Buffy the Vampire Slayer

“The Witch”

Episode 3

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyright 20th Century Fox Film Corporation . All original content of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog


TEASER

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WITCH COVEN/CEREMONIAL ROOM – 15 YRS AGO/EVENING

The room does not appear to be manmade but grown. The tree trunks form the walls and the ceiling is a solid, impenetrable mass of intertwined branches. Leaves are present; unusual not in the color, but in the soft green glow they emit. There are thousands of them, filling the chamber with pleasant illumination and imparting a feeling of magic and wonder. The only other source of light in the living, circular chamber is the fire burning in the large stone bowl, set upon a rock. There are no windows or doors and the floor is packed dirt. Numerous WITCHES ring the fire, with the closest wearing cowls and the back rows without head covering. The robes are a rainbow of cloth, with all colors present and accounted for and then some. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and rings adorn the various WITCHES; the seniority is apparent in the distance from the front and confirmed in the amount of jewelry an individual wears.

HOODED HIGHEST MOTHER, dressed in grey robe, steps out of the first circle and stands before the bowl.

HOODED HIGHEST MOTHER, tossing powder into the fire, reverently

HOODED HIGHEST MOTHER

I invoke and call upon thee O Mother Goddess,
who shines for all, who flows through all.
Maiden, Mother, and Crone,
I invite you to my circle;
Touch us, change us, make us whole.

HOODED HIGHEST FATHER, attired in dark green robe, joins her around the fire, stepping out of the first circle and ending opposite her.

HOODED HIGHEST FATHER, tossing powder into the fire, praying

HOODED HIGHEST FATHER

I invoke and call upon thee O Father God,
Lord of the Sun, Master of all that is wild.
I invite you to my circle;
Touch us, change us, make us whole.

The flames, which ignored the earlier addition, now burn brighter and stronger in response.

The ceremony is suddenly interrupted as numerous people step right thru the wall in one spot, confirming it an illusion concealing an entrance. Dozens of WATCHERS, including YOUNG GILES, file in the room and partially surround the WITCHES. The WATCHERS are armed with shotguns and are positioned to avoid crossfire. The WATCHERS wear numerous protective relics and all their clothing is synthetic. If that was not enough, they are backed by COWLED WITCHES. Everything about the WATCHERS is designed to neutralize the powers of the Sunnydale's WITCHES and the COWLED WITCHES are evidently there for backup and extra protection.

One of the WATCHERS breaks from the formation and moves slightly ahead of others.

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER, unrolling a parchment, officiously

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER

By the order of Watchers' Council, the entire Sunnydale Coven, sparing no soul, is to be erased. The premises will be sealed and any and all public and personal possessions either destroyed or taken into custody.

HOODED HIGHEST MOTHER, unafraid and defiant

HOODED HIGHEST MOTHER

You have no jurisdiction and no welcome here, Watcher.

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER

We have a responsibility.

Pause.

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER, to WATCHERS

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER

We are the will of the Council.

WATCHERS, in unison

WATCHERS

We are the will made word.

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER, coldly

WATCHERS' COUNCIL ELDER

Kill them all.

Screams and sounds of gunfire erupt in the temple.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INTRODUCTION

On the screen, various images of Buffy and the Scooby Gang appear and a voice reads the passage.

BUFFY VOICE-OVER

Into every generation she is born; one girl in the entire world, a Chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and the skill to fight against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S BEDROOM – LATE EVENING

Willow sits on the bed, legs crossed under her. The MAN is by the window, lost in the telling and staring at the past reflected in the darkness outside. Appropriate, given the subject matter.

Willow, protesting, disbelief written in her voice

WILLOW

I don't believe you.

MAN, evenly

MAN

No, you don't want to believe; there is a difference. Ask Giles. Ask Willy at his place. Ask anyone in Brookville. When they finished with the Coven, the Watchers slaughtered anyone unlucky to be in residence there – despite the rumors, minor, mostly harmless demons live there. You are safer in that neighborhood today than walking around the rest of Sunnydale. The memory of the purge is still fresh and no one wants a repeat.

WILLOW

The Watchers are good.

MAN, sadly

MAN

Good people, who do bad things on orders, yes.

Willow, struggling to accept the truth, quietly asks the question she dreads

WILLOW

The witches …?

MAN, shaking his head, unable to face her

MAN

Humans, with free will; practicing their arts and minding their cauldrons, to borrow an image. Their crime was acceptance and tolerance.

