Earth in Turmoil

by Psyche_b

Go To Part 1

The adventures of the Star Traveler Andromeda that started in Among the Stars, Beyond the Farthest Planet, So Far From Home and The Voyage Home continues in Earth in Turmoil.

Feedback: gwieniechi@yahoo.com

Chapter 3


The secure hanger was dark. Thick tarps covered any open area to keep the interior safe from prying eyes. A low scraping sound cut through the silence as the thin beam of a flashlight cut through the darkness to light up a small section. The light moved, held in the hand of a person dress all in black with dark smudges covering his face. He climbed out of the hole in the floor and walked around the room. The beam stopped on the covered area. He walked around the hidden craft. After several minutes he disappeared back into the hole as the grate was lowered and hid all evidence he was there. With the light gone, the room was plunged back into darkness.


Minutes later the sound of the door being unlocked could be heard. Light from the outside lit up a small area. General Millhouse walked in with Kacey close behind, followed by Mike, Bella and several armed guards. The door closed cutting off all outside lights as the interior lights came on. One soldier flicked a switch raising the tarp over the hidden craft.

"What we have here is a prototype of an experimental aircraft. It is top secret." General Millhouse stated. "Only those who will work on this craft will be allowed into this room. Even those who bring in the supplies are not allowed past the warehouse. Commander Torino, you will handpick twenty to twenty five people to work to get this craft airborne. More will be brought in later. That number is only a starting off point."

"Understood General." Bella replied.

"Make sure they can pass a rigorous security check."

"Why all the secrecy General?"

He nodded to three of the guards who left the building. "Not only is this craft top secret, what I am about to tell you is also. Since you were gone several factions reared their ugly heads."

"Factions sir?"

"Yes the same type that almost destroyed the earth during the last war. We foolishly hoped these factions and their hatred were gone, unfortunately they only went into hiding. Now that we are seeking out new civilizations they are more vocal. Right now we are able to hear some of their broadcasts as they keep changing frequencies and locations. This air craft and others we hope to build here under the strictest secrecy."

"Sir what exactly will this craft do?" Kacey asked.

"This craft cannot be tracked by radar, sensors, scanners or sonar. It also has cloaking technology. The sophisticated listening devices can pick up a whisper from two kilometers away and can pinpoint the exact location of these factions. Once found we can go in and shut down these factions before they become to big or start causing too many problems. At least that is what we hope to do with this craft. This prototype is no where near ready to test. We hope that will change once you all return from vacation." General Millhouse told them.

Bella walked around the craft. She reached out and touched the dark hull and felt it warm under her finger tips. The color lightened around her hand. "Uh General, why is this hull getting lighter?"

"That is another of this craft's capabilities. Our scientist have developed a device that allows the craft to blend into the area around it."

"A chameleon effect?" Mike asked.

"Precisely Colonel Anderson."

"How many of this wonder craft are you hoping to build?" Bella asked.

"We want to start with two dozen, if this this one performs as well as we hope it does."

"What sort of time frame are we looking at General?" Kacey asked.

"Once the prototype is up and running, we would like to see one or two every four months."

"I think that will be doable with the people I have in mind." Bella stated.

"General O'Malley, I want your people to help build this craft. They too will have to pass strict security checks. Choose wisely, General." He ordered. "Admiral Tacher is filling Admiral Jensen and Commander Torino in about this craft as we speak. They will be the only persons from off base who will be allowed into this hanger."

"General, are these ships designed for deep space?"

"Ah, I wondered when that question would pop up. Yes General O'Malley they will have those capabilities. With more deep space missions planned, these ships will be a great asset. In space their top speed will be warp nine point five, which it can hold for a hour. It will be equipped with electron charged pulse cannons as well as photon torpedoes and phasic weapons. The shields can handle a direct hit of twenty two fifty KPS, thanks to your design of integrating diamonds into the shield matrix. The patent for the design is in your name and you will be well compensated for your design. It has enhanced sonar, scanners, sensors, extended star charts, can carry a crew of six or be fully operated by one or two persons. As of right now, our technical people are designing a simulator program for this craft. As soon as it is ready, you three, plus your top instructors need to learn every thing about this craft."

