Disclaimers: This a love story between two women. While this installment doesn't have any sex, it does portray an affectionate relationship between two consenting adult women. If this offends you, or you are under the age of eighteen you might want to go elsewhere. All of the characters are my own although they may possibly look like our favorite duo. The story itself is loosely based on how I see my own life may be in fifteen or twenty years. The characters are actual people in my life who have given me permission to use their characterizations. The song in this story is also my own. This is my first effort in fan fiction. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think and if you want to read more. You can contact me at beautiful_strangertx@yahoo.com I also want to say thanks to my bard friends for inspiring me to write and to T.W. for being my beta reader and friend, you are a goddess.



Ms. O' Connor Goes to Washington

By S. Lee

 

Super Tuesday, March, 2012

Jordan O' Connor had waited for this day her entire life. Here she was on primary day, surrounded by her closest friends and her family, waiting to see if she would be the next Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate. Ahead all night, she was waiting for the final results. The room held its breath as it was announced over the television that she had indeed won the nomination. A surge of adrenaline rushed through her veins. The room was filled with screaming. Her kids hugged her. Her mother said she was proud. Laura, Her best friend and campaign manager, hugged her as they looked at each other with both fear and relief. They had been best friends since they met at church when they were seventeen. They both majored in Political Science, and loved it. They had had a brief relationship but both agreed they were better as friends. When Jordan ran her first campaign for county commissioner 16 years ago, Laura was the first person she called. Jordan moved away from the crowd and sat down to take in the events of the night. It had been a tough primary and now the hard work had paid off. It was also just beginning. She looked around the room, and realized she had everything she ever wanted. She had two beautiful kids; a son who played football for the University of Texas and a daughter who was about to graduate from High School with honors. Jordan was the first open lesbian in the state of Texas to run for the U. S. Senate. She had it all. All except the one person who truly made her complete. That was lost.

Jordan was brought out of her thoughts by the ringing of the phone.

"Hello" she answered. It was her Dad.

"Hi honey, congratulations. I am so proud of you."

Jordan smiled. "Thanks Daddy. We've waited a long time for this."

"Well you know you're the only democrat I have ever voted for. " This made her laugh.

"Thanks Dad. The way you never agreed with me, I was wondering whether you would or not."

He laughed in return. "Just don't make me regret it."

She laughed again. " I won't Daddy."

"I love you, squirt."

"I love you too, Daddy. Bye." She smiled as she hung up the phone. She was 46 years old; a candidate for the U. S. Senate, and still her Dad could reduce her to an eight-year-old.

The phone rang again and so did the doorbell. The phone call was from James, Jordan's ex-husband. He was congratulating her. The doorbell was the local TV station. She told Laura to handle the phone calls while she went to the door.

KSAT 12 News Live at the victory celebration for U. S. Senate candidate Jordan O' Connor. "Ms. O' Connor do you have any comments about tonight's results?"

"Yes, thanks, Randy. First of all, I want to thank all of the people who worked for the campaign. There were a lot of hours put in, and it has paid off. I want to thank the other candidates for a well fought race. I also want to thank all of my family and friends for their love and support. I have dedicated the last sixteen years of my life for the last sixteen years to serving the citizens of San Antonio and Texas. I look forward to the opportunity to serve not only this great state, but the rest of the country as well."

"Thank you Ms. O'Connor. Leslie, back to you."
Jordan walked back into her house. "Ok. Laura, what did I miss? Did y'all catch that? How did I sound?"

"Everyone is calling. You sounded great and you looked good."

"Thanks. Ok, where's the champagne? It's time to celebrate, because tomorrow the real work starts." The party continued until the early hours of the morning. After everyone left and the kids went to bed, and Jordan made her way to her room. Alone.

Lying there in bed, she remembered her first campaign for Bexar County Commissioner when she was 30 years old. She had been divorced for over a year and was ready to start making her career happen. She called on all of the people she had worked campaigns for and with. Laura ran her campaign. Jordan wanted a career in politics, and that was her main focus. She never expected or even wanted to fall in love. It was on this campaign that Jordan met Cynthia Price. As much as she tried to resist, Jordan lost her heart to this woman. The sweet-tempered, powerful blonde was a hotshot on her way to publicist stardom. She was incredibly talented and liked the idea of helping a woman get elected. Her abilities were widely sought after and Jordan was lucky to have her help. Cynthia, who could smooth over any situation, was almost the exact opposite of Jordan. Cynthia was short and blonde. Jordan was tall and dark. Jordan was aggressive and sometimes a little hard around the edges. She had a tendency to be overly serious and sullen. In contrast, Cynthia had this light that emanated from her. People were drawn to her kind nature. . Jordan also had her own sense of time, frequently stopping to talk to a child or an elderly person, which was frustrating for the schedule-oriented Cynthia. The two women shared the goal of changing the world, making it better. As different as they were, they meshed completely. Cynthia helped Jordan open up and get over her fears of falling in love. Jordan made Cynthia stronger, tougher. Conversely, Cynthia made Jordan softer, more compassionate.

