to wash off then we can be on our way." She grabs her traveling bag and her swords. "I won't be long." "Don't go anywhere, now."

Xena smirks as Deerdra jogs back into the trees. "That's tempting."

"What?" "Taking a bath."

"No, leaving."

"Xena, you said you owe her."

"That was before she healed like she did."

"Yeah, I'm going to go have a little talk about that to her right now."

"Gabrielle, wait."

"I'll be fine, don't worry."

Xena watches her walk away. "Famous last words."

By the time Gabrielle catches up to Deerdra she's already stripped and in the water scrubbing away.

"Oh, are you joining me?" "I've got plenty of soap."

"No, I'll wait to have a warm one back at your place." "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was afraid it would scare you off."

"Deerdra, I've seen a lot of things that defy explanation." "You healing like you do isn't a big deal." "But hiding it from me is."

"Remember that rumor I told you Colin was spreading?" "It was about me and it wasn't so much as a rumor as an exaggeration of the truth."

"You're the reason your family was exiled." "That's quite a burden to carry."

"Yep, to my grave, I will." She isn't to keen on having this heavy a conversation buck naked in a pond. "Well, if you aren't going to join me, I'd like to dry off and get dressed now."

"Oh, sure, sorry." She turns around to give Deerdra some privacy and to screw up some courage. "Um, Deerdra?" "You know that kiss before you dove off the mountain?"

"Yeah, that was nice." "I wouldn't mind doing it again."

"That's just it." "Xena's here now and--"

Deerdra walks past her, fully dressed and grins. "I know."

Gabrielle's life just got a lot more complicated.

When Deerdra and Gabrielle emerge from the trees, Xena is waiting for them in the exact same spot as when they left.

Deerdra can't resist. "Can I do a quickie or can I do a quickie?"

Gabrielle blushes and gives Deerdra a playful push from behind. Xena is not amused. "Are you ready to tell us what you are now?"

"After I return the siren's bowl." "You two go on ahead and make camp, I'll catch up later."

"Gabrielle can ride your horse then."

"I'll catch up a lot faster on horseback." Nice try Xena, Deerdra thinks.

"Fine." Xena hops aboard the white mare then holds her hand out to Gabrielle. She jumps on and wiggles in behind Xena. "Be careful, Deerdra."

"No worries." "Be safe, yourselves."

Xena grips the reigns in a choke hold then spurs the mare into a sprint. "Hang on!"

Deerdra coughs and shakes her head at the resulting dust cloud. "This is going to be a fun trip."

 

*CONTINUED*

in

chapter nine

Author's Page

Return to the Academy