"We will General." Kacey answered. When will this craft be ready for a test flight?"

"We are aiming for two months after you report for duty."

"Do you have the specs for this baby?"

"They are under lock and key in both your offices." He handed Kacey and Bella seal envelops. "This contains the location of the secured areas in your offices and the only keys that will open the locks in addition to voice commands set to your voice patterns. These keys must never leave your possession."

"We understand, General."

"Do you have any further questions about this craft?"

"Not about the craft sir." Kacey replied.

He handed her a box. "If you have any questions call me on this phone. The number is already programmed in. This is a direct connection to my line." He held his phone. "I know you are all wondering about the need for complete secrecy. The reason is that there are persons in all ranks and services who are not completely loyal to their oath and belong to those factions."

"I could probably name two of them." Kacey said.

"You would be right, but keep that information under your hat. They have no idea that they are under suspicion." He ordered.

"Yes sir." Kacey walked around the hanger. "General how often are security sweeps done?"

"Twice a day, every day, at rotating times."

"Do those sweeps include Bella's and my offices?"

"As of right now, no. However once you assume command of the base and work begins, then yes your offices will be included."

"The only way in and out are through these doors?"

"Correct. Has something got that famous goblin meter of yours running?"

Kacey laughed. "Have you been talking to Kate, General? She is the only person who called it that. But yes, my goblin meter is starting up. Where does this grate go?"

"It leads to the holding tank for contaminated water and other liquids that get spilled on the floor. Why?"

"If the pipe is as big as the grate, then a person can gain entrance into the hanger."

"That General O'Malley is just one of the many reasons you were chosen for this position." He stated and turned to the guard. "Have someone you trust walk through the pipe. Have gates installed every twenty meters and inside the holding tank."

"Do you want them welded shut sir."

"Unfortunately maintenance will have to be done so the gates cannot be welded, but definitely locked. Also have cameras installed by each gate."

"I will get a crew on it immediately sir."

"Very good. Any other questions or observations before we head over to lunch and finish the rest of the tour?"

They walked out of the hanger after the tarp was lowered over the craft. The lights clicked off leaving the room in darkness.

----------------------------------
"Admiral Jensen, You and Commander Torino are two of a very select group of people who will be involved with a special top secret project that is in the first stages at Ridgefield Training Base."

"Ridgefield? That means Kacey is heading this project." Kate stated.

"She is. Once you return from vacations, you will need to get together with her and she will explain the project to you both. Commander this project calls for a rigorous screening process for those selected to work on it."

Rhea nodded. "Admiral why all the secrecy?"

"As General Millhouse is explaining this project to General O'Malley, I can fill you in. During your voyage, factions have become more vocal and grown in number. We have people on the inside, but information is sketchy at best due to their perilous positions. The project is a new craft that will help us find the locations of these factions and put an end to them."

"What are these factions doing?" Rhea asked.

"They are spreading dissention and working to destroy everything we have built since the last war."

"If Kacey were here, she would say that the leaders are descendants of the twenty first century Republicans who worked to destroy everyone who wan not a rich white man and to get richer from starting wars."

"She would be correct in that statement. Many are directly related to those politicians. With more deep space missions planned and alliances formed with other races, it is important we stop them now. The survival of the Earth depends on our success."

"I believe I can name two of them." Kate said sarcastically.

"You would be correct, Kate, but keep those names quiet. As far as we know, they are clueless to the fact that they are being watched."

"I understand, Admiral." Kate said. "What exactly will be our role in this project?"

"Everything will begin with your office. You will choose who gets sent to Ridgefield. You must be extremely selective with the appointments to the base. We know there are members of these factions in all ranks and services. We cannot take the chance of their being sent to Ridgefield and discovering what we are working on. Even on the Joint Chiefs, only General Millhouse and I know of this. These orders come directly from the President." He handed them a card and package. "This phone is a direct line to me and General Millhouse. Our numbers are programmed in already. It is a secured line and will be used only for anything pertaining to this project." Admiral Tacher ordered.