Willow, feeling sick, groaning

WILLOW

No …

MAN

Men and women, many certainly not innocent and all opposed on views – they made it work nonetheless. Fear and ignorance killed them.

The MAN turns around and there are tears in his eyes as he locks them with Willow.

MAN, gently, voice laced with sorrow

MAN

Willow, you know what it is like to be different; the outsider, the geek. Xander doesn't share your prodigious talents or ability to choose a social circle. He is labeled a loser, not without cause; you are one by association, with him and by virtue of membership in math, science, and computer clubs. Yet, at most, you are ignored. The hatred of other, the distrust, and the anger that boils over and strikes in words and action – you never had to face that. Until today. I really wish it didn't have to be so.

Willow, tearfully, mind occupied with her own past, whispering

WILLOW

Giles … why did you do it?

MAN, looking away, guiltily

MAN

I am sorry, but you had to know. The hand that takes your life could belong to the one who calls you friend.

Willow, finding words elusive, scattering like roaches under the light of thought

WILLOW

… It … I …

Willow looks around and finds her stuffed toys resting against the pillows. She gathers the biggest, furriest one to herself and finds comfort in the familiar.

Willow, collecting herself, firmly

WILLOW

I want this. I want to be a witch.

MAN

Why?

WILLOW

I won't run from this. I am done hiding.

MAN nods and crosses over to her.

MAN

Summer Sabbat is next Sat. Your initiation will be during Mabon festival.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE – WILLOW'S BEDROOM – MORNING

Willow lies on her side when she wakes up. Her open eyes find an enormous, chunky feline, reclining near her. It is orange in color and easily over twenty pounds. The kitty is long overdue for some serious weight loss. Exercise wouldn't hurt either.

Willow blinks a few times and realizing the cat is real, reaches out with her hand. Strange eyes open and fix her in place. She freezes.

Mouse, yawning

MOUSE

Hands off, witch.

Willow, surprised and confused

WILLOW

Y-y-you talk?

Mouse, accusingly, unhappy

MOUSE

Buffy went demon and demolished our kitchen, leveled our living room and killed our TV. We are moving in with you.

Willow, pulling the covers to her ears, uneasy and a little freaked out

WILLOW

Mouse?

Mouse, pretending to be a cat, playfully

MOUSE

Where? Where?!

WILLOW

Stop that. You can't live here, this is my place. Besides, my parents will call an intervention when they find out there is a man in my room; in my bed no less. And probably send me to the convent.

Mouse, teasing

MOUSE

Thought they would rush to the church and offer prayers in thanks.

WILLOW

They don't know. Xander does, others suspect.

MOUSE

Their loss; we think you are a wonderful person. Of course, we lie often and our sanity has about left the station, but on the bright side: it's a complement. Cheer up, witchie; no hairballs, we use the bathroom, wear clothes, and clean up nicely.

Willow, eyes narrowing as the implication sinks in, outraged

WILLOW

You didn't?!

Mouse, lightly

MOUSE

Showered and clothed; trust me, we are decent. A bit of advice: sexy up the lingerie drawer or you will get no girl action. Seriously, we saw racier staff in our grandmother's storage chest millennia ago.

Mouse gets up and stretches, arching his back. He appears to have no problem with movement, despite his bulk. He jumps down from bed.

MOUSE

And stop letting your mom buy you clothes. No, just no. No with exclamation point. No with exclamation point, underlined and with a circle around it. Get us?

Willow, clutching her head, the headache arriving and announcing its presence promptly

WILLOW

What's with “we”? Just how many of you are there?

Mouse, offering no explanation, simply

MOUSE

Two.

WILLOW

And the second person is …?

MOUSE

None of your business.

Mouse runs over to the window and it opens on its own.

Mouse, springing to the window sill nimbly and then looking back, seriously

MOUSE

We protect you for Him, but this is a job. We are not friends.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – EARLY MORNING

STUDENTS drift through the halls, sparsely populated but slowly growing crowded with the approaching start of classes. A GIRL in cheerleader outfit is about to close her locker when she absently scratches her head. Puzzled, the GIRL frowns and looks at her right hand, holding strands of hair. The GIRL reaches out with both hands to feel her head and the hair now comes out on its own, falling down around her. In seconds the GIRL is entirely bald. The GIRL examines her head again and then checks the floor, stunned. Her confusion changes to panic and the GIRL starts screaming, shrieking like a banshee.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – EARLY MORNING

Buffy and Xander make their way down the locker-lined walls. Together, they watch the small crowd of STUDENTS waved away by Flutie and spot the reason for the gawking.