Jordan recalled the years she and Cynthia spent together. There were so many wonderful times. They had a beautiful courtship. Jordan loved coming home to her partner and her kids. She thought of the Christmas mornings when they cuddled watching the kids open up their presents. She and Cynthia were the perfect couple. Jordan loved Cynthia's fire and determination. Being with Cynthia was like nothing Jordan had ever known. Cynthia brought Jordan magic, and passion, and peace all at once. They were deeply in love and career-wise; they were an amazing match. Jordan wanted to be a U. S. Senator more than anything. Cynthia was always there to help her on the steps toward that goal. Jordan was so focused on her career. Cynthia knew the game, how much Jordan wanted her career, and understood. She understood up to a point. Jordan remembered how they fought over the time she spent with the Democratic Party. Cynthia fell in love with the kids from the beginning and hated it that Jordan never gave her any credit or acknowledgement for everything she did for them. Looking back Jordan realized how she took Cynthia for granted. She also remembered how they made up, how Cynthia felt in her arms and against her body when they made love. In the end, Cynthia couldn't deal with a partner who was never there when she needed. Six years after the split, Jordan's heart still ached. She spent all of her time with her kids and her career. She dated many women, but none could touch her heart. As she drifted off to sleep that night, Jordan's thoughts were on Cynthia.

After the breakup, Cynthia went back to Dallas and devoted herself completely to her career. She worked for some very high-profile clients such as President Jessica Davis. She dated occasionally and tried to have a couple of relationships but her heart belonged to Jordan. Every year when the kids' birthdays or a special holiday came around, she would spend the day crying and remembering happier times with her family. Cynthia had thought many times that she had made a mistake, but was too proud to pick up the phone to call Jordan. She watched the coverage of the election and beamed with pride at Jordan's accomplishment. She wished she were with her family and her lover. She would love to be there to help Jordan meet her goal.

Laura was over early the next morning to start planning. They needed a staff, a campaign bus, and they needed to start raising funds. Jordan looked up from the very long list of things they needed. "Oy, Laura, remind me why I wanted to do this again."

"To make the world a better place, remember? Plus, it has great perks, including a really nice pension and taking me with you as your PA."

That made Jordan laugh."Oh yeah. I remember now. Let's call James to be head of security. Ask Sammi to drive the campaign bus. Oh, and get a bus for our campaign tour of the state. We need some PR people, a treasurer, and funds. Let's get all of this set up now. Things are going to get hairy in the summer and fall."

" I know. I called the Democratic Headquarters this morning and they're working on some fundraisers. Human Rights Campaign also called. They're contributing. We need to set up a campaign office."

" Let's get started on that today. I can take out some money I have in a mutual fund. I'll go lease some office space today. We need start calling all of our big contributors that have helped us before so that we can actually pay a staff. Call some of our friends and see if they would do a fundraiser"

"Speaking of staff, Jordan, I want to call Cynthia to come work with us." Laura was afraid of mentioning this fact to her friend, but Cynthia was the best and she hoped maybe the two could patch things up.

"WHAT THE HELL??? You're not calling her! I haven't talked to her in years and I'm not about to start by asking her to work the campaign. "

"Jordan, this is her area of expertise. She's one of the best. We have to have everything in our favor to win this. She knows you and can help you the most." Jordan began to freak out at the thought of having to work with Cynthia everyday.

"DAMNIT TO HELL, LAURA, SHE WALKED OUT ON ME!"

"THAT WAS YOUR FAULT, MY FRIEND. YOU GAVE HER NO CHOICE."

"I AM STILL FUCKING NOT OVER HER! YOU KNOW THAT! I CAN'T DEAL WITH HER ON A DAILY BASIS!"

"Jordan listen, I know the split was tough, but how long have we been working on this? We have been waiting for this since we were seventeen. We are so close. We need the best and she's it. She also knows you and can help you present yourself to show your strengths. How badly do you want this Jordan? Think of everything that you have sacrificed to get this far. Do you want to give up now?"

Jordan knew Laura was right. They had been friends for nearly thirty years. There was no one that Jordan trusted more. So she sighed and resigned herself to the fact that if she wanted to win this election, she would have to have Cynthia's help. "No. Call her then, damnit. She may not even agree to help. Hell, I'm almost hoping she doesn't. Start making calls and I'll go to the bank and call a realtor.