"Yes sir." Kate and Rhea said together.

"Admiral due to the sensitive nature of this project, do you want any notes or reports filed?"

"No, not unless absolutely necessary. We know there will be times when meetings will not be possible. At those times, any notes pertaining to this project must be secured. I cannot impress upon you how important the need for secrecy. The fate of the world could be at stake."

"We understand, Admiral."

"President Cord would like to have a meeting with you and General O'Malley as soon as you are both up to speed. She is scheduled to visit again in six weeks. I know you will not have been in your new positions for very long, but the meeting will be to keep you advised on any new information that comes her way."

"We will get together with Kacey and her people."

"You will also need special badges to get into the area on the base. Right now there are only two in existence. I have one and General Millhouse has the other. When you return we will have your badges ready for you. Now what do you say to allowing me to buy you both lunch, then we can finish the tour of your office and meet your people."

-------------------------------

"Did either of them say how long they would be tied up with these meetings?" Patricia asked.

"Kacey was not sure how long she would be at the base." Natalia replied.

"Kate either." Anya added.

Patricia placed the tray on the table and handed each a cup of tea before she sat down and picked up a pad. "How many responses have we received?"

Anya picked up her pad. "As of this morning, one hundred forty three couples have responded. At this rate both dining rooms and the patio upstairs will be in use."

"Music is all set. Kacey contacted many of the musicians from Andromeda. So far eighteen have agreed to play for the opening. She sent them something called a play list."

"That is so the musicians know what music sheets to bring with them." Anya told her.

"The food has been planned and ordered. It will be buffet style for the night, but I think it might be something we can have on a regular basis."

"That is a good idea. What about the staff?"

"They have all agreed to stay on. We may have to bring in extra people for opening night."

"How many are working?" Anya asked.

Patricia check her pad. "Four cooks, seven bartenders, sixteen waitresses, five bus boys and three dishwashers. The liquor license came in today. Liam is checking to see if we will have enough liquor and beer. Knowing him he has already ordered more." They laughed. "He insisted that we needed to put a couple Irish meals on the menu."

"Kate's white tux came this morning right after she left."

"What is Kacey wearing?" Patricia asked. "Not her uniform I hope."

"She said she would wear the tux she wore on Andromeda, but I am having a special one made for her. It will be ready by the end of the week. When do you want to go shopping for our dresses?"

"How about Friday?"

"We don't have anything planned. Kacey said she wanted to work on the music."

"The repairman is coming on Friday to replace the shingles that came off during the storm, but Kate can handle that. And she is working on a special art project."

"Did you know she gave us those pictures she did during your vacation on Brin?"

"I did. She asked if I minded her giving them to the restaurant. Of course I thought it was a fantastic idea."

"Liam put them up on both sides of the stage. The look great." Patricia looked over at the sleeping children. "You mentioned that Kate was working on a special art project. Do you know what it is?"

Anya stood and went to the back door to check on the girls."She is very secretive. All she said was that it was a commissioned series." She pointed to Natalia. Patricia nodded in understanding.

"I am glad she is getting back into painting."

"During the storm she locked herself in the art room with the shutters closed, drapes pulled tight and earphones on."

"She was always spooked by storms."

"I have never liked them either. We would get them on Marcus Prime. I will certainly not miss them."

"Now all we have to contend with are hurricanes and tropical storms like the one we just had."

"Poor Kacey, during the storm I wanted olives and the replicator was down."

"She looked like a drowned rat just going from your house to ours." Anya said with a laugh.

"She went to the store as soon as the storm ended and bought all sorts of weird crazy stuff to cover all the bases. We will probably never opened many of them. She bought bird's nest soup, gummy worms, which I hope are not real worms and ho hos."

