Disclaimer:  See Part 1

Authors Note: Hey, it's been a while since I've updated this story. I've started another story recently and I'm also working on a new one, a conqueror story ;) Though that won't be posted until after this one is finished. I'm glad you all have hung in there, cause this is where the story starts getting interesting! I'm heaps thankful for all the emails i've been getting, and I hope they continue. If you want to email me, my address is jacklavigne13@hotmail .com

Enjoy!

In Need Of A Friend

by

Mikaeli Hooper

jacklavigne13@hotmail .com


Chapter Fourteen

 

In the second it took her to walk through the door and into the hut, a thousand thoughts ran through Alexandria's mind. She truly didn't want to have this conversation with Gabrielle, especially with Xena in the room. She could feel all her pent up emotions bubbling just under the surface of the carefully constructed barriers around her heart. She was hurting, more than she cared to admit. Having spent the past few days with Xena, even in silence, had caused an unbelievable amount of emotions to rise up in her. All the pain and anger she thought she'd left in the past had returned tenfold. She thought she had finally moved on and let go of her past, but she had been wrong.

And her thoughts of Gabrielle weren't much easier on her already bruised heart. They needed to talk so that she could make her understand the choice's she had made. But it would be impossible with Xena listening to every word. She had a hard enough time bearing her heart to the small blonde, but it was too much for her to have the dark haired woman there to listen as well.

You should have just left Xena at the gate, She thought to herself bitterly. Then you wouldn't have to have this conversation.

Two sets of eyes bore into her the second she entered the Queen's hut. Pale blue and emerald green gazed into midnight blue, searching for answers. She glanced between Gabrielle and Xena, trying to understand why the air seemed so thick with tension.

"You wanted to talk to me, my Queen?" Alexandria said, raising a dark red eyebrow at the small blonde.

"Yes, Alexandria, take a seat," Gabrielle gestured to the desk chair as she slumped heavily on the bed.

Alexandria nodded, sitting at the desk, one leg thrown over the arm rest. She looked the picture of indifference even as her insides twisted painfully and her head swirled with emotion. She averted her eyes from Xena, feeling the dark haired woman's gaze burning into her skin. What had they been talking about before she entered for Xena to be looking at her like that?

Gabrielle wouldn't have told her about us... Would she?

She glanced up into cold eyes, a shiver racing up her spine as she held eye contact with the dark warrior.

By the Gods, I'm screwed.

"How?" Gabrielle finally asked Alexandria after a few moments of silence, a small frown on her face. "How did you bring Xena back?"

"I made a trade," Alexandria replied, staring forwards blankly.

"A trade? With who?" Gabrielle questioned.

"The One True God."

"What did you trade for me?" Xena asked from where she stood besides Gabrielle, her arms crossed over her chest. "What did you lose to bring me back, Alexandria?"

"Nothing of worth," Alexandria said softly, closing her eyes in fear that they would give away the truth.

The room was silent for a few moments, each woman lost in their own thoughts before Gabrielle spoke. "I don't understand."

"What is there to understand?" Alexandria felt the anger she'd been pushing down blaze in her chest. "You have Xena back. She's alive. Your lover and soulmate is alive. Can't you just forget about all the little fucking details and be happy?!"

Gabrielle stared in shock at the sudden angry outburst from the red headed woman. She felt her own anger well up as her hands clenched the blankets underneath her.

"No, I can't just forget, Alexandria," Gabrielle said, her emerald eyes blazing. "Unlike you, I can't just forget everything. Why didn't you tell me that you were leaving to bring her back? Why didn't you take me with you? Why did you even bring her back at all? Not to sound ungrateful, because I am. I am so grateful, Alexandria, but why? You hate her. You call her the Destroyer of Nations, and yet you bring her back from the dead. Why?"

"Because you love her!" Alexandria shouted as she rose from her seat, throwing her hands up in the air. "Because she's your soulmate and there will never be anyone else for you. At least not anyone else as good as her."

"How stupid of me," Gabrielle laughed mirthlessly. "To have thought that maybe you could have been someone else I could love."

Gabrielle gasped as the words escaped from her mouth, her eyes wide at her confession. Alexandria stared at the small blonde before glancing to Xena, who had been silent throughout the arguement.

"Did you just say what I think you said?" Xena said, her voice low and menacing. Danger seemed to start seeping from the woman's pore's as hey eyes sparkled with fury.

"Xena," Gabrielle started as she stood up to face her soulmate, but the dark haired warrior cut her off.

"No, what did you just say, Gabrielle? Did you just say that you loved her? Are you in love with Alexandria?" Xena's voice was quiet, though her anger and hurt was easily heard.

"No, I... I don't..." Gabrielle stumbled over her words as she reached out towards her lover, but Xena stepped back, laughing mirthlessly.

"You're lovers, aren't you?" She said, gritting her teeth as her pale eyes turned towards the red headed woman. "Aren't you, Alexandria?"

"No, we're not," Alexandria replied coldly. "We were, but not anymore."

"You son of a Bacche," Xena growled menacingly as she stalked towards Alexandria. "How dare you-"

"How dare I?" Alexandria spat, her eyes cold. "You have no right to be pissed off at me, Xena. Before you get angry at anyone, why don't you tell Gabrielle how we know one another?"

The room went deadly silent as the blood drained from Xena's face. The coldness and anger in the icy eyes diminished as Xena gazed sadly at Alexandria.

"No," Gabrielle said, shaking her head. "No, Alexandria, you said...You said you don't know each other. I don't... Xena?"

Xena closed her eyes, taking a deep breath before turning away from Alexandria to look at the bard. As their eyes locked, Gabrielle saw the regret and sadness in the ocean blue eyes and she knew instantly how they knew each other.

"No," Gabrielle whispered as tears welled up in her eyes. "No, Xena... Please, tell me it wasn't you. Tell me you weren't her lover. Please."

"Gabrielle," Xena said softly, her heart aching as she reached out towards the small blonde, who recoiled from her touch. "Gabrielle, please. You have to understand, I was different back then."

"I can't," Gabrielle gasped, covering her mouth with shaking hands as tears spilled down her cheeks. "Oh Gods, I can't believe this."

And without another word, she turned and ran from the hut, leaving the two women alone.

#

To Be Continued

 

Author's Page

Return to the Academy