Laura and Jordan went their separate ways to accomplish their tasks. 'Cynthia I hope you agree to this, she needs you in more ways than one.' Laura took a deep breath, gathered her courage and dialed Cynthia's number.

"Cynthia Price."

"Cynthia. It's Laura." Cynthia's heart stopped. She both feared and hoped for a call from Laura. She knew what it was about.

"Laura. It's been a long time."

"I know. How have you been?"

"Good. How is Jordan? I watched all of the election coverage. I'm very proud of her. I wanted to call, but wasn't sure if I could or if she would want me to."

"She's good. Actually she's why I called. I want you to come work with us."

"I don't know, Laura. It took me a long time to get past the breakup. I'm not sure I can deal with it again." 'I don't know if I can face her every day without breaking my heart.'

"Cynthia. I know you have nobody in your life right now. I also know how long you worked with Jordan to help her career. You have an emotional investment at stake here. She needs you. If nothing else, think of how much good she can do. Please help her Cynthia."

Cynthia felt her resolve fading."Damnit, Laura. I'm still not over her. "

"Cynthia. If you still love her, then help her." Cynthia thought for a minute. She knew Jordan wanted this more than anything. She also knew she could win. After a long silence, Cynthia resigned herself to the fact that she loved Jordan and would do anything for her, even endure the sweet agony of seeing her everyday without being able to touch or hold her. 'Maybe I'll at least get to know the kids again.'

"Ok Laura. You win. I'll do it."

"Thank you, Cynthia. I promise you are doing the right thing." Laura felt relieved. 'Please trust me my friend, you won't regret it. I only hope Jordan decides not to let this last chance of true happiness slip by.'

"I'll be down at the end of the week, Laura."

"'K. I 'll. let Jordan know." Laura knew how much Jordan and Cynthia meant to one another. She was the one to hold Jordan after Cynthia left. She also knew that Cynthia had not had any other serous relationships since Jordan. She liked Cynthia and wanted her two friends together again. They were soulmates.

Jordan was signing lease papers with a realtor. "Ms. O' Connor, I just wanted to tell you what a pleasure it is to help you with this. You can count on my partner and myself for votes in November."

"Thank you Ms. Johnson. I can't wait to move into this space. It has plenty of room for volunteers and in a great location. By the way, we can always use some more volunteers." Jordan flashed her most charming smile. The realtor couldn't help but smile in return.

Laughing. "Normally I don't. But the thought of having family in the Senate to represent us is just too great. We'll be glad to help. "

"Great. We should be set up soon. Just stop by and we'll put you to work. We'll see you soon, then." Jordan picked up the phone to call Laura.

"Hey, Laura. I got the building. It's on San Pedro."

"That sounds great, Jordan. I got our staff. Everyone will be here this weekend. Cynthia is coming too." Jordan's breath caught at the mention of Cynthia's name, but ignored Laura's last statement.

"'K. We need to work on some furniture for the office and we need to get a bus or RV or something."

Laura knew Jordan too well to let her get away with ignoring Cynthia's impending arrival."Yeah, Jordan. I know. It's not a problem. Listen, I know it's going to be hard on you having Cynthia here. Please trust me. I haven't steered you wrong in all these years."

Laura was Jordan's best friend and her most trusted advisor. She sighed, "I know, Laura. I give into you all the time don't I.?"

"Because you're smart, that's why."

"Ok, Ok. I'll talk to you later tonight."

A Week Later at Campaign Headquarters

"O'Connor for Senate. How may I help you? Just one second, please." The room was buzzing with activity. Reporters were calling, supporters were calling, of course being a lesbian candidate in Texas, there were a few hate calls as well. Cynthia walked in and smiled at the familiar hustle and bustle of a campaign office. She walked up to person at the front desk.

"Hi, my name is Cynthia Price. I'm here to see either Laura or Jordan. I' m the new PR consultant."

"Hi, my name is Lauren. Jordan's office is in the back, down that hall. "

"Thanks, Lauren." As Cynthia walked to Jordan's office, she began to shake and had to stop to catch her breath. ' It's been six years,' she thought. 'We had ten years together. Why am I so nervous?' She took a breath and knocked on Jordan's door.

"Come in."

"Jordan?"

"Cynthia. Hi." Jordan wanted to stand up but couldn't move. She finally forced herself to stand up and walk over to Cynthia. They looked at each other awkwardly, both unable to speak. After what seemed like forever, Jordan reached out and pulled Cynthia into a hug. They pulled back a little with their arms still around each other. They looked into each other's eyes and smiled. Jordan was first to speak.