"That sounds like her. The soup can actually be very expensive and delicious. The worms are just candy and not made from real worms. Ho ho's are just a snack cake."

"Did she stock up on olives?" Anya joked.

"She bought a dozen cans and jars of every variety the stores had."

They laughed and finished their tea and plans.

Chapter 4


Neon lights lit up the wide avenue as night descended. The lights did not penetrate the alleys between the tall buildings. Loud music pulsed around the two shadowy figures that walked toward each other.

"What did you find out?"

"It was as I thought. No building is impenetrable no matter how hard they try. I was able to get into the hanger."

"What are they hiding in there?"

"It looks like just another shuttle."

"With all the safeguards they have in place it is not just another shuttle. We need to find out exactly what that craft is and why it is so special."

"I can plant bugs around the room. Eventually those idiots will be in there talking about it. Then we will know everything they do."

"That will not work. With all the precautions, they will do a sweep daily. We need to get someone working in that hanger. They can report back to us."

"I have just the person General. I can arrange a meeting if you want."

"Is he above reproach? Does he have a spotless record?"

"This guy could pass for a boy scout. At least before they started letting degenerates in."

"All right contact him. He needs to be in place when the time comes."

"Understand General." He held out his hand as a thick envelop was held out. The shadows drifted apart.

--------------------------

The day of the restaurant arrived opening under a brilliant blue sky. Patricia , Anya and Natalia worked with the chefs to get all the food prepared in time. Decorations were hung. Kacey worked with the sound tech to make sure the sound was perfect for dancing.

The list of preparations grew shorter as the day wore on until they were ready with two hours to spare. Kacey was sent home with Kate and the children to shower and wait for the baby sitters to arrive. She watched the children while Kate showered.

Kate walked out of the bedroom dressed in a white tuxedo complete with tails. Kacey bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing.

"I look like a bloody fool." Kate complained.

"No..." Kacey managed to squeak out. "You look..." She could not continue.

"Go ahead and laugh before you rupture something." Kate snapped.

Kacey released the laughter she was holding in. She laughed until her stomach hurt. "I am sorry Kate. You do not look like a fool. You actually look quite dashing in those duds."

"Thank you. What are you wearing?"

"Mom said formal wear, but not my uniform, so I will go with the tux I wore on Andromeda."

She checked the time. "You had better go shower. The sitters will be here in twenty minutes. Mom was adamant that we be there by seventeen thirty hours."

"Yeah I had better. You monsters be good for Auntie Kate." Kacey told her children and left to shower and dress.

Kate played with the children as she waited for the sitters. She was careful not to get the white tux dirty. She wanted nothing, no matter how small to ruin this night for Patricia, Anya and Natalia. "Plus." she thought, I would never hear the end of it from Mom or Anya."

The sitters arrived together. Kate gave their girls their instructions and left with the younger children and their sitter for the short walk to Kacey's place. She rang the bell.

Liam opened the door. "Come on in Katie. Kacey will be down shortly." He wore a black tux, cut along the same lines as Kate's complete with tails.

"Dad you look very handsome."

"Thank ye lass. You look very good in your duds also."

"I look like an escapee from a "B" movie."

"No Katie. I believe our ladies have a reason for these very formal duds. They will be getting showered and dressed there so I am thinking they will have special clothes also."

"I know Talia bought a new dress. I told her to." Kacey said as she walked down the stairs. Her jacket over her arm. She held her arms out for Kate to fasten the cuff links. Instead of a tie she wore a crisp white cravat. After Kate fastened the cufflinks she took the large blue tie tack from her and fastened it to the cravat. Kacey put on the jacket. The dark blue brought out the blue in her eyes. "Thanks Kate." She said as she turned and adjusted the cravat. "I just need to get my violin and I will be ready to go." She left them and returned with the violin case, stand and small briefcase of music sheets. "What is the line up for tonight?"