Buffy, stopping to check out the situation, dryly

BUFFY

That's new.

Xander, looking discretely at Buffy and letting his thoughts show, blurting

XANDER

Buffy, you are a mistress … ah … master of understatement.

Buffy, sternly

BUFFY

Mind over gutter.

Buffy holds the silence to let Xander know he got caught and lets him stew for a moment.

Buffy, joking

BUFFY

Totally bold of her.

Xander, groaning

XANDER

Leave the bad jokes to me. It is a burden I gladly bear.

BUFFY

You are a good friend.

Xander, joking

XANDER

Want to go out?

BUFFY

Not into Xander.

XANDER

Ouch.

They both observe Flutie trying to calm the GIRL without touching or coming near her and failing miserably. The GIRL starts crying and Flutie looks lost.

Buffy is about to make one of her pithy observations to the detriment of Flutie when Xander grabs her by the arm. She starts to react and only stops with difficulty; Xander yanks his hand back in alarm and examines it as if surprised that he still has it attached.

Buffy, scolding

BUFFY

No touchie; many have died for less, you know?

Xander, now that he has Buffy's attention, pointing

XANDER

Look! Her hair is on the floor. She did not shave.

Buffy, nonchalantly

BUFFY

And?

XANDER

Isn't that your job?

Buffy, importantly

BUFFY

I protect lives, not hairstyles. Except mine; I would kill for that.

XANDER

Knew that.

Buffy, slightly concerned

BUFFY

You think I am too violent?

Xander, smiling

XANDER

Nah, you are violent just right.

BUFFY

So, Giles?

XANDER

He will think it is the sign of Apocalypse.

Buffy, grinning

BUFFY

Then we definitively have to tell him at lunch.

XANDER

You are evil.

BUFFY

I love me.

Pause.

BUFFY

Come on, let's save Flutie. He might have to show humanity and compassion any second – the result could be a messy death by emotional overload, what with the little robot bits flying around. And I probably will be blamed.

Xander, slyly

XANDER

Aha, I am onto you, Buffy. You do care.

They are interrupted by Cordelia and the CORDETTES. They walk past the GIRL and Flutie, whispering loudly, and snapping pictures. Their giggles and intent to distribute make the situation worse and the GIRL latches onto Flutie and cries into his suit. Flutie appears stricken and stands there like a statue. Buffy and Xander look at each other and share in private understanding. Their amusement at the principal is short lived.

Cordelia, haughtily

CORDELIA

Guess what else is gone?

BUFFY

Not you … shame that.

CORDELIA

Don't bother trying out for the squad.

XANDER

What happened to tryouts?

Cordelia, ignoring Xander, to Buffy

CORDELIA

This is not about you, this is about me. It's always about me. And I already know who I don't want. Follow?

BUFFY

Yes. Care? Not.

CORDELIA

Whatever, losers.

Cordelia leaves, the CORDETTES trailing behind.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – EARLY MORNING

Buffy and Xander approach the GIRL and Flutie. Buffy gently disengages the GIRL from the principal, who looks grateful for the long second it takes him to realize who she is. Then his face clouds again. Buffy ignores him and hugs the GIRL, giving her what she needs. The GIRL relaxes to her ministrations.

Buffy, sympathetically

BUFFY

What's wrong …

Xander, behind Buffy, supplying quietly

XANDER

Amber.

BUFFY

… Amber?

Buffy releases Amber but keeps in physical contact with her. Amber immediately runs her hands over her bald head.

Amber, agitated

AMBER

It's gone, it's all gone!

Buffy, softly

BUFFY

Amber, it will be okay, trust me. This is important: was it all there this morning, before school?

Amber, sniffling

AMBER

I think. Yes.

Buffy, starting to lead Amber away from the scene of loss, soothingly

BUFFY

I want to make sure you are not sick. Let's take you to the school nurse and have her check you. Hey, think of it as an excuse to skip school today.

Xander bends down and fusses with his shoelaces as Flutie continues to watch Buffy and Amber.

Amber, morosely

AMBER

I am not coming back.

Buffy, lightly

BUFFY

Nah, your look is in. Was thinking to joining the club.

Amber, scoffing

AMBER

Yeah, right.

