To Live Remastered

by

Am21Cards

(E-Mail: Am21Cards@yahoo.com)

Go to Part 1


Previously on To Live :

' I have to help him. ' Gabrielle's mind was made up.

She went into the temple.

Chapter #4 - Nightmarish Reality

Sumaria -

Morrigan walked into the main palace from her room to see Nebula gazing out the window. "Mornin'" she greeted, as Nebula nodded in return.

"Is Gabrielle awake?" Morrigan asked.

"No, not yet." Nebula said quietly.

"I'll go check on her, maybe she's getting ready." Morrigan said as she went toward the room Gabrielle slept in.

A few moments later, a frantic Morrigan came back. "She's gone!"

"What?! How? Where?"

"I don't know, but she isn't here. She wouldn't have gone without us. She's too on edge, she wouldn't want to be by herself right now."

The two women both heard a cackling laugh, as Ares appeared.

"What have you done Ares! Where's Gabrielle?" Morrigan demanded.

"She's fine. Just giving her a little head start is all." Ares replied.

"By the Gods Ares. You sent her to Greece alone didn't you?" At Nebula's accusation, Morrigan paled significantly.

Nebula noticed. "Look, I don't care which one of you, but someone tell me what is going on, and tell me right now."

Morrigan shook her head, unwilling to compromise the small amount of trust Nebula has in Gabrielle; unwilling to tell Gabrielle's secrets; unwilling to put the responsibility of Iolaus' death, and Hercules' suffering on Gabrielle's shoulders.

"Like I said Nebula, you'll find out.Well, gotta roll!" Ares smiled, as he disappeared.

Nebula glared at Ares as he left, and turned her glare to Morrigan. "Let's go. The faster we get a move on, the faster we can help Hercules."

Greece -

Gabrielle, mindful of keeping her identity concealed, approached Dahak. Something told her not to speak, or tell him who she was, and for the life of her she couldn't pinpoint why.

She doesn't speak, but is careful not to touch the altar, Dahak, the chains that bind him, or be in the way of blue light.

"Please, it's that blue light. You must do something about it! It's keeps all those who are good bound. Evil will win if I can't get out of here to help fight."

Gabrielle hesitated. ' All who are good?' If I mess this up, I could wind up next to him .' Her hesitation was a hair too long for Dahak's liking.

"You want to help, right? Then you need to go directly behind the staff. Any other angle and you'll end up here like me.Please hurry. I'm worried the one who did this will be back soon to check on me, and like I said, Hercules won't be back for days.Who knows what could happen by the time he returns."

He sounded desperate. However, when he had spoke just now, she jumped back in statement. Fortunately, she did not gasp nor accidentally reveal her identity.

' Iolaus, how did this happen? ' Gabrielle wanted to ask. She looked around quickly, no one else was there. She eyed the Sapphire resting on top of a jewel-encrusted staff.

Gabrielle was about to reach for it, following the instructions given when a booming voice stopped her cold.

"NO! STOP!" Came Hercules' voice as he ran towards them. Gabrielle gasped in surprise and retracted her arms, as she backed away, hoping Hercules wouldn't identify her.

"Don't touch that. You can't. You move that stone, you will release the most evil..thing that the world has ever known." Hercules said, racing toward them. He glared at Dahak angrily.

Gabrielle saw an immense sadness in his eyes, behind the anger, quickly realizing that the person who looked, sounded, acted, and talked like Iolaus, was anything but.

' By the Gods Hercules..What happened to Iolaus ? How did he wind up like this? '

Gabrielle cocked her head to the side as if to ask who 'Iolaus" was. She put her hand at the base of her throat, and shook her head hoping to communicate to Hercules that she couldn't speak.

"He is an evil named Dahak. He killed my best friend; taking over his body and trapping his soul in with him. He loves to play mind games, make you think that things are happening, and see things happen, that really aren't. He's extremely dangerous." Hercules sighed. "Come on, let's get you out of here."

All Gabrielle heard was "Dahak.killed best friend.trapping his soul.extremely dangerous."

Gabrielle stood frozen. Unable to move, barely daring to breathe.

' He killed Iolaus.Dahak killed Iolaus.No.Dahak.He's *here*?' As Hercules went to reach for her, she reeled back slightly, but swiftly.

Hercules gave a soft smile. "You want to help don't you?" It wasn't a command, a pleading/begging like Dahak, but a simple statement Hercules made to acknowledge that he saw the good in this person, despite having no clue of her identity.

Gabrielle wanted to nod, but was still too frozen.

' Don't be sick, don't scream, don't speak, don't move . Don't do anything.Breathe, deep in and out, in an out.He can't hurt - Of course he can hurt you!! You need to get out of here!! ' Her mind screamed.

"Oh Hercules, really? You're going to drag another poor soul into this? Going to make another friend that I will just kill in the end? So let's see, my total is already at one, it will be three by the time I get through with Morrigan and Nebula."

Hercules attention was now fully focused on Dahak. "You will *not* take anyone I love away from me again. I will get Iolaus back."

"No. You won't. Soon the sun will set and I will be free."

As the argument between the two continued, Gabrielle silently slipped away unnoticed.

Gabrielle ran as fast as her legs could carry her until she happened upon the trees. Grateful for paying more attention than anyone knew to Ephiny, and their sister Amazons as they would travel through the trees, Gabrielle vaulted herself as far from the ground as she could.

Reaching a distance away from the temple, with only the trees to hear her, Gabrielle succumbed to her emotions.

Walking outside the temple, a frustrated Hercules looked for the mysterious figure. He had a feeling their intentions were good but because of Dahak's trickery, could have very well committed the biggest mistake had he not gotten there in time.

Glancing at the ground, he noticed footprints. Heavy initially, but as the figure picked up their pace, became lighter, soon disappearing completely.

Hercules sighed, hoping he wasn't dealing another supernatural being.

To Be Continued.

Back to the Academy