Liam pulled a paper from his pocket. "Ribbon cutting is at eighteen hundred hours. Followed by cocktail hour until nineteen thirty hours. Then dinner and music until two hundred hours." He checked the time. "Shall we go now so that we have time for a week drink before it get too crazy?"

"Why not." Kate said and looked at Kacey who shrugged.

"Sure." She bent down and kissed their children. "Be good for Jordan, monsters."

"They are always good, General. Have fun tonight." Jordan stated and sat down on the floor with the twins.

The three walked out to the rover. Kacey handed Kate her violin and climbed into the driver's seat with Liam in the back.

"I wanted to ask you earlier, when do you go into the recording studio?"

"Next week. I have arranged for several members of the orchestra to be there for back up."

"Will you be making an announcement about signing the contract?"

"Not yet. I want to keep it in the family for now."

"Ahh lass, that might now be possible now." Liam stated.

"What do you mean dad?" Kacey asked as she looked over her shoulder.

"Now do not be getting mad at your mother. She is very proud of you. We both are. She wanted..., well she wants everyone to know."

"Damn," Kacey sighed.

"What is the big deal about people knowing?" Kate asked.

"I did not want to give Wilhelm any more ammunition against me."

"What has that bastard done now?"

"From what General Millhouse told me that day at the base, he is still making trouble, especially after he was removed from the Joint Chiefs."

"Wilson has been grumbling also. Admiral Tacher wants to send him to the base at the North Pole."

"Tis a good place for him" Liam stated angrily.

"You will not get any arguments from us." Kate stated.

"As long as they send Wilhelm to the South Pole." Kacey added. "Oh no." She exclaimed as they pulled up to the road leading to the restaurant. The rover stopped as they looked at the large banners. On every the light poles that lined the road, large banners with her picture on them hung for everyone to see. The bold words "FINE ART'S RECORDING'S LATEST STAR APPEARING TONIGHT."

"Now do not be getting angry with her. Natalia said it would be all right."

"I am not mad at her, dad." Kacey stated as she started the rover moving again. "Tell me are there any other surprises tonight?"

"Maybe one or two, but I have been sworn to secrecy."

The rover stopped and the got out to enter the building. A valet hurried to move the rover out of the way. News vans and reporters filmed their arrival. They would film everyone as they would arrive and hoped they would get to interview the owners and guests as the night progressed.

Two large black transports arrived. The darkened windows hiding the occupants. Men is dark tuxedoes entered the building while several others lined the porch. Their dark glasses hid their eyes and allowed them to watch people who arrived. Workers began to arrive and were stopped by the men. One spoke into a small microphone on his shoulder and nodded as he received an answer through the ear piece.

Patricia came out and verified that they worked for the restaurant. She handed papers to the men with the names and pictures of all the employees. As each person arrived, they checked the list and pictures before allowing the people inside. With the rumor circulating that the President and First Lady would attend the opening, security was tight. With all the security measures, the rumor was verified.

More and more people arrived as the official hour of opening grew closer. Kacey and Liam carried out two stanchions which they set up across the top step of the porch, for the official ribbon cutting.

The line of transports continued to wind it's way towards the restaurant. The television crews filmed the arrival of all the guests. It may only end up as a filler on the news if it is a slow news day. Anytime the President made an appearance, not to mention all the service brass that milled about, but also, if the signs were right a new recording artist would be appearing, it was news. The reporters hoped for an interview later after the opening ceremonies.

One of the owners came out and invited the news crews inside as long as they did not disturb the guests. A large transport arrived. The windows also blacked out drove up to the restaurant. The men who stood guard snapped to attention. The transport stopped. Patricia, Anya and Natalia stepped out onto the porch as the door opened. The President and First Lady stepped out of the transport and walked up the stairs to meet the women. The crowd applauded. They waved to the people and went into the restaurant.

Kate snapped to attention even though she was not in uniform. "Madame President, Mrs. Cord welcome to Patsy's Restaurant. Your being here has made our mother extremely happy."

"At ease Admiral. You look very dashing in those tails." The president stated. Kate relaxed.