BUFFY

Okay, like not. Still, I would make it look good. I work it, girl.

Amber cracks a smile.

AMBER

You are Buffy, the new student from LA?

BUFFY

You must have seen the wanted posters Flutie put up.

Buffy and Amber walk away, chatting amiably.

Xander straightens up and follows a distance behind, giving them room to talk freely. He does not get far. Flutie arrests Xander's movement with a hand on the shoulder.

FLUTIE

Word of advice: stay away from Buffy. She is majoring in jail.

Xander, fiercely

XANDER

You are wrong. Problem is you have no faith in people, Principal Flutie.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

Willow walks to her locker and stops. She looks down the hall, noticing Cordelia closing in but not being noticed in turn; yet. Willow faces her locker, no opening it and just standing there, waiting. Few second later, she gets the attention she expects and more importantly, wants.

Cordelia, touching the outfit in question, insulting

CORDELIA

Check out the Salvation Army thrift finest.

Willow, nonchalantly

WILLOW

Careful, you might catch loser; heard it's communicable.

Cordelia is visibly stunned, shocked that Willow talked back.

Cordelia, recovering quickly and getting nasty, sweetly

CORDELIA

Aw, that's cute. Buffy must be rubbing off. Or is the rubbing mutual now?

WILLOW

Uh … um, what?!

Cordelia, tsking, amused

CORDELIA

Willow, Willow; you are too easy.

Cordelia steps close and whispers in Willow's ear, accentuating the last word for added effect.

CORDELIA

Word is she likes tall, dark, and not you. I applaud her taste in men.

Laughing and satisfied that she crushed the nerd, Cordelia starts to leave.

Willow, insolently

WILLOW

Oh Cordelia?

Cordelia, now annoyed, turns and opens her mouth to unleash on Willow, who evidently did not take the verbal beating to heart and needs another lesson in her insignificance. Instead, she finds it covered with Willow's lips. Stepping into it, Willows right hand goes to the back of Cordelia's head and the other around the waist, pressing their bodies intimately close.

CORDELIA

MMPH!

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

Buff and Xander are walking down the hall side by side when Buffy staggers and grabs him for support.

Xander, worried

XANDER

Buffy?

Buffy, weakly

BUFFY

Whoa. Someone stuck a straw in me and had a big gulp of Buffy.

Xander, blurting out

XANDER

I just went to a place. I am there and happy. I am in a happy place.

Buffy, disturbed

BUFFY

Do that in private and don't feature me.

Xander, cheekily

XANDER

I can't promise anything.

Buffy, regaining her strength and standing on her own, darkly

BUFFY

I can. And I will.

Xander, pitifully, whimpering

XANDER

Please don't hurt me.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

After the initial surprise wears off, Cordelia tries to turn her head away. Willow drops her hand to Cordelia's butt and squeezes the cheek, buying a few extra seconds. She releases her embrace shortly thereafter.

Willow, smugly

WILLOW

Rub that.

Smiling, Willow walks away, leaving red and embarrassed Cordelia behind. Of course, to the watching STUDENTS Cordelia appears that way for a different reason. Realizing this, Cordelia plays it as cool as possible, departing with as much pride and dignity as she can muster. After composing herself and straightening her clothes and hair, she strides in the other direction, eager to escape.

In her distraction, further down the hall, Cordelia almost walks into Willow. Same outfit but her hands are full of books.

To Willow's astonishment, her tormentor makes a startled noise and bolts for the nearest bathroom. Puzzled, she looks around and realizes everyone is watching her and snickering. This is her worst nightmare: everyone looking and pointing at her.

Putting her head down, Willow scampers to her locker and with shaking hands tries the combination. She is near panic, her breathing fast and irregular.

MAN, appearing next to her, leaning on the locker, informationally

MAN

We Hate Cordelia Club is victorious.

Willow, pouring her stress into words, talking fast

WILLOW

What did you do? Not that I don't appreciate the gesture, I do, but punching her is not in me. I admit to occasional bad thought and fleeting pleasure taken with it. It does not last, that is not who I am. Willow is good, Willow does not hit people, Willow does not wish anyone harm; even Cordelia. Especially Cordelia. Because that would make Willow bad and bad is …

MAN, interrupting, evenly

MAN

You kissed her.

That stops Willow cold and she settles down. Calmer, she manages to open the locker.

Willow, mouthing

WILLOW

Wow.

Pause.

Willow, shyly

WILLOW

Was it a peck?