"It's good to see you. I appreciate you doing this. I really want this, Cyn, and I know you can help me."

"Thanks, Jordan. I believe in what you're doing. I always have. I want to help you. I know how much this means to you. You've wanted this since you were a little girl. So, how have you been? How are the kids?" 'God she looks and feels amazing. This is going to be hard working next to her everyday.'

"I've been on a major high since last week. The kids are great. Chris will be on the varsity team next year. We can finally watch him play in the Cotton Bowl like we always dreamed of. Kate has been accepted to Mount Holyoke in the fall." 'I can't believe I am sitting here talking to her like this. I hope she can't hear my heart coming out of my chest.'

"I've missed them so much. They were such a part of my life."

"They've missed you too. When I told them you were coming to work with us, they got really excited. They can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see them either."

"Why don't you come over for dinner this weekend? I'll have Chris come home. I know he wants to see you."

"Are you sure, Jordan?"

"I'm positive, Cyn." They looked at each other and smiled. "Let me show you where your office is. We're going to start on a tour of Texas soon. I need you to come with us and help set things up with local TV crews and newspapers."

"Sounds good. Let me get settled and I'll start coming up with a game plan. We need to think about scheduling debates, photo ops, etc. We start laying all the groundwork now, setting things up, make appearances here and there, do some fundraising, and then this summer, we hit hard."

"I agree, that sounds great. Laura's already calling people up. We've already had a few groups call us and offer to do fundraisers."

"That's great! Who?"

"So far, Human Rights Campaign, National Organization of Women, and the Equal Rights Political Caucus. We're also hitting up some of our bigger past supporters to help us out again."

"Sounds like we're on track so far, but then again it's only been a week or so."

"Tell me about it. This is the most organized time of the campaign. Things will be going nuts soon. Cyn, I am really glad you're here. It's good to see you again. This is the most important race of my life and I can't imagine you not being here. You are a part of this too. "

"Thanks, Jordan, that means a lot. I'm glad I'm here too. I'll see you in a bit. I'm going to get a hold of the Texas Triangle to see if they want to do a special on your campaign, maybe follow it along."

"That sounds good, Cyn, get on it and I 'll talk to you later." Jordan picked up the phone to call her son

"Chris?"

"Hey, Mom." Jordan could barely hear her son over the loud music and noise in the background.

"Son, what is that racket?"

"Mom, I live in a dorm, what do you think?"

Laughing, "Ok, ok. I want you to come home this weekend. You are never going to believe who's coming over. Cynthia is having dinner over at the house this weekend so that she can see you and your sister."

"Wow! Cyn is coming over. I'll definitely be there. I've missed her, Mom. She was like a mother to me, and all of a sudden she was gone and I never saw her again."

Jordan felt a stab of regret at the pain the breakup caused her son." I know you have darlin'. We just thought it would be easier on y'all if she were completely out of our lives. It was my idea. The thought of seeing her all the time when she saw you was too much for me. I assumed I was enough for you and your sister. I was wrong. So be here on Saturday, ok son?"

"Yes, Ma'am. Maybe you two can work things out."

" I know you love her, and if you want to try to have a relationship with her, I think it's a good idea. As far as she and I are concerned, though, I don't think so. We've barely spoken in six years. She may be involved with someone."

"Mom. You two were so great together. You know how kids are. They always want their parents to get back together."

"I know, son. I don't think we'll be getting back together. I do plan on trying to make amends. If you want to reestablish a relationship with her, that's fine with me."

"Thanks Mom. I love you. You are the best, you know that?"

"Thanks, Son. I love you too. Stay out of trouble, ok?"

Saturday Night

Jordan had been nervous all day long.. Kate had teased her mercilessly as she scrubbed and scrubbed to make sure the house looked perfect. Cynthia was coming over for dinner. Cynthia hadn't cooked for her in six years. What if she screwed up? Jordan wondered what would happen, what would she say, would she be able to say anything? Chris walked in the door.

"Hey, mom."

"Hi, son."

"Mom, what's wrong?"

"I'm nervous as hell."

"Why?"

"I haven't spent more than ten minutes with this woman in six years. What if tonight is a disaster?"

Laughing. "Mom, it's ok. Relax. What's for dinner?"

"I finally decided on the chicken and pasta that she always liked."

"Very cool, mom. It will be great, I promise. What time is she coming?"

"She'll be here in an hour."

"Well the place looks great. The yellow roses around the house are a nice touch."

"Yeah, they're her favorite."

"I know. Why are you going to all this trouble, huh?"

"No reason."

"Yeah, right." Chris was laughing.

"Shall I beat you now?"

"Ok, Ok, Ok. I 'll leave you alone."