"Thank you Madame President."

"Seeing as this is an informal event, do you mind if I called you Kate?" The President asked.

"Not at all Madame President. My family appreciates you taking time out from your busy schedule to be here tonight. Mom is very excited."

"After hearing so many comments about her cooking at the banquet, there was no way I would turn down an opportunity to sample it."

"She will be back out shortly to talk to you." Kate explained.

"Do not worry Kate. I imagine there are hundreds of things going on right now. Tell me are the signs true? Did Kacey sign a recording contract?"

"Will she be playing tonight?" Samantha Cord asked.

"Yes to all your questions. Several musicians from the orchestra they put together on Andromeda will also be playing tonight."

"Really?" Samantha asked. "I heard stories about how good they were."

"They were Mrs. Cord. Tonight you will get to hear just a small section of them."

"Madame President, Mrs. Cord, I am sorry I had to leave you." Patsy said as she walked out of the kitchen. "Welcome to Patsy's."

"Thank you Patricia."

Kacey walked into the room, spotted the President, snapped to attention and saluted the President. She returned the salute.

"At ease General. You are not in uniform."

"Force of habit Madame President." Kacey stated and relaxed.

"Mrs. O'Malley, thank you for your invitation." Samantha said.

"Patricia please, I apologize for having to leave you right after you arrived."

"Nonsense, we fully understand. This is an extremely busy time for you, and Meghan and I want to wish you the best of luck."

"Thank you. You could be right about being busy. Could we get you a drink before it really gets crazy? My daughters in law are almost ready."

"We would love one." The President answered and they walked to the bar.

-------------------------------
The best comment anyone could say about the motel room was that the roof kept the rain off for the most part. Faded dingy curtains that at one time may have matched the equally filthy bed spread that might at one time have been blue. The cracked pealing wall covering may have once held a pattern, but years of abuse had faded the design. A scarred table stood by the window. It's mismatched legs and the chairs were different and old fashioned. The window held years of grime that let in very little sunlight.

The door opened to admit two men. A third walked out of the small bathroom.

"What did you find out." The older man demanded.

"Good evening to you also." The man sneered as he picked up the blueprints from the bed. "There is a way to get into the hanger through this drainage pipe. It runs from the hanger to this large storage tank. I entered here and came up inside the hanger. You were right, there is a ship in there. From the amount of equipment and parts there will be more."

"What is so special about this ship that they have to keep it secret?" The younger man asked as he absent mindedly rubbed a arm that had been broken years ago.

"That is what we need to find out." The older man said angrily. "You just keep your mouth shut and listen."

"I was able to see the ship. The hull was a metal I have never seen before. I could not get into the ship this time, but I will be able to with a little work."

"In the next two weeks? Because that is when the base is scheduled to be fully operational."

"I know someone who can crack any code. He will be able to get into that ship."

"Get it done. We need to find out what they are hiding."

"It will cost you, General."

"Name your price."

"Five hundred thousand credits. Half to be paid before he even goes in, the balance after the job is done."

"Five hundred thousand? That is outrageous." The young man shouted.

"Peter shut up. If you had not been so stupid and pulled that foolish stunt years ago, you could have been the one running that base instead of that dyke bitch." He pulled a device from his pocket and typed for a minute.
"What is his name?"

"Brian Danson."

He put in the name and hit enter. A narrow strip of paper came out the top. He handed it to the man. "Half now, the remainder when he breaks the code and we can get into that ship."

"It will get done."

"Also we need to have ears inside as well as eyes if your man can pass security."

"Like I said General, he will. From what I have seen, they do security sweeps twice a day to make sure there is no electronic surveillance. However I believe I can get past the scans."

"Get it done and it will be worth your time and energy. I expect you to report to me before the end of the week." The man nodded. "Let's go Peter."

The two left and climbed into the transport.

"You are never going to let it go are you father."