MAN, grinning

MAN

You went French and her ass got manhandled, well, woman handled, okay just plain Willow handled.

WILLOW

Wow.

Pause.

Willow, impulsively

WILLOW

Go me!

Pause.

Willow, working it out

WILLOW

What now?

MAN, with a straight face

MAN

She will either avoid you or ask you out.

Willow, finding it funny, giggling

WILLOW

The horror.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – MORNING

A CORDETTE runs into Cordelia coming out of the classroom.

CORDETTE, grabbing Cordelia's arm, excitedly

CORDETTE

Dish.

CORDELIA

Yes Harmony, she is.

HARMONY

You did not …

Cordelia, freeing her arm, with disdain, scoffing

CORDELIA

Please.

Harmony, sighing

HARMONY

You are so perfect Cordelia. I wish I was you.

CORDELIA

I don't.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – CLASSROOM – MIDMORNING

The TEACHER is busy looking over the lesson plan. Other STUDENTS are either idly bored or engaged in conversation. Buffy and Xander have their heads close together, chatting in low voices to avoid being overheard.

Xander, sternly

XANDER

Willow and Cordelia were smooching earlier. This will not be spoken off. Ever.

Buffy, running thru the situation, smartly

BUFFY

Best friend.

XANDER

Check.

BUFFY

Mortal enemy.

XANDER

Check.

Buffy, emphasizing each word, strongly

BUFFY

Did. Not. Happen.

XANDER

Check and double check.

BUFFY

Checkage.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – LIBRARY – NOON

Buffy and Xander are playing paper football on the table, while Giles stands there with his arms crossed, disapproving. Buffy flicks the folded triangle thru the uprights of Xander's fingers and sticks her arms up in victory.

Buffy, doing a little wiggle in place, exulting

BUFFY

Slayer kicks, Slayer scores, Slayer triumphs!

Xander, pouting

XANDER

Slayer is a sore winner.

Willow takes that moment to walk in.

Buffy, turning to Willow, friendly

BUFFY

Hey stranger, how was the weekend?

Willow, sitting down heavily, despondent

WILLOW

I had an intervention Sunday. I am grounded till death or dentures, whichever comes first.

Buffy, impressed

BUFFY

Willow, you devilish devil. Share the happy.

WILLOW

Mouse moved in, walked downstairs and met my parents …

Pause.

Willow, holding silence for dramatic effect and then adding with a grin

WILLOW

… wearing my clothes.

XANDER

Don't tell me, it got bad?

WILLOW

Boyfriend bad. Also, Mouse has enemies and he put up protection trinkets.

XANDER

Hello, bride of Satan.

Pause.

XANDER

Wait, rewind to the part about your clothes on Mouse.

BUFFY

Someone beat you to your fantasy? I have a killer red dress and matching heels.

Xander reddens and slides down in the chair.

Xander, lamely

XANDER

Red is not my color.

Buffy, mercifully letting Xander off the hook, generously

BUFFY

Shotgun. Fish. Barrel.

Pause.

Buffy, to Willow, intrigued

BUFFY

Just how religious are your parents?

Willow, giggling

WILLOW

I am in therapy and counseling for doing it; all over the house and frequently.

XANDER

Don't you have to … you know … do it first?

Willow, dismissively

WILLOW

Details.

Buffy, doing an impression of Willow

BUFFY

Hi, my name is Willow and I'm doing it a lot. I don't know exactly what and I don't remember anything about it but I am sure I like it since I keep doing it. I am Willow and I'm a doing it addict.

Pause.

Buffy, turning to Giles, who is stoically enduring this entire exchange, smartly

BUFFY

What is it exactly that I am supposed to be doing?

Giles, moving to the stack of books, offhand

GILES

We have a witch to burn.

BUFFY

Right.

Willow, Xander & Buffy, exclaiming

WILLOW, XANDER & BUFFY

What?!

Giles, picking a book from a nearby cart and taking it over to the table, reassuringly

GILES

Figuratively speaking of course.

Willow, unable to hold her tongue any longer, sharply

WILLOW

Murdering witches becoming routine?

Her tone sells it; Giles stops in the middle of a step and the book falls from his suddenly numb hands. It lands on the floor with a thud and Willow looks away, her expression angry. Buffy and Xander look at them and then at each other, not understanding what just happened. Buffy and Xander share their confusion with body language.