"Thank you. Now get your stuff out of the doorway….and yes, I will do your laundry."

"Thanks, Mom."

Jordan prepared everything for the evening. She decided she would start the pasta after Cynthia arrived. She was also on her second glass of wine. The doorbell rang and Jordan nearly jumped two feet off the ground. She gathered herself, took a deep breath and answered the door.

Jordan opened the door and just stood there. After a second of just looking at eachother, Cynthia decided to speak.

"Hi, Jordan."

"Hi, Cyn." Jordan was still standing and looking at her.

"Um….Jordan, can I come in ?"

"Oh, yeah. Good Lord, I'm sorry. Come in, please." Jordan chastised herself internally. 'Oh yeah…way to go, moron. Does she have to look so great?'

"Chris, Kate come in here. Cynthia's here."

Chris and Kate come running.

"Oh my God, you two are so grown up. I can't believe it. I have missed you so much." Cynthia hugged both kids fiercely. Jordan noticed that Cynthia had tears in the corner of her eyes. Looking at the three people she loved more than anything in the world, crying and embracing, she realized it was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen.

"Chris, I've been keeping up with the Longhorn football team. I heard you made varsity this year."

"Yeah, I did."

"What are you majoring in?"

"I have to admit, being raised by you and Mom, I got bit by the politics bug. I'm majoring in Poli. Sci."

"I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to watch you play in the Cotton Bowl. I guess it was all of that practice we did as you were growing up."

"Yeah, that fake out move you showed me still works." Cynthia smiled at the memory of her coaching his football team when he was six.

"Ha ha ha! That's my boy. Kate, I hear you are going to Mt. Holyoke in the fall." Cynthia was so proud. Mt. Holyoke was her Alma Mater. She always wanted Kate to go there.

"Yeah. I did really great on my SAT's and pulled out a few scholarships."

"Be sure and go see the Dickinson house in Amherst."

"Of course I will, Cyn. You're the one who got me turned onto Emily Dickinson." Jordan was often gone at bedtime. Cynthia would read Dickinson's poetry to Kate when they would go to bed.

"That's right. What do you want to major in?"

"I have no idea, but I'm thinking English."

"I'm so proud of you both. I'm sorry I've missed so much." Kate reached up to hug Cynthia. "That's ok, Cyn. Just be here from now on, ok?" Cynthia looked over at Jordan's reaction. She smiled when she saw Jordan's small nod. "You bet I will." Cynthia looked over at Jordan and smiled. "It's good to be here with you and the kids, Jordan."

"Its good to have you here, Cyn."

Cynthia couldn't take her eyes off Jordan and Jordan couldn't take her eyes off Cynthia. "The place looks really great Jordan, I love yellow roses."

"I know you do, Cyn. I got them for you. I wanted it to be special."

A warm feeling went all through Cynthia. "It is. Thanks. So, what smells so great?"

"I made the chicken and pasta dish you always loved."

"The one with the peppers and onions?"

"Yep."

"Damn. This is my kind of night." Jordan and Cynthia looked at eachother, smiled and laughed.

The four of them sat and had dinner, talking and laughing. It was almost like they were a family still. After dinner, the kids ran off, leaving Jordan and Cynthia alone.

"Jordan, would you like me to help with the dishes?"

"No. Don't worry about it. Would you like to have some wine and go sit on the couch? We could talk and maybe kind of catch up."

"I'd like that."

"Ok, great. Go on in the living room. I'll get the wine and see you there in a sec." Jordan went into the kitchen. 'Oh my God. She is here, in my house, on my couch and I'm in here freaking out.' Jordan took a minute to calm her nerves before she went back out to Cynthia.

"Ok. I'm back." Jordan handed her a glass of wine and sat down next to her. Cynthia couldn't help but be amazed at how strong Jordan still looked. She could tell Jordan was keeping up with her workouts. They sat together for a couple of minutes, not quite sure what to say. Finally Cynthia spoke, "This is pretty awkward, isn't it?"

"That's putting it mildly."

They both laughed. Jordan continued. "Listen Cyn, I have some things I want to tell you. Actually I have wanted to say this for a while, but not sure how. I want to say that I'm sorry for everything. I never publicly acknowledged you as my partner, even though everyone in our lives knew we were together. I also never acknowledged how important you were to the kids. It dawned on me later that you were like another mother to them. You took care of them when I was out at some function. It was your support at home that allowed me to give my attention to my career. I couldn't have done it without you. I was never there when you needed me. I didn't show you enough how much I cared. I always put other causes and people before you. I know you tried to tell me how you felt. I meant to do better, it was just something I never got around to doing. I was wrong to shut you out of the kids' lives. You were so much a part of them. They suffered because of my foolish pride. So please forgive me?"