"Let it go? You screwed up your chance to be a General. It could have been you who returned successfully from that space mission, but no you had to major is being a slack off for four years then pull that stupid stunt. Forgetting anything you might have learned and got kicked out one week before graduation. Your stupidity allowed her, a woman, to get the better of you. So no, I will never forget it or let it go. Hopefully it will be a reminder to not screw up again. Now drive boy before someone sees us."

---------------------------

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for coming here tonight and joining our family for this day." Patricia stated and took the large scissors from Liam. She handed them to the President. "Madame President, would you do the honors?"

"It would be my pleasure, Patricia." She said. "I did not prepare any statements tonight so you all will not be bored by a long winded speech." The crowd cheered. "It give me great pleasure, and even though this is not an official Presidential act, to declare that Patsy's is officially open for business." She cut the ribbon to more cheers and applause. The crowd followed her into the restaurant. The family stood on each side of the double doors and shook hands with each person as they entered.

The staff hurried to fill drink orders and lay out hot and cold finger foods at each table for the cocktail hour. During the socializing, chefs brought out chafing dishes of food. The mood was light. Patricia with Anya and Natalia walked around the room greeting their guests. Kate stood next to the bar watching Anya. The dress she wore, made any coherent thoughts leave her head as soon as Kate saw her walk out of the office. Her fingers tingled, wanting the night to be over so that she could take her time removing it.

"Kate, Kate, Kate, such thoughts." Kacey stated as she joined Kate at the bar.

"Oh are you a mind reader now?" Kate asked.

"I don't need to be. Not with that look of put unadulterated lust on your face." Kate blushed which made Kacey laugh. She signaled the bartender for two brandies. Liam brought them their drinks. "Thanks dad,"

"Katie are ye all right?" He asked which made Kacey laugh harder.

"I am fine dad." Kate replied, not taking her eyes off Anya.

His eyes looked where Kate was looking. "Ah, no need to be explaining anything." He chuckled and went back to helping the bartenders.

"Thanks a lot little sister."

"Nice to know that I can make you blush after all the times our positions were reversed."

Kate cleared her throat. "How was your meeting with General Millhouse?"

"There is not a lot I can tell you about right now, but it went very well. How was your with the Admiral?"

"The same. Nothing we can discuss here. One of my first official duties will be visiting the base. We can talk then." Kate said. "How is Natalia feeling?"

"The morning sickness seems to have ended. She went to the doctors yesterday and everything is good. There are definitely two heart beats and no shadows or echoes this time. There are only two babies."

"You sound disappointed.""

"No, not at all. Well maybe a little. It is just, Hell, when we thought they might be more than two we went through the whole gamut of emotions. Shock, joy, worry, fright, then yesterday, when that echo was not there, relief at least for me. Natalia doesn't know that last one and I would like to keep it that way. I feel as if I am betraying her."

"For heaven's sake why?"

"We both wanted more children and were wrapping our minds around the thoughts of triplets. Talia was really excited. She was more than a little let down yesterday and I feel like pond scum for not feeling the same."

"I am going to give you some big sisterly advise."

"You mean older sister don't you."

"Whatever, but be happy that you have a growing family. You are all healthy. It does not matter if there are two or three babies. There can be more if you so desire. Enjoy your life and do not waste your time and energy with worries or regrets."

"Okay. Thanks for the advice." Kacey held up her glass. Kate clinked her against it.

"Is this a private party or can anyone join in?" Rhea asked. "Sorry we are late, Bella had a last minute problem crop up."

"Something at the base?"

"Yeah but it has been taken care of. I will tell you about it later"

"I thought we were all on vacation? Why are you being bothered with problems on the base?" Kate asked.
Bella shrugged.

"Kate is buying so what would you like to drink?" Kacey asked.

"I will have a draft beer." Bella stated.

"Make that two." Rhea added.

Kacey held up her hand to get the attention of one of the bartenders. He nodded and brought their drinks. They all heard a tap on the microphone.

"Honored guest, it is my pleasure to announced the buffet is open." Patricia stated from the stage. People lined up at the three buffet tables.


To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page