Giles, covering his loss of composure, mumbling an excuse under his breath

GILES

Uh … uh, terribly sorry, must have tripped … how clumsy of me.

Pause.

Giles, prattling away, nervous

GILES

Right, yes … um, the witch. The girl this morning was the victim of a curse. To confirm it, I need an article of her clothing or something with a personal connection.

Xander, reaching down into his backpack and taking out Amber's hair, embarrassed

XANDER

Will this do?

Giles, troubled

GILES

Xander, why do you have her hair?

Xander, defensively

XANDER

It's not what you think.

Buffy, looking at him as if he grew another head, skeptically

BUFFY

It's worse?

Xander, pleading

XANDER

Willow, help me here.

Willow, wickedly

WILLOW

My, Xander, what a big shovel you have.

Xander, playing along, amiably

XANDER

To better dig with, dear Willow.

Willow, grinning

WILLOW

My, Xander, what a big hole you dug.

XANDER

To better bury myself, dear Willow.

Giles, affecting suffering

GILES

I am surrounded by children.

BUFFY

Word.

GILES

You too.

Giles reaches and takes the clump of hair from Xander without further comment. He opens the book to the illustrations of Saint Columba of Sens and Saint Cyprian of Carthage. The drawings are black and white, on opposing pages. He places Amber's hairs on the page and closes the book, sandwiching them. Three heads lean in close and watch in fascination.

Giles, proudly

GILES

The Mother and the Father; they are the patron saints of witches. The book is enchanted to detect them by their work. If an individual is under influence of one, it will clearly show it and summon a divining rod of sorts to ferret out the perpetrator.

BUFFY

Check out Giles, James Giles; agent 666.

Giles, with a proper bow, a perfect gentleman

GILES

In her Majesty's service.

Giles opens the book and three gasps are heard. The illustrations are now in full color, but that is not what causes the reaction. It is the hair, twisting and changing, forming a silver chain with a green stone at the end.

GILES

It is used the same way as a plumb bob. It points to the nearest witch. That is a problem.

BUFFY

Hellmouth overflowing with cauldrony goodness?

GILES

Exactly. We need to narrow it down.

They hear a scream from outside the library.

XANDER

Evil strikes again. How convenient and considerate.

BUFFY

Like music to my ears. What? I am action girl. Giles reads, Willow hacks, Xander … Xander, what do you do exactly?

XANDER

I get captured and need rescuing. Someone had to do it.

BUFFY

Way to shatter the manly man stereotype.

Xander, humbly

XANDER

I do my best.

Giles, to Buffy, pointing at the exit, impatiently

GILES

Buffy: screaming, evil, action.

Buffy, running already, shouting

BUFFY

Slayer away!

Giles, grumbling

GILES

I swear that girl sometimes …

XANDER

Don't be bitter, you don't have my job.

Willow stands up and pulls Xander to his feet.

Willow, kindly

WILLOW

Come on Xander, enough self-immolation for one day.

XANDER

I love it when you use big words.

WILLOW

You have no clue what it means.

Xander, brightly

XANDER

I live in hazy, warm ignorance. It stops my head from hurting.

Willow side hugs Xander; putting an arm around his lower back, she brings him close.

WILLOW

Poor baby.

Xander drapes an arm over her shoulder and they walk out together, following Buffy.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – EARLY AFTERNOON

Buffy runs out and into a solid crowd of STUDENTS. Seeing no way through, she looks around and spots a fire extinguisher. She opens the small wall cabinet and takes it out. Few passing STUDENTS stop and gape at her, one STUDENT takes off; Buffy gives them no mind. She takes out the pin and lets loose; she aims low, not wanting to inhale the stuff.

It is enough. The STUDENTS clear out in a hurry, leaving behind GIRL #2, dressed in cheerleader outfit. She has stopped screaming and appears to be in shock. Her clothes are stretched tight and Buffy realizes the GIRL #2 is gaining weight at a rapid rate.

Buffy tosses the fire extinguisher aside and taking the GIRL # 2 by hand, she steers her to the nearest classroom. Checking first to see if it is empty and finding it so, she pushes the GIRL #2 inside.

Buffy, concerned the restrictive clothes could harm the girl, ordering

BUFFY

Strip.

Receiving no response and a blank look, Buffy easily rips the blouse and skirt, tossing them aside. She helps the GIRL #2 to the floor and quickly takes her shoes off. Hearing the knock on the door, she moves to intercept.