Cynthia was stunned by Jordan's admission. She took a minute to gather her thoughts. " I'm not sure how to respond to that. Thank you. Of course, I forgive you, Jordan. It was a long time ago. I prefer to remember all of the great times we had. I loved our family so much. I loved peach picking in the summer, going to Lost Maples in the fall, and watching videos with the kids every Friday. When I look back on our life, that is what I choose to hold onto." Jordan had tears in her eyes and looked at Cynthia, who was also about to cry. Jordan reached out to Cynthia and they held each other and grieved together for their loss. Jordan pulled back and brushed a tear away from Cynthia's eye. "So tell me, Cynthia, what has been going on in your life? I heard you did President Davis' campaign four years ago. Why didn't you do her re-election? "

"I love Jessica, but she's the incumbent. She has plenty of publicity. Plus, I was hoping that a certain candidate for the Senate here in Texas would give me a call, so I kept my options open, just in case." Jordan got very excited at the meaning of Cynthia's words.

"So Cyn, are you seeing anyone? I hope you leaving Dallas wasn't too disruptive."

" No Jordan, I'm not seeing anyone. I tried a few times. It just didn't feel like it did with us. I enjoyed their company, but it just didn't have that spark that I was used to."

" I know what you mean. I dated quite a few women. I just didn't have that all-consuming fire. It's like, once you know what it's like to be with that kind of person, anything else just doesn't do it for you."

"That's exactly it. So I've basically surrounded myself with great friends and lots of work. Although it does get lonely."

"I agree Cyn. Sleeping alone sucks." They both laughed and talked until much later. Finally, Jordan looked at her watch and gasped at the time.

"Hey, Cyn. It's 3 in the morning, why don't you stay in the guestroom? I really don't want you to drive all the way back to your hotel this late."

"That's sounds great Jordan. I'd like that. Maybe I'll cook breakfast in the morning."

"Could you make those dumplings with the red stuff?"

"Hahahahahaha you could never get enough of those."

"Those weren't the only things I couldn't get enough of."

"I remember that, too." The thought that both of them had sent a red shade of blush to their faces.

"Everything is in the guestroom Cyn. If you need anything, just holler."

"Ok, Jordan. Thanks. I'll see you in the morning." They closed the space between them for a hug, holding each other for a long time. Pulling back, they looked into each other's eyes. Jordan couldn't help herself. She had to touch Cynthia's lips. Jordan moved her hands up to cup Cynthia's face, then placed a soft kiss on her lips. Cynthia accepted and returned the gentle kiss.

"Goodnight, Cynthia."

"Goodnight, Jordan."

That night, both Cynthia and Jordan tossed and turned. They couldn't get their minds off the kiss. It was so sweet, so innocent, and so gentle. As gentle as it was, though, it was also powerful. It brought back ten years of love, laughter, and tears. Jordan got up and walked to the guestroom door. She decided not to be a fool. She slowly and quietly walked back to her room. That night, Cynthia also got up and walked to Jordan's bedroom door. She too quietly walked back to her room.

Jordan couldn't take it anymore. She was so wet. Her thoughts went to Cynthia and the love that they used to make, the way her skin looked in candlelight. She touched herself, imagining it was Cynthia's hands on her and inside her. In the guestroom, Cynthia was pleasuring herself thinking of Jordan's mouth on her body, Jordan's face above her, Jordan's little growl in her ear. As each rose to her own climax, she softly called out the other's name.

The next morning found Jordan with little sleep and lots of excess energy. She went to her garage to work out on her punching bag. Kicking with everything she had and punched using all of the sexual frustration inside her. She let Cynthia sleep in, remembering how much she loved to sleep late. Cynthia woke and checked the garage for Jordan. She remembered how Jordan liked to work out. She opened the door and held her breath. Jordan looked beautiful and strong. Cynthia's heart beat wildly. She had to take a second to get herself in control before she made her presence known.

"Jordan."

"Hey, Cyn, you're awake."

"Yeah, finally. Why didn't you wake me?"

"I know how you like to sleep late on Sundays."

"Where are the kids?"
"They're still sleeping."

"I'll get started on those dumplings if you like."

"You don't have to." Jordan got a childlike grin on her face. "But I'd love it."

"Then I'll get started."

"Let me go get washed up and I'll help."

"That sounds great, Jordan. I'd like that

Jordan took a quick shower and the two of them made breakfast together, talking and laughing. They both felt more alive in each other's presence. When the kids came to breakfast, they all sat around the table.

"Cyn. Thanks for breakfast."

"You're welcome, Chris."

"When do you have to be back?"

"I 'm leaving in a little bit. I have a paper to work on. Is my laundry done, Mom?"

"Yes, son. It's in the laundry room."

"Thanks." As he left, he grabbed another dumpling."

"Drive safe, son. Call me when you get there."

"Mom, it isn't even two hours away."

"I don't care. Just do what I ask, please. I love you."

" 'K. It was great to see you, Cyn. I'll be working on the campaign this summer, so I 'll see you all the time. I love you too, Mom."

"It was great to see you, Chris. I can't wait to have you with us on the campaign.."

Jordan turned to her daughter, "so what are you doing today Kate."

"I'm meeting Chelsea and Kaitlin and we're going to the mall and a movie."

"Do you have homework?"

"No, not this weekend."

"Who's driving?"

"Me."

"Ok. Be careful and be sure to be home by 9:30. You have school tomorrow."

"Yes, Mom. Bye, Cyn. I 'll see you later."

"Bye, Kate. Have Fun."

"Well, it looks like I'm going to be all alone today. Cyn, why don't you go to your hotel and pick up your swimsuit, then come back and spend the day here at the pool." Jordan wasn't ready to say goodbye to Cynthia yet. Cynthia wasn't ready to leave.

"Actually since I have very few relaxed Sundays left, I need to take advantage of them. I would love to spend the day around the pool."

Jordan had to hide her excitement. "Great. Go get your suit and we can grill something this evening. "

"That sounds great. I'll be back in a bit."

Jordan was so excited. An entire day alone with Cynthia, with very little clothing, 'Oh My God.' Jordan changed into her suit and stared at herself in the mirror, turning around to see herself in different angles.'Still look good'. The doorbell rang and brought Jordan out of her thoughts. Jordan took a deep breath and opened the door. "Hey, Cyn. Come in."

"Hey, Jordan."

"Come on to the back. You can just put your clothes in the guest room."

"Thanks."

It was a gorgeous Texas day. The sun was shining, the water was sparkling. Cynthia couldn't keep her eyes off of Jordan. Her body still looked gorgeous after the years. Jordan turned on some music. Cynthia took off her shorts and her shirt to reveal her amazing body in her swimsuit. Jordan stared from the stereo while Cynthia took her clothes off. She was still staring at Cynthia when she tripped walking towards her. "Are you ok, Jordan?"

Jordan's face turned beet red. "Yeah. I'm fine. Thanks." 'I am such a spaz. What the hell is wrong with me? She looks so good.'

Cynthia chuckled inside. 'I see she noticed what I was doing. This could be fun.'

"Would you like something cold? I have beer, juice, cokes, and water."

"A bottle of water would be great."

Jordan walked up to her to give her the water. Their eyes locked.

"You look beautiful, Cynthia."

Cynthia's eyes never left Jordan's. "So do you." Jordan handed her the water and stepped back…quickly. She walked over to the pool and dove in. The cold water felt good on her overheated skin. Cynthia smiled at the effect she was having on Jordan. Cynthia joined her and they spent their time playing, swimming, and talking. They talked about the interviews Jordan would be doing this week with Texas Monthly and the Texas Triangle. Cynthia looked up at Jordan, who had swum close to her until they were only inches apart..

"Can I tell you something, Cynthia?"

"Of course, Jordan."

"Ever since I saw you, I've been thinking about you. Actually, I've never stopped. Last night, having you here, kissing you, felt so amazing. I haven't felt anything like it in so long."

"I know what you mean, Jordan. I never stopped thinking about you, either. Staying up all night talking with you felt so good. Even though it wasn't a major kiss, it had a definite effect on me."

"Really?"

"Yes."

Jordan put her hands on Cynthia's face and pulled her in. kissing her softly at first, their need for more took over and the kiss deepened. With tongues dancing, both women were finally able to express the passion that had been held within for six years. All of the aching, the love, and the pain came out in that moment. Jordan pulled Cynthia closer, holding her as tightly as she could. They began to melt into each other, and it became too overwhelming for Jordan. Jordan pulled back and looked at Cynthia. "I have missed you so much, Cyn."

"So have I. I've never really gotten over us." Jordan again brought her lips to Cynthia's as they caressed each other. Jordan's kiss traveled to Cynthia's eyes, down her jaw to her neck, making Cynthia moan. The sound reached straight to Jordan's heart. Cynthia ran her hands through Jordan's hair, loving the feel of it.

"You feel so good Jordan."

Jordan pulled back and looked into Cynthia's eyes. She lifted Cynthia's hand to her mouth and kissed the inside of her wrist, then led her out of the pool and to the hammock under the Live Oak. She lay down and pulled Cynthia down with her. Jordan held her tightly and looked into her eyes. "Honey. You are so beautiful and being with you feels amazing. I am beyond words, and breathless because of you. I'm getting so turned on by you, I'm about to burst. But, I can't make love to you. Not today anyway. I've been waiting for this for six years now, but its moving too fast, if that makes any sense."