CUT TO:

INT. SUNNYDALE HIGH – HALLWAY – EARLY AFTERNOON

Willow knocks on the door while Xander keeps the STUDENTS back, menacingly waving the fire extinguisher he picked off the floor.

The door opens slightly and Buffy's head pops out. She is blocking access and view inside the classroom.

BUFFY

Flabby chubby curse.

WILLOW

Weight gain of the unexpected kind?

BUFFY

UFG. Confidently heading for morbidly obese and eyeing beached whale; I got her down to underwear. Is there a danger if the balloon keeps going?

WILLOW

Sorry Buffy, everything has to go or it could turn into tourniquet.

BUFFY

Sometimes, being the Slayer sucks.

Pause.

BUFFY

One of the weasels sounded the alarm, expect Flutie any second. Inform Giles and get a blanket.

Willow, rushing off, enthusiastically

WILLOW

Willow away!

Xander, mumbling low, a trifle miffed

XANDER

I didn't get a “Xander away!” Buffy gets one, Willow gets one; so not right.

Buffy, before disappearing inside

BUFFY

Xander, hold the fort.

XANDER

I am a wall.

Pause.

Xander, turning and finding no one there

XANDER

And talking to one. Good one, Xander.

Flutie, appearing like a ghost behind him, sounding like the cat that ate the canary

FLUTIE

Mr. Harris, playing firefighter, are we? Want to guess how many safety codes you violated by discharging the fire extinguisher? How about the number of school policy violations?

Xander, playing dumb, guessing innocently

XANDER

Lucky seven?

Flutie, dropping nice, barking

FLUTIE

Where is she?

Xander hesitates and Flutie gets right in his face, his expression expectant.

Xander, unable to stall any longer, meekly

XANDER

Inside …

Flutie pushes past him and grabs the door handle; he is about to turn it and enter.

Xander, finishing, smirking

XANDER

… with a naked student.

Flutie jumps back as if the thing in his hand developed teeth and bared them at him.

Fortunately, Giles arrives with Willow in tow. He is carrying a bundle wrapped in a blanket. Giles quickly evaluates the situation.

Giles, protecting the Slayer at the expense of Xander, politely

GILES

One of the students had … an accident and I asked Buffy to help her. I understand the memo went out from your office to engage Miss Summers and keep her out of trouble if possible. She is, very ably I should add, assisting me in this particular, unfortunate matter. Xander had the right intentions but he should have waited for an authority figure to disperse the mob of students surrounding the girl.

Flutie, quickly settling for one of the gang, faking gracious

FLUTIE

Witness reports are reliably unreliable. Shall we call it a small misunderstanding? I have the person of interest in custody and you have things here in hand. I will inform Nancy she has another patient. Please make sure that the injured student is evaluated promptly, for liability reasons. Under no circumstance are you to go in there until she is covered and you will leave the door open at all times.

Pause.

Flutie, walking away, smiling

FLUTIE

Don't hold up the progress, Mr. Harris. Parents to call, yours, forms to file, suspension, and that long talk I been meaning to have with you about your future, grim. And bring that fire extinguisher; we want mug shots for posterity.

Xander follows Flutie like a condemned man going to his execution.

Willow, teasing

WILLOW

Welcome to being grounded for life, may I take your order?

Xander, bitterly

XANDER

Bite me.

Willow, giggling

WILLOW

Xander away!

Xander does not help his cause by turning and sending a short burst of agent at Willow's legs. Flutie stops and clears his throat loudly; Xander resumes the green mile.

Giles, ignoring the hijinks, to Willow, urgently

GILES

Quick, put the amulet around her neck and then cover her up. Open the door when you are done.

WILLOW

This will reverse it?

Giles, sadly

GILES

No, she has to do that the old fashion way: diet. And she cannot take it off until the curse is broken.

Willow, indignant

WILLOW

Some witches don't play fair. Hair loss and weight gain – that's a teenage girl's worst nightmare. What's next? Killer acne?

Giles, reminding her of her duty, firmly

GILES

Willow!

WILLOW

Moving!

Willow swiftly opens the door and slides inside the classroom, careful to minimize the exposure of the occupants inside.

Giles, to himself as he takes up guard position, chuckling

GILES

One sarcastic Slayer, two well-meaning but hopeless best friends, and an aging Watcher – Hellmouth won't know what hit it.

 

FADE OUT:

TO BE CONTINUED

END OF PART ONE

 

Return to the Annex

Return to the Author's Page