Cynthia exhaled deeply. "Complete. I want nothing more than to make love to you. There's nothing I need more. I'm so scared. Our breakup was so hard. I don't even know what's happening between us, what this is. Are we getting back together? Are we back together already? What's happening here? What do you want?"

"I know, baby. I have those same fears. I want us to get to know each other again and maybe try to get back together. The only time in my life I felt complete was with you. I can't get into a commitment with you and have it break up again. I think what's happening here is that we're still crazy about each other. We want to be together. We can't instantly be together, you know?"

"Exactly. So I think we need to cool off and take one day at a time."

They lay together in the hammock, holding each other and talking.

"Jordan, what are you going to do about what happened in Nicaragua."

"Nothing."

"What if it comes out."

"I have been in politics for sixteen years now, it hasn't yet."

"Yes hon. But this is the biggest, highest stakes campaign yet."

"The only people who know other than myself are you, James, Laura, and the villagers."

Noticing that Jordan was getting upset, Cynthia caressed her cheek. "Are you still having nightmares?"

"Not as often, but yes."

"We'll handle it if it comes out, but otherwise we won't approach it ok?"

"Thanks Cyn." They changed their conversation to the antics of the kids when they were younger and began laughing again. After hours of talking and cuddling, Jordan started the grill and they shared a romantic dinner on the deck in the cool night air. Afterward, they moved inside. They shared long, slow kisses and soft intimate touches, and settled on the couch to watch TV. Cynthia reclined into Jordan's arms. There was no place she felt safer. She turned around. "Jordan can you do me a favor?"

Jordan caressed her cheek. "Anything darlin'"

"Would you sing and play your guitar for me?"

Jordan smiled. This was one of the things they loved to do together at night. Cynthia would read, work, or do crossword puzzles and Jordan would play her guitar. "Of course."

Jordan left her spot to go get one of the guitars she collected. She picked up the red Ovation Cynthia bought her for Christmas ten years before. When she returned with the guitar, Cynthia recognized it and beamed. . "You still have it?"

"Of course I do. You got it for me, Cyn."

"I'm glad you kept it."

"I could never part with it. So, what do you want to hear?"

"Whatever you want to play."

Jordan smiled when she thought of the perfect song to play for Cynthia. She began to sing softly.

I hear your heart beat
I hear you breathe
I feel the heat between you and me
I reach to touch you
I pull you near
I need your love to calm my fear
I never dreamed I could fall so fast
With every beat of my heart
You know I start to cry when I look into your eyes
'Cause I've never done this before
Love without watching the door
You take my hand
You say my name
You kiss my face
I do the same
My body trembles
You hold me tight
You whisper "Baby it'll be alright"
I never dreamed I could fall so fast
With every beat of my heart
You know I start to cry when I look into your eyes
'Cause I 've never done this before
Love without watching the door
When daylight comes
You're by my side
I kiss your face
/ squeeze you tight
You've finally found me
You've closed the door
No more running
'Cause I 've come home
I never dreamed I could fall so fast
With every beat of my heart
You know I start to cry
When you look into my eyes
'Cause I 've never done this before
Love without watching the door
Love without watching the door.

Cynthia cried when she heard the song Jordan had written for her. She threw her arms around Jordan. Jordan laughed and had to put the guitar down. She wrapped her arms around Cynthia kissing her tears. "Shhh, baby. It's ok. You don't need to cry."

"That's the song you wrote for me years ago, Jordan. It's still as beautiful as it was then. So are you."

"Cynthia, I wrote that when I first fell in love with you. I was so scared. I wanted to make a commitment to you and to let myself love you. Those feelings are coming back. Holding you, kissing you, makes me tremble. That depth scares me still. But I'm not going anywhere." Cynthia reached up to touch Jordan's face and looked into her eyes.

"Oh, baby. I'm here in this. Just as much as you are. We aren't going to rush this. It's too important."

They held each other close and continued kissing, opening themselves up. As the kisses began to heat up again, Cynthia pulled back. "Jordan, I need to leave now or I'm going to have to throw that moving slowly thing out the window."

Jordan laughed. "You're right. As much as I don't want to, I'll walk you out." At the car they shared one more long kiss. "Have dinner with me this week."

"I'd love to."

"K. I'll see you in the office tomorrow." Softly, their lips met again. "Drive safely baby. Bye" Cynthia drove away and Jordan's heart ached.

To be continued in Part 2.


Return